I recently traveled to the Gran Bahia Principe resort in Runaway Bay Jamaica with my boyfriend this past April. It was our first time out of the country and what a time we had! Im glad our first trip like this turned out as well as it did! The resort is fairly big, very clean and well kept. The staff was so friendly and made you feel welcome as soon as you arrived. Our room was at the top floor, it was very spacious with a lovley balcony. The bathroom was very nice, it had a separate stand up shower and jacuzzi. We also had an amazing view from our room, it overlooked the pool and beyond that was the beach and ocean.. simply breath taking. Our maid did a great job of keeping it clean for us, but only got one towel art when others got them every day, a little dissapointing. But the mini bar was stocked daily with water, beer, soft drinks and chips. The room had a radio and t.v with satelite so we got to watch some t.v shows we would at home!
The pool is where we spent most of our time.. it is HUGE, very clean and has two swim up bars. There are a lot of chairs all around the pool with a restroom building at the end, which was very convenient if you were having a few drinks! There are three bridges that cross the pool to the other side as well, so its not as long of a walk to get around. There were water aerobics going on at one end of the pool with some tunes playing in the back ground. And at each of side of the pool there are kiddy pools attached for the little ones to enjoy their time as well. They have a pretty good range of drinks they can mix up for you, but was'nt impressed with the service from the bartenders, they could have been friendlier.
The best food we thought was from the main restaurant in the hotel, they had a buffet every morning and every afternoon. They have such a wide variety of food, it is impossible not to find anything you like.. for breakfast they had everything from breads to cereals to fruits and veggies to eggs and bacon and so on. Then for lunch there were lots of pastas, stir fry's, meats and veggies etc... it was just delicious! We were'nt totally impressed with the a la cartes, so we skipped three of our reservations out of five. They were o.k. DO NOT eat at the snak bar near the beach.. the food is awful! We also has 24 hour room service if we got a little hungry in the night.
The beach has two parts, one is a man made beach which isnt the greatest.. a little rockey. But the other part is all white sand that just stretches on forever. There are a lot of chairs available and palm trees to block the sun when you've had too much haha. At the end of the beach was a fence, and beyond that fence was a nude beach... we did'nt venture that one haha. There is a gorgeous gazibo that has a walkway that lights up in the evening, perfect spot for a caribbean wedding! In fact there was one down there when we visited! There is a very cute shopping square in the middle of the hotel, perfect place to buy souvenirs. They also carry water shoes and waterproof cameras just in case you forget to bring them and want to do some water activities. At one side of the square there is a stage for the nightly entertainment. It was raining when we went to the cultural show so they had it in the disco bar instead, it was a little crouded but worth seeing! Amazing talent!!
The only excursion we went on was a catamaran ride to Dunn's River Falls!! By far the best day of our visit!! They take you on a slow ride out at first and after about a 20 minute ride you can stop and go snorkeling and swimming or you can stay on the boat and have a few drinks if you don't know how to swim like me haha. After that, we cruise to Dunn's River... it is a waterfall that is almost 1000 feet high! It sounds scary but it is well worth climbing, you are well looked after by your guides so no worries! They make it so fun by video taping you and singing songs. Once you have conquered the falls, you get back on the catamaran and they throw a big party. The boat is cruisin back at a great speed, while the girls serve drinks and dance, the DJ is singin and playin the latest club music. It was the best day by far!! You can also buy pictures off one of the girls that go around and take pictures of couples and families, and you can also buy the video of you climbing the falls for $40.00. Definitely worth it!
So I think that pretty much sums it up. I would definitely recommend GBP to anyone who is looking for a relaxing and fun vacation. Its a great place for couples, friends, and families. It was our first caribbean vacation and it definitely will not be our last! I hope this helped anyone who is in doubt and happy travels!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 lake-style connecting pools with 2 areas for children 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace with gardens, sun umbrellas and loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 2 tennis courts, volleyball court, football pitch Water activity centre Pool and beach towel service WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo 2 buffet-style main restaurants and 5 speciality restaurants 8 Bars Snack bar Entertainment amphitheatre Meeting and convention room The 18 hole Breezes Runaway golf course is just 5 minutes from the hotel. Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, sports bar and disco Rooms 850 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Sea View Junior Suite, Club Golden and Club Hacienda Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Pillowtop mattresses Fully-equipped bathroom with separate shower and hydromassage bath tub, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ventilador de techo Sitting area with sofa Balcony or terrace Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children (aged 4 to 12) will have the time of their lives with these facilities: Children's pool Special shows and activities Entertainment team Mini Club (4 - 12 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Nudist area on the beach Bahia 'au Naturel' (over 18s only) The hotel has a nudist bathing area apart from the other areas ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, Otel and Odigeo so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Hotel
- Grand Bahia Jamaica
- Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica Runaway Bay