“Ya Man!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Salt Coopers Villa, Runaway Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #5 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
NewBrunswick
“Ya Man!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

Overall good experience. No issues with food. Citrus fruits on buffet were great. Good overall selection at buffet. A la Cartes were very good. Service, aside from front desk, was very good. View from our gold level room was great and the room itself was very adequate. Pools were very good with lots of chairs in area of new construction. Grounds were beutiful. The grounds crew never stops!

They could use more working ice machines, Beaches were good. The beach that was a bit more pebbly was nice to have when the wind was blowing so we didnt get sandblasted. Sun was HOT HOT HOT. Snorkel excursion was fun but staff shouldnt be so aggressive when dropping hints about wanting to be tipped.

Slightly disappointed that the only beer on the all inclusive menu was red stripe draught. Also their mixed drinks ie. margaritas could use some work. We werent there to party so no biggie there.

Tour to Dunns river and ocho rios was very good but vendors in Ocho were very pushy. Out tourguide provided plenty of local history to keep things interesting.

Played a couple rounds of golf at the Breezes resort. They had a great promo on. The course was average. My playing caddy, John, was excellent.

6,023 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,557)
  • Polish first
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

We arrived home Tuesday after the most relaxing trip ever! Travelled with my husband and twin daughter to celebrate their 21st Birthday. The resort was amazing--room were in Block 18 overlooking the ocean--food was top notch and well as the service! We booked with Air Canada Vacations and from the private check-in with welcome drink, we were impressed! We enjoyed the pre-booked 4 a la ca-rte restaurants--the Japanese rest. was the best with Don Pablo a close 2nd. The Buffet was huge with many choices. The beach rest. was great with the Jerk chicken at lunch--be careful of the not sauce--my daughters burnt their lips cause it was so spicy! The beach to the left is lovely with tons of chairs. The beach to the right is great for snorkeling. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We met some great new friends to party with and sing in the karaoke bar--my daughters and husband kind of took over the bar and everyone had fun! The different night shows at the outside theatre were entertaining. We did the "Cool Running" Catamaran to Dunn's River Falls--worth the trip--only my daughter was a bit sea sick on the return. Any problems we occurred in our room was quickly fixed--Air conditioning broke one night but fixed promptly the next day. We locked many valuables in the room safe and had no problems. One of my daughters won a dance contest at resort and won a exclusion to Blue Mtn--my husband and she biked through the rain forest and had the best coffee ever--bought a lot home with us. Why people complain about this resort shocks me, and I am fussy and have travelled to other island--this was one of the best! Enjoy your holiday--relax you are in Jamaica Mon! Weather was hot and sunny--only rained as our flight left the island! Will return to this amazing island--loved the people and the culture. Was a great way to celebrate our daughters birthday as a family and have many new friend to keep in touch with!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

My husband and I just returned from our vacation at the Gran Bahia Principe in Jamaica on the 7th of May and must say we were pleased beyond expectation, after reading some of the reviews before choosing this hotel we were not sure of what to expect. Check-in was problem free, our room was lovely, food was great!! The hotel was just beautiful, you did have to go down to the pool early to get a good spot but we have found over the years you have to do that at all resorts. Be prepared to do alot of walking as the resort was huge, grounds were beautiful.The staff were curtious, the entertainment was the usual resort stuff but there were other options such as a huge piano bar off the lobby which was nice. If you want to eat at the a la carte restaurants you did have to book right away but there was always a good variety at the buffet, after returning from this wonderful vacation we realize you can't please all the people all the time and for those who had nothing good to say about this resort we figure these are people who because they spent money to travel there that they expect the staff to do everything but wipe their backsides, in order to get respect you must give it!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Ashley, Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

Liked this resort last year, loved it this year. This year, the Jamaican feel is back. Workers are happier & the service shows. Love the clean, beautiful rooms. Entertainment was excellent, bars fun. And yes, they still have to get the room keys fixed. Everyone had problems. Front desk was very helpful. The serviceman who came to fix the problem was so nice. And reservations for the restaurants were impossible, we gave up. If the deal is there next year, we will return.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

As with some other reviewers on this website I was a bit discouraged by some of the negative reviews I'd read on this resort prior to our departure. After having returned from a fabulous week I simply cannot understand what some people found to complain about.
We have visited the Gran Bahia Ambar in Punta Cana and thought we'd be hard pressed to exceed that trip but I must say that the Gran Bahia in Runaway Bay was even better!
The hotel itself is simply beautiful and the grounds are kept immaculate.
The staff were so friendly, everyone from maid service, check in staff, gardiners, restaurant staff, bartenders and pool staff. I don't think I passed by one person that didn't say hello. Everyone wanted to know if we'd been to Jamaica before, how we were enjoying our trip and if we'd come again!

We enjoyed the buffet everyday for breakfast and a few dinners. Loved The Grill restaurant, The Italian was nice and The Mikado was by far our favourite. Even the pickiest of eaters could find something to eat at any of these places. The cafe by the ocean had great food and the barbecue jerk chicken was fabulous.

The weather was amazing, not a drop of rain the entire time. If you got too warm you could simply retreat to your air conditioned room or to the buffet which was always nice and cool.

We upgraded to the Golden Club and are more than pleased we did. We had free access to the internet when we wanted and a beautiful ocean view room on the top floor.
As well we got a free bag and bottle of rum.

Would recommend the 'cool runnings' tour for adults. The snorkeling, the climbing of the Dunn's River Falls and the partying on the Catamaran was so much fun.

All in all a wonderful vacation and if given the opportunity I would definitely return to this resort.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
newport nh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

I have traveled many places, Cancun, Dominican, Costa Rica, Myan Riveria, FL and now Jamaica I read all the reviews and kicked my self for booking this trip... OMG this place is friggen awesome! Yes there are a few minor issues like only getting one wash cloth and the keys not working all the time but my god people your on vacation chill out. I brought 3 teenage boys and a 10 year old girl with me and they all had the time of there lives. Go kick back relax and enjoy dont sweat the small stuff. We will go back to this resort...

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

I also was a little bit worried about the reviews before we got there but as soon as we were settled I knew I would have a great time. The resort is big but if you are going to complain about walking a bit you should go to a different resort. It wasn't bad at all. We had a great time and wished we could stay a few more days; ten just wasn't enough. We went as a couple without knowing anyone else and met a lot of great people to share the experience with. The restaurants were awesome and the buffet was surprisingly good. The late night burger joint with Lloyd was great. Pools were a perfect temperature, the swim up bars were great and the beaches were very nice as well.

I don't understand how you can have a bad time here. You're in paradise. Have fun and enjoy it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!