“Incredible mountain location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Starlight Chalet & Health Spa

Save Saved
You added Starlight Chalet & Health Spa to your Saves list
Starlight Chalet & Health Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Silver Hill Gap, Blue Mountains | (25 miles from Kingston), Blue Mountains National Park, Jamaica   |
Bradford, England, United Kingdom
“Incredible mountain location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I have stayed at Starlight Chalet on three occasions and will definitely return again. But first lets be honest: the hotel does have shortcomings and these are mentioned in other reviews. The arrangements for meals first. You have little choice (and I have certainly never been offered a menu to select from): the cook/receptionist asks you if you would like chicken and I always do, so not a problem for me! You let her know in advance and its ready for the time of your choice. Not big portions but tasty enough and its basic, typical Jamaican home style preparation. And yes, it may be a little overpriced. It could all be much better but I take into account that this hotel really is miles from anywhere and compared to the next nearest Blue Mountain hotels its room rates are very reasonable. Its not a busy hotel and on two of the occasions I have been there I have been the sole resident (low season) so I can understand the limited catering options... although a menu, if only half a dozen options, would be a real improvement.
As for the staff: I think I have only met the cook/receptionist, cleaning person and gardener. All have been perfectly polite and friendly with me. I often find Jamaicans tend to be overly formal in dealing with customers and this can sometimes seem like surliness... but offer a smile and you invariably get a bigger one back.
Rooms. Mine have always been a bit fusty but, hey, you are up in the mist swept slopes of high tropical forest here. I take the basic rooms and they are a bit dark and could do with a bit of love and care. But I've always found them to be clean and the beds comfortable.
So why will I return to Starlight. Simple. I like it. Its a mountain retreat that you will find difficult to beat in terms of location without paying twice or three times as much. High forest and coffee clothed ridges, swirling mists, wide skies, solitude and peace. Its like the road to Starlight from Kingston via Newcastle. Its a bit rough on the edges but the vistas are breathtaking (NB the mile or so of 'road' from the Section junction is VERY rough).
Local activities: You can hire a local guide to take you along high paths to the mystical Cinchona Gardens where few, except occasional local farmers, tread. Expect this to be an eye-opening learning experience and not a Health and Safety seminar and you will have wonderful memories to take home with you (you may pass through cloud that will be damp so take a waterproof if the slopes look misty).
A final note: On the way up to Starlight you might be flagged down at Section village by a person selling coffee .... haggle a little then buy some. Best price you will get for Blue Mountain coffee.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Such a shame. We had a group of 7 friends who were in Jamaica to celebrate my husband's birthday. wanted to go to a place that was in the mountains and that not many tourists reached. after almost 7 hours to go to starlight chalet from Pt Antonio, it was only suppose to take 2.5 hours but the road was not opened for several years we arrived to an empty cold feeling unwelcome. We could not even find the reception when we pulled up. Before even being welcomed we were hagled by staff who looked quite confused we were arriving. they were focused on payment issues when all we did was want to be checked in. when shown the room there was mold and the rooms smelled. Asked about if there were any food or spa services just to be yelled at by the manager or owner, Rachael. called me Evil when all I was trying to do was find a way to make the situation workable for my friends and my husband. The person checking us in said she had been making chicken curry but there appeared to have no choices, even though a menu was emailed to me in correspondence. there was never any mention we had to order in advance.

The potential for this place is great but I would never recommend it nor even make the journey back for the treatment guests receive. No one deserves the poor treatment of those who want a vacation to get away from it.

Room Tip: choose another hotel !
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Rachel N, General Manager at Starlight Chalet & Health Spa, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
A history of discontentment started with an email on the March 2, 2011 requesting reservation for 2 nights August 26-28 2011 from a group of 7 persons. The team leader organizer expressed in details the following: the rates; number of rooms; cancellation policy; menu and at departure a dinner to be arranged by the Chalet for one of their friends. During our numerous emails and discussions nothing was ever mentioned of the use of Spa Facilities. The team leader agreed to all of the above by email. Payment was made by each member of the group and all arrangements were made for their arrival. Canceling all other bookings we had for that period, a day before the arrival the group leader called the manager requesting cancellation and what percentage would she be entitled to. The manager told her, that she would not be refunded because she did not meet the requirements of our cancellation policy, but was willing to accommodate them at a future date. To our surprise, they came to the hotel spoke to our staff for 15 minutes demanding a refund for them to leave or they would pass negative comments to the various media such as trip advisor and the tourist Board. We now see that they make well of their threat. This group consisted of seven members, two have already written to trip advisor so we are expecting more. Starlight Chalet takes pride in having a well run organization and many of our guests will have testified. Thanks to our many guest who know starlight and send their sympathies to this unfortunate matter.

Travelers are raving about these Blue Mountains National Park hotels

Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Let me start off by saying that this hotel is in the most beautiful location, high up in the Blue Mountains with views to die for! The hotel itself and the rooms are nice, we even had a room with a balcony (it was called a suite and also had a little fridge in it). The management/staff however, is a disgrace! We have stayed here twice, the first time in 2009 and the second time in 2010 and both times we were disappointed, not by the establishment itself, but by how it is run. Upon arrival of our first visit, we were told that meal prices are very cheap by of the ladies that work there, only to find out at check-out that we had been charged hefty amounts for the meals. We weren't happy and did mention our disapproval, but paid it and left...we didn't want this to put a damper on our stay there. Then, the following year, we decided to stay there again for a few nights. I was assured by management that there was now a printed menu with prices for all meals (in JA$$ and also in US$$), so we felt encouraged to go there again. Upon arrival of this second visit, there was NO MENU anywhere...the ladies didn't know even what we were talking about when we asked for a menu. Determined not to make the same mistake, we asked and were quoted a price for breakfast and dinner. When it was time to check-out, the prices that were on the bill were double of what we had been quoted! This time I spoke up and complained and asked them to call management, which they did, but management didn't want to speak to us and just told the lady (who was also the cook) to tell us that those are the correct prices and that's what we needed to pay. Needless to say, we were very upset! We did pay but vowed not to come back here again, because noone wants to get lied to and ripped off. Another thing we found to be very odd, is the fact that the owners of the hotel (they apparently live in England), arrived and sat on the very same verandah as we did, and not once did they acknowledge us or say "hello".....and we were the only guests that were there at the time. Not that we wanted some big ado or anything, but it would've been nice of them to greet us. After returning home from our trip, I emailed management and complained about the "food situation" and though they did respond, all they said was "we're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us". That was it. I hate to leave a bad review and I hate to have to say that I would not go there again...but it's the truth. The only other option would be to stay without purchasing any meals, but that's pretty much impossible because there no stores or anything anywhere near-by...and we didn't have a microwave or stove anyway, so that didn't really matter. This property is in such a lovely location, too bad it is so mis-managed.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Oakland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Sadly we had to decline to stay at Starlight Chalet and Health Spa August 26-27, 2011. We called the manager the day before arriving and she failed to warn us that the road up from Buff Bay is closed and has been so for several years necessitating a 5 hour journey back to Kingston and up. We arrived to an very unfriendly welcome. We then learned that we had to communicate our meal choices and spa service preferences prior to arrival or no such services would be available. There is no information on the website nor in our telephone and written communications to that effect. A reasonable reading of their website and from standard spa practices elsewhere would suggest that one would arrive, reserve a service at a particular time and receive the service. This is especially so since there is a website reference to coming down in the morning to read the list of activities and join the activities. While that phrasing is in reference to an Ocho Rios location the implication is clear that it must apply to both locations. They never sent us a menu until we requested one which made no mention of needing to order meals in advance. They sent us their menu which implies that they serve the items on that menu.

The room we examined was not satisfactory. It had mold on the pillow and stains on the pillowcase.

The staff was rude and unhelpful. More surprising the manager was not there to greet us but left a confused and surly cook to demand further payments. When we phoned the manager for help she, too, was rude and unhelpful over the phone. When we called to try to rectify these and other inadequacies she not only failed to observe the most basic courtesies but harangued and called the member of the group who called her, “evil.” Since her diatribe was so incessant our friend was holding the phone away from her ear for all to hear.

The location is beautiful and cool up in the Blue Mountains. If you can find a clean room and reserve your specific meals and activities in advance this might be a place worth considering.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Rachel N, General Manager at Starlight Chalet & Health Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
We believe, as you do that customer satisfaction is paramount and that’s why we pride ourselves in meeting all our guest needs and expectations for the past 10 years. As a result, your false accusations and negative publicity are without merit.

There are many different routes leading to our resort and unfortunately you encountered road improvement which is being conducted throughout the Island.

Our resort boasts a fine dining restaurant where meals are prepared from our menu list of selections, catering to our guests’ palate. In addition, our chefs are highly certified and competent enough to prepare any meals of your choice which was clearly stated to you prior to your reservation confirmation by the provision of menus twice.

Like any other reputable vacation resorts, our Spa reservation policy has always been, “spa services are done on an appointment only basis.” Our website explicitly states this and may have been an oversight on your part.

We pride ourselves in maintaining an immaculately kept resort; therefore, the false allegation pertaining to the room will not be taken lightly and will result in severe legal actions especially since you voluntarily withdrew your reservation upon checking in. Hence, you did not visibly see any of our rooms.

Our staffs and management are fully trained professionals in their respective rights. They are very accommodating, gracious, attentive, kind, sociable and well mannered. They thrive to go above and beyond the guest expectations at all times. Even with your wrongful accusations, Starlight Chalet gave you the option to re-book at a later date at no additional cost.

In retaliation of our explicit cancellation policy, you made good on your threat to publicize defamatory remarks. Let it be known that we will continue to make each and everyone of our guest experience a positive and memorable one.
Salvador
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

Hotel is in a very nice are in the Blue Mountains, not far from Holywell Park, but that is about all it has going for it. Room was clean and decent albeit small. Shower was a trickle with lukewarm water. We stayed in the Lily suite which is advertised as having satellite TV, but only one channel worked. Normally I don't care much about TV when I 'm on holiday, but the location is remote and there is nothing to do at night, so it would have been nice to have more than one working channel. I was also irritated that I was quoted $60 dollars for a transfer from the Kingston airport (I have the email to prove it!) and then charged $80! When I argued, I was told that it was $80 and that the $60 quoted in an email from the office staff was wrong. Very unprofessional.

Also, since there is nowhere close to eat without paying $20 for a ride, you are forced to eat at the hotel. The problem is they have no menu or prices and the prices are outrageous. Yes I know I should have asked for prices, but I never imagined that a scrambled egg, toast, OJ, a cup of coffee, and a small slice of ham would be US$12 per person. I mean c'mon...really? The location is beautiful, and the hotel is clean, I'll give it that. But I would not return here.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
holland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

We stayed at the starlight chalet for two days, it was a little hard to find by car.Because I drove up myself. But it was word it . We found a very nice hotel with the most friendly staf and great food even my two daugters liked it. And I can tell you that is selden.We enjoyed the view and the quitness. At the section we found a coffee plantage tour done by lokal people and drank the best coffee from a wood fire. I wood recommend everybody to go for the quitte and peace and treat yourself a few days.Henk Biemans and family fom Holland

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
St Maarten-St Martin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

We just returned from2 days at Starlight Chalet, a little piece of heaven on earth.
Can you say location,location,location?
This charming place is located 5000 feet up in the Blue Mountains.
Getting there is no easy feat. The road going up the mountain is not for the faint of heart, but once you reach there, the WOW factor is in operation.
The chalet itself is clean and comfortable. It could use some updating and some re decoration, but when the clouds lift and you see the mountains that are surrounding you and the lovely garden, you forget about everything..
The peace and tranquility cannot be explained. You must experience it.
The staff , especially Miss Icodel, are warm and friendly and make you feel right at home.
We loved our 2 days there and hope some day we can go back.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — getting there
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Starlight Chalet & Health Spa? Share your experiences!