“Good and Bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

You added Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Salt Coopers. Runaway Bay. Jamaica | Salt Coopers, Runaway Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Special January Sale!
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Toronto,Ontario
“Good and Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

Let me start by saying that we just returned from a wonderful week's vacation at the Gran Bahia Principe, Runaway Bay. We celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary while on vacation. As with any trip there are both good and bad comments but I hope that I am able to provide information that will be helpful to you. I will offer my negative experiences and comments first and then give you all the positives we found.

My first piece of advice is don't go expecting this to be a 5-star resort because it just isn't. I do feel it warrants a 4-star rating overall. Some things may be better than others, but go with the right attitude and you will enjoy the resort. The check in and check out procedures are some of the worst I have ever experienced and we have travelled extensively. We were not greeted upon arrival and were basically left to fend for ourselves with our luggage. At the front desk they did not notice we were Royal Gold Club guests so we ended up going through the entire check in process and then having to go and do it again at the Royal Gold Club. The front desk personnel are quite unaccommodating and do not go out of their way to be helpful in any way.

The buffet restaurant (The Orchid) is also incredibly unorganized and the service is very poor. This is not the fault of the Jamaican wait staff...they are truly trying hard but have not been given the proper training to be successful. The servers are trying to do five jobs all at one time so everything suffers, especially the attitude. The servers in general were not friendly and did not try to carry on a conversation with the guests. I found this to generally be the attitude of all hotel personnel. Attitudes like these radiate from the top management down. Jamaicans in general are friendly people but the staff at this hotel are unfriendly,

Everything was very much "No problem mon" but there were problems. I even found the tour company personnel unorganized and not motivated to provide service. We travelled with Sunquest Vacations and their representative was seldom at the hotel. The only tour company we observed with a rep that was attentive and helpful was Air Transat Holidays - Isabelle was truly great.

We did several tours while at the resort and again the hotel staff was not helpful in providing information or making sure you got connected to the correct tour at departure time...it was sit and wait and hope you got the correct tour. The problem is not a language barrier as most Jamaicans speak very good English. Departure from the hotel was also a disaster. The staff are uninterested in helping you with your luggage or making sure you understand the check out process. Everyone is crowded into the lobby at one time and you have no idea if you are getting on the right bus to go to the airport. In general it was haul your luggage down to the front desk, check out and then sit and wait and hope that they announced the bus you were to be on when it arrived to pick you up. Again, when the bus arrived you were responsible for loading all your luggage. A very poorly organized procedure that really makes you miserable at the end of your vacation.

The mosquitos are an issue on this coast of Jamaica so take bug repellent containing a high level of deet. The nightly entertainment is mediocre but don't miss the piano bar. The gentleman is truly talented and it is enjoyable easy entertainment. As I mentioned we paid for the upgraded Royal Gold Club. It was a complete waste of money. The room and the amenities provided are exactly the same as the regular room category. We received turn down service twice and only when we complained. You do receive one additional a la carte restaurant reservation...but it is not worth the additional $420.00 per week. My advice is not to bother with Royal Gold Club.

As far as tours go, save your money and frustration and avoid the shopping tour to Ocho RIos and don't go to Kingston, it really isn't safe. We climbed Dunns River Falls and did Chukka Tours Canopy tour. Both were incredible and worth every penny. I would do them again in a minute. We met a young Jamaican on the beach near the wedding gazebo named Bruce...Bruce sells shells and does tours. Taking a tour with Bruce is much better than doing the tour company and I would highly recommend Bruce. Some of the pool boys will offer tour services but I would not trust them.

The bars serve drinks but don't offer much in service or conversation, but the main bar off the lobby is the best with the best bartenders. If you are expecting the servers to come and take your drink order you may wait a long time so go to the bar yourself and you will get your drink much faster. The patio bar is sadly understaffed so you may not get served at all. At the swim up bars, sometimes they will come and wait on you but more times than not you will have to get out of the pool and go around to the front of the bar to get served.

All that said, the Gran Bahia Principe is a truly beautiful resort. The lobby is stunning and the pool is very unique. If you want to be by the active part of the pool you need to get down at 6:00 a.m. to reserve your lounge chairs. The quieter end of the pool worked best for us and we were able to swim without bumping into other guests.

We gave the maid a $5.00 per day tip and it was well worth the money. Our room was clean and we did not have any issues getting enough towels as I have seen indicated by other reviewers. The maids work hard and are given a limited amount of supplies on their cart daily, so don't expect extras. We did not have an issue with what we received in our room and it was room with a great view of the ocean! The only room issue we had was our alarm clock did not keep time. We had to call the front desk and Gold Club 5 times before they finally replaced the clock.

We enjoyed 2 of the a la carte restaurants, the Mikado and Dolce Vita...I would not bother going to The Grill or Don Pablo. In fact we left part way through the meal at The Grill and went and ate at the buffet restaurant says it all and I heard other people indicate they did the same thing.

For our anniversary we booked the romantic dinner for two. It was wonderful. They set up a private dining experience on the ocean patio outside of Dolce Vita. We had our own dedicated waiter and it was a wonderful meal. Couldn't ask for a more romantic location. We enjoyed it a great deal and felt it was well worth $100.00.

Overall I felt the food was very good and there were a lot of choices in the Orchid. Something that would appeal to everyone. I also thought the food at the Snack Bar was good and it is in a very relaxing and enjoyable location on the ocean. It isn't like going to Sandals but it was good, only the service is lacking so don't go expecting American service standards.

We read some of the complaints regarding the beach. The beach at the front of the hotel is definitely man made and not the best but it is well maintained. If you go behind the Pueblo section there is another beach that is great for walking and has a lot of lounge chairs and there will definitely be a spot for you to curl up and enjoy the sun and surf. It also is very well maintained. The Negril side of the island definitely has better beaches but this beach is pretty and enjoyable.

One additional warning I would make, is the way the resort is set up you need to be prepared to do some walking. It is not really set-up for anyone with a physical challenge. There are some elevators if you are not able to walk the stairs but there are not many.

I think I am sad that for a resort with many positives it is a shame that they are not recognizing the deficiencies and making and effort to fix them. Management did not appear the least bit concerned with the lact of service or friendliness, in fact they radiated the same persona as their staff.

All in all, I wanted to honestly reflect our experiences, but I also want to emphasize that we went to relax and enjoy our vacation and we did. Would I go back to this resort, probably not BUT it was a good vacation and there is nothing about the resort that should ruin your Jamaican experience.

2 Thank jimbob1109

Milton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

We had booked with this hotel to attend a wedding. We were a family of 4 [ 2 children]. In the initial booking, we requested a high floor with 2 double beds and a view of the pool/ocean.

When we arrived, we were put in a ground floor with a king bed, toilet flush not working, bulbs in toilet and in the living room fused and not replaced. The room was not sprayed for insects and there were lots of mosquitoes. Room service was non-existent.

Went up to the Lobby/Front desk - requesting for a change of room, only to be told that there were none, however, could get an upgrade, if we paid an additional US$39/- per person.

The next day, met with the travel agent rep and explained the situation. Got the room changed to 5th floor with 2 double beds and a pool/ocean view.

Overall - the hotel is great, but the service and the room maintenance has a lot to say. Cleaning of the floors and the bathrooms is average. We found sand and human hair on the floors/walls of the bathroom. Food is moderate and you could get a better deal in Cuba. They have 4 la carte restaurants. Try getting a dinner reservation on their online system. Says always full. Quite frustrating. The service is very slow . On one occasion - the Italian restaurant, the air-conditioners stopped working and even after a couple of days, they were struggling to get it back to normal.

Their beach is man made - not natural and hardly worth the money if you are looking for a beach resort to swim in. Swimming pool is large and connected. All 700 rooms are junior suites with either a king bed or 2 double beds, a tub, shower tray and a built in wall couch for one person/kid.

The room comes with a "room safe" , but that is additional. US$6.00 per day. Room service is addtional. There is a mini-bar in the room and is stocked once a day - no charge. Internet service is expensive and dial up. Telephone is expensive. If you use a GSM phone [World phone], buy a local prepaid GSM card from Digicell and use it to make calls to US, Canada, Europe etc.

Be prepared for mosquitoes and carry a lot of mosquito repellent and "after bite". Buying these items in the hotel pharmacy is extremely expensive and the price is 3-5 times what you will pay back home.

Overall - I would not recommend this hotel to friends or make another trip to this hotel.

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank rctoronto
Saginaw, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

I have to say this place is definitely the best I've ever been to. I have never been treated any nicer. The people that work here, and everyone I encountered while in Jamaica were so nice and caring. The hotel was beautiful. Reading some of the reveiws on here made me expect it to be dirty, and that people are rude but they aren't! Our room was beautiful..nice king size bed, table with two charis, cable tv, balcony with table and chairs, sofa couch..etc. The bathroom was huge, big walk in shower, a big jet tub, and a seperate toilet area. Housecleaning comes in daily to clean and they do a pretty good job.
The pool was huge, and very clean. It wraps around the hotel. So if it's crowded in one area...go down a ways and you'll be in the quiet.
The hotel has entertainment every night. If you go, make sure to see the shows. The dancers are my favorite :-) Kudos to them! We made some really good friends with a couple of the guys....Ricardo and Jermaine...the best guys you will meet on the whole resort!! They showed us a good time, watched out for us, and became our good friends. I definitely reccomend this hotel!! The ONLY thing I did not like was that the food was only available certain hours of the day. Breakfast is done at 10 sharp, and I couldn't find anything else to eat until lunch at 12:30-1:00. On vacation I like to get up late...so I missed breakfast most days and had to wait until it opened for lunch. In between lunch and dinner they did have an area with food set up, but I still did not like that. I think the buffet should be open most of the day. The food was o.k. but I am not one to eat different things, and I do not like fish so I kind of had slim pickings. Overall though, this hotel is the best and I reccomend it to everyone!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jaymeq
atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

This was our 2nd trip to Jamaica in 10 years and a lot has changed since.
we travelked June 27-July 2
Start by bringing US dollars to tip with. Their will people at the airport with their hands out for a tip. If they didn't do anything for you, don't feel obligated to give. Of course tip your driver. We gave $5 US dollars because it was a 40 minute ride and he did give a brief history of the island. We arranged our transport through Tourwise prior to travel. there was only us and another couple and their small child on our van so the trip was much more pleasant, not a lot of stopping at a bunch of resorts on the way. We did stop at a local shop with a tavern upstairs. Be warned the prices at these shops are rediculously overpriced. don't feel pressured into making a purchase. We didn't spend a penny at this stop. just got out and walked through the shop and got back on the van. Why pay for a drink when you have already covered that at your all-inclusive prior to arrival.

The resort....we arrived to a porter who greeted us and put our luggage on a cart and directed us to the check in desk. If you want change in US dollars, you can get it from the front desk. Go early because they do run out and you have to wait until the next day after the bank run. By the way, the property was just breathtaking and very clean. The floors were spotless. We checked in with no problem and was in our room #21508, in less than 10 minutes upon arrival. We were upgraded to a Gold room, no ammenities tho. Got the house slippers which was better than nothing as well aws a bottle of rum and a fruit plate.

Our room was very nice, there was a towel displayed as a Swan on the bed when we arrived. I figured this was nice and I would like to be greeted with the sort each day, so for two days we left our maid $2 US dollars as a tip and a note thanking her for her service. We never got the towel display after day 1 and as far as the mini bar, it was your usual coke, sprite, fanta orange, bottled water and two cans of milwaulke Beer. Nothing o9ut of the way was done so I figured why tip for services that had already been paid for prior to arrival. Not that I am cheap or ungreatful. I just didn't feel it was neccesary to give extra for what is typically done on a day today basis. WIFI is $15 US dollars a day.

The pool, very clean and nice. no problems there. The beach is exactly as they say, man made and pebble. Wear flip flops or water shoes unless you have tuff soles. The lagoon for snorkeling I understand is great and you do see quiet a few sea creatures from eels to blowfish, however, I went in to wade and now I have a rash on my chest and arm. I do believe the previous review that there are biting parasites in the water.

The staff....very pleasant and helpful. Not one time did I find any staff member behaving inappropriate. I had heard that the men came on to some of the women who traveled alone.. In actuallity, I have seen how some of the women who traveled along behaved and I feel that they might have brought unwarranted attention to themselves. But that is no excuse.

The Buffet...immaculent and such a variety. you basically edon't eat anything at all if you can't find something here. I don't know what some of the previous reviewers were looking for, however, beef, poultry, seafood, pork, oand lamb was available for meat lovers. All types of vegetables for veggies, bread stations, sandwich stations, deli meats, desserts of all sorts, smoothies, fruits... I could go on for days. Breakfast was always awesome, crepes, waffles, pancakes, eggs cooked any way you want from poached to omelets. So you do have options.

The Pisces snack bar...this is where you get your jerk, just walk to the end by the drink machine and down the stairs. We couldn't find it the first day. The Jerk is awesome if you like a lot of kick in the spices. yummy!

A la cartes... we did the italian and the Mikado. Not really impressed with the italian, the air conditioner went out the nite we went there, so I was too miserable to enjoy my meal. Somewhat ok. a 3 our of 5 with 5 being excellent. The Mikado was really nice. kinda like Benihanas Japanese restaraunt.

The bars.....The best bar for us was the one directly opposite of the check in counter. I don't think many people are aware it's there. Antonio was our bartender for most part and he was great. Past reviewers complained about the weak alcohol. My husband and I aren't specialist when it comes to alcohol, however the drinks were a little weak and we just asked to double the alcohol. no problem. I did find it strange that if we wanted premium alcohol such as courvoisier, we had to pay for it. Other words it was charged to your room. Also you would think that they would have Appletons Rum pouring out of the woodwork, not here, it runs out fast and you have to wait til the next day if you want Appletons. Otherwise the drinks were good and pretty. Flavorful too.

Excursions...shoud be booked prior to arrival. much cheaper. They have an area with different tour companies to book your trips. The best thing to do is figure out which trips you want to take and then go from table to table and price shop.
If you take the shopping tourin Ocho Rios, keep in mind that you go to a local craft market
your driver may tell you the prices are better in the market than in the shops downtown Ocho Rios, because you can bargain. Well I found even with bargaining the prices were too steep, these people have stuff that they will try to sell you that you could find in the States for much much less. If you don't want to buy, just say no and walk away, they will check and see if you are vuneralble. I just tell them that this is not my first time here and that I already have that stuff just so they would leave me alone. But there were pieces that I really liked a lot the wood carvings and couldn't get the guy to take my final offer so I just walked away. Sometimes they will call you back and say ok, but this guy didn't. For me that was the best thing he could have done because when we got to the shops, I found the same piece for $10 less than my final offer. The shops are mostly ran by people from the middle east, India. They will bargain as well becaus they are the owners. The give better prices and will ask you what do you want to spend.

Entertainment....lots of spanish people from other Gran Bahia resorts...pool side entertainement i give a 3.5 on a scale of 1-5. The dancing on the other hand was great and the singing is awesome. These people could come to the US and make platinum records in a day.

There is a free shuttle to Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville pretty much each nite. The nites are themed so check and see which nite is best for you. They will give you an arm band for free admission. They told us that we would get a free drink, but we didn't. The tall drinks are $11. FYI

Do go, bring plenty of sunscreen and insect repellent. If there was anything I would change about the resort, I would take the carpet out of the hallways. it takes away from the beautiful tiles and marble. Plus hard to keep clean.

Overall, our trip was awesome. Very kid friendly, We plan to bring our 15 and 8 year old girls back next spring.

6 Thank jadesykes
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

We just came back from an AMAZING vacation at the Gran Bahia Jamaica! Everything about this resort is fabulous! We had the gold package and the service was unbelievable! We were checked in on the bus, our room was stunning with an ocean view, and the staff was amazing! we traveled with our 4 year old and it was very kid friendly. We had heard bad reviews about the beach but it was fantastic, very clean and the water was awesome! The restaurants/food was GREAT! Definately try the "Mikado" restaurant! All in all it was our favourite vacation. We are definately going back!

2 Thank MochaSlice
perth, scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

just spent two weeks at the bahia, we are well travelled, done several "all inclusives" all over the carribean.
although sold as a 5 star/4+ star depending on the agent, you should know that even more expensive than lots of other resorts, on the scale of things, you do not get 5 star for this price, try staying at the half moon with it,s prices !
if you want 5 star , pay 5 star prices ie :- £300 per night --- no flights or meals included !

onto the review, mostly clean, but lots of minor faults, all mentioned on here before, so i will not list them all again,
the key stops working every couple of days, and we were almost as far from reception as we could get, so had several "long walks" to get it reset.
we were flooded 3 times, one of them from upstairs, and the others when our toilet blocked and overflowed.

had to be out by about 7 am if you want a "comfy" lounger by the pool, there are plenty others, but the comfy ones are all well spoken for early.

tips, do not use the hotel taxi, $80 to ochi rios return,but go outside and you will get one for $10 each way

all in, a good holiday, but i would not return, and would not reccomend it to anyone else.

2 Thank ScotlandDougie
Mcdonough,Ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

Our arrival at the Gran Bahia was just fabulous with the reception being very warm and welcoming. Since it was only 1:00 P.M. our room was not ready so we made our way to the lunch buffet and then on to the Main Pool Bar. Meeting Jerome and Gerrick at the Main Pool Bar was the first highlight of our trip - they are both fun, accomodating and made sure each day we had a great time whenever we stopped by or on some afternoons just hung out for hours. The other bartenders we really enjoyed there were Rauel, Damion, Timmoy and Marcia!

We arrived in our beautifully appointed room in much need of a nap and afterward went back to the buffet. While my husband's shirt was not a tank it did have cap sleeves and they refused service to him and would not allow me to make a plate to take up to our room. I dined alone and quickly and again was unimpressed with the food but the staff was gracious. I returned to our room and we decided to go down to the lobby bar for a bit and really enjoyed the service we received from Lecia! We returned to our room and i jotted a note for our housekeeper requesting a few extra beers in our refrigerator, washclothes and more note paper and accompanied her daily notes with a couple dollars and misc. school supplies I had brought from home. We never met our housekeeper directly but she took great care of all our needs on a regular basis.

The buffet at breakfast is the best time to dine there and otherwise other buffet reviews are accurate in regards to poor quality and mediocre dishes. Our first ala carte at The Grill was fabulous and I enjoyed the lamb as my best meal while there and my husband also enjoyed his steak. It was a sirloin but had excellent flavor. Our server Alton was just so accomodating and checked in regularly. It had us really looking forward to our reservation at Mikado Japanese the next night. Mikado was also very good and while not exactly what we expected or as delicious as many other experiences here at home it was soooooo much better than the buffet again! Kadian was a fabulous server and we enjoyed meeting her.

Let's talk lunch....the Jerk Chicken over at the beach is fabulous and the entire staff there is just as great. After discovering this I was waiting daily for the chicken and/or pork to come off the grill. The buffet is also very palatable and had hotdogs and hamburgers. If you really like Heinz Ketchup you may want to bring a few packs from home in your suitcase as everyone agreed the ketchup was too sweet and totally different. The bartenders there are also just as gracious and accomodating!

Our group went snorkeling and most of them really enjoyed it even with the water being choppy and very windy. Our captain TLC was funny and very helpful and gave us a lot of information about the surrounding area and resorts. For $33 US dollars it was a great experience whether you snorkel or just want to get out on a boat!

I love to see the beach but am not a huge beach bum but...the beach was very nice and the water was gorgeous. Went to Cool Gear and bought a float for $12 USD and enjoyed several hours just floating in the little bay and it was so relaxing. I highly recommend bringing a float from home as $12 is a lot when you can buy them for less than $3 in the US and in the package easy to pack. The scuba/dive shop will blow them up for you and you can also float in the huge pool.

The POOL - beautiful and clean! The tips on going down early if you want a chair are very accurate sadly and I did make it one day early enough to enjoy a day in the shade lounging and reading in a pool chair. (I arrived at the pool @6:15 AM!) By 7:00 AM there was not a chair to be seen so just plan for your pool day. When we went up we let others know we were leaving so they could use the chairs. There were many chairs that sat vacant for hours and hours and it is sad that guests do this and never really use them. I was on vacation and decided it was not worth making an issue. The fun crew at the pool is alot of fun and I encourage everyone to join in on some of the activities.

Would we go back? YES but with a lot of thought into which resort and with more planning as we were Jamaica "virgins". The people of Jamaica are some of the nicest we have met in all of our travels. As mentioned I would pack some floats and ketchup for my husband, ensure advance reservations or pay the upgrade to have more ala carte meals to avoid the buffet and have room service and last but probably not least make sure I had a compatible cell phone while in Jamaica. Go and enjoy! It was a fabulous value for the money and we have no regrets!

4 Thank tlcgeorgia
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
#22 of 66 in Montego Bay
4.0 of 5 stars 783 reviews

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!