“The BEST Mofongo!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Caribbean
Birmingham, Alabama
“The BEST Mofongo!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

LOVE this restaurant and the history it provides! The food is wonderful - make sure to have an appetizer sampler! Great pineapple mojitos and the flank steak is the BEST I have ever tasted!!

Visited February 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“Waited yeArs to visit... Sooo worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I visit Puerto Rico often as my husbands father lives in Caguas. I saw this restaurant on TV many years ago and had to go. Finally on our last trip this past February, I finally got to experience Raices in Caguas.

We went on a Tuesday evening around 7pm and it was near empty with the exception of 2 other tables. The service was commendable and food exceeded my expectations.

To start, we started our meal by ordering Raices del Cielo. A drink served in a tin Pitcher and cups. I highly recommend ordering this to accompany your dinner.

My husband and I both ordered the Chuleta Can Can. This entree was featured on the TV show and we both had to order it and experience what we saw on TV. Basically it's a huge rainbow pork chop. The "crackling" was still attached and by far my favorite part. I ordered rice and beans and my husband had the typical Puerto Rican rice. Both were great side dishes. I stole a bite of my husbands rice and I must admit the Puerto Rican rice was really good, better then mine.

We ordered the flan for dessert. I am a flan addict and am very picky about it. This flan definitely made my favorites list. It was served with condensed milk, nicely presented, texture was smooth and creamy. Delicious.

The restaurant is clean, nicely decorated and the staff are dressed in Puerto Rican costume. Which really adds to the experience and ambience.

It is a bit pricey. Like going to San Juan for an expensive Puerto Rican meal but definitely worth it.

Can't wait for our next visit.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Caguas, Puerto Rico
“Local food in a noisy atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Favored by locals since the food is composed basically of puertorrican dishes. Decorated as a tipical country house, waiters dress according to tradition and are friendly and nice. Accoustic are bad and you can hardly hear what your partner is saying.
Tourist looking for the local touch will take a look once.
Restaurants in Caguas and San Juan.

Visited November 2012
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Very friendly staff, very clean dining room with puertorrican jibaro life pictures and antique items on the walls. Fast service and a really great and flavorful plates. Y reccomend the Churrasco mofongo, it's awsome!!!!!

• Visited May 2012