“just came back - awesome!!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica to your Saves list
Expedia.com Orbitz.com
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Salt Coopers Villa | Runaway Bay, Runaway Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #5 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
London, Ontario, Canada
“just came back - awesome!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Went with 3 other women for a great 1 week vacation - we had a blast, the hotel was majestic, food amazing, clean and beautiful!! problems with towels for sure, we had to beg to get them and for some reason they don't have a lot of facecloths. The staff is nice to you if there is something in it for them, they are phony and very tip driven. We took the Dunns Fall tour, great fun but when we ordered the video they took of us for $40, it was very disappointing to get someone's else. Of course, we didn't find out until we got home. I recommend you take your own pictures!!! overall, the weather, the venue, the food was amazing 5/5 but the staff 1/5.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Carole,

We are thrilled to hear that your expectations have been fulfilled during your stay with us that the beauty of the place, food, cleanliness, friendly staff and the entertainment were of your pleasantness.

Thank you for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica; we can't wait to host you again on your next trip to Jamaica.

Warm regards,

Marvelis Symister
Grand Bahia Principe Jamica.

5,634 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,418)
  • Polish first
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We went to Jamaica last year so this will not be a very up to date review but...... So the resort is beautiful, the people working there are very friendly and helpful. We did not have any major complains. The food was good and we loved the special bars every evening ( sweets, cheese, fruits). The Japanese restaurant was nice and our 5 year old enjoyed it very much .
The pool is huge and the pool bar is well kept.
We enjoyed Dunn's fall very much and the dolphin cove is a must. We took a shopping trip to ocho rios but the bus only took us to some sort of a mall and left us there for 2 hours. If you want to do some shopping and some sight seeing you might be better of taking a taxi and enjoy Ocho Rios.
In conclusion, i definitely would recommend the resort ( already did a few times :) ) and we where pretty close to return this year.

Room Tip: Best rooms are on the gulf side 15000-19000 third floor and up. A little noisier in the evening but...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica; we are more than happy to learn throughout your review, that we were able to meet your expectations during your recently stay in our resort.

It is rewarding to know that the beach, friendly and helpful staff, special bars, the Japanese restaurant, pool, and overall the services, still captivating your attention.

We are more than happy for your recommendation to other possible guests and are already looking forward to host you again next year on your next trip to Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Jamaica.

Warm regards,

Marvelis Symister
Grand Bahia Principe Jamica
CB Nfld
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I've read many reviews where I thought people are too picky. Well this is probably one of them. Please don't misunderstand, this is a marvelous facitity, but after seeing the property for several years and the cost of a vacation there, we were expecting much more. We went there because we wanted to try some place different than Mexico from the past 6 years. Price had always been a deterent, but we got a really good deal so we went. Our stay turned out to be good, but maybe our expectations were too high based on ratings and knowing what it usually cost to go here. A la cartes were really good, buffet average, with few things such as availability of fruit and drink selection below what we are used to. Great place to go to relax, as you can find quiet areas with lots of chairs available. Very loud around one section of the pool, which I do not usually mind, but I can only take so much reggae music. This was echoed by several people, as I went to a quieter section of the pool and played a little bluetooth speaker I had and several people passed by and said "finally some real music." Sorry if I offeded anyone, I like reggae, but not all day. Didn't get our room til after 5, poolbar ran out of bananas, coconut rum, both blenders broke. Just not what you expect from a resort with this reputation. Overall, a good trip, but expected more. Service was generally average. Lots of kids, which I don't mind, but some people might as they are pretty active in certain parts of the pool, but no problem to find a section where there are none.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IselS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. After reading your review we see that, even you have enjoyed our a la carte restaurants, you have found in our hotel a great place to relax and you consider that you have had overall a good trip, unfortunately we were not able to meet all of your expectations.

Kindly allow us to point out that on our quality questionnaires and guests’ satisfaction surveys it is customary that our guests request more reggae music as it is the feeling of being in Jamaica and the Caribbean what they normally pursue. However, the entertainment is located in a delimited section of the pool to allow that those who prefer quiet relaxation could enjoy other pool areas.

Please, be assured that we will certainly be looking into the aspects you have found were not up to par, and your comments will be taken as a tool for our improvement.

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your Jamaican vacation. We sincerely hope to see you again to try our best to provide you a more enjoyable stay.

Yours faithfully,

Miami, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Nice hotel it is a paradise the food is excellent the housekeeping keep the clean and decorate the people is nice. My favored restaurant is the don Pablo and can tell every one the to that paradise me come back next years with all my friend

Room Tip: Nice pool and good room and clean the 24 building high floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
IselS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear Marie,

Thank you for your kind note. It is wonderful when we see that our guests have enjoyed to the full their stay in our hotel and we appreciate to know that you felt delighted with the housekeeping services, the food, the staff friendliness and the appearance and cleanliness of overall the property.

We are thrilled to know that you will come back to us soon and cannot wait to see you again in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Jamaica.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Bahia Principle 13-20 Oct 13 to celebrate my boyfriend birthday.

We booked with Apple Vacations and upgraded to the golden package. Our room was ready around 330pm. We had an ocean front room which had a beautiful view. I wished the patio door had a screen so we could have had the door open over night (couldn't because of misquotes). Our room was spacious and the bathroom was a nice size(separate shower and water closet). The furniture in the room was dated (signs of wear and tear), the tv was out dated (box tv). Being part of the golden package, robes and slippers were suppose to be available for use while there (called 3 days in a row and never received robes so gave up--slippers were there). Limited room service was included but no menu (had to call 2 days and then finally got menu from golden club on day 3). We ere supposed to have quick tour to tell us where everything was including the entertainment board and how to get on wi-fi in lobby which didn't happen. We had to ask the front desk about how to get key for the safe (ended up not needing it to use safe once we found out how to work it). Our toilet ran constancy the first night (closed bathroom door to try to get peace). We noticed on day 3 that water was coming from the toilet area leading into the sink area (had to put towels down). We notified desk and someone came and fixed the problem including the running toilet (so we thought). A day and a half later, the same problem re-occurred. The problem continued until we left Sunday. They had lots of shops on the resort where you can find everything you needed and want. The walls were not very thick. We were able to hear next door neighbor whole telephone conversation at 630am. The weather was wonderful (only 2 days of afternoon rain). The resort was kept in very clean which is a plus.

The resort itself is beautiful; however, the beach area is long but more rocky instead of the sandy beaches we are used to. Also, you had the issue with the chair hogger along the pool area. They would come out early to place their towels on the chairs and then disappear for several hours. That is a problem at any resort you go.

PLUS: Housekeeping were wonderful. They did a wonderful job keeping the room clean. We returned to our room everyday with nice towel art done with fresh flowers and the frig stocked. The buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner were awesome. The snack shop was good (especially the jerk chicken and the pizza). The evening entertainment on the patio was very good. The resort itself was a good size and beautiful views where ever you looked.

NEGATIVES: There were never enough towels. Housekeeping made sure we got extras when they had so if they ran out the next time we still had something. Whenever we turned the a/c off, the room smelled musty. We know the area is humid but there should have been something to control that. The room itself was a little dated. They still had the box television. The pillows were so flat 2 wasn't enough but couldn't get anymore. The shower head was in an awkward position (in middle where you get water on the bathroom floor every time). We went to 3 of the specialty restaurants. There should be a dress code for all the specialty restaurants requiring long pants instead of allowing shorts. At the Japanese restaurant, our server was given additional tables and she continued to give us things we didn't order and couldn't eat (I am deathly allergic to shell fish) which meant food was wasted because I could not eat it. I was able to get the beef tenderloin (lot of fat). At the French restaurant (the only restaurant that had long pant, sleeved shirt dress code), it was full of shell fish once again. The supervisor was very kind to get me a simple salad to go along with my spinach ravioli (very bland but sauce was good). We looked forward to the steak house (how wrong can you go with a steak house....) and was greatly disappointed. We had the laziest server I've ever seen. He spent more time outside the door than doing his job. Your salad, soup and appetizers were self serve and the best thing going. I ordered the rib eye (I'm still looking for the rest of it) and was not very happy with it that I went back to self serve to get something to fill me up. The burger principle (opens from 11pm to 7am) served burgers (salty and cold) and hot dogs(cold). When you had disappointing dinners, you look forward to it to satisfy the hunger crave. The time-share people were the worst. They harass you every time you walk thru the lobby. It got to the point where we would go all the way down and then walk the stairs back up when we wanted to use the wi-fi in the lobby. You come to a resort to relax and have fun, not be harassed into doing a time share presentation.

ENTERTAINMENT: The nightly shows were ok. I had more fun on men vs women night and doing the conga line than some of the other shows they offered. The dancers did a good job. For the size of the resort, I was expecting a whole lot more.

STAFF: I have never been to a resort where the staff act like they didn't want to be there and treated you like you were bothering them. There were a small percentage of staff who were polite, and appeared to like what they were doing. I also noticed that those visitors who gave the staff a little extra in their palms, got the better service and I don't think I should have to give anyone something just to get good service, it should be automatic.

Apple Vacations gives this resort 5 golden apples. It is truly not that. I would give it best 4-5 red apples instead and that's pushing it. It wold not be my first choice to recommend to someone.

Room Tip: Get your room away from the nightly entertainment if you like quiet nights.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate to know that the hotel location, amazing views, food at the buffet, the cleanliness of the property, the wonderful job done by the housekeeper and the entertainment were all of your choice.

However, it is with regret that we hear that you left not totally satisfied with our performance and we hope you accept our apologies for any inconvenience. Rest assured that the satisfaction of our guests it is always on top of our priorities and your opinion has been taken as a tool to rectify and enhance our services.

Thank you for vacationing with us; we sincerely hope to be afforded with the opportunity to host you again and try our best to recover your preference towards our hotel.

Yours respectfully,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

I have been to several all inclusive resorts. My experience is that you usually sacrifice quality and service for price. Not so at Grand Bahia. The place is so beautiful and clean. The staff is extremely hard working.

The quality of the food at the restaurants was surprising. The buffet was huge, bit I would not have wanted to eat there every night. We had the gold package. This gave us a restaurant reservation for 2 of our 4 nights. With this package, they allow you to request an additional reservation by inquiring the day of between 3-5 pm. We were accommodated 3 out of 4 nights. We were happy to try the buffet on the 4th night. The jerk chicken center is located at the beach snack hut, forget the name. There is a main part, and a lower part where they have a huge oiler full of jerk chicken. I could eat this every day, it is not to be missed.

The beach directly down from the pool is all rocks. At first we thought this was the only beach. Then we looked to our left, near the snack hut. There was a huge expanse of beautiful beach. I guess it is man made, but it is lovely.

I took this trip as a girls get away for our 50th birthdays. We had 2 adjoining rooms. I booked through Delta vacations. They let me use 40,000 sky miles toward the price. This lowered the cost by $200 each for 2 of us departing from the same city. The only bad thing was the situation with the airport transfers. Delta vacations said that we were to go outside and look for people in light blue shirts. We were told they would have all of our info and direct us to the proper bus. We actually had to go to a desk inside and they were looking for a travel voucher that we did not have. We were accommodated and did not wait long. The friend who met us there was not so lucky. Her luggage was lost. She had to file a lost luggage claim and the bus left without her. She was then offered a tide for $100. She said she did not have it. The price then dropped yo $25. She gave a $10 tip, as did we each way. None of this was the hotel's fault. I would use Delta vacations again also.

• Stayed October 2013
IselS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Sharon,

We certainly have enjoyed reading your review. Your positive comments in regards of overall our performance have made us feel proud, since the high level of our standards have been able to impress you and also for your statement that here in Bahia Principe we don’t sacrifice the quality of our services for price. We thank you especially for your description of the excellent food options, the staff, and the beach.

Thank you again for your remarks; we cannot wait to see you again in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Jamaica.

Grande Prairie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Spent a wonderful week at this hotel, October 9-16, and I don't think I have anything bad to say. Food in the buffet was great, almost too much choice. We ate at 4 of the 5 restaurants (skipped Picasso) and had a great experience at each one. Really good food, and lots of it. All of the staff at this hotel are incredibly friendly. I read other reviews regarding lack of towels in the room, we didn't have that problem whatsoever. However, on the 3rd day we made a point to find out who our regular housekeeper was and gave her a tip before leaving instead of waiting until the last day. Apparently they only get 1 day off so if you just leave one tip it may not go to the girl that cleans your room all week. But we never had to worry about towel, beer or champagne shortage in our room for the remainder of the stay. Also, we booked through Air Canada Vacations which entitled us to 2 blue beach towels, bath robe and slippers at no extra charge. The ACV rep at the hotel was awesome, and so informative. All of the cleaning staff we encountered in the hallways were so friendly, the hotel really is very clean. Another reviewer commented on the mouldy smell but it was reminiscent of the time I spent travelling in the south pacific. That musty, 'moisture in the room ocean smell' that you don't get on the Canadian prairies.

I also want to give a shout out to Rohan and the rest of the entertainment crew. These guys and gals always seem to be so energetic whether it's getting the water sports going, or the karaoke or the dance floor at the disco. They seem to be 'on' from morning until night, and are each as entertaining as the activities they coordinate. I hope the hotel realizes what a great asset these guys are.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. Daily we would see maintenance guys walking around with paint brushes doing touch ups on the curbs, railings, etc. It seemed there was always cleaning going on somewhere. The nightly entertainment shows were alright, mostly it was a place to sit and have a few drinks, not so much being there for the show itself.

This was my first all inclusive experience, and I suppose if I had to complain about anything it would be the bar fridge in our room wasn't super cold and there's no convenient ice machines. However, it was plus 30 temperatures and who wants to stay in the room drinking anyways?? Oh, and our pillows were a little more flat than I'm used to but I kept forgetting to ask our housekeeper for a couple more so it obviously wasn't that big of a concern. Another couple we traveled with requested additional bedding and received it promptly. I will be returning to Jamaica and would love to go back to this resort if I return to the same area.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 21000 block, a bit of a trek from the beach and pueblo. But a little exercise on va...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IselS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

We highly appreciate your kind review. Thank you for informing us that you have had an incredible time with us, and you have been fascinated by the food variety at the buffet and a la carte restaurants, the well kept grounds, the cleanliness of the property, the entertainment and overall the friendly staff.

Thank you for telling us that you have decided returning to our hotel; we will be more than happy to welcome you again on your next vacation.

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!