I am a first time traveller so I don't have much to compare this experience to. With that being said I do know the value of good customer service which was lacking around the resort. The front desk staff and staff that book the a la carts were very unpleasant. At times they would whisper to one another with you standing right in front of them it was obvious that they were talking about the customers with the snide looks they would give you when they paused and then continued talking to one another. We had a late arrival and late departure. The check in was smooth but nothing exciting. The next morning we had to sit through an orientation with the travel company which made us miss the breakfast buffet. Everyone was starving and not impressed. Luckily we found the grill near the ocean (go there to find the best jerk chicken ever!!). Best service at the resort was there! We had Kerenton and Christopher! They were both so pleasant and really made it an enjoyable! They knew how to keep their customers happy and coming back! That resort needs more staff like Kerenton and Christopher working at the front desk! We visited them daily and were sad to say our good byes on the last day :(
The rooms were ok, nothing spectacular. Our room over looked the lobby bar, pool and could see a bit of the ocean. We did not have our room cleaned everyday but the first time they cleaned our room they took our towels and didn't replace them. We had to track someone down; tip again and finally got 2 towels (yippee). I tipped more and left some gifts the second time they cleaned our room and we ended up with more towels and extra goodies in our fridge. Morale of the story...if you aren't tipping big you aren't getting good service.
We only had one a la carte while we were there because apparently they were all booked up (that was BS)! Friends of ours got their 3 a la carts and said they were never full to capacity. We also knew people who didn't bother to reserve their a la carts, they would just show up, tip at the door and get in. We would have until we experienced the Garden Grill (gross...the steak tasted like dog food)! I know my friends enjoyed the Don Pablo and Japanese a la carts. The buffet was good; food wasn't anything to write home about. The best part was the fresh omelets in the morning and the lobster dinner night!
The good was the group we were with! They totally made the trip! Great group of people, beautiful wedding and lots of great memories!
The excursions were awesome! We did Dunn's River Falls (Chukka Tours) and Dolphin's Cove! AWESOME!!! I would advise folks not to book through Transat for the Dunn's River Falls, go to the beach where you sign up for the kayaking and snorkeling. You can get a much better price. I booked the Dolphin Coves tour through Rekesha at the shop right outside of the Jerk Chicken Centre! She was so nice and awesome to deal with! She came to see us the morning we were leaving for the Dolphin Cove excursion to make sure we got on the right bus and were prepared for the trip!
The nightly entertainment was fun! The best night was the Steel Drum band from Kingston! They were amazing!!! We had a blast at the pool side! They always had something going on whether it was aqua aerobics or beer chugging competitions! Kevin is in charge of the entertainment! He was very personable and got the crowd involved!
Overall we had fun but that was mostly thanks to the folks noted above and our great group of friends. I would most likely not recommend this particular resort to friends or family. I would recommend Jamaica! It’s a beautiful place! We have agreed that we need to try somewhere else to have something to compare our first experience to. Happy Travels Everyone!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 lake-style connecting pools with 2 areas for children 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace with gardens, sun umbrellas and loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 2 tennis courts, volleyball court, football pitch Water activity centre Pool and beach towel service WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo 2 buffet-style main restaurants and 5 speciality restaurants 8 Bars Snack bar Entertainment amphitheatre Meeting and convention room The 18 hole Breezes Runaway golf course is just 5 minutes from the hotel. Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, sports bar and disco Rooms 850 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Sea View Junior Suite, Club Golden and Club Hacienda Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Pillowtop mattresses Fully-equipped bathroom with separate shower and hydromassage bath tub, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ventilador de techo Sitting area with sofa Balcony or terrace Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children (aged 4 to 12) will have the time of their lives with these facilities: Children's pool Special shows and activities Entertainment team Mini Club (4 - 12 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Nudist area on the beach Bahia 'au Naturel' (over 18s only) The hotel has a nudist bathing area apart from the other areas ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp. and Otel so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Hotel
- Grand Bahia Jamaica
- Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica Runaway Bay