“Excellent food but a little pricey” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 684 Restaurants in San Juan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Miami, Florida
“Excellent food but a little pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

The restaurant was conveniently located near the hotel me and my boyfriend were staying and since I’ve read a lot of reviews about it we decided to go. The service was really good; we didn’t have to wait to be seated although the place was packed. The food was really good! I got the fiesta cubana (not sure this is the right name) and my boyfriend got the palomilla stake with rice and red beans. The rice (congris) was excellent and the yuca con mojo too. The meat was delicious and so was the tamal. I would definitely recommend this plate because it has a little bit of everything. I’m Cuban and I can tell you that this was the best Cuban food I’ve had in a long time. We ordered 2 mojitos and they tasted like lemonade, but our server fixed them right away. The price was a little high (around $50) but I guess it’s because I’m used to eating the same food here in Miami for less. Other than that everything was great!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Michigan
“Try the mofongo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

A Puerto Rican colleague recommended this restaurant and it was great. I tried the seafood mofongo, which was absolutely loaded with all manner of seafood (fish, shrimp, crab, squid, etc.) and incredibly tasty. The portion was huge and I could only eat about half. This was partly to save room for the flan for dessert, which is homemade. It was one of the smoothest, richest flans I've eaten and the best one I had on the trip. Five stars.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“Metropol The Worst Place to Eat”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

Metropol is the worst restaurant to eat in Isla Verde, Puerto Rico. My husband, my son and me went there and they served us a fish full of worms. We notify them and they said nothing at all and after all this we have to pay 74.00 for the food. The service was mediocre, we need to call the servers because they were busy talking. Place was not clean neither the bathrooms.
Not Recommended.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, NC
“Excellent dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

I absolutely loved Metropol. My friends and I ate dinner there almost every night of our stay in Puerto Rico. Service was good for the most part - we did have 1 inattentive waiter one night, but other than that, the waiters were very attentive and checked on us regularly and food and drinks were delivered quickly. We loved the food - the meats were seasoned exquisitely and everything was great. Wonderful drinks as well - I recommend the Passion Dream. We loved sitting by the window and checking out the turtles in the pond. I'm going through Metropol withdrawal after a week of being back at home.

Bayonne, New Jersey
“Baffled by Previous Reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

I have dined at the Metropol in Isla Verde at least fifteen times, so I think I'm rather well acquainted with it. Contrary to service being slow, it is extraordinarily fast; in fact, those who like to linger over their dining experience would probably feel as though they're being rushed! The restaurant is bright and airy, with large windows toward the back overlooking greenery. As for the food, I've never had a bad meal there, and I've had the Cuban shredded beef (my personal favorite), the roasted pork, the pot roast, and seafood. For dessert, I've had the "tres leche" cake (a little too sweet), and without question the best cheesecake anywhere. Prices are very modest, especially for metro San Juan. I generally don't drink mixed drinks, but I had a mojito there and was satisfied with it. By the way, I dined once at the Roosevelt Ave. location: same menu, but the food was noticeably inferior.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere