“Great Restaurant!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #251 of 639 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Fish & Chips, Seafood, Spanish, Diner
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Esta página es solamente de Atlántica del VIEJO SAN JUAN, detrás de “El Hamburguer” en Puerta de Tierra.Atlántica del VIEJO SAN JUAN es una auténtica tasca española con 23 años de experiencia como mejor Marisquería de Puerto Rico. Se estableció en el año 1989. Es el restaurante favorito para el deleite de pescados y mariscos frescos preparados al estilo español y para satisfacer el paladar más exigente que busca degustar los frutos del mar. Cuenta con servicio de valet parking, espacio para 118 personas y salón privado con televisor para 25 personas. Se preparan exquisitas Paellas para disfrutar en el restaurante o para llevar, Lubina a la Sal, Pulpo a la Gallega, Salmón relleno de Gambas, Crema Catalana y mucho más. Además, se preparan carnes y pastas. La carne es de alta calidad, Carne Angus Certificada (Certified Angus Beef). Preparan “catering” y menús especiales para actividades o convenciones.
“Great Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Everything was amazing, the food, the service and the wine selection!
Very good presentation and great flavors,
I recommended without a question!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alexander L, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantica Viejo San Juan, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Fegi13,

From Marisquería Atlántica of Puerta de Tierra, Old San Juan, we are glad that you enjoyed a lot the dinner. Our compromise is to give to every customer the best fresh fish, seafood or meat and the best service because every one deserve it.

-It was a pleasure to serve you and see you soon.

Puerto Rico
“Too expensive for the amount and quality of food served...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Excellent service but too expensive for the amount of food served.. The taste is not the best, it was not well seasoned... At the end we visit the shop in the back; products were awesome but cashier was very rude.

Visited February 2013
Hi Mimi 5886,

Thanks for your sincere review. This page is from Marisquería Atlántica of Old San Juan (Puerta de Tierra). We do not have a shop in our restaurant. Please let us know if you visited our Old San Juan's restaurant (behind "El Hamburger" restaurant) or the other. If you have an aditional comment, we invite you to write us at atlanticapr@gmail.com.

We will apreciate your response.
Hendersonville, Tennessee, United States
“Just okay...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Very accomodating to our large group but the food was just okay. The shrimp an resoto was great, the prawns were just okay, and the grouper was very bland and not good. The seafood appetizer sampler was a fried platter of who knows what... it was very average and we had to ask for lots of sauces to made it edible.

The servers were all in Cruise Ship looking attire... very LOVE BOAT which made us all laugh.

Visited January 2013
Dear Kerry A:

Thanks for your visit. We appreciate your honest and sincere comment. It helps us to improve on the aspects that have not been of your total satisfaction. If you have an additional comment, we invite you to write us at atlanticapr@gmail.com.

From Marisquería Atlántica of Puerta de Tierra (Old San Juan).
Stafford, Virginia
“Average Food, Below Average Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My family and I ate at Marisqueria Atlantica on December 30, 2012 while on vacation in San Juan. The restaurant was recommended by a co-worker, who eats there while visiting family in PR.
Things did not start well when I tried to make a reservation. I called their number and the person who answered the phone spoke limited English. He said that he would get someone who did and put me on hold. After waiting 5 minutes (by the timer on my cell phone) I hung up and called back. My Spanish is limited and I couldn't determine if they didn't take reservations or were booked that evening. So I went to the concierge at the hotel and had him call for me. He was told that they didn't take reservations, but he too recommended the restaurant.
When we arrived at 7 pm the first thing we were asked by the host was if we had reservations. I was a little surprised since our concierge was told earlier they didn't take reservations. Even though the restaurant was only about 1/2 full, we waited 10 minutes and were shown to a table in a back room. From those that were also seated in the room while we dined, it appeared this was were they sat the tourists or non-locals.
Our waiter spoke English, and the menu was in both English and Spanish, which was very helpful. They had a variety of appetizers, entrees were in the $22 - $30+ range. They did not have a kids menu, but did make chicken fingers and fries for my 9 year old daughter.
We ordered scallops wrapped in bacon as an appetizer. The plate came with four medium sized scallops, The dish was consistent with scallops that you might have at a reception, nothing to write home about.
For our entrees, my sons each ordered paella (one seafood, one squid ink), my wife ordered grilled chicken (she has seafood allergies), and I ordered the mixed seafood grill. My sons were not impressed with the paella, which they usually love, primarily because the seafood was overcooked. That seemed to be the theme, as my wife's grilled chicken was significantly overdone and almost unedible, as was the seafood on my plate. Though I love seafood, and did eat almost all of the seafood, it was overcooked. For a $30 entree, I would have expected better.
I was tempted to send my wife's chicken back, but that would have required speaking to our waiter, who was notable absent through most of the evening.
The most disturbing thing about the dinner was how a young family with two small children at the table next to us were treated. They were seated shortly after us, but had not received any food by the time we left the restaurant, over an hour later. I'm not sure what the reason was for the delay, as we saw them order, and we talked to them during our meal as their kids were very cute and well-behaved. I would be very disheartened if the reason for their extremely poor service was because they were Indian.
This restaurant was recommended by co-worker, who said his PR family goes there all of the time, and the concierge at the Embassy Suites. Maybe we were there on an off-night which was the cause of the poor food and poor service. Regardless, I won't find out if that was the case because there are too many other great restaurants in PR so I won't be going back to Marisqueria Atlantica again to find out.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Alexander L, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantica Viejo San Juan, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear customer,

Thanks for write us. We greatly appreciate your sincere and detailed feedback, but I wonder if you visited Marisquería Atlántica of Puerta de Tierra or Isla Verde. I need to ask you if you visited one of the Marisquería Atlántica’s Restaurant because this page is from the one who is located in Puerta de Tierra (Old San Juan), close to the Capitol and behind another restaurant called “El Hamburguer”. We are not close to Embassy Suites Hotel. Please, look the photos of our restaurant and write us back to ensure if you visited our restaurant.

Your comments are very important for us because it helps us to know if we are giving the best food and guest service because every customer deserve it. Once again, thanks for write us and please write us back to know if you visited our restaurant.

-From Marisquería Atlántica of Puerta de Tierra
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Best Paella”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Visited on a weekday evening to use a promotional offer for a paella. Very friendly service, even though they knew we had a coupon (not always the case in other restaurants). The seafood paella was outstanding, probably the best I've ever had. Dessert (chocolate cake and flan) was also very good. The menu had many good dishes. Overheard the patrons at the next table as they requested their fish made to order, and the waiter was very responsive and appeared to be very knowledgeable of their product. Ample parking on premises. Will definitely recommend.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alexander L, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantica Viejo San Juan, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Hi nytoparis,

From Marisquería Atlántica of Puerta de Tierra, San Juan, we are glad that you enjoyed a lot the dinner. Our compromise is to give to every customer the best fresh fish, seafood or meat and the best service because every one deserve it.

-It was a pleasure to serve you and see you soon.