I stayed at Starlight as part of a much longer trip to Jamaica. I was living in Kingston and wanted a one-night get-away at the weekend. Starlight was perfect. It was quite a drive, and the road up there is very twisty and not in good shape (call ahead for the best advice on exactly which road to take). Getting there from New Kingston took a bit over an hour, but it was certainly worthwhile.
Starlight is high in the mountains. The air up here is cooler than down in the city or on the coast, and there are fewer mosquitoes. It is also blissfully quiet and very beautiful. The room that I had had an extremely comfortable four-poster bed. It was quite small, but absolutely fine for me...and the large size of the bathroom more than made up for this. There was also an adjoining lounge with TV and a balcony with spectacular views out onto the mountains.
The service here was very personal and friendly. The staff will cook whatever you like at the time you need it, and the price of the food is extremely reasonable. (I cannot understand some of the comments on this site taking issue with the cost of the food). I got good home-cooked food for the sort of price that you can pay for a take-out in the UK! The staff also helped me to make the most of my time in the area, and I was able to look around a small coffee farm and to meet some of the locals, who were friendly...and there is a refreshing lack of hassle up here compared to down in Kingston or at the coastal resorts.
If you had longer up here, I would recommend a hike up Blue Mountain Peak or other less familiar routes around the mountains. Finding a guide ought not to be a problem. You should also try (and buy) some Blue Mountain coffee...and again, the folks at Starlight can help out with all of that. Chatting to people here, I discovered that there is a pool, a games room, and a separate self-catering chalet for families. I really want to return with my wife and son for a second trip.
Overall, I recommend this place wholeheartedly, whether it is for a quick escape from the heat and hustle of Kingston (as in my case), a romantic break, or a week-long family holiday. It is great value, serene and beautiful, friendly, and there is no shortage of things to explore and discover.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the lush bossom of the Blue Mountains, simple country elegance,and comfort is Starlight Chalet & health Spa. Spacious, warm and cozy suites, snug apartments on a backdrop of beautiful gardens, cool mountain breeze and surrounded by seemingly endless mountain ranges. Starlight Chalet & Health Spa is famous for its endemic birds, mountains, gardens and for absolute relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Starlight Chalet & Health Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Starlight Chalet And Health Spa
- Starlight Chalet & Health Hotel Blue Mountains National Park
- Starlight Chalet & Health Spa Jamaica/Blue Mountains National Park