“Wedding trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

You added Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Salt Coopers. Runaway Bay. Jamaica | Salt Coopers, Runaway Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Kitchener, Canada
“Wedding trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Me and my wife got married here Nov 27 2012 with 25 guest. Wedding went so smooth and could not ask for a better day thanks to the wedding crew. Big thanks to Christopher Lee the photographer for doing such a great job and made it so easy!! Food was overall good, few thinks could be done to the hotel to make it better but overall we enjoyed it and may return in the future. Also wanna thank Lloyd at the swim up bar for making us laugh and doing a great job looking after our group!

Rob

• Stayed November 2012
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear guest,

We are very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and we really appreciate your postive comments and of course your time to share through Trip Advisor your experience with us.

Thank you again for vacationing with us and we will be always at your disposal for any further requests or assistance for next visits to our Resort or any other from our Bahia Principe chain.

Customer Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,812)
  • Polish first
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Went to this resort in September 2012 with 100 of my friends...yes 100 ladies who made the best of a nasty situation. I was there for 7 nights and four of the ladies (my friends) and I tried to like the resort, but it was just too depressing.

PROS: Enjoyed the beautiful weather, the pool was nice (but there is an exception to that too)...and the company was excellent. Jerome - pool bar attendant was exceptional and understands the value of customer service!

CONS: Dark rooms, never enough towels or wash cloths (after repeatedly complaining to the management. The hallways were dank, musty, and the carpet was horrendous (torn, stained, and the carpet right outside of my room had human feces smeared in it...it was there for a couple days). After complaining to the management about the feces stains a couple of days went by and then we noticed that patch of carpet was bleached! Horrible

Television in our room did not work and two of the lamps were inoperable.

One day while at the pool, which was the best redeeming quality of the entire trip, I noticed something in the pool that resembled human waste. (Now I imagine you are thinking this lady is "feces conscious" but honestly feces in the hall and feces in the pool was just a concidence...an unfortunate one). I spoke to the pool attendant who refused to do anything...he said it was not his issue but he did tell the security (don't know how that is in the realm of security). I started to quietly alert the guests who were in the pool and stayed around for about 30 more minutes...the waste remained in the pool! Unbelievable.

I would say that the food was average nothing to rave about...In fact the food in the buffet area was monotonous and you could see that Grand Bahia was not wasteful because there was mashed potatoes on the serving line for breakfast! We were not impressed with the food at all, except for the Japanese restaurant which was a delight because of the interaction with the chef and the other guests.

I would not and could not ever recommend this facility to my friends or even those I don't care much about...it was that bad and there are too many other nicer resorts in Jamaica...so Gran Bahia, you ignored our complaints but you must remember that your customers have a method to make sure your shortcomings are known, even if you decide not to acknowledge them!

Room Tip: Don't....none of the rooms I visited were worth the trip
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience with us.

We would like to inform you that we work continuously daily in the well maintain of our Hotel ( buildings and public areas ) making cleaning, painting works and all what can be necessary to keep the good status and cleanness of our Resort for the well being of our guests, their well-being, safety and security during their stay with us are the most important for us. As it represents a huge responsibility for a big part of our staff, organization and a big effort in order to create a safe environment that satisfies our clients' requirements, especially on a special time when our guests do not expect more than relax and enjoy their holidays. We can assure you that we follow strict program which are carried out continuously and we work with established sanitation standards, which are monitored continuously by internal and external audits. Indeed, the Tour Operators organize frequent visits to our Resort, in order to make sure that we follow the established safety and hygiene patterns. We deeply sorry if you have the impression that our resort is unsuitable and unsafe, we are working every day to provide our guest a very pleasant and safe place where they can enjoy their holidays and we further regret that you felt that we were not able to fulfill your expectations. Our goal strives in our guest satisfaction and we really appreciate our guest’s opinions and suggestions, their comments always are valuable and more than welcome for us.

We would like to inform you that we are very concerned about the situation mentioned in the swimming pool and corridors, and after checking carefully our inetrnal docuemntation, please kinldy note that we were not able to find any report or similar situation regarding feces.

The management and staff we would like to extend our sincerest apologies if you had the impression that your requests were not listened carefully, it was never our intention. Our guest’s perception is extremely important and valuable for us. We really appreciate this kind of communication that our guests give us the opportunity to asses and evaluate our performance.

In the name of our General Manager and staff, we would like to thank you for vacationing with us at the Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort and we hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you once again and improve the perception that you have about us.

Yours respectfully,

Austin, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is my 2nd time at this resort in the past two years,I am amazed how much it has fallen apart, I understand they get tropical storms and large amounts of rain fall,We stayed in the new building,Drywall falling from the ceiling water coming in from every where,Lighting in the front entrance just hanging from it's wires,can you say law suit?.I have a feeling they will just shut down and rebuild like other hotels.Also we went to the 90 min meeting to see what the VIP offers (really) nothing to be impressed about VIP in Mexico Tops any thing the Bahia had to offer,The average Joe,blue collar ,is not aloud to have VIP here it is not offered in any package,When I asked the (shark) what if you offered this on your package deals to people who may want VIP for a week his reply 'his words not mine' I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE AVERAGE JOE. I was a little taken back this guy needs some one to shake him because it is the Joe's that keep this hotel open,I have to say the Braco is cheaper (alot) and offers more including VIP. I am sorry to say we will never stay here again.We have made great relations with the staff Tyron Gordon,(life guard)@ Anna St Clair (chamber maid) who we met on are very first visit and still remain in contact via letters and emails,We had the pleasure this time of meeting Tyrons family at his house ,that was amazing Tyron drove us into the hills to his house truly amazing loved it and his boys,we brought them trinkits a football ,mini hockey sticks.They smiled a smile you do not see very often,They melted my heart .This will be the reason we return To Jamaica,But as far as the Bahia if I want a Spanish expearance I will go to Spain,If I want a Jamaican trip I will try the Braco,,,,Oh Yes Please tip it is amazing how far are money goes their..Canadian dollars or US they take both.Do not change your currancy into Jamaican dollars..So Bahia not so Grand anymore ,shame that all that money coming in is not being used for a truly Jamaican Expearance,Sad and a shame to see what has happen in the past two years.

Room Tip: We booked a ocean view, We where able to see some of it from a side view,I believe we had the wrong...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We hope that you had a very nice trip back home.

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your concerns regarding your recent stay with us and we really appreciate your excellent comments regarding our employees. We also appreciate your recommendations and suggestions regarding our Resort. We would like to inform you that we have taken good note. We really appreciate this kind of communication that our guests give us the opportunity to asses and evaluate our performance and we would like to express our most sincere apologies for not being able to reach your expectation during your stay.

Kelowna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have spend several vacations at this resort. All in all in is a very good resort. What I was told on the last vacation was that the staff is paid minimum wage in Jamaican currency. We are paying the bahia principe in Cnd & US currency. When you realize the incredible gap in Jamaican & American currencies you can only come to the conclusion that colonialism is not dead. Someone is making a killing in my view. The Jamaican society is a hard working wonderful people. Please folks---tip them in our currency--generously if you can, especially the chamber maids. This is a very impoverished nation.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the newer section facing the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear guest,

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that you appreciated the professionalism of our staff, we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal- the continuous improvement of our services.

In the name of our General Manager and staff , we would like to thank you for vacationing with us at the Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort and we hope see you very soon in our property.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

decided to take the children to jamaica as i have been numerous times before. this hotel is by far the worst i have stayed in. ever! the kind entertainment team and restaurant staff are amazing though, the hotel management team are an embarrassment to them.

1. on arrival, we were already checked in which you would think would be good but as we got off the coach, madness consumed the lobby and we were left with two children under 5 not knowing where our room was, stood in the lobby waiting for service for around 20 mins.

2. cockroaches in the room.

3. very, very bad over crowding with lots of american and canadian parties over taking the hotel.

4. due to the over crowding of the hotel, meal time are a farse... because of the rush to get food out as it i in such high demand from the americans and canadians who pile their plates soooo high, i nearly fed my 1 year old raw chicken as it had not been cooked properly. thank god i check for things like that. i made a complaint but saw NO results.

5. entertainment crew made a fantastic effort with my children and myself which was pleasant. its a shame that they are treated so poorl by the management. they put in such long hours and work soo hard going over and above for all guests.

6. i found a HAIR IN MY FOOD TWICE.

overall, i would never travel to this hotel ever.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

It is indeed with great regret that we have leant that your experience in our resort did not reach your expectations and we are very concerned about the situations you reported. We further regret that you felt your requests were not attended properly or in a timely manner.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for all inconveniences it may you caused as a result of this situation mentioned by you and please rest assured that your comments will be take into consideration with relevant department’s heads.

Once again we would like to thank you for vacationing with us at the Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort and we hope you will consider giving us the opportunity to once again host you in the near future.

Yoursrespectfully,

Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I were skeptical about this resort because we saw all of the negative reviews. It was wonderful! Great nightlife, great excursions, great service, very clean, and a good variety of food. We did upgrade to the Gold package which I have heard makes a difference. You get different colored bracelets and bigger rooms. You also get use of the private air conditioned room to check in and out as well as free internet service. We 100% recommend upgrading! It is worth it! We met some great people and had a blast. There is always something going on by the pools for kids of all ages and adults (games and contests). We did the Dunns River excursion and the Dune Buggies! I highly recommend this resort if you are looking for a great time!

Room Tip: Any room higher than the first level because mosquitos tended to be a problem....even though we did...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

It is an honor for us to receive your support after reading your comments and we are glad to know that your were satisfied and enjoyed your vacations beside some negatives comments and you checked by your self that not always are real.

Thank you again for your opinion, so important and valuable for us and of course our doors will be always opened for next visits to this wonderful island.

Hamilton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I did not have high expectations, all for curiosity since I had never been to Jamaica before, however, stayed at the Bahia hotel in the Mayan Riviera the year previous. It is as if the hotels have no similar standards. The room was clean, although every day the maid service would forget something...from coffee to towels. A la cartes were histerical - the steak house ran out of steak (wth). Italian, waiting over an hour for the meal (they had two wedding parties attending this restaurant at this time and must not have factored cooking all of these entries at one time...no dessert left. The jerk chicken hut ran out quite early in the lunch hour, and cleanliness was missed entirely. It was as if it missed the mark in every category. It did rain for two days and nights which wiped out the indoor theatre...left without activities for this period of time. Sadly, there were many 'drunks' which changed the atmosphere somewhat - guess I just can't get into trailer trash. The excertions...really...Bob Marley tour high on the recommendations...not to mention being approached for pot twice before leaving the airport. I am a good, clean fun kind of person, and did have fun with my friends ... will not however return.

Room Tip: I think the higher floors have less traffic and therefore didn't have to hear people screaming t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you so mcuh for taking the tine to share your concerns with us and we are very sorry that we could not be able to reach your expectations with our Restaurants a la Cart service. Please kinldy note that we have addressed your reviews and recommendations to our Food and Beverage Department, to inform them and work on these points.

Our goal consist on surprising our guests exceeding their expecattions

Waiting for hosting you again in the near future.

Customer Service Manager

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!