“Fantastic holiday yeah mon!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Salt Coopers Villa, Runaway Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #5 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
Liverpool
“Fantastic holiday yeah mon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

I have been quite surprised at some of the recent reviews - did they stay at the same hotel?
I particularly liked Sunbabe from Prestons comments - much more nearer to what I would say!
We have just come back from a really fantastic holiday - our first holiday in Jamaica and it won't be our last. I would go back to GPB like a shot. Yes there are some building works going on but they are at the far end of what is a huge hotel - we barely knew they were there.

I'll start from the beginning - getting through the airport was fine and onto the coach - no problem as they say! Just be prepared to wait a bit getting through the customs bit and keep a bottle of water handy - get one off the plane to keep with you.

The hotel is quite stunning I thought, it looks pretty and the staff are wonderful. We had a welcome cocktail while we checked in and were then shown to our room which was lovely. There were 3 of us travelling - us 2 parents and a teen. We had 2 4 poster beds and the room was spacious on the top floor, with a wonderful view of the ocean, the pools and the lovely terrace below.

We couldnt fault the staff or the service, any minor problems (and I mean minor - were seen to immediately) and all service was friendly and with a smile. The jamaicans were fun, laid back, and friendly. The rooms were cleaned perfectly every day and unlike some, I didnt miss any towel art thanks!

We managed to book The Garden Grill, The Mikado and the Dolce Vita restaurants. Don Pablo is extremely popular so we missed out. Book by using the computer at the reservation area in reception, much easier. Go to reception first and get a code which you then enter and its very easy to follow. All of the restaurants we tried were great. The Garden Grill was good, had huge steaks perfectly cooked, great friendly service. The Mikado is my favourite, good food cooked Teppanyaki style and our chef looked like Will Smith and was very entertaining! The Dolce Vita was also good, very cool, and the veal was lovely.
All worth trying, but the Orchid buffet is great - they really make an effort and the food is varied. I promised myself I wouldnt eat bacon and egg every day but I did (typical english! durr! :-) The bacon was crispy and the poached eggs were soft. Great choices though if you aint fussy on bacon and egg.

The beach restaurant is fantastic for lunch. Get over there just after 1 o clock, grab a plate and go to the little jerk centre for amazing jerk chicken, jerk pork, soft juicy sweetcorn and a bit of hellfire sauce or jerk sauce if you dare (its hot!!). Good service there the staff are very attentive and the place is kept very clean. Hi to Carmen and Martino who worked hard there!

The beach is lovely, the ocean is beautiful. All carefully attended to and lifeguards in place. Staff very friendly and often singing a lot to themselves as they walk around. No problem getting a bed around here, there are lots. We were treated on on our last day to a rather spectacular storm at the beach - well it is that season there! But everyone was in good spirits and we had chips and rum so who cares about a bit of rain.

Entertainment is good - pool games going on during the day and you dont feel pressurised to join in. Lots of good reggae music. Night shows were excellent, join in on the beach party and pool party, great dancers and good music. Go up to the Shopping Centre for the night shows. Have a bop in the Ska Disco, we walked in and out the first time then decided to join in and had a good laugh.

Trips wise we only did the Reggae and Culture Tour but, it was such a good experience. The tour guide Michael was informative and funny, a great trip. When you get to Nine Mile, the birth place and resting place of Bob Marley, you have a rasta tour guide and they are so chilled, yeah mon. You get lots of information and songs too. Then you see the final resting place of Bob Marley, and also his mother. A good experience. All irie! After that its on to a church and then Scotchies for some jerk chicken. Great day. Some stunning views of the jamaican mountains on the way back.

A fairly longish review but I didnt want to miss anything out, happy to answer any other questions via e mail. I would recommend this hotel anytime, seemed to be a good mix of families and couples.

Met some lovely people, hi our Canadian friends Pierre and also John and Judy, great to meet you.

5,958 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,531)
  • Polish first
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

This was my third and last trip to Bahia and what a joke it has tured out to be! I was there 2x when it opened in 2007and my, has it changed! The place is absolutely beautiful and resembles a five star hotel but the service just doesn't match and falls more in line with a two star. Apparently much of the staff from 2007 is gone and not much training has been provided to the newcomers who seem lacking in customer service. There were too many issues to name them all, however here are a few. Upon arrival my nieces room was below standard. There was hair in the bathroom, the air conditioner and some of the' lighting didn't work, and later on we found the patio door didn't lock and this was a grand floor. We got the room changed but the problems didn't stop there. On another occasion, after coming from the beach I realized I was out of bath towels etc and the iron was broken. After calling Express Services I waited 2 hours, made 5 phone calls (one to the front desk manager) to have towels and iron delivered to the room. As bad as the issues were it was the responses to these issues that was the tipping point. Everyone had an excuse and no one took responsibility for the problems. For example, after waiting 20 minutes to be seated in the virtually empty Garden Grill for dinner the maître d informed us it was because we booked our reservation for 6 separately; that is why it took so long to accommodate us and by the way he hurt his leg earlier in the day. Yes, that was his excuse. The ladies in hospitality had to be the worst. They are so poorly trained and gives the party line, robotic brush off or excuse when you complain. I am still waiting for an appointment with the GM, but again at Bahaha that's a joke. Ironically, I stayed at the 3 star FDR Pebbles in Trelawny the week before and Bahia has a lot to learn from this quaint little resort when it comes to customer relations.

the outside

South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

This was our second trip to The Gran Bahia and I would return tomorrow!! The staff is great, the view is breath taking, the grounds are immaculate. The hotel is sooo beautiful The transportation to and from the airport, and for tours has improved greatly! We only ate at the Orchid, all buffet, restaurant, which is so enjoyable. Being a true Southerner, I wasn't crazy about a lot of the food, but I always found something I enjoyed. The maitre' d is a pleasure and gentleman. The open air cafe on the beach was so enjoyable. The fact that there was unlimited daiquiri's made everything seem very peaceful! There is not a LOT of entertainment or shopping on site, but some. But take a short tour bus ride and you can find anything you want.

I would recommend The Gran Bahia to ANYONE and would return as often as I possibly could! We love it!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Newfoundland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

We just got back from our best vacation so far, we stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe in Jamaica from August 1st until August 15th, we had a wonderful and relaxing vacation. The food was excellent and very plentiful, the a la carte resturants were fantastic. our room was beautiful and kept clean at all times, we had turn down service every night which was nice. The staff were all wonderful, very polite and friendly, the beach was fantastic, the pool was great, no flies or any bugs which was great, we were club golden and we were treated like royalty. Free internet every day, we did the shopping tour which was really nice and I won a bottle of rum which was nice, good rum. Our check out was a breeze and we were already checked into our rooms as soon as we got on the bus at the airport because we were club golden members, we heard a lot of bad reviews before we went but we can honestly say that this hotel should be rated higher than a 5 star in our opinion. We had stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe in DR which was no where close to this BP in Jamaica, we have been to Cuba twice which I loved but I have to say Jamaica was way better, the Jamaica people are just so down to earth and very friendly, we were not bothered by anyone like we had heard you would be.
It was so relaxing we didn't want to leave. We will be going back again for sure. If I could rate this resort I would give it a 10. Everything about this vacation was wonderful and worry free. What more could you ask for lots of great food, lots of great drinks, friendly people and the beautiful beach and sun. There were alot of people there but it always seemed like there was only the two of us, because the resort was so big and beautiful. Can't wait for next year to go again !!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Labrador City, NL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

I recently traveled to the Gran Bahia Principe resort in Runaway Bay Jamaica with my boyfriend this past April. It was our first time out of the country and what a time we had! Im glad our first trip like this turned out as well as it did! The resort is fairly big, very clean and well kept. The staff was so friendly and made you feel welcome as soon as you arrived. Our room was at the top floor, it was very spacious with a lovley balcony. The bathroom was very nice, it had a separate stand up shower and jacuzzi. We also had an amazing view from our room, it overlooked the pool and beyond that was the beach and ocean.. simply breath taking. Our maid did a great job of keeping it clean for us, but only got one towel art when others got them every day, a little dissapointing. But the mini bar was stocked daily with water, beer, soft drinks and chips. The room had a radio and t.v with satelite so we got to watch some t.v shows we would at home!
The pool is where we spent most of our time.. it is HUGE, very clean and has two swim up bars. There are a lot of chairs all around the pool with a restroom building at the end, which was very convenient if you were having a few drinks! There are three bridges that cross the pool to the other side as well, so its not as long of a walk to get around. There were water aerobics going on at one end of the pool with some tunes playing in the back ground. And at each of side of the pool there are kiddy pools attached for the little ones to enjoy their time as well. They have a pretty good range of drinks they can mix up for you, but was'nt impressed with the service from the bartenders, they could have been friendlier.
The best food we thought was from the main restaurant in the hotel, they had a buffet every morning and every afternoon. They have such a wide variety of food, it is impossible not to find anything you like.. for breakfast they had everything from breads to cereals to fruits and veggies to eggs and bacon and so on. Then for lunch there were lots of pastas, stir fry's, meats and veggies etc... it was just delicious! We were'nt totally impressed with the a la cartes, so we skipped three of our reservations out of five. They were o.k. DO NOT eat at the snak bar near the beach.. the food is awful! We also has 24 hour room service if we got a little hungry in the night.
The beach has two parts, one is a man made beach which isnt the greatest.. a little rockey. But the other part is all white sand that just stretches on forever. There are a lot of chairs available and palm trees to block the sun when you've had too much haha. At the end of the beach was a fence, and beyond that fence was a nude beach... we did'nt venture that one haha. There is a gorgeous gazibo that has a walkway that lights up in the evening, perfect spot for a caribbean wedding! In fact there was one down there when we visited! There is a very cute shopping square in the middle of the hotel, perfect place to buy souvenirs. They also carry water shoes and waterproof cameras just in case you forget to bring them and want to do some water activities. At one side of the square there is a stage for the nightly entertainment. It was raining when we went to the cultural show so they had it in the disco bar instead, it was a little crouded but worth seeing! Amazing talent!!
The only excursion we went on was a catamaran ride to Dunn's River Falls!! By far the best day of our visit!! They take you on a slow ride out at first and after about a 20 minute ride you can stop and go snorkeling and swimming or you can stay on the boat and have a few drinks if you don't know how to swim like me haha. After that, we cruise to Dunn's River... it is a waterfall that is almost 1000 feet high! It sounds scary but it is well worth climbing, you are well looked after by your guides so no worries! They make it so fun by video taping you and singing songs. Once you have conquered the falls, you get back on the catamaran and they throw a big party. The boat is cruisin back at a great speed, while the girls serve drinks and dance, the DJ is singin and playin the latest club music. It was the best day by far!! You can also buy pictures off one of the girls that go around and take pictures of couples and families, and you can also buy the video of you climbing the falls for $40.00. Definitely worth it!
So I think that pretty much sums it up. I would definitely recommend GBP to anyone who is looking for a relaxing and fun vacation. Its a great place for couples, friends, and families. It was our first caribbean vacation and it definitely will not be our last! I hope this helped anyone who is in doubt and happy travels!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

We went on our vacation from August 8th to the 15th. Jamaica was great but the hotel has a lot to improve on. We had read some of the reviews on here and were not sure what to think. We thought that the people that were saying bad things about this place were probably people that are spoiled and difficult people. We are not spoiled or difficult people and i really hate to give bad reviews but there were too many things that went wrong for this supposed 5 star hotel. Looks great from the outside but not that great once you enter your room. When we first got there we got a room that the air conditioning was not working. We asked for 2 beds but received a King size bed and a cot for our 12 year old. First thing I did was kill a cock roach. Was not very impressed over this. A few minutes later I killed another one at the door. The next day we were moved to a room with 2 beds but the beds were both double beds. Not bad for our son but we are grown adults and a double bed just doesn't cut it. There is more than enough room to put 2 King Size beds. Then we told them that the fridge in our room was not working. It only took about 2 1/2 days to get this fixed. Then there were 2 occasions where our door locks wouldn't work. We were locked out of our own room for almost an hour. This is supposed to be a 5 star hotel and I paid for a 5 star hotel. This didn't feel like one.
Then our toilet and shower didn't work which we had to wait another 1hr each time before someone would come and look at the problem, then another 1hr or so for them to fix the problem.
In reality we had 2 new rooms with problems, they have a book at front desk with the room numbers with problems that they need to fix. They do fix them but something occurs not just with my family but with others to.
Although they do a great job keeping the hotel clean outside they should work just as hard inside the hotel. I understand this is a very warm country and bugs will be all over but I strongly recommend everyone bring some Raid with them. You will get ants crawling in from cracks and the balcony. You would lift your shoes up off the floor and there would be a swarm of ants underneath them. I don't have a clue where they came from but look close and there lots of ants.
Pool was great and very clean. The la carte restaurants were great. The buffet service was ok. I personally didn't like the breakfast buffet. Nothing special about the buffet!
If you plan on buying any duty free I suggest you buy it ahead of time because there sure wasn't much time to look at any duty free stores in the airport. By the time we were done clearing security we had a grand total of 35 minutes before our flight was to leave.
I would rate this hotel a 3 star for sure and we were a Golden Member which technically doesn't mean much. We got 1 free la carte restaurant more than the regular customers got and a small bottle of rum & a bag & free internet which you waited about 1/2hr to get on to check emails. Only 2 computers in the whole hotel for golden members.
We enjoyed the nice weather when the sun was out and the la carte restaurants and service you got at the la carte restaurants.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

We arrived in Montego Bay on Aug. 7th at Sangster Airport. we waited for 2 hours to clear through customs due to several plans arriving at once. It would be appreciated if airport staf f were friendlier as it was not the best first impresion of Jamaica. Air Canada rep was great and managed to get us to the bus for the resort in a timely manner. So now we're off to the resort but not before 1 passanger asks the driver to stop for a beer on the side of the road to which he agrees. Very strange considering there are approx. 20 individuals on the bus just wanting to get to the resort, where we can get beer for free!!!
We stayed at the GB Aug. 7 to 14th and have stayed in GB resort previously in Samana so knew a bit of what to expect from the resort. We were not disappointed as the resort is beautiful. We did on occasion find some staff to be slightly rude but overall were friendly enough. The beach is great if you have small children as the water is quite shallow. There are 2 beaches at this resort, although using the term 'beach' for the one located close to the wedding gazebo is a bit of a stretch as there's no sand just small stones. We never had any difficulty with finding a place to sit at either the beach or pool area as there were always sufficient chairs, however, this may be due in part to the time of year. We were amused on several occasions to hear other guests commenting on and being offended by the nude beach located at the far end of the resort. To find yourself on this beach you must enter through a gate behind a fence with a big sign clearly indicating this is a nude beach in more than one language. One would wonder what they thought they'd see on the other side of this fence.
We ate at the buffet and found it adequate. Breakfast is definitely their best meal of the day. We didn't book any al a carte restaurants as we liked to eat quite late in the evening.
The hotel rooms were very spacious and clean. Really nice terrace/balconies. Bugs were not really a problem.
Entertainment in the evening was fine - not a Las Vegas show if that's what you're looking for you'll be disappointed.
We did the Chukka White River tubing excursion which was great and lots of fun. The water on the river was cool and very clear. The guides were terrific and kept all in attendace entertained. Definitely would recommend this for anyone in any age group
Overall the vacation was great.
We got exactly what we wanted from it.....relaxation and some sun.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!