“Great holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Salt Coopers Villa, Runaway Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #5 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
Ontario
“Great holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Here is what you need to know:

Travel Time = 1 hour (no washrooms on bus) Will stop for beer and a washroom break.

Food = Excellent. Jerk chicken everyday was the best!! Buffet choices were excellent and you won't go hungry. Restaurants were above average for food quality.

Beach = Probably the only shortfall here. Does not compare to Cozumel or Mayan Riviera. For sun though, its all the same.

Bartenders/Waiters/Waitresses = Excellent. A tip goes a long way.

Tour Operator = Air Canada. We had a great room over looking the pool area in the 28 Block. I heard someone say that air canada rooms are the best locations in the resort. Not sure if that is true or not but we were pleased. Clean and maid service was excellent. We did tip everyday.

Entertainment - Might want to invest in a better sound system as we were inside for the Michael Jackson show and couldn't understand a word. They also have a square on the resort where there are some shops and a sports bar which was a nice touch.

Would return again as we did have a great time. I wouldn't pay attention to the bad reviews as those travelers won't be happy anywhere and like to complain. It is a big resort so you will do a fair bit of walking so just be prepared.

Room Tip: 28 Block is right near the beach and beach bar.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate your feedback. Our goal is to achieve maximum satisfaction of all our guests. We are happy to see that we have achieved this time with you. We look forward to welcome you back to our Resort.

Best regards,

6,020 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,555)
  • Polish first
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the GBP from Dec 22 – Dec 29, 2012. We are in our late 40’s and needed a real break from work, winter and responsibilities – we got exactly that with GBP and Air Canada Vacations (ACV) - it actually exceeded our expectations! We are completely happy with our trip and value for our money. The review is detailed since I found that helpful from other reviewers when I was researching the hotel.

ARRIVING: We flew ACV and found everything well taken care of - arrived in Montego Bay around 5:30pm, customs was quick, and an ACV rep was there to direct us to the bus. We waited about 20 min for everyone to board, but meanwhile the rep did the check in and we had our keys and a map of the resort in hand before we arrived at the GBP. We knew to expect an hour drive to the resort since that was clearly stated on the resort website.

ROOM: Thrilled with our room in block 23 on the 5th floor, looking over the quiet end of the pool and the ocean (I understood that ACV has many of their rooms in block 23). Breath-taking view, everything clean and comfortable and exactly as the pictures on the website looked. I attached a picture of our view. Everything but the safe was working upon entry, and when we mentioned this to our ACV rep that was in the main lobby, someone was up to fix it within 30 min. The safe was larger than I anticipated from what some of the reviews suggested, and my ipad would certainly have fit.

We left our balcony door open when were in the room - day and night, but the air conditioner worked fine the few times it was on. Stairways were clean with rails on both sides and we used them exclusively.

There was wonderful quiet music in the early evening from the pool bar by our room - steel guitars, classical guitars - really pretty and non-intrusive. We did not hear any of the late nightlife sounds in our rooms, except for our last night there. However, we just closed the balcony door and that fixed it!

We tipped $5 a day for the housekeeper and she left everything well stocked and clean, with animal art on our bed (which we used to supplement our bath towels a few times). Our tub was clean, the water was hot and the jets worked well. We left a request for our housekeeper to leave more of a specific soft drink we liked, and she continued to do so during our stay.

SERVICE: We lost a room key one day and stopped at the front desk to get a new one and we quickly received a replacement room card and they were both reset so the lost one would no longer work. We wanted to break a large bill for tips and were able to do so quickly at the front desk. The staff members trying to sell time-shares were always present in one area of the lobby, but we just smiled and said “no thanks” and that was it. No hassles. No problems getting help with anything we needed, everyone very friendly and things efficiently taken care.

GROUNDS/BEACH: The grounds were clean and well cared, the staff very friendly, when I approached with questions regarding the trees and one knowledgeable gentleman working on the grounds cracked a young coconut for us to taste the water. The washrooms were cleaned regularly and we saw people all over sweeping, gardening, cleaning/fixing lights and painting to keep it fresh. We chose to tip many of them for the good job they were doing, and they were genuinely appreciative.

We spent our days on the quiet end of the beach, down by the nude beach (yes there is a tree/fence line to provide privacy for those bathers!). I read in reviews about the long walk – but we did not find it so at all! A ten minute walk - and we were coming from the opposite end of the resort. Beautiful scenery, walking along in the soft sand of the beach in the sun, with the brilliant colours… not a problem! Always able to find lounge chairs. I have included a picture of the view from my beach lounger.

We brought our own snorkeling equipment with us, which I would recommend for the freedom and certainty that you always have it when you wanted. This area of the beach was great for snorkeling. There was a nice breeze, and shaded areas if you like (which we did) along with a bar and a bathroom at that end as well. The toilet worked fine - all but one day. I just used the guy’s washroom – neither of them was busy.

The pool area surrounding the resort was very active and lots of laughter – but not what we wanted for this holiday. With the exception of one day, we were able to exchange our blue beach towels down by the pool (out of towels at 4pm) so we just placed our wet towels on our balcony chairs and they were dry for the next day.

FOOD: The ACV had pre-booked our four “a la carte” reservations (one at each of the gourmet restaurants) but we were told we could make changes we wished, provided the restaurants could accommodate our request. My husband was able to make the one sitting time change we wanted, which took only about 20 min to do. The special Christmas Eve Buffet was also a pre-booked meal and we received the location and time we were wanting for that as well. We enjoyed the Japanese, and the Garden Grill décor was nice with great service and food, but our favourite meal was the Dolce Vita where we had a romantic table overlooking the ocean (though it was dark so you couldn’t see a lot, we could hear the waves) with perfect service and excellent meal.

A few mornings, we had breakfast in the smaller buffet restaurant – it did have less selection but everything we wanted was there. The draw of the larger buffet for me, was the outside seating (except the smokers were there too!), and for my husband it was the greater variety of food. We never found the buffet selection boring or too repetitive – always something new to try. I didn’t bother with a few things due to the line-ups, but enjoyed most of what I tried. My husband was more adventurous than I was – and he sampled lots of different types of foods and had no stomach issues with anything. Drink cups were small, but they would give you as many as you liked. Different bars served different drinks, so we found our favorites. I think the house wine must have varied in the restaurants, as it was fine usually but twice it was not very good, so I got something else.

RUNNING/SWIMMING: We got up early and went running off the resort five mornings, each time we were required to sign out and back in for security. The GBP is just on the outskirts of Runaway Bay, and we ran left (into town) twice but preferred going right for the gorgeous scenery. We saw a few other runners as well. Had ice water and hot coffee in the main lobby area overlooking the pool and ocean afterwards - wonderful way to recover! There was also a small selection of pastries most mornings. Two mornings I did a swim workout in the pool when it opened at 8:00 am. I started at the quiet end and went under one of the bridges to the second bridge (there was a dividing wall there, so could go no further). Had a 50 min swim with no one else in the water. Amazing. Did not ever see anyone else doing laps in the pool.

We will be back some day!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear guest,

It was very pleasant to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that we were able to provide you a delightful stay. We hope that when returning to Jamaica, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again at our resort.

Yours sincerely,

Montreal, Canada

Hello Everyone!

Visited The Gran Bahia last year with the children and some friends and decided to return this year with another couple of friends and without the children. Ya mon, some REAL vacations lol. We visited from January 18th to January 25th.

Here is my review which I will try to keep to the point:

First off, I wouldn't rate the hotel as a 5* more a 4*, but it's all good anyways.
Yes, it is true that the building is starting to show wear and some of the furniture in the room is a bit dated (tv) but really? I didn't go on vacation to watch tv or stay in my room, and quite frankly the wear on the building is somewhat expected when the property is right off the ocean front!!

Check in was great: arrived at 11pm, check in done on the bus and staff was still waiting for us in the lobby with a refreshing welcome cocktail.

Room: As stated before, yes the building does show wear but nothing to take away from your stay. Room was very clean upon arrival with bathrobes and beach towels waiting. Had to ask for the slippers and got them the following morning: Ya Mon! Our mini bar was stocked daily with water, soft drinks and beer and some banana chips, no worries here, very efficient service. Our chambermaid, Andrea, was wonderful, filling any request I had. Cleaned the room beautifully and left towel art for us everyday. I do suggest tipping, you would not believe how far a couple of dollars can help them out. We stayed in 18511 which made us very happy as it was right in front of the nicest beach (huge horseshoe cove next to outdoor buffet). Last year we were in building 23 which was more quiet but was quite far to walk to the beach with the little ones. As for bugs, we saw a geico (lizard) on our balcony and a grasshoper in our room. On the last day I did see what I thought to be a cockroach in the hallway leading to our room, but didn't get close enought to actually confirm that is what it was. I any case I never saw any in my room and I went through my luggage upon arrival back home and everything was ok. I understand that cockroaches are more common down south but it is still not fun to see one!

Food: Wow!! I found the food better than last year, more selection and everything I had was the right temperature. The only disappointement for me is that when I go to Jamaica it is to eat the Jamaican food, this is were the Gran Bahia lacks....being a spanish hotel chain, it is very spanish. They lack Jamaicain cuisine. The buffet at the beach did have jerk chicken and pork everyday however. I really don't understand the people who complain about the food, there was enough selection at the buffets that I have a very hard time believing people who complained the food was so bad they didn't eat all week.....Maybe born with silver spoons in their mouths, I don't know. The à la cartes were excellent. We ate at the Japanese restaurant (delicious with a show), Dolce Vita (while not authentic Italian cuisine) I had the lasagna and it was very good and everyone in our party appreciated their meal. We also ate at Don Pablo's, very good. At the Garden Grill, we all opted for the surf and turf.....my mouth is still watering thinking how delicious and fresh the shrimp and steak tasted. It is true, as other reviewers mentionned, the house wine is not good at all. My friends asked for sparkling wine and said that was much better. If not you could always order and pay for a bottle of wine off their wine list.

Entertainment: Found it very boring last year and so did our young children so we just skipped the nightly shows this year. I could hear them from my room and sounded exactly the same as last year so don't think we missed anything.

Excursions: Don't look any further, just book your visits with Kevin Morrisson, email him at Kevintaxiservice@gmail.com. He has great rates and is wonderful! We went out with his employe (Dervin) who was super nice and very knowledgeable about the island and way of life, you certainly won't get this kind of service and information on a big tour bus. We will definately hire them again next year as Dervin already suggested other sites to bring us to. This time around we visited the Bob Marley house (I LOVED, LOVED LOVED IT and got to dance with Benjamin my rastaman guide) then we went for lunch at Scotchies and ended our day at Dunn River Falls (what a rush)!!!!!!!

Hotel Staff: What can I say.....they were all GREAT!!! I really observed that many tourists are sooo rude with the staff (it's embarassing to be a tourist sometimes). I really think that it is the rude tourists who give the staff a bad rap....honestly, my party and I got nothing but RESPECT from eveyone we dealt with but then again you get respect when you respect others. Kinda a no-brainer way of living, no?
Check out Kervan, Devar and Vanessa (lifeguards/beach staff) such a sweet bunch and eager to help out if you need anything. Also Derrick, a local who sells his art, is permitted to come on the beach (near the washrooms and bar) every Wednesday and Friday. Be sure to check out his stuff, gave us really good prices and he has some beautiful items. He is such a sweet and respectful man. Take the time to ask him about life on the island, you will leave informed and appreciating the little things in life.

Beach: Main beach is man-made and very rocky! The one good thing is the snorkelling off this beach right to the left of the wedding gazebo. For a nicer beach, just go to the horseshoe beach next to the outdoor lunch buffet. Sand much softer and no rocks in ocean. Also some good snorkelling right before the nude beach in shallow waters....great for the young kiddies. I must say I love the private beach coves that Jamaica offers, however I could understand how the beach could disappoint those beach lovers who enjoy long walks along the shore....this will not be the case in Jamaica unless you go to the 7mile beach in Negril.

This was our 2nd visit and will not be the last. Next year we are coming back but with the children again.......

One love, One heart, RESPECT.

See you soon!

Cheers!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear guest

First we would like to thank you for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica once again to stay in Jamaica. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and of course we will be more than happy to assist you in your third visit to our Resort. Please do not hesitate to contact us for your next vacation with us.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

We had a great time! Friendly staff, clean resort, the food was delicious and entertainment and shopping was good. Only complaint i have is there was some repairs being done at night and kept us up a little from banging of tools

• Stayed January 2013
Dear guest

First we would like to thank you for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica to stay in Jamaica. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have you back in our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact us to assist you in your next vacation with us.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Just got back from a family wedding at the Grand Bahia, what a fabulous week! The resort is beautiful, well run and clean. I was with a large group that were scattered throughout the resort and no one had a bad thing to say about their rooms.
The buffet was good, different food themes every night (make sure you try the home made donuts). We ate at four a la carte restaurants; Picasso, The Grill, Dolce Vita and Mikado (we chose the “cooking show” option which was quite entertaining). The food was good in all 3. I do recommend that if you like to eat early that you make your 3 or 4 reservations when you first arrive. Two of our dinners were at 9pm which was a bit of a pain given we were traveling with kids.
I recommend booking your excursions with the folks by the pool, Gina was a terrific help and very friendly. We did a group excursion to Dunns River Falls on the catamaran, what a blast. The climb up the falls is amazing (a bit of a workout), the crew of the catamaran were very entertaining and the snorkeling was terrific. We also took a car into Ocho Rios for shopping, Gina arranged a driver and he was great.
There is nightly entertainment at a shopping complex located within the resort, this is also where the partying takes place after the bars close in the hotel (11pm).
The beach was amazing, plenty big enough and the sand was great. All in all it was a fantastic week. If you are on your way there lucky you and make sure you make the most of the 7 days as they will fly by far to quickly!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments about our hotel.
Your honest opinion is very important because it allows us to meet the demands of our guests. On behalf of the entire team at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica again we appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you again on your next visit to Jamaica.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Overall: an excellent resort and good value for money. The guest rooms are large and well designed. There are several à la carte restaurants from which to choose, and the food is up to par for this class of hotel. The beach is in a sheltered cove and is great for wading, swimming and playing with children, and snorkelling over sheltered reefs. There were no beach vendors to interrupt our peace and enjoyment. The staff are very friendly. At least in the week we were there, there was plenty of space around the pools and on the beach to be able to find either sunny or shady spots with loungers. Unlike many resorts, it wasn’t necessary to get out early before breakfast to reserve a spot for the day - a very civilized alternative.

We can pick holes, though. Only one of three sail boats was in commission, and with no reservation system it became a matter of luck to get on the water. The room cleaning was good but missed details. Sometimes we were without towels for several hours. We twice reported minor problems in our room but nothing was fixed in the week we were there.

Room Tip: Best to be on the ground floor as the elevators are very small and often slow to come.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We would like to acknowledge that we have received your kind note regarding your stay with us. We are very satisfied to hear that you enjoyed your vacation and really appreciate your recommendations you have done to our operation. We can assure you that they will be taken into consideration.

Thank you again and we look forward to host you in our property in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I live in Kingston, Jamaica and driving to the country is one of my hobbies, I have passed this hotel many times and had no interest because of the things the locals said happen while construction was being done and the outside design is just OK. But let me tell u.......i'Ill be back!!!!

Every year for the past seven years i have been going to the Jamaica Jazz and blues festival. Anyway for Dec 2012 i exhausted my funds in travelling extensively for the Christmas, Nevertheless my good friend talked me into going even one night. I agreed, it was next to impossible to find accommodation at last minute but we did at a certain hotel in runaway bay. On the 26th of January on our way down that hotel called to tell us they were overbooked and could not host us. Can u imagine how flabbergasted we were? We were frantic, angry and we were just lost. To do the three hour drive back to Kingston in the night ,Oh boy!'

At this point my friend remembered that she stayed at Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica, i was very apprehensive to say the least, but at that point we had no choice. So she called a work colleague of hers and she put on us on to an angel (literally) Rosie who worked at the hotel but was not at work but in return she gave us a Guardian Angel Sandra in sales, Wow!!! The top class service began at the security.

When we went in the guardian angel greeted us with a diamond smile and from there i was sold. The area we were checked in "The Don Pablo" was brilliantly decorated, airy, it had a waiting area, a lounge and a bar(that actually had premium liquor). The hostesses were assuring, knowledgeable, and affable.

After check-in, which was long but not unbearable given the short notice, we went to our room. The rooms are average in decor(or comparing to the hotels i have stayed in the past) very very clean, bed not as stately as i like but comfortable,stocked bar, room service, butler service, and the view was spectacular !!!!!!!

I cannot end this without talking about the staff, they know what service is all about the hotel was packed at maximum capacity and i still felt like royalty. Sandra in sales, the team in Don Pablo check in, housekeeping, the bartenders at the pool, dinning rooms esp Juan and Mr Lewis, Big up!!!! Thank you very much.

I called the other hotel and thanked them for bumping us, dwl :-))))). If it wasn't for them i maybe would have never been to Gran Bahia Principe.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Customer Service Manager

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!