“Incredible Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

You added Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Salt Coopers. Runaway Bay. Jamaica | Salt Coopers, Runaway Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Grande Prairie, Canada
“Incredible Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Spent a wonderful week at this hotel, October 9-16, and I don't think I have anything bad to say. Food in the buffet was great, almost too much choice. We ate at 4 of the 5 restaurants (skipped Picasso) and had a great experience at each one. Really good food, and lots of it. All of the staff at this hotel are incredibly friendly. I read other reviews regarding lack of towels in the room, we didn't have that problem whatsoever. However, on the 3rd day we made a point to find out who our regular housekeeper was and gave her a tip before leaving instead of waiting until the last day. Apparently they only get 1 day off so if you just leave one tip it may not go to the girl that cleans your room all week. But we never had to worry about towel, beer or champagne shortage in our room for the remainder of the stay. Also, we booked through Air Canada Vacations which entitled us to 2 blue beach towels, bath robe and slippers at no extra charge. The ACV rep at the hotel was awesome, and so informative. All of the cleaning staff we encountered in the hallways were so friendly, the hotel really is very clean. Another reviewer commented on the mouldy smell but it was reminiscent of the time I spent travelling in the south pacific. That musty, 'moisture in the room ocean smell' that you don't get on the Canadian prairies.

I also want to give a shout out to Rohan and the rest of the entertainment crew. These guys and gals always seem to be so energetic whether it's getting the water sports going, or the karaoke or the dance floor at the disco. They seem to be 'on' from morning until night, and are each as entertaining as the activities they coordinate. I hope the hotel realizes what a great asset these guys are.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. Daily we would see maintenance guys walking around with paint brushes doing touch ups on the curbs, railings, etc. It seemed there was always cleaning going on somewhere. The nightly entertainment shows were alright, mostly it was a place to sit and have a few drinks, not so much being there for the show itself.

This was my first all inclusive experience, and I suppose if I had to complain about anything it would be the bar fridge in our room wasn't super cold and there's no convenient ice machines. However, it was plus 30 temperatures and who wants to stay in the room drinking anyways?? Oh, and our pillows were a little more flat than I'm used to but I kept forgetting to ask our housekeeper for a couple more so it obviously wasn't that big of a concern. Another couple we traveled with requested additional bedding and received it promptly. I will be returning to Jamaica and would love to go back to this resort if I return to the same area.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 21000 block, a bit of a trek from the beach and pueblo. But a little exercise on va...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IselS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

We highly appreciate your kind review. Thank you for informing us that you have had an incredible time with us, and you have been fascinated by the food variety at the buffet and a la carte restaurants, the well kept grounds, the cleanliness of the property, the entertainment and overall the friendly staff.

Thank you for telling us that you have decided returning to our hotel; we will be more than happy to welcome you again on your next vacation.

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,801)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Travelled as a couple to go to a friends wedding and we stayed for a 7 nights.

The resort was quite large. We had a junior seaview suite on the side overlooking the Exclusive pool. The rooms were nice and they were large, with a nice little sitting area and a large washroom. The king size bed was reasonably comfortable, and the linens were well used but clean. The washroom had a Jacuzzi tub which we never used and a shower stall. It appeared cleaned but it was hard to tell because the tiles are dark and patterned hide stains and dirt well. The room was very sound proof. The air condition vent needed a cleaning as the room smelled musty. It was hard to decide whether to keep the door open and let in the fresh air or put up with the smell. I also smelled cigarette smoke coming in the vent at some point. Hopefully you won't spend too much time in the room, but I had a bit of a hangover a few days and needed the extra sleep! Anyways all in all the room was nice and the mini fridge was stocked daily with fresh beer and water!

The resort had its glitches and felt a little bit controlled. Some complaints are that you are supposed to book the snorkel gear 24hrs in advance - which I only heard about after going down to the snorkel hut and read the sign. They also want a $50 USD deposit on each set of snorkel gear, which was problematic as I didn't bring that much cash to an all-inclusive!

The buffet times were sometimes awkward .Breakfast ended promptly at 1030 and then you had no close by food option until lunch at 1230 at the main buffet. I think the seaside buffet had food starting earlier but it was very far from my room so I didn't bother to check until lunch. Once lunch ended at 3, you were out of luck until dinner at 630. The American style snack bar was pretty brutal. It was open all night but only had processed hamburgers sitting in tinfoil.

The food itself was really good! The ocean snack bar had really delicious Jerk Chicken. Try all of the hot jerk sauces, but I warn you they are hot! They tasted great, but my stomach payed later because I used too much hot sauce! All of the Buffet's had really good food and great choices. We only did the Don Pablo a-la-carte, which was really tasty, and was a nice evening. I recommend doing at least one sit down meal. It is hard to plan meals out and make reservations so far in advance on vacation, and what ends up happening is that when you go to make a reservation, options are limited. but if you look in the dining rooms, they are not close to full because so many people miss their times!

The beach was not the sandiest or private beach that I've been too. It is actually quite small and rocky for the most part and you're likely to have someone sitting very close to you. The beach bars are cool, and convenient. It really isn't the best resort to go to for beach time. On the upside, the snorkeling is really good! There are a lot of reefs, and the colourful ocean sea-life is abundant! But watch out for the urchins!

Nightlife was really good! The shows were cool, the singers were good, the disco was lively, and the karaoke is a real blast! A hidden gem and a must is to go and sit by the pool and listen to the piano man playing. It was romantic, private and a cool little spot to enjoy a drink at night.

One major complaint is how the hotel is constantly trying to market their time share program to you. When you get there they encourage you to sign up for a tour and a time share session for the prestige club. If you do it you get a gift bag full of tourist trap crap. We also received a telemarketing call from the hotel prestige club to our room when we were sleeping to try and tell us we had won a free prize. This was somewhat harassing as I wasn't looking to be telemarketed to in my room. They also knocked once to try and sell us this prestige club time share stuff.

Towels were also constantly running out. The beach towel hut ran out early, so make sure you get up early and get your towels! Our room also constantly had a towel shortage, and they would have to come and knock on your room almost daily to give you towels (the house keepers take them but aren't able to immediately to replace them).

All in all, we had a really good time! The weather was great and it felt like a privilege to be on vacation enjoying the amenities of the resort.

Note: Tipping isn't expected but many staff will encourage it. If you tip for everything you're looking to add an extra $200 on to your trip. Canadians and Americans appear to be big tippers (tipping for every drink), I didn't do this nor did I bring the cash to do so.

Room Tip: Seaview is a must!
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are grateful to know that you had a nice vacation in our hotel and you have enjoyed the beach, pool, comfortable room, Jerk chicken, the buffet and the entertainment.

We are taking good note of the areas that influenced your discomfort and we apologize for any inconvenience you may have had. We will make sure to send your observations to the related departments to take appropriate measures to further avoid these situations.

We thank you for vacationing with us and hope to see you again soon, in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for your summer holidays in Jamaica.

vancouver,bc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at this resort for 9 nights October 4-13 2013. Overall we had a wonderful holiday with the resort meeting our expectations. That being said when we booked this resort based on other reviews we read we lowered what our typically expectations would be - opting to go with the deal and leave us with lots of room for tours in our holiday budget.
We were delightfully amazed by how quickly the check in process went, we were in our room within 15 minutes of arriving at the resort with a busload of others.

rooms: our room was spacious comfortable and clean. There was a pot light dangling from the ceiling in the bathroom, one of the closet doors did not stay shut and the bathtub plug was not functioning. My husband called the front desk and the bath plug was fixed almost immediately the other items never were - this didn't affect our enjoyment of the trip but the lack of concern seemed odd. The housekeeping was only okay often not being completed until after 3in the afternoon(even though we had left our room before 9) and the towel situation was odd often fresh towels would not be delivered until early evening. I suspect they have a shortage of towels, which to my mind could be easily remedied by not doing a complete towel change everyday; we have become accustomed to only putting the towels we want changed into the tub each day no need for a full change most days.

restaurants We were blown away by the buffet: there was almost too much to choose from! Food quality was reasonable - lobster night was amazing as were the breakfast choices. We also took full advantage of the A La Carte options: The Grill, quite enjoyable beef was excellent, not a true a la carte as you served yourself from a buffet for appies and dessert. Picasso - we didn't enjoy this at all. Again not a true a la carte and food was just so so as was the service .Mikado- we were really looking forward to this as it was so well reviewed..the show was fun but seemed awfully like you could see the same thing at the food court in the mall, it tasted like that too. The sushi was okay again nothing special (we may be slightly spoiled being from Vancouver where sushi stores are as plentiful as McDonalds), Don Pabol - definitely the best of the a la cartes some nice touches to make you feel like you were in a fine dining restaurant.

pool and beaches We spent little time at the pool, which is amazing. Preferring instead the glorious beach - no complaints or concerns here at all. Plenty of bars and washrooms.

All in all we had a great trip and enjoyed our resort. Would we return?...if the price was right.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to learn that you had a wonderful holiday with us and we have been able to meet your expectations regarding the check-in, the food quality, beach, bars, and cleanliness of the room. We do apologize for the issues you have found upon arrival; however it is good to learn that it have been resolved in a timely manner, which has allowed the full enjoyment of your time with us.

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your Jamaican vacation. We will be certainly looking forward to your return to provide you with another wonderful vacation.

Yours faithfully,

Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Ok here's our experience, we went there for our honeymoon. I am a nervous traveller and wasn't sure what to expect:
1- Rooms: Ours was ok. It smelled like mould and we were told that they all smell like that. However, it was clean, centrally located (building 17) and everything worked in the room. We did not pay for the safe, and nobody touched our stuff. The housekeeping staff can be annoying, they come in even if you put the do not disturb sign on, because our maid told us she is mandated to clean every room and she had us sign something declining cleaning. Also she knocked at 8am one morning, very annoying.

2- Food: it was much better than anywhere else I've been in the carribean. The jerk chicken buffet on the beach was great, although it gets tiring after a few days when they serve the same food every single day. The evening buffet was usually excellent, the breakfast not so much but its ok. A la cartes- we tried the Garden grill, I'd give it 3/5. The Dolce Vita was disappointing because the service was slow and the food was cold. By far the best was the Tapanyaki at the Japanese restaurant. Lots of food and good entertainment.

3- Entertainment- This was the most disappointing of all the things. It was dreadful.
4- BEACH!! AHHHMAZING!! crystal clear water, great snorkeling and the non-motorized sparts were a blast

5- Service: I feel they could improve. Its not that the service was bad, it just seemed like nobody cared to go that extra mile. We only tipped a select few servers because some of them were bordering on rude. The bartending staff was excellent, especially the swim up bars.

6- Pool: its great, reserve chairs early. The towel service was annoying because they always seemed to be out of towels.

7- excursions- we took the Bob Marley tour, it was disappointing, they basically just tried to sell us drugs all day. We wanted to see more of the Rasta culture, the tour guide was good but he started selling marijuana on the bus, so that kind of killed it for us. I'm a huge Marley fan and I was disappointed at how the trip focused more on selling dope and souveniers than on Marley.

Overall, we really enjoyed ourselves. I would go back in a heartbeat. The Golden and Preferred clubs did not seem worth the money, I am glad we didn't buy into it, there weren't really many perks. The tap water is drinkable which is a plus, and its a beautiful country for sightseeing.

Room Tip: the 16-17-18 blocks are centrally located, not too far from everything.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review. We very much appreciate your words about the quality and variety of our food options, and for letting us know that you have considered ours as the best food you have experienced so far in the Caribbean. We also value all the aspects you highlighted as the beach, cleanliness, and pools.

However, allow us to inform our guests that the excursions are coordinated by the tour-operators and we can’t take liability on the specific issues you have brought to our attention. Nevertheless, we are taking good note of your observations on the aspects of our performance that you found must be improved, and will make sure to inform the persons in charge of these areas, so that they can take it into consideration.

It is rewarding to learn that you would return to us in a heart bit; we will be more than happy to host you again on upcoming trips to Jamaica.

market deeping
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Anyone who says this hotel is not 5 star has obviously lived a better life than me, as this place is fantastic, has everything you could expect from a 5 star hotel. Great staff really friendly and genuine, lovely clean sandy beach great for kids as fairly shallow close to shore. Nice pool area plenty of sun beds round pool and on beach, there was the odd local selling plants on the beach but they were no bother, they must have been really good value as everyone who bought them seamed very happy afterwards and could not stop laughing.

Very popular wedding venue as seamed to be wedding every day never heard any problems with them.
Rooms were spotless, clean towels and cleaned every day nice balcony all with sea view, did not use safe but be carefully as your roof key can open other rooms as some friends of ours found out when some guy walked into there room during the night by mistake.

Most nights there is a show on for a couple of hours and they were really good quality and entertaining, and if you want to make a fool of yourself you can do your own bit of entertaining and get up on the stage like I did and somehow won a bag of local coffee for my Michael Jackson dance.

Lots of different restaurants to use but we preferred the main one as more food choices, nice to bring a few extra dollars with you for tipping as the guys who work there do so with very low pay and are on a 3 month contract only, then they have to apply again for there jobs, and we think we have it hard in this country.

So if you are thinking of coming here get your lap tops out and book it you will not regret it.

Doug and Val

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IselS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We have the commitment to provide quality service beyond of our guest’s expectations and it is a real pleasure for us learning that we have achieved this goal with you. Thank you for letting us know your satisfaction regarding the accommodating staff, pool, room cleanliness and view and the beach location, which you have considered is an ideal place for the kids.

We also have noted your observation; thank you for your collaboration. Your comments have been already forwarded to the persons in charge, to avoid it from recurrence.

Thank you for choosing our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Jamaica. We hope to see you soon.

Markham, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have just returned from our first family vacation in Jamaica. We have 2 kids. 2 and 4 years old. The resort was full of friendly, nice people. Rooms were nice, food was good, beach was nice.
It was no more or less than I expected. If anything I was pleasantly surprised! Don't let the October forecast scare you. It was beautiful, HOT and sunny most of the time. We only had two times that it rained during the day, it mostly rained at night.
The beach is quite a long walk, but you need the exercise after all the food and booze!
I would reccommed this resort to families. People who complain are used to a higher quality resort like Sandals. We have been to Sandals, and there is no comparison, but this place is perfect for families.
Great time, can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: select a higher floor and ocean view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lindsay,

We thank you for your kind note regarding your stay with us. It is a pleasure to know that you and your family had a great time with us and that you have appreciated the staff warmth and hospitality, also the consistent good weather enjoying the beach, as well as the room and food variety and quality.

Thank you for your recommendation to other potential guests and for telling us that you will be coming back; we look forward to welcome you again on your upcoming trip to Jamaica.

Yours faithfully,

Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

we just returned from your vacation to the Grand Bahia. I read a lot of the reviews before we left.
First its a beautiful hotel. we asked for a ocean view but they could not accommodate us it was full. I was not disappointed with our room we stayed in 18215 and it was perfect close to everything. My husband has a hard time walking. We were close to the pool, beach, and food.
The rooms are clean. Nice bathrooms, we had problems with our toilet and was fixed right away. Also we tipped the staff which helps. Breakfast is the usual, lunch jerk chicken was the best, the cook is funny and likes to sing, the staff is friendly. For dinner we did make reservation for one restaurant little food but excellent food. At night we would go to the bar or outside bar, if you go to into the bar and ask for Antonio ask for his special drink. The night entertainment was ok we enjoyed it. Would like to say a Hello to Stretch and the girls by the pool area if you want to do excursions it is cheaper then the hotel. Overall the best!!! Also the coffee better then Dunkin Donuts!!!! Miss my Jamaican coffee in the morning.

Room Tip: We pick the standard room it was perfect great location choose 18300_+ you will get ocean view and c...
Dear Guest,

We deeply value your comments and appreciate to learn that, even we were not able to fulfill your request of an ocean view room, the accommodation provided to you and its location have met your total satisfaction as well as the cleanliness, drinks, food variety and quality and our friendly staff; it is rewarding to see that you have left our property happy with our performance.

Thank you for choosing our hotel to stay in Jamaica; it was our pleasure to serve you and we cannot wait to serve you again in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Jamaica.

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!