“An Honest review.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Salt Coopers Villa | Runaway Bay, Runaway Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #5 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
“An Honest review.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I would just like to quickly point out the positive and negative things about this resort & airport. First, when we landed the shuttle company wanted $50.00 Per Person to get us to the hotel. A Taxi rate was $100! It is a 70km ride which is about 43 Miles. We found these rates to be very expensive and negotiated down a rate on a shuttle to $35.00 for both of us, (but it wasn't easy). The transport companies are expert sales staff and are designed to get as much money from you as possible at every corner. Truly feel sorry for anyone who paid full retail at $100 for a taxi or $50 a person for the shuttle. Further more, Upon arrival at the hotel we were impressed with the over all decor and the keeping of the grounds. Our room was very nice although I thought that since its 2013 the TV could have been a flat screen LCD instead of a regular tube TV. The bar drinks are subpar to say the least. Only a handful of bar-staff are trained well enough to be considered professional bartenders. The hotel lobby and grounds are clean and neat. One thing that Bahia Principe management need to look at is upgrading all the furniture. The Wicker furniture throughout the hotel is very dated & makes the hotel feel old. Don't feel disturbed when you are offered some sort of illegal substance. It seems as though its the norm there, not that its a bad thing. The pools are Fantastic! Very clean and well kept as-well. So on to the entertainment! On a positive note the entertainment staff themselves are not bad at all, Its just that all of the lighting and sound system setup are very basic, which made the show seem boring and very bland. The Nightclub DJ played good music but again, the lighting and sound system needs some serious investment. Now, on to a more serious point, we both agreed that the hotel staff were a bit rude at some points. We have been to several countries in the Caribbean and everywhere else the staff ALWAYS smiled and greeted you no matter what time of day or night. Sometimes the staff here would walk by you and ignore you or when we would ask for assistance , some staff would make it seem like we were asking for a huge favor when in fact it was a simple request. The room cleaning staff were fantastic! Every day the room was made up and cleaned. A large part about what made our choice The Grand Bahia, was the Nude beach. We visited the nude beach every day since my girlfriend prefers no tan lines. (Photos of the nude beach area are attached). The beach itself is very rocky. It is very difficult to get in and out of the water due to the sharp rocks. We kept wondering why sand is not brought in and the rocks are not cleaned up. It would make the nude beach area much more appealing. On to the Food. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give the Food rating a 7. When you get to the hotel you can book your restaurants. We were told that we could only book 2 restaurants since we were only there for 5 days. You cannot book a restaurant every day that you stay there. Also the rep who books the restaurants made it seem like as if the restaurants are fully booked up and very difficult to make a reservation in. Picaso was our favorite restaurant. When we visited it, the place was clearly only halfway filled and plenty of tables were open. A word of advise for future visitors. Do NOT, I repeat do NOT be fooled into going to the Privilege Breakfast. They will take you to completely a different side of the property and try to sell you on a Timeshare/Vacation Packages. You will spend about 2 hours there only to get a Free T-Shirt and then go back to the buffet for a "Privilege breakfast" which is no different then the normal breakfast. Lastly, we did not make reservations on the last day to go back to the airport since they wanted $100 for a taxi. We ended up negotiating a rate of $40 with a local shuttle bus driver that was stopping by that morning. If you are set on getting a taxi leave the resort and walk to the road where you will see local taxi's lined up to take you anywhere for about 50% off the tourist price. Just make sure to negotiate for your transportation! This place really has some great potential! The reggae band and Jazz band that played in the lobby at night were Fantastic! I truly do think that with a bit of investment and staff change it could really be a 5 Star Resort. Until then its a 3.5 star, on a good day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, directora de calidad at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear guest,

We very appreciate your positive remarks and your time to post your opinion in Trip Advisor. Of course thank you so much for your recommendations and suggestions made to our services and facilities and make sure that they will be taken very serious into consideration.

We sincerely hope that those issues do not tarnish your perception of us and you could give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

5,613 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,408)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This is a luxury holiday, we visited this hotel for a 2week stay the end of June this year, on arrival we were upgraded to the golden club and had a very smooth check in, the room was very nice on the 5th floor, facing the sea. The restaurants were very nice although you do have to book in advance since they get fully booked fast. Godfrey was a top class rep for first choice, nothing was ever any trouble for him. If you like strong rum the bar staff certainly do not scrimp on the alcohol intake into drinks. The maids work exceptually hard in the hotel, and so do the Maintence staff, this hotel was constantly being cleaned. The entertainment staff were very energetic and involved people of all ages during the day around the pool. Excellent hotel would recommend

• Stayed June 2013
Dear guest,

Certainly your satisfaction is our best award. We are very happy to learn that once again we achieved our goal.

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know and sharing your experience with our reviewers on Trip Advisor and we hope to see you very soon in our Resort.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed at the Gran Bahia in Jamaica September 5th through the 9th 2013. My initial thought upon arrival was the resort is breath taking...right out of a postcard. I wasn't too impressed with the professionalism of the front desk upon arrival/ check in though as they did not tell me one single thing. Just handed me my room card & left me to fend for myself. They do give you a map but it would be nice if they went over anything with me! I absolutely loved the buffet...great selection! I would have been content to eat there for all of my meals. The Grill was absolutely horrible. The Hibachi place was alright. I am from the NY area so we have the best of everything...maybe I'm hard to please. But if you're really hungry avoid the hibachi...the portions are the smallest I've ever seen in any hibachi place.

Pool was terrific & clean & unlike previous posters I thoroughly enjoyed the reggae music because I have a pulse & was not looking to spend my vacation in a mortuary.

Room was beautiful as well & the view just beautiful.

Side note: avoid the annoying women stationed all over the resort trying to get you to "have breakfast" with them the following day. They are trying to sell some sort of book through the hotel package thing that is expensive & you have to have a credit card. They are obnoxious too...called & woke me up the first morning I was there.

Also the place is huge. You really have to walk far & get out there & explore. There is an entire shopping/ disco/ entertainment area you wouldn't even know is there off to the side, hidden. Theres also a beach buffet I didn't realize was there until 2 days in.

Most definitely a couples resort.

Other than that the staff was very friendly & accommodating!

And if you can, leave the resort...get out & see Jamaica....thers so much more to see than whats in the confines of the resort!

Room Tip: tower 13 is where its at!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your recommendation regarding our Front Desk that of course it will be taken into consideration to improve our service. And also we are very happy to learn that you enjoyed our buffet, our swimming pool with reggae ambient music and our rooms.

Thank you again for your time to post this review and for vacationing with us. Looking forward to welcome you again very soon..

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Bahia, but I have a complaint and I am getting frustrated. On Sept 8th I went to go home and the bellhop came for my bag by the entrance. For whatever reason, my bag was not placed on the transfer bus and by the time I got to the airport it was too late. The Bahia was not answering their phone and eventually it was too late to rush it in a taxi to me and I had to leave my stuff behind.

Now the Bahia is telling me I am 100% responsible for the cost of shipping the bag to me in Canada. I am frustrated because I didn't even get an apology for their employee's negligence! Plus, I feel it is good customer service to help a customer out in some way with such a terrible experience and all I got from the Bahia was "sorry for the inconvenience, please send a courier"- like I had left a charger behind and not my ENTIRE bag of clothing, toiletries, and souvenirs.

I accept responsibility for not double checking my bag made it on the bus, but I just don't feel like the Bahia really cares at all about such a major vacation-ruining expense.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 12, which was close to the lobby, pool, and food- we liked the convenience sin...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mrs. Elliot

With great regret we have learned through your comment on trip advisor that you are not satisfied with all the efforts from our Resort and especially from our colleague Mrs. Lewis who is doing her best to send your forgotten luggage home .
As Ms. Lewis has informed you on her last communication we are waiting for your instructions to send your belongings as soon as possible.

For complete peace of mind, we advise all our guests to check their luggage and ensure that this is placed in the interior of the bus before leaving.

We hope that this situation does not tarnish your perception of Bahia Principe Chain and you could give us the opportunity to host you again in our Hotels.

Northwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

To keep it brief, we expected a quiet relaxing Caribbean holiday and it just wasn't! The hotel was lovely but huge and therefore the buffet restaurant was absolutely hectic which made us try and figure out quieter times to go but also the food was disappointing. The sandy beach was lovely, but beach bar was always playing loud reggae, dance music. The other beach was stony with cigarette stumps scattered over it so not cleaned properly on a daily basis. We didn't use the pool because the dj's at the towel point were doing their thing and the noise coming out of the speakers was ridiculous resulting in a pool similar to that in Ibiza!
The bedroom and cleanliness of those and the hotel was too notch. 2 out of the 5 al a carte restaurants were lovely (Spanish and gourmet) others were disappointing and as it is something to look forward to, we were gutted!
Evening entertainment and bars were great. Excursions were ridiculously expensive including the water sport centre on site. We hired a car and other than Ricks Cafe in Negril and the Blue Lagoon near Port Antonio whih were lovely, hiring a car was a waste of time and money as Jamaica is run down.
We wouldn't go back but glad we tried it. The hotel needs to control it's younger staff who are ruining the pool and beach!!

• Stayed August 2013
Customer Servic... B, directora de calidad at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your opinion with us and we really appreciate for bringing to us your point of view . It is trough communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance. Of course, we will put our most interest into your comments and we will taken good note of them.

We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed at this resort for a week in June. Everything was amazing. Nothing to complain about, the people are friendly, the resort is clean, food was absolutely delicious, especially the Jerk chicken! We went out into the city as well to shop and eat patties. I would recommend going shopping to the straw market as opposed to the Taj mall, because you will find more unique items at the market - mostly hand made, hand painted items etc. I would definitely go back to this resort over and over again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

It is always a delight to learn you have had a pleasant vacation at our resort. We especially appreciate your words about the hospitality and warmth of our staff.

We thank you for sharing your remarks with us; we are already looking forward to see you again at our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica always your home in Jamaica.

Yours faithfully,

hampshire, uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just got back from 2 weeks at the Gran Bahia, Jamaica, where we had our wedding. Can't find fault at all. Wedding planners were great, and the day was exactly what we wanted, (thank you all). Hotel, food, facilities and entertainment were all excellent. Everywhere you looked there were cleaners keeping it spotless. Snorkelling around the beach area was great. The a la carte restaurants were all superb, but the buffet was just as good, lots of choices. Recommend that you go to Mystic Mountain, we had a fantastic day.

Room Tip: We had room 11505, perfect location overlooking the wedding gazebo on the beach.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for your heartwarming review. Your remarks about the excellent quality of our Hotel services, gastronomy , entertainment, cleaning , friendly and accommodating staff and of course, your wedding.Your opinion about our hotel can be very helpful for other potential travelers.

On behalf of our management and staff, thank you for vacationing with us; we look forward to host you and provide you once again with a wonderful vacation.

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!