“BEAUTIFUL LOCATION, BUT BEWARE!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Starlight Chalet & Health Spa

You added Starlight Chalet & Health Spa to your Saves list
Starlight Chalet & Health Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Silver Hill Gap, Blue Mountains | (25 miles from Kingston), Blue Mountains National Park, Jamaica   |
Special Price
50% off room rate
Los Angeles, CA
“BEAUTIFUL LOCATION, BUT BEWARE!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Let me start off by saying that this hotel is in the most beautiful location, high up in the Blue Mountains with views to die for! The hotel itself and the rooms are nice, we even had a room with a balcony (it was called a suite and also had a little fridge in it). The management/staff however, is a disgrace! We have stayed here twice, the first time in 2009 and the second time in 2010 and both times we were disappointed, not by the establishment itself, but by how it is run. Upon arrival of our first visit, we were told that meal prices are very cheap by of the ladies that work there, only to find out at check-out that we had been charged hefty amounts for the meals. We weren't happy and did mention our disapproval, but paid it and left...we didn't want this to put a damper on our stay there. Then, the following year, we decided to stay there again for a few nights. I was assured by management that there was now a printed menu with prices for all meals (in JA$$ and also in US$$), so we felt encouraged to go there again. Upon arrival of this second visit, there was NO MENU anywhere...the ladies didn't know even what we were talking about when we asked for a menu. Determined not to make the same mistake, we asked and were quoted a price for breakfast and dinner. When it was time to check-out, the prices that were on the bill were double of what we had been quoted! This time I spoke up and complained and asked them to call management, which they did, but management didn't want to speak to us and just told the lady (who was also the cook) to tell us that those are the correct prices and that's what we needed to pay. Needless to say, we were very upset! We did pay but vowed not to come back here again, because noone wants to get lied to and ripped off. Another thing we found to be very odd, is the fact that the owners of the hotel (they apparently live in England), arrived and sat on the very same verandah as we did, and not once did they acknowledge us or say "hello".....and we were the only guests that were there at the time. Not that we wanted some big ado or anything, but it would've been nice of them to greet us. After returning home from our trip, I emailed management and complained about the "food situation" and though they did respond, all they said was "we're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us". That was it. I hate to leave a bad review and I hate to have to say that I would not go there again...but it's the truth. The only other option would be to stay without purchasing any meals, but that's pretty much impossible because there no stores or anything anywhere near-by...and we didn't have a microwave or stove anyway, so that didn't really matter. This property is in such a lovely location, too bad it is so mis-managed.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Oakland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Sadly we had to decline to stay at Starlight Chalet and Health Spa August 26-27, 2011. We called the manager the day before arriving and she failed to warn us that the road up from Buff Bay is closed and has been so for several years necessitating a 5 hour journey back to Kingston and up. We arrived to an very unfriendly welcome. We then learned that we had to communicate our meal choices and spa service preferences prior to arrival or no such services would be available. There is no information on the website nor in our telephone and written communications to that effect. A reasonable reading of their website and from standard spa practices elsewhere would suggest that one would arrive, reserve a service at a particular time and receive the service. This is especially so since there is a website reference to coming down in the morning to read the list of activities and join the activities. While that phrasing is in reference to an Ocho Rios location the implication is clear that it must apply to both locations. They never sent us a menu until we requested one which made no mention of needing to order meals in advance. They sent us their menu which implies that they serve the items on that menu.

The room we examined was not satisfactory. It had mold on the pillow and stains on the pillowcase.

The staff was rude and unhelpful. More surprising the manager was not there to greet us but left a confused and surly cook to demand further payments. When we phoned the manager for help she, too, was rude and unhelpful over the phone. When we called to try to rectify these and other inadequacies she not only failed to observe the most basic courtesies but harangued and called the member of the group who called her, “evil.” Since her diatribe was so incessant our friend was holding the phone away from her ear for all to hear.

The location is beautiful and cool up in the Blue Mountains. If you can find a clean room and reserve your specific meals and activities in advance this might be a place worth considering.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Rachel N, General Manager at Starlight Chalet & Health Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
We believe, as you do that customer satisfaction is paramount and that’s why we pride ourselves in meeting all our guest needs and expectations for the past 10 years. As a result, your false accusations and negative publicity are without merit.

There are many different routes leading to our resort and unfortunately you encountered road improvement which is being conducted throughout the Island.

Our resort boasts a fine dining restaurant where meals are prepared from our menu list of selections, catering to our guests’ palate. In addition, our chefs are highly certified and competent enough to prepare any meals of your choice which was clearly stated to you prior to your reservation confirmation by the provision of menus twice.

Like any other reputable vacation resorts, our Spa reservation policy has always been, “spa services are done on an appointment only basis.” Our website explicitly states this and may have been an oversight on your part.

We pride ourselves in maintaining an immaculately kept resort; therefore, the false allegation pertaining to the room will not be taken lightly and will result in severe legal actions especially since you voluntarily withdrew your reservation upon checking in. Hence, you did not visibly see any of our rooms.

Our staffs and management are fully trained professionals in their respective rights. They are very accommodating, gracious, attentive, kind, sociable and well mannered. They thrive to go above and beyond the guest expectations at all times. Even with your wrongful accusations, Starlight Chalet gave you the option to re-book at a later date at no additional cost.

In retaliation of our explicit cancellation policy, you made good on your threat to publicize defamatory remarks. Let it be known that we will continue to make each and everyone of our guest experience a positive and memorable one.
Salvador
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

Hotel is in a very nice are in the Blue Mountains, not far from Holywell Park, but that is about all it has going for it. Room was clean and decent albeit small. Shower was a trickle with lukewarm water. We stayed in the Lily suite which is advertised as having satellite TV, but only one channel worked. Normally I don't care much about TV when I 'm on holiday, but the location is remote and there is nothing to do at night, so it would have been nice to have more than one working channel. I was also irritated that I was quoted $60 dollars for a transfer from the Kingston airport (I have the email to prove it!) and then charged $80! When I argued, I was told that it was $80 and that the $60 quoted in an email from the office staff was wrong. Very unprofessional.

Also, since there is nowhere close to eat without paying $20 for a ride, you are forced to eat at the hotel. The problem is they have no menu or prices and the prices are outrageous. Yes I know I should have asked for prices, but I never imagined that a scrambled egg, toast, OJ, a cup of coffee, and a small slice of ham would be US$12 per person. I mean c'mon...really? The location is beautiful, and the hotel is clean, I'll give it that. But I would not return here.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
holland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

We stayed at the starlight chalet for two days, it was a little hard to find by car.Because I drove up myself. But it was word it . We found a very nice hotel with the most friendly staf and great food even my two daugters liked it. And I can tell you that is selden.We enjoyed the view and the quitness. At the section we found a coffee plantage tour done by lokal people and drank the best coffee from a wood fire. I wood recommend everybody to go for the quitte and peace and treat yourself a few days.Henk Biemans and family fom Holland

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
St Maarten-St Martin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

We just returned from2 days at Starlight Chalet, a little piece of heaven on earth.
Can you say location,location,location?
This charming place is located 5000 feet up in the Blue Mountains.
Getting there is no easy feat. The road going up the mountain is not for the faint of heart, but once you reach there, the WOW factor is in operation.
The chalet itself is clean and comfortable. It could use some updating and some re decoration, but when the clouds lift and you see the mountains that are surrounding you and the lovely garden, you forget about everything..
The peace and tranquility cannot be explained. You must experience it.
The staff , especially Miss Icodel, are warm and friendly and make you feel right at home.
We loved our 2 days there and hope some day we can go back.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — getting there
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2008

I found this property online and called and made reservations for 4/26/08. It was a surprise for my fiance's birthday. In the Blue Mountains, it was breathtaking, peaceful and off the beaten path. The Lily Suite was great and had a private balcony. Ms. Icodell was charming and accomodated our requests. The food was off the chain ( we had traditional jamaican cuisine ). Toured the grounds and just took in the breathtaking cloud covered mountainside and gardens. It gets cool at night and first thing in the morning...but I was prepared. Recommend Starlight Chalet for couples who just want to get away for a weekend in a secluded hideaway tucked far up in the Blue Mountains.

• Liked — The mountain location of the property
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Crawfordville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2007

First of all, it is a scary ride to reach 5000 feet above sea level on Jamaica's roads. It is a long and nervous ride but ithe beauty of the scenery is worth it. I was so glad I made it. The landscape around the inn is the handiwork of God. It is a beautiful place. I will admit that the actual buildings need some care. A good cleaning for starters, touch ups on the worn areas of the building, some fresh paint, shampooing the carpets, etc. would make it a lot nicer. Nice linens on the beds, refrigerators in the rooms with water and juice, and a library to pick a good read would be an added benefit to the guests. It is the place to be for rest and relaxation. It is the place to be to be surrounded by nature birds, butterflies, fruit trees, coffee plants and good jamaican hospitality. Serenity and Peace is found here at Starlight Chalet. The one thing I really disliked about my stay however is that food pricing was not displayed or revealed. And at the end they laid a whopping bill on me. This is a tactic that sets you up to be ripped off royally. Forget about other options, there aren't any. I asked before hand should I bring food and was told not to they had a restaurant. The food is ridiculously expensive. For example, my husband and I had 2 small pieces of fried chicken each, cabbage/carrots steamed and rice it was $10. The next night, A Small fried snapper and leftover cabbage/carrots and rice was $18 per plate. I was furious. Even at breakfast they charged if my husband drank more that one cup of coffee and I didn't drink one cup while I was there. I thought that would have been taken into consideration but it wasn't. Milk the Cow, Milk the Cow, Milk the Cow! The juices however are freshly made which I thoroughly enjoyed at $3 a glass. But after awhile I noticed they became more and more watery. Milk the Cow , Milk the Cow, Milk the Cow! There is supposed to be a breakfast included but the gimmick is...it is a slice of toast , juice and a one cup of coffee. I felt that we became an automatic cash machine which made me angry. I love this place but as stated there is room for improvement starting with FAIR prices for meals and letting the guest know what is charged for meals. I guess it bothered me so much because I have been to Jamaica several times and I know that food is not expensive. For $20 they could have purchased all the food needed to serve us for the 2 days we were there. We came out of there with an $80+ bill for a couple of basic, small meals. That being said visit the Starlight Chalet but remember to ask about food pricing. It would be a great idea to bring your own fruit, snacks and drinks. You will save a lot of money and you will have a great vacation.

Stayed January 2007

Been to Starlight Chalet & Health Spa? Share your experiences!