“The absolute best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Salt Coopers Villa, Runaway Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #5 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
“The absolute best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

All around an amazing experience and a perfect place for a getaway. PLUS, kudos to the staff! It's people like Kamar at the front desk, Timmoy and Evard from the bar, George and Marvin at the restaurant, Latoya from housekeeping, and ainslay and the young lady with the entertainment group, that have you planning your next trip before you even leave the resort. Keep doing what you're doing and I look forward to visiting again soon!

• Stayed September 2013
Customer Servic... B, directora de calidad at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all our gratitude for appreciating the professionalism and friendless of our Staff, especially Kamar at the front desk, Timmoy and Evard from the bar, George and Marvin at the restaurant, Latoya from housekeeping, we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal, the continues improvement of our services.

We will be more than happy to host you again next year and any other time to our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica your home here in Jamaica. Thank you for recognizing our effort and hard work as the best place to enjoy your vacations.

6,039 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,562)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

On our arrival at the Bahia we were given our keycard and sent on our way only to find the card did not work , after a quick call from the bellboy to an electrician we were in. Our room on the fourth floor was large and had everything you could need including a great balcony with views of the pool and the sea. It was cleaned daily and the mini bar restocked as well. We had no issues with any staff in fact my wife commented to the buffet manager how friendly his staff were. Food in the buffet was good and plentiful , drinks were always offered ( and accepted ) whenever we were in. The a la cartes were unusual as the starters were in the buffet format and the main meal as normal. They were all very good with the Japanese being the best. The snack bar has jerk chicken at lunch time , there was also a band there a couple of days , brilliant.
I can't comment on the main night entertainment as we never attended but the singers and musicians on the terrace seemed to be enjoyed by all.
Again can't comment on the pool entertainment as we preferred the quieter/ kids area . Beds were never a problem in fact we had the same beds for the whole two weeks , maybe because the hotel was not full.
The bar just off from the reception was air conditioned and great to sit in when connecting to wifi.
The grounds were kept immaculate with staff working and cleaning all the time.
You may have noticed a recurring theme in my review I can honestly say that in our party of four adults we had no complaints whatsoever.

Ewan Margaret Laura and Mary were at the Bahia from Aug 29 till Sept 12 and were in a standard room on a basic package.

PS take the Zion bus tour to see where Bob Marley lived. Fascinating.

Room Tip: Best views fron higher level rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, directora de calidad at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all wish you had a great trip back home. We greatly appreciate your time to express
your reviews about us, especially your comments about the kindness of our buffet staff.The guest’s feedback helps us to improve our service so we are very happy to know we have achieved your full satisfaction.

Looking forward to host you in the near future,

Chessington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I got married at the Grand Bahia Resort Runaway Bay in August of this year. This was our second visit to this resort and my wife and children adored the place. On this visit I invited several other guest along simply because I trust the staff to deliver.

I booked our vacation through Virgin Holidays and flown from Gatwick on the 14 August 2013. The in flight services were good, all be it that the crew was rude, unfriendly and impolite. On arrival in Jamaica we went through the check out in Mobay (Montego Bay) with no problems whatsoever. We were then transported to the resort by mini bus, which is about an hour to 90 minutes drive from the airport. The scenery was beautiful and our Virgin travel rep was Jolene (name may be spelt incorrectly). She was polite, friendly and entertaining. For the next three weeks Jolene would take care of us and would pay regular visits to the resort to make sure things were running smoothly.

We arrived at the hotel where the staff were friendly and very efficient, checking in was quick and really simply. We were allocated room numbers 14209 and 14210 respectively. These are the honeymoon suites and YES I was impressed. These particular rooms overlooks a lovely lush green beautiful garden with various shapes and patterns (please refer to my photographs).

ROOMS – Were very clean and spacious, no broken or damaged furniture’s everything worked as they should, and the views were amazing.

MAIDS - our maid and helpful and worked to the highest quality I don't know her name but she was fantastic, helpful and very kind. Our rooms were always nicely done and each day she would make some amazing art decoration on the beds.

STAFF- I can honestly say the all the staffs with the exception of one staff member, everyone else was really helpful and polite. Each and every one of these staffs was kind and helpful and they all went the extra mile to accommodate individual needs. It was a pleasure to see people taking so much pride inside their jobs. I certainly don't love my job that much but I have some a thing or two from these guys. This resort is staffed by security and you will see them walking around in their red polo tops and black combat trousers. There guys are approachable and they are very friendly and quick to help.

SHANA KAY

In saying that I had the worst customer service imaginable from one of the girls working inside the main buffet restaurant. I think her name is Shanna Kay but I cannot be sure. She was rude and abrupt and had no respect. I don't normally complain but I had to consult a manager after the third day of the same poor customer service. This female is a morning staff that works at the rear of the restaurant to the right of the rear entrance door.

FOOD and DRINKS

There was plenty of food and drinks to suit almost any taste. The food was fantastic and most of the chefs were friendly and polite. I got on particularly well with the guys at the Jamaican restaurants who were some of the friendless and most hospitable of all the staffs.

NIGHT LIFE

The nigh life at this resort is very good and entertaining. The nightclub is definitely a thumbs up for me and my guest. Entertainment by the pool was always good and seems to have attracted some good crowds. There is a kids clubs at the resort and again the staffs there are very very good with the children.

OUTSIDE THE RESORT

Runaway Bay main shopping area is about a mile away from the resort. I walked to the shops on a regular basis taking all my guest and children. I am Jamaican having lived on the Island for several years; I still speak the language and know the do's and don'ts. I don't know what sort of experience you will have going out the complex but I feel much safer in Jamaica than I do in Rome or London. To see the real Jamaica you will have to leave the complex and go outside and explore. Don't go wonder off with strangers now be sensible.

WEDDING.

My wedding was one of the best days of my life. I was quite worried because all the planning and preparation were being taken care of by the wedding department. We were concerned that things would not come together as we had hope. Well to put it simple we were wrong. What the wedding department did was simply amazing, we had the best wedding imaginable and we were over the moon. The only negative from our wedding is that we were quite disappointed with the main dinner. Again our entire guest seems to have enjoyed their meal and they were happy.

NURSE- I was unfortunate that my younger son of 6 became quite ill with fever during our visit to Jamaica. I happened to take him to the nurse but I was so disgusted with the service that I just walked out. The following day things took a turn for the worst and again I paid another visit to the doctor. The same nurse eventually saw me and I requested to see the doctor. I explain the problem that my son left eye had become quite swollen and that he was suffering with flu like symptoms. After deliberating between themselves the doctors decided that he would take a urine sample. When the results from the urine sample came back I heard them doctor discussing a lack of vitamin C. I try to discuss it with the doctor and nurse but I wasn’t given much information to assist. Following the urine sample the doctor advised me that I should take my son to the hospital to have a blood sample taken, she recommended Montego Bay General Hospital or another private unit that works in conjunction with the hospital. I questioned this, as I wanted to know the necessity of this and to know what exactly I was paying the doctor over 200 USD for. To cut a long story short the doctor and the nurse wanted to get as much money out of us as possible. If it weren’t for me questioning their actions I would have ended with a bill for over 2000 USD when all my son need was some antibiotics. I was very disappointed with the service and would advise you to watch these lots very carefully. Its no so much the doctor, she is actually ok, the nurse is the one to watch.

The Spanish nurse was rude, unsympathetic and unhelpful. She is motivated by money and is not willing to help unless you are willing to pay for the services of the doctor. In the end my bill was 295 USD and my son felt better after 4 days.

CONCLUSION

This is simply one of the best resorts on the Island. Don't let anyone discourage you, go and enjoy it and see for yourself. We have being to this resort twice, spending three weeks on each occasion. I wanted to go and try another resorts but I love this one. It’s magical, beautiful, romantic and relaxing all at the same time. Go on and enjoy Jamaica.

If you happened to book a Taxi at the hotel just asked to have Eion he is the best taxi driver on the rank.

PRIVILEGE CLUB- Avoid at all cost. These are a bunch of money hunger individuals that are not even part of the resort. It is beyond me why are allowed to kill the reputation of a great resort.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the pool are generally much better. Try and get a room starting with 23 or 24.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

The pleasure is always for us to host you again at our Resort always your home in Jamaica.

However we are very concerned about the situation described in your review regarding the nurse and doctor assistance, however this service does not belongs to our company. It belongs to an external company with their own prices policy, however we can rest assure that we will address your comments to the appropriate Managers from this company to let them know about this issue.

We sincerely hope that this situation does not tarnish your perception of our resort and you will give us the pleasure again to host you by the third time at our resort.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I have just spent 2 weeks at this hotel from the 28th Aug-11 September 2013. Once again I travel to many destinations around the globe and I don't waste time with silly things that can put people off booking a holiday! this was mentioned by many British people at the resort and they are glad they came.

The first choice rep was Godfrey Kelly who was wonderful and really helpful I would say travel with Thompson/First Choice do not go with Thomas Cook everyone we spoke to had problems! We upgraded to Club Premium both ways as it was discounted that extra legroom free drinks and choice of food made it nice and was comfortable but try to get a two seat together if going as a couple. The planes seem slightly old we was told they will going soon as the new Dreamliner starts to come in. I have to say a good flight and no Delays both ways.

I booked a private taxi from airport through Thompson which was smooth. I arrived at the hotel with a warm greeting from the Golden Club. I had room 23500 which was lovely clean spotless and comfortable throughout my stay not to mention the wonderful views. The cleaner Jackie was brill clean towels sheets mini bar stocked no problem. The night maids were great as well nothing too much trouble even if you wanted a fresh towel. The pool area was spotless and no problem getting a bed plenty of room to move about so you are not all on top of each other. The swim up bars get busy but name me one that doesn't, The drinks were fine plastic cups but you can take a big cup with you good music and very jolly, to be honest couldn't fault it. I was even surprised my niece and her partner when they turned up in Jamaica on the second week of my holiday they are still there and from the messages I am getting they love it as well no complaints. The food well lets get it out of the way it will be the same on the second week but I can say if you can not find a different meal every night then I would love to know what people eat at home LOL! I could not fault the food was not ill had a great service on the tables in the middle from Marcia. These are the theme nights Jamaican night (Wow it was good) Portugal, Canadian, Italian, Mexican, Japanese, Vegetarian food the lunch was good especially the fruit try Jack Fruit and Sour sap. The lobster, Jerk, Pasta I could go on , Breakfast well you have the choice for some of us it was a pleasure to sit down and all have breakfast together barley get to work on a slice of toast in London so enjoy it no problems. The al la carte restaurants we did was the Grill recommend the Rib eye . The Don Pablo was lovely we had the Chateau Briand, The Japanese was also nice, did not bother with Italian as the chef does this every night in buffet which was lovely. To be honest you will find you are pretty full at times and skip a few especially as the nights are nice for dining. The terrace on the hotel has a bar and nightly entertainment steel band, piano and singer. The air conditioned bar is nice especially when you have a humid night. If you wish to see the shows make your way over to the village area where you will find shops and the sports bar. The beach area has a man made beach where you can snokel and see the fish also you have the main beach which is a cross between white sand and shingle it was lovely we had a great time especially good to top up that tan with the sea breeze. The water is calm and you can get drinks on the beach (also good to see lifeguards at the pool and beach), when hungry you can make your way to the beach restaurant where you can try the jerk chicken and many other things to eat. I always found the staff friendly but we always have a laugh with everyone, I did not get asked for tips at any time I actually gave a tip to the cleaner and a waitress at the end of the holiday and a man carrying the cases what's a couple of dollars when you have had a good service also the driver on a trip. I was always asked if things were ok did I need anything no issues really. I must mention the following staff as promised: Diane Lewis one of the deputy managers of the hotelwho kept in touch with me via email to answer any of my enquires, Jerome Danhi security on the landings and Dawnell Mills who kindly came in and swept the balcony when some forest fire dust blew on to area where we sat. Philip Bartender (Arsenal Fan) Jackie Cleaner Therjiwe McKenzie and Shakeisha London Night Maids Cassanova in the Golden Club excellent customer service.

Important Note I was told about this before I left: Do not bother with the reps who ask you to collect a free prize they stand here everyday round the corner from reception and are basically timeshare just walk by give a polite no thanks.

I did 3 trips : Cool Running, Negril/Ricks Café and a trip to Ochio Rios shopping
I recommend taking us Dollars rate was 155 in Ochio. In the hotel you can pay for things in dollars and get Jamaican dollars back.

They do not change English to dollars in the hotel.

Finally going home the airport was really nice and lots of lovely gifts from coffee to cake t shirts. The Duty free in the airport (takes engilsh money) going home is really cheap i.e bottle of Jim bean £8 Makers Mark £19.00 litre bottle of coco Mademoiselle 100ml £52.00. Tobacco cheap and also some nice gift box aftershave and perfume sets. My favourite was the Havaianas shop brought two pairs for £30.00 .

Well enjoy if you go you won't be disappointed! Yeah Mon!

Room Tip: Rooms higher give great views I like the ones away from dining area and night entertainment pool vie...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your great comments about our hotel. We are glad you have fully enjoyed our services and that we have met all your expectations.

We hope to have you back in the near future in our Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica and send you an affectionate greeting from all our Staff

Yours faithfully,

Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We have visited Gran Bahia in Jamaica in 2007 for our honeymoon - were so impressed we went back last year October 2012 and we are going BACK this October 2013 & we are so excited. The staff has always been amazing - the food has always been great and the whole vacation both times have been a BLAST! We love the energy of the pool bar and the relaxing we get to do on the beach. We were actually there last year during Sandy -- and still had an amazing time!! The staff did a great job keeping us busy and keeping the drinks FLOWING!! This resort is worth a visit 1, 2 & 3 times. Our rooms were always well stocked and super clean! I can't say enough good about this place -- i would not be going for the 3rd time if we were not totally impressed and satisfied!! Good Job Gran Bahia!! We are huge fans!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, directora de calidad at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear guest,

We hope to have you back very soon for your third visit to our Resort and we would like to send you an affectionate greeting from all our Staff

Yours faithfully,

Kingston, Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Staying at this resort was wonderful.... Real value for money. My wife and I didn't expect much but we were pleasantly surprised by the staff... They are well trained, especially the ones at the restaurants. When they say "yeh man no problem ill take care of you"... Best believe they will.

Room Tip: Sea view from the 6th floor of the main building
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

your reviews about us.It was very pleasant to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that we were able to provide you a delightful stay. The guest’s feedback helps us to improve our service so we are very happy to know we have achieved your full satisfaction.

We truly thank you for taking the time to share your positive experiences and hope that when returning to Jamaica, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again at our resort.

Looking forward to host you in the near future,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Upon first arrival there was some minor issues. We had an amazing room 21601. The after that in went down hill. Have to pay for a safe, elevator never working. Just issue after issue with service. My friends we robbed and the resort laughed and blamed them. Everyone requesting tips even for telling you where the washroom was. I will never return to this resort.

• Stayed September 2013
Customer Servic... B, directora de calidad at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear guest,

Receive very cordial greetings from Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica.

We would like to extend our gratitude for taking the time to post your opinion regarding your recent stay and to let us know that you were satisfied with your room.However, we want to inform you that we sincerely regret the situation that you report us.

In this regard, we would like to acknowledge that we have very strict control of all issues reported and regarding this particular case, we can ensure that all the security protocols established by the chain were strictly followed. In addition, please kindly note that we allocate all our effort and measures at your disposal to take extra security measures and avoid such situations.
Of course, we would like to add that we are at our guest’s disposal any time to provide them the necessary assistance to denounce situations or cases as you mention to the relevant authorities of this country.

For total peace of mind of our guests, we recommend at arrival the rental of safe boxes available in all rooms to deposit their valuables.

Once again we would like to thank you for your recommendations and your opinion that of course they will be taken into consideration and corrective measures they will be also taken to avoid such a situations in the near future.

Best wishes,

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!