“Best mountain hotel ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Starlight Chalet & Health Spa

Save Saved
You added Starlight Chalet & Health Spa to your Saves list
Starlight Chalet & Health Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Silver Hill Gap, Blue Mountains | (25 miles from Kingston), Blue Mountains National Park, Jamaica   |
holland
“Best mountain hotel ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

We stayed at the starlight chalet for two days, it was a little hard to find by car.Because I drove up myself. But it was word it . We found a very nice hotel with the most friendly staf and great food even my two daugters liked it. And I can tell you that is selden.We enjoyed the view and the quitness. At the section we found a coffee plantage tour done by lokal people and drank the best coffee from a wood fire. I wood recommend everybody to go for the quitte and peace and treat yourself a few days.Henk Biemans and family fom Holland

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
St Maarten-St Martin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

We just returned from2 days at Starlight Chalet, a little piece of heaven on earth.
Can you say location,location,location?
This charming place is located 5000 feet up in the Blue Mountains.
Getting there is no easy feat. The road going up the mountain is not for the faint of heart, but once you reach there, the WOW factor is in operation.
The chalet itself is clean and comfortable. It could use some updating and some re decoration, but when the clouds lift and you see the mountains that are surrounding you and the lovely garden, you forget about everything..
The peace and tranquility cannot be explained. You must experience it.
The staff , especially Miss Icodel, are warm and friendly and make you feel right at home.
We loved our 2 days there and hope some day we can go back.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — getting there
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2008

I found this property online and called and made reservations for 4/26/08. It was a surprise for my fiance's birthday. In the Blue Mountains, it was breathtaking, peaceful and off the beaten path. The Lily Suite was great and had a private balcony. Ms. Icodell was charming and accomodated our requests. The food was off the chain ( we had traditional jamaican cuisine ). Toured the grounds and just took in the breathtaking cloud covered mountainside and gardens. It gets cool at night and first thing in the morning...but I was prepared. Recommend Starlight Chalet for couples who just want to get away for a weekend in a secluded hideaway tucked far up in the Blue Mountains.

• Liked — The mountain location of the property
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Crawfordville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2007

First of all, it is a scary ride to reach 5000 feet above sea level on Jamaica's roads. It is a long and nervous ride but ithe beauty of the scenery is worth it. I was so glad I made it. The landscape around the inn is the handiwork of God. It is a beautiful place. I will admit that the actual buildings need some care. A good cleaning for starters, touch ups on the worn areas of the building, some fresh paint, shampooing the carpets, etc. would make it a lot nicer. Nice linens on the beds, refrigerators in the rooms with water and juice, and a library to pick a good read would be an added benefit to the guests. It is the place to be for rest and relaxation. It is the place to be to be surrounded by nature birds, butterflies, fruit trees, coffee plants and good jamaican hospitality. Serenity and Peace is found here at Starlight Chalet. The one thing I really disliked about my stay however is that food pricing was not displayed or revealed. And at the end they laid a whopping bill on me. This is a tactic that sets you up to be ripped off royally. Forget about other options, there aren't any. I asked before hand should I bring food and was told not to they had a restaurant. The food is ridiculously expensive. For example, my husband and I had 2 small pieces of fried chicken each, cabbage/carrots steamed and rice it was $10. The next night, A Small fried snapper and leftover cabbage/carrots and rice was $18 per plate. I was furious. Even at breakfast they charged if my husband drank more that one cup of coffee and I didn't drink one cup while I was there. I thought that would have been taken into consideration but it wasn't. Milk the Cow, Milk the Cow, Milk the Cow! The juices however are freshly made which I thoroughly enjoyed at $3 a glass. But after awhile I noticed they became more and more watery. Milk the Cow , Milk the Cow, Milk the Cow! There is supposed to be a breakfast included but the gimmick is...it is a slice of toast , juice and a one cup of coffee. I felt that we became an automatic cash machine which made me angry. I love this place but as stated there is room for improvement starting with FAIR prices for meals and letting the guest know what is charged for meals. I guess it bothered me so much because I have been to Jamaica several times and I know that food is not expensive. For $20 they could have purchased all the food needed to serve us for the 2 days we were there. We came out of there with an $80+ bill for a couple of basic, small meals. That being said visit the Starlight Chalet but remember to ask about food pricing. It would be a great idea to bring your own fruit, snacks and drinks. You will save a lot of money and you will have a great vacation.

Stayed January 2007
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2006

We just returned from our second visit to Starlight Chalet this year, and again, had a wonderful time. This time, we stayed for four nights.

This hotel offers a true Jamaican country experience. It is kind of like "over the river and through the woods, to grandmother's house", if your grandma was a Jamaican lady. They have about a dozen rooms, on the small side, very clean, with chintz bedspreads and 4 poster beds, and private baths. This time, we picked room 6, which had a private balcony looking over a deep valley, and a small refrigerator. Since we had stopped at a grocery store on the way up for rum, juice and Red Stripes, the fridge came in handy.

As on our last visit, we were the only guests, so it felt very much
like our own place, with a staff of three to take very good care of
us.

The off site owners are very accommodating. They even supplied a turkey for us for our Thanksgiving dinner, although turkey is not a typical Jamaican menu item. For our 4 dinners, we had 1-escovich snapper, 2-brown stew chicken, 3-lobster curry, 4-turkey. All were delicious, served with fresh vegetables, many of which were grown on site. For breakfast, 3 of the 4 mornings, we had salt fish and ackees, by special request, since we can't get that at home. The other breakfast we asked for eggs and pancakes, which were great, but now I wish I'd had one more meal of ackees!

Once again, the weather did not cooperate. It was rainy, windy, and chilly the whole time we were there, which discouraged any hiking around the mountains. We did have a late afternoon that cleared a bit, so we were able to walk one of the roads for about a mile, enjoying beautiful views of the mountains wreathed in clouds. It would be a pleasant walk (about 2 miles each way, fairly flat ground) to Section in nicer weather. I really wanted to do this, because the wild flowers along the road were spectacular; little impatiens in various colors, wild orchids and bromeliads, and other green, green tropical plants which I would have liked to have examined more closely. The air is wonderfully scented with growing things, it just smells so fresh and clean up there! Below the yard and garden, there is a path (which I did not take, it being slippery) down to the Yallahs River, where I understand is a pool deep enough for soaking.

There is a different atmosphere at this place. It does not operate
much like a hotel, it really is more like a remote lodge. Housekeeping was good; all of our bed linens and towels were fresh and clean, and changed daily. And I thought all the food was great, but it is a little unusual to order food without looking at a menu, which is non-existent here.

Some day, I will be back again. I hope the place stays as charming as it is today.

• Liked — The location and the views
  • Disliked — The rain. There was just too much of it.
  • Tips/Secrets — Take a sweat shirt and pants. It gets cold up there.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
TheHague
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2006

The hotel is a bit run-down, the rooms are basic to say the least. Breakfast and dinner are also not going to be the highlight of the trip. The cook offers chicken or fish (with lots of bones) or nothing for evening meal. You don't fancy that? Tough, there isn't anything else for miles. Luckily I dared to ask for a vegetarian option and got a much better deal than the other guests. And why oh why don't they buy a refrigerator, its a great place to enjoy a beer, but the only beers on sale were hot ones. Yuk ! Service could be better, I paid for clothes to be washed and they came back looking like they hadn't been near water, never mind soap.

On the plus side the setting is fabulous, on the top of a mountain pass surrounded by rainforest and mountains. At night the noise of the frogs and insects is otherworldly, then in the morning there's the amazing rainforest bird chorus. The cloud, when it finally lifted, was mystical. And the highlight were the many hummingbirds encouraged to feed in the gardens, the only place in Jamaica I saw the famous doctor bird, as featured on the local banknotes. The many fireflies at night were also a delight. The owner has wildlife books available and the verandah is a great place to sit and unwind with a (hot) beer while watching the rainforest fly by.

The drive up is a drag too, slow progress on slow roads.

The place just needs a little extra effort (food, cold beers) to be a delightful hotel.

• Liked — Hummingbirds
  • Disliked — Hot beer
  • Stayed October 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2006

Leads to a little bit of heaven!!! And lest you ever doubted it, God is a woman and her name is Miss Amy. Starlight Chalet is Amy's domain and she is determined you will have every need catered for. Now you should believe all the other reviews about the road..and then some. Jamaican road crews (three men, two shovels and a wheelbarrow) are still rebuilding major slippages and only hardy drivers should attempt the climb. Press on, it will be worth it. Lunch at the Gap Cafe is a must. The worst is behind you. And then there is Amy...you want food?? When?? What you want? Chicken, beef, pork, fish...how do you want it cooked? Are you kidding?? This woman offers totally personal service like no luxury hotel in the world does. And it's cheap, cool and sssooooooooooooo restful up here when the clouds come down and shut the place in from the rest of the world. Now there was no hot water for a while and the rooms are at best functional. There's no entertainment and two nights kind of maxes you out. Only the young and fit can sightsee from here and the road back down haunts you. But for a truly unique experience you can't beat this place. Tell Amy we said "hi". It was wonderful up there amongst the world famous coffee plants. If you are driving...pick up a local hitchiker and the road won't seem so bad, mon.

• Stayed May 2006

Been to Starlight Chalet & Health Spa? Share your experiences!