We just returned from a week at the Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica - my husband and I and another couple. We travel to an island every year and this was our second time in Jamaica. The Gran Bahia chain is a good chain and this particular hotel is very good.
The grounds are beautiful, there is a lot to do at the hotel and the food is very good. Here are some useful tips:
- a very useful tip which we did not discover until our last day!! There are TWO buffets, not just one. You can't miss the main buffet but little did we know, that around the corner, facing the Don Pablo pool, there is another smaller, quieter Adults-only buffet. Very good to know if it's busy at the main buffet
- there is an outdoor seating area at the main buffet. Even though the resort was fully booked while we were there, we were able to get a table outside for virtually every breakfast and supper. Much nicer atmosphere, quieter, cooler.
- another very useful tip: there is a Gran Bahia app that you can download and apparently, you can book all of your a la carte reservations ahead of time.....I didn't do this, but it would have been helpful - booking the a la cartes is difficult
- you get 1 hour free wifi per day, in the lobby. you can also buy additional wifi for the week
- the safe in the room is going to cost you $ 6 US per night. You have to put a $ 50 deposit down
- the beach grill is great! don't miss the jerk chicken centre, go down the stairs for that
- you can snorkel right out front of the resort at the smaller beach or at the main beach. Bring water shoes. You can just stand up in spots and see plenty of fish.
- the main beach is great - at the very end of it, around the point, there are washrooms, so if you pick a chair near the end, you can be close to two bars and the washrooms
- and yes, just like so many resorts, you have to get to the pool or beach early in the morning to reserve your chairs
- the lobby bar has great entertainment every night and it's a nice place to gather
The resort is very big and you will do a lot of walking. We enjoyed that because we ate so much!! But if you don't like walking, then don't book this resort and then complain.....
We booked a driver to bring us into Ocho Rios for the day. He stayed with us all day, brought us to some shopping spots, lunch, etc. It cost us $ 100 US for the day. Let me just say, that there is not a lot in Ocho Rios and the shopping area at the resort is just as good.
And don't buy you liquor in Ocho Rios and probably not even at the resort, there is a great liquor store at the airport and they definitely had the best prices.
So overall, this is a great resort, the pool is very big, lots of space for a lot of people to spread out. The only very minor complaint I had was that the white wine that they serve you at the main buffet is awful. I'm not a wine connoisseur by any means, but it truly was awful. But I found that if you asked for other white wine, some of the servers were willing to get it for you. Apparently the red wine was okay.
The staff are great - the majority of them are very friendly and outgoing and seem genuinely happy that you are there. Great time, enjoy this resort.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica
- Bahia Principe Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Hotel
- Grand Bahia Jamaica
- Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay
- Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica Runaway Bay
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Amex, Tingo, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, getaroom.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Venere, Fareportal and Otel so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.