We stayed at the Grand Bahia Principle 13-20 Oct 13 to celebrate my boyfriend birthday.
We booked with Apple Vacations and upgraded to the golden package. Our room was ready around 330pm. We had an ocean front room which had a beautiful view. I wished the patio door had a screen so we could have had the door open over night (couldn't because of misquotes). Our room was spacious and the bathroom was a nice size(separate shower and water closet). The furniture in the room was dated (signs of wear and tear), the tv was out dated (box tv). Being part of the golden package, robes and slippers were suppose to be available for use while there (called 3 days in a row and never received robes so gave up--slippers were there). Limited room service was included but no menu (had to call 2 days and then finally got menu from golden club on day 3). We ere supposed to have quick tour to tell us where everything was including the entertainment board and how to get on wi-fi in lobby which didn't happen. We had to ask the front desk about how to get key for the safe (ended up not needing it to use safe once we found out how to work it). Our toilet ran constancy the first night (closed bathroom door to try to get peace). We noticed on day 3 that water was coming from the toilet area leading into the sink area (had to put towels down). We notified desk and someone came and fixed the problem including the running toilet (so we thought). A day and a half later, the same problem re-occurred. The problem continued until we left Sunday. They had lots of shops on the resort where you can find everything you needed and want. The walls were not very thick. We were able to hear next door neighbor whole telephone conversation at 630am. The weather was wonderful (only 2 days of afternoon rain). The resort was kept in very clean which is a plus.
The resort itself is beautiful; however, the beach area is long but more rocky instead of the sandy beaches we are used to. Also, you had the issue with the chair hogger along the pool area. They would come out early to place their towels on the chairs and then disappear for several hours. That is a problem at any resort you go.
PLUS: Housekeeping were wonderful. They did a wonderful job keeping the room clean. We returned to our room everyday with nice towel art done with fresh flowers and the frig stocked. The buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner were awesome. The snack shop was good (especially the jerk chicken and the pizza). The evening entertainment on the patio was very good. The resort itself was a good size and beautiful views where ever you looked.
NEGATIVES: There were never enough towels. Housekeeping made sure we got extras when they had so if they ran out the next time we still had something. Whenever we turned the a/c off, the room smelled musty. We know the area is humid but there should have been something to control that. The room itself was a little dated. They still had the box television. The pillows were so flat 2 wasn't enough but couldn't get anymore. The shower head was in an awkward position (in middle where you get water on the bathroom floor every time). We went to 3 of the specialty restaurants. There should be a dress code for all the specialty restaurants requiring long pants instead of allowing shorts. At the Japanese restaurant, our server was given additional tables and she continued to give us things we didn't order and couldn't eat (I am deathly allergic to shell fish) which meant food was wasted because I could not eat it. I was able to get the beef tenderloin (lot of fat). At the French restaurant (the only restaurant that had long pant, sleeved shirt dress code), it was full of shell fish once again. The supervisor was very kind to get me a simple salad to go along with my spinach ravioli (very bland but sauce was good). We looked forward to the steak house (how wrong can you go with a steak house....) and was greatly disappointed. We had the laziest server I've ever seen. He spent more time outside the door than doing his job. Your salad, soup and appetizers were self serve and the best thing going. I ordered the rib eye (I'm still looking for the rest of it) and was not very happy with it that I went back to self serve to get something to fill me up. The burger principle (opens from 11pm to 7am) served burgers (salty and cold) and hot dogs(cold). When you had disappointing dinners, you look forward to it to satisfy the hunger crave. The time-share people were the worst. They harass you every time you walk thru the lobby. It got to the point where we would go all the way down and then walk the stairs back up when we wanted to use the wi-fi in the lobby. You come to a resort to relax and have fun, not be harassed into doing a time share presentation.
ENTERTAINMENT: The nightly shows were ok. I had more fun on men vs women night and doing the conga line than some of the other shows they offered. The dancers did a good job. For the size of the resort, I was expecting a whole lot more.
STAFF: I have never been to a resort where the staff act like they didn't want to be there and treated you like you were bothering them. There were a small percentage of staff who were polite, and appeared to like what they were doing. I also noticed that those visitors who gave the staff a little extra in their palms, got the better service and I don't think I should have to give anyone something just to get good service, it should be automatic.
Apple Vacations gives this resort 5 golden apples. It is truly not that. I would give it best 4-5 red apples instead and that's pushing it. It wold not be my first choice to recommend to someone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 lake-style connecting pools with 2 areas for children 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace with gardens, sun umbrellas and loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 2 tennis courts, volleyball court, football pitch Water activity centre Pool and beach towel service WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo 2 buffet-style main restaurants and 5 speciality restaurants 8 Bars Snack bar Entertainment amphitheatre Meeting and convention room The 18 hole Breezes Runaway golf course is just 5 minutes from the hotel. Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, sports bar and disco Rooms 850 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Sea View Junior Suite, Club Golden and Club Hacienda Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Pillowtop mattresses Fully-equipped bathroom with separate shower and hydromassage bath tub, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ventilador de techo Sitting area with sofa Balcony or terrace Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children (aged 4 to 12) will have the time of their lives with these facilities: Children's pool Special shows and activities Entertainment team Mini Club (4 - 12 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Nudist area on the beach Bahia 'au Naturel' (over 18s only) The hotel has a nudist bathing area apart from the other areas ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Hotel
- Grand Bahia Jamaica
- Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica Runaway Bay