“The good, the bad and the ugly.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Salt Coopers Villa, Runaway Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #5 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
Toronto, Canada
“The good, the bad and the ugly.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Traveled to Bahia Principe in July 2014.
To better understand my position: 1) I’m not a teenager 2) Travel at least twice a year to 4-5 star resorts across Caribbean. 3) Not a spoiled brat.
I called that trip: The good, the bad and the ugly.
Good:
We love Jamaica. Ya man! Blue Hole trip – an awesome trip. Jerk chicken ---the best in the world!
Beach was ok. Nice weather. Enjoyed playing soccer on the beach. Pretty much – that’s it.
Bad:
We booked this place 6 month in advance. Upon arrival get a room on the first floor in one of the section, which was too away from the beach. Receptionist and the manager don’t even bother to move a finger to help with our request to change the room.
Towels were not delivered (2 days out of 7).
Beach towels – not always available. We have to wait 15-20 min.
Tried to book a dinner on the second day of our arrival to any la carte restaurant and the only time left: 5-30 or 9pm. Tell me, will your kids wait till 9pm when they still swimming at 5-30? Right.
Wine. Red wine from Spain. It’s a tragedy. You need to be really drunk or do not understand anything in wine to drink it. Management probably understands it and on our 7th day of stay, some bottles of red wine from Argentina had been delivered. Oh yes, totally forget, If you don’t like ALL INCLUSIVE wine – go ahead – pay for good one.
Food was OK. I’m not saying it was good or special, it was OK.
Ugly:
Everyday got a dozen of mosquito bites. Reported. Got a spray to spray the room. Will you spray the room before you will go to bed? Do you still care about your health?
Shower was broken. Nobody came to repair it.
All inclusive drinks --cheap (if you are not a privileged member. Privileged member? Yes – not you –if you are reading it. See my comments below). Beer in the room’s fridge --- from Trinidad (what’s happened with a Red Stripe from Jamaica?). At the beach – 3 days out of 7 – issue with a fridge or pump. Warm beer. Asked for Mojito – no mint. Watched for a guy (privileged member – different color of bracelet) ordering mojito right after me (just step 3m away) – no problem man – mint is available. Really? Mint is so expensive or you want to tell me something about my all inclusive bracelet?
What I’m trying to say:
Currently Hotel Management is focusing on selling vacation membership (through 90min presentation) and would like to show everyone how beautiful and problem-free this hotel is. But in reality they should focus on the regular customers like you and me so you will not feel as a poor cousin.
Please, don’t even bother to reply to this post and explain something. Will be better if you will address the existing issues and make other people vacations a little bit better.
Like I said – Love Jamaica. Next time I’ll choose a better place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comment on Trip Advisor about our hotel.

We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced at our property. We will take your concerns into consideration and we will forward to the head of department so that preventative measures can be taken that these situations will not caus any further inconvenience.

Thank you for your observations.

Yours Truthfully,

6,039 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,562)
  • Polish first
Bloomfield, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The people at the check-in were very friendly , and we had a drink after we checked-in, it was yummy.... the hotel porter treated us like we were royalty.... it was so nice to be treated like a queen , and the maid staff were very polite and told me where things were.... I just loved it... would go back to the Grand Bahia principe , in Jamaica in a new york heartbeat.....

Room Tip: I would recommend spending time at the pool, and the pool bar, you can get what you want , without a...
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for letting us knows that you have enjoyed your vacation stay in our hotel the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica. We are happy to know that we have exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Yours Respectfully,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My boyfriend and I traveled to this hotel July 13-20th 2014.

The airport in Montego Bay is the nicest Caribbean one I've seen so far. It was easy to find the bus and Transat rep. The bus ride was about 1 hour to the hotel, direct.

One of the nicest parts was that our room assignment and wristbands had already been done for us - we were given a welcome package on the bus, and basically only had to pay our $50 deposit for the safe when we arrived at the hotel. We also had restaurant reservations made for us (we were golden club) but this was the only real difference from the people with the regular (blue) wristbands.

The hotel grounds are gorgeous and are kept super clean. We always saw people cleaning, and things smelled nice and fresh.

The beach is awesome. There's a rocky beach where the boats are which we only went to in order to take sunset pictures. The rest of the beach is sandy - trucked-in but gorgeous - and the water is amazing. The section of the beach that's closer to the hotel was crowded with families (and part of it is reserved for privilege/ don pablo club members,) so we walked further to where there were lots of trees. I was happy because our section of water and beach was fairly empty, we had tons of shade to choose from (trees and palapas) and there was a shower, bathroom and bar right near us.

We went into the nude section once (it's super tiny.) There were a couple of girls there fully dressed and we saw that the beach was not as nice.

There are lots of excursions (we didn't do any). The one to Dunn's River falls had good reviews from people we spoke to, and it was half an hour away. The other ones were all 3 hours away. (Runaway is a place to relax!)

We ate at the regular buffet only about 4 times in total. It's MASSIVE. It seats tons of people, has tons of staff and lots and lots of food. It was okay.

When we discovered the adults-only buffet, we basically only ate there. It was quiet, mostly empty and the staff had time to talk to us. It's open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food was less picked-over obviously because it wasn't as busy, and I feel that the nicer items came there (or maybe they just didn't run out as fast.) The fish is awesome at this resort! I constantly ate whitefish, cod, shrimp, etc. I didn't see mango or papaya at the regular buffet, or desserts that were as nice. The staff at the restaurant were awesome. I remember Shane and Kimberlin and Tommy. :-)

The beach grill was good, but we only went there for lunch when we wanted jerk. The guacamole and the jerk were awesome. There is usually a line, so be prepared to wait. The sauces they had to go on it were actually spicy, which is awesome for me since I love it, and such a surprise from other AI hotel stays. One day, we both got up for food and had a plate with food on the table, and the crows landed on it and started eating it. In the future, we just made sure to watch our food.

We went to 2 restaurants - the beach restaurant (the round one) and the Don Pablo. The food was plentiful and delicious at the beach one - I had salmon and my boyfriend had steak, both of which were seasoned and cooked well. The apps and dessert are buffet, which is nice. We went to the Don Pablo another night and left before dessert. We missed the buffet. I always tell myself not to go to the restaurants in the AIs. It was super busy and the food was strange - a shrimp soup that tasted like jerk, and a tiny piece of salmon. Just don't bother with the restaurants - the buffet has tons of choice and changes the items every night.
And yes, sometimes they use items from lunch in dinner food, but I saw people with a temperature gun checking for safety, and I don't care how much I paid for my trip, I don't want perfectly good food wasted. I create new things out of leftovers all the time at home. It tasted good, we didn't get sick, that's all I care about.

The room was great, it had a beautiful view of the pool and ocean, and an awesome canopy bed. I saw lots of reviews about pillows being hard, but we had a king size bed and 5 bed pillows to choose from, plus couch pillows if we wanted. I found softer bed pillows in the closet.
Our air conditioner leaked one day, but the guy came to fix it the next day and it wasn't leaking anymore anyway. Meh.

The number one reason I will go back to Jamaica is the people. My boyfriend is extremely shy and quiet, but everyone we spoke to on and off the resort were so open and friendly that even he socialized. I had a great time talking to the staff, who were always happy and friendly. There were tons of people trying to sell us upgrades, packages, excursions, etc around the hotel, but even if they realized they wouldn't sell us anything, they chatted with us anyway. People are just so so nice there, and genuine. I seriously have not encountered this anywhere else.
Jamaica just has such a great vibe that can't be reproduced anywhere else.

I don't know if my experience was so great because of the hotel (it's pricey, but we decided to pay a bit more for a nicer experience). But I would definitely recommend this location, and I will definitely go back with my family and when I have kids.
Love it!

Room Tip: We were in building 17, which is close to the beach and pool. It was all the way across the resort f...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

First of all thank you for your comment in Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed our grounds, beach, restaurants, grill, room and the warmth and friendliness of the Jamaican people.

We do hope that on your next visit to Jamaica that you will choose the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica the best family resort for another relaxing vacation.

Warm Regards,

Pasadena, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Was there June 10-17, 2014. As soon as I arrived there was Ms. Smiley, welcoming me and my family back, what a wonderful woman! Our Butler, was the best! Garcon, that you so much for your hospitality and your kindness, you are why we come back. What can I say about Lorraine in the Don Pablo Lounge, FANTASTIC !!!! By the time I left I felt I’ve known Lorraine for many years, what a plus someone like her working for you!! The young ladies working the afternoon/night shift in the Don Pablo lounge, EXCELLANT, by the second day I sat down and they knew what I was drinking, I didn't even have to ask, I felt like I was in my local bar. All is good at this resort, the food, the rooms, the whole facility is great. But it is the people who work there that make you want to come back. Down at the outside grill, Mr. McKenzie, you are the best, thank you for taking such good care of me, my family and my entire group, it was a pleasure being served and entertained by you. The one thing I did miss was Phillip the jerk chicken man, he was inside and should be outside working the jerk chicken, he is a MASTER of costumer relations!! The guy this year was very nice, but not PHILLIP. Phillip you were truly missed!! You know how to talk to the customers and keep the line moving!!! Look forward to seeing everyone again in the near future. OOO how could I forget the entertainment staff, you are wonderful! And a very special shout out to my girl Antonio, we are glad you came back. The young ladies that provide service to the Don Pablo pool, you are also fantastic!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear User of Trip Advisor,

Thank you for letting us knows that you and your family enjoyed a wonderful vacation in our hotel Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica.It is a pleasure for us that you come back soon. We are happy to know that you exceeding your expectations. It is a pleasure to know that you were happy with the level of service from Ms. Smiley, Lorraine, Garcon, Mr. McKenzie, Phillip and Antonio.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Your Truthfully,

Grand Rapids
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

Be ready to walk long distances and take on several flights of steps! Great service and great food. Security was abundant and shows were every night. Disco was slow and quite empty. Overall good hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review about our hotel Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica.

We're thrilled as to know that we were able to offer such an incredible experience for you. We will always want to ensure that we meet the needs of each guest. It was our pleasure to host you at our resort and we look forward to you visiting again!

Yours Respectfully,

Richmond Hill, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I went to the Gran Bahia for the 3rd time in a year and a half since I had had such an amazing time on my two previous stays. I will still stand behind my original review that the resort is beautiful, food is great and staff are wonderful. My concern is that on our first night our room was broken into. This was over the balcony (our door did not have one of the pin locks that should be on all doors). Luckily the items that were taken did not amount to a huge sum of money (couple hundred dollars). The morning we called the security came immediately to investigate but then that was it. We did not hear again from the hotel with any follow up. Upon our return we contacted the hotel and they advised us that they had apprehended the person responsible for the break in. After some back and forth with the customer service department the only compensation that the hotel was willing to offer was an upgrade should be book with them again. An organization of this size and with a 5 star rating I think should have handled matters better. Especially knowing that it was their negligence in not providing the appropriate locks on the balcony (which by the way they replaced that day we advised them of the break in). My recommendation would be for anyone staying here to ensure you have a safe, put all valuables away and ensure that the lock on your balcony is secure.
Unfortunately after that experience and the lack of concern from the hotel I have decided to move onto another hotel and just returned from the RIU Ocho Rios (review to follow).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear user of Trip Advisor,

First, we want to inform you that we sincerely regret the situation that you report us.

In this regard, we would like to acknowledge that we have very strict control of all issues reported and regarding this particular case, we can ensure that all the security protocols established by the chain were strictly followed. In addition, please kindly note that we allocate all our effort and measures at your disposal to take extra security measures and avoid such situations.
Of course, we would like to add that we are at our guest’s disposal any time to provide them the necessary assistance to denounce situations or cases as you mention to the relevant authorities of this country.

For total peace of mind of our customers, we recommend at arrival the use of safe boxes available in all rooms to deposit their valuables.

Best wishes,

Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This is a beautiful hotel. I love staying at luxury hotels. This is what you would say looks are deceiving. We arrived around 1:30-2:00 pm, we were told that our rooms was not ready. The front desk clerk told us to go have some lunch and by the time we return our room should be ready. Upon our return, the rooms was not ready. By 6pm they placed my 70 year old mother- in-law and my 17 year old son in a room sharing a bed. We paid $6,653 for our trip to be placed in a hot, sweaty, sharing a bed and dirty room. I had to call my travel agent to follow on my request, because to know avail the front desk clerk and the supervisor did not want to believe what I have to say. If it was not for a young lady Francine who kept checking on us and making sure that someone was still assisting us. We would've been in the lobby all night. Finally after my travel agent got them to upgrade our rooms and countless phone calls to fix the fan in my MIL and son's room. It seems as though things were ok.As for this hotel, all the care about is selling a membership which is a disguise for a time share. The rep claims that it will take 90 minutes, it was 1/2 day. Please avoid them at all cause. The dinning room staff were rude, they murmured under their breath. They would ask you what would like to drink and did not return. After stumbling on an adult only dinning area, the service got better. Sadly it was the last night of our trip. Will never ever stay there again. I am Jamaican and I have never seen this type of behavior before at a 3 or 5 star hotel. Back to Kingston I will go.

Dear Guest,

We cannot tell you how deeply we regret not being able to reach your expectations during your stay with us. We have been taken very good notes about all your comments mentioned in your review to address them to our relevant department heads to take the corrective measures regarding those situations.

We sincerely regret that you were not completely satisfied with our performance. We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to host you again on our property.

Yours Sincerely,

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!