“Would NOT go back” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Salt Coopers Villa | Runaway Bay, Runaway Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #5 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
Front Royal, Virginia
“Would NOT go back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Just got back from Jamaica on Tuesday. We stayed at this hotel for 5 days, thank goodness it wasn't any longer. The resort itself is beautiful, however the rooms, staff and food could stand for much improvement. When we first checked in we were given room 17108. We walk in the room and find a maid cart, shoes, and a light fixture that belonged in the ceiling sitting on our sink. We contacted the front desk and was told they would send someone down immediately. After 3 hours of waiting I finally demanded a new room.
We were then moved to 17118 which was infested with mosquitos. There were 6 other couples in our group and 3 of the 6 also had to be given new rooms.
The coffee pot in our room was disgusting and literally had mold growing inside it. I complained to the maid about it and she took it in our bathroom and washed it out. Needless to say, I didn't use it as I'm sure that did not kill the mold.
Out of our 5 day stay, we only had washclothes left in our room 2 of those days. One day we wasn't even brought clean towels so we had to use hand towels to dry off with after a shower.
Everytime we called the front desk we were told someone (from maintenance or housekeeping)would be right there. However, no one ever showed up.
The food was just ok...the Japanese restuarant was good but the buffet could use much improvement.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear guest,

Receive very warm greetings from Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica.

Certainly we cannot tell you how deeply we regret and so much concerned we are regarding your opinion about your recent stay with us. We are very surprised with your comments and we would like to inform you that we have already addressed them to our department heads to take the necessary corrective measures and avoid this situation in the future. Our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused as a result of those situations mentioned and thank you so much for letting us know to have the opportunity to amend them and we hope to have also the opportunity to recover your trust again coming back to our Resort in the near future.

Yours respectfully,

5,954 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,528)
  • Polish first
Alexandria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Update to my review:

The first review was filled with spelling errors and haphazardly organized. Hopefully this more thorough, better organized review with help you. This review is organized by the following:
- Pre-travel arrangements
- Pros of the resort
- Cons of the resort
- Suggestions

This was my first trip to Jamaica but my third trip to the Caribbean. I have traveled more than most Americans and through my travels I have spent time on four amazing continents. Before I begin on the topics mentioned above, I would like to say overall, this experience was mostly worth the money. I enjoyed a relaxing all-inclusive vacation in beautiful Jamaica.

***Pre-travel arrangements:***
The hotel is about an hours drive from Montego Bay airport and about 30 minutes from Ocho Rios. If you would like be in the thick of things, this is not the hotel for you.

- I suggest booking your transportation to and from the hotel prior to your department. I booked transportation through Jamaica Exquisite Day tours. It was reasonable priced I found, $65 each way for up to 4 people. The driver was courteous and he even phoned to ensure we landed safely. Kuddos

- Email the hotel info.jamaica@bahiaprincipe.comand make restaurant reservations before your trip. You will have a better chanceof getting your preferred time and location.
My recommendations are listed below. You can visit the restaurant list at http://www.bahia-principe.com/en/hotels/runaway/resort-jamaica/restaurants-bars

o Don Pablos (this is not Latin inspired); it’s amazing. I recommend the mushroom soup and duck.
o Mikado
o The Garden Grill

- If you want to tour Jamaica, pick up some information from the Airport, ask your transportation driver (maybe you can negotiate a personal driver at a reasonable price). If your experience is like mine, the hotel front desk staff will not provide this information but maybe for you they will so ask. We all have our own experiences.

- Bring snacks in your carry own. The hotel gift shop is crazy expensive and there are no inexpensive locations within walking distances – please see note above, you are in the middle of nowhere. You may or may not have chips in your minifridge. There will be plenty of water and soda.

- I didn’t need bug spray but my friends, on the 4th floor while I was on the 6th, certainly did.

- Departing out of the Montego Bay Airport took an unreasonable amount of time– over an hour and it wasn’t busy, folks were just moving slowly. I suggest arriving a full 2 hours before departure. *maybe this was an off day but you never know*

***Pros of the Resort***
- My 6th floor room was amazing. I was able to sleep with the doors wide open everynight and not a single mosquito bite. I am a mosquito magnet FYI.
- Rooms are pretty nice. Bathroom was great.
- The resort is not overwhelming in size.
- The grounds are beautiful
- The restaurant staff is polite and in their defense, as they have received some negative reviews, these people are working incredibly long hours. You will see the same people at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- The activities staff is great. They are working all day long in the sun and are even entertaining in the evening. I was barely using kinetic energy, mostly lounging in the sun and only moving when I needed to eat or nap and I was tired. Kuddos to them for their spirit and endurance.
- The pool is plenty large.
- If you ask for more alcohol at the bars you get it.
- The a la carte restaurants that I had the pleasure to dine at *see above* were fantastic. I was very much happy with my meals.
- There is plenty of food at the buffet.
- Most of the resort staff are friendly.
- After day two, navigating the resort is a piece of cake.
- My room had an amazing view
- Rain passes quickly
- The beach is walking distance from the pool
- You can buy and drink fresh coconut milk for $2.00
- Guests at the resort are pleasant – met lots of interesting people.
- Rooms are nice

***Cons of the resort***based on my experience
- It was very difficult for my group of three to get chairs together and next to impossible to get a set of chairs under an umbrella. It is way too hot in the summer not to have more umbrellas
- Water activities are unimpressive
- Buffet is mediocre at best (its mostly American type food, Im American and I love American food but not blah American food in Jamaica)
- Breakfast buffet ends too early and we weren’t provided information regarding the hours.
- They don’t fully cook the bacon during breakfast – but there is a microwave so you can heat your bacon
- Floor layout is weird, just because you catch the elevator to your room’s floor doesn’t mean you will be able to get to your room. Some areas are apparently blocked off. I cant really explain this correctly but I will tell you it took some work to figure out how to get to my room.
- If you don’t make restaurant reservations prior to your trip, you make not have an opportunity to eat at your desired location.
- Doesn’t provide a welcome packet with activities and locations, restaurant hours, tours etc.
- Too much “figuring out on your own” to do
- Ocean floor is rough
- The amount of bees at the outdoor Jamaican restaurant is crazy. There has to be a solution for this.
- There are cats around the outdoor restaurant and I realize this is a con for many but it didn’t bother me.
- Onsite nightclub leaves much to be desired.
- My front desk staff comment in previous review is unfair – they aren’t all unhelpful, just there is a lack of information provided by staff but this is more of a management issue. I will say at other resorts though the front staff usually provides great information from the local perspective and this definitely was not the case at Gran Bahia. I am of course disappointed as this information about Ocho Rios would have been great but oh well my next trip.
- Some areas in the hotel need renovation. The 6th floor has huge cracks in the wall, including my room. There are damaged padlocked doors which gave me an eerie feel when walking to my room at night by myself.
- The hotel is nonsmoking but people are allowed to smoke on their balconies they it is essentially smoking as the smoke returns to the room. Maybe section off an area of the hotel for smoking.
- Beds are so firm. I had a hip injury and I was in terrible pain every morning because the beds were too hard to lie comfortably on my side.

***Suggestions***
- A welcome packet with information regarding tours, times, restaurants, contacts, activities etc.
- Section off a smoking block of rooms *see why above*
- Softer beds
- Step up you snack bar *its pretty pathetic* a candy bar and bag of chips would be a nice addition. Other Gran Bahia hotels offer better minifridge options. Maybe even a miniature Tortuga Rum cake, I love those!!!!!
- Increase the Jamaica feel. I realize this is a Spanish hotel, however, if I wanted Spanish I would have gone to Spain or perhaps Trinidad. There should be more Caribbean food on the buffet and a Jamaican dinner restaurant. Caribbean music in the lobby etc. whatever it takes.
- Fix damaged rooms and hallways. Remove those creepy doors. Makes me feel like I’m in the Shinning.
- Average guest stays four nights so we should have access to four a la carte restaurants *don’t be cheap when you’re already skimping on the buffet*
***- Increase security, be mindful that some women come to the resort solo and don’t want to be harassed by men whether guests or workers CONSTANTLY. Its not that I felt unsafe (actually at one point we did because of a bothersome guest that would not get the point).***
- Upon booking, shoot a friendly email about transportation, restaurants etc.
- Be mindful that we have choices. My stay was pleasant enough but I don’t think I will return unless the issues above are resolved. Im not sure if the owners just don’t take as much pride in this location as the others but there should definitely be more investment in making this as enjoyable an experience as the other locations.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us your opinion especially your recommendations to can improve our services. Those comments are the most important always for us because they let us know our guests needs and requirements.

Thank you so much again and we hope to can host you in the near future.

Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

very nice place lots to offer but no where near a 5 star as advertised. that being said we did have a great time here. the food was good the service was good...where they fall down a bit is how ell the place is kept clean in the hotel itself..i saw the same debris on the carpets in the hallways for an entire week ...not just small bits but lots of it... was easy to see that a vacuum was never used once... out hotel room had a stopped sink and a drain plugin the jacuzi tub that did not stop the water from draining...both issues that the maid was fully aware of but never called maintenance herself.there were many other things that prevents this place form being a five star. also...We spoke to many guests that booked here because they were at this chains hotels in mexico and the dominican..they were very upset people as they were really expecting so much more then what they ended up with.... We enjoyed our time here and nothing that was wrong was deal breaker as the place has very nice rooms attentive staff great beaches and the pool is amazing for those that like pools. If you can go to place and over look some small stuff you will like this hotel..but if you expect a 5 star and all the little things(some bigger ones too) that should be done right, as it is advertised as a 5 star.By all means you will be wee bit disappointed but not dismayed... 5 star pricing should mean you GET 5 stars when you arrive to your destination that being said i would return here but the price would have to reflect the facts above

Dear guest,

Receive very warm greetings from Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica.

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate your impressions with us. It is very important for us to receive this kind of communication to can evaluate our performance.

However we regret that we were not able to fulfill your expectations however as we just said, we are very appreciative of your comments and we put our greatest interest into your opinion and rest assured you that we will take good note about it to check this information with relevant department's heads to give these matters the proper attention. We have very clear that our guests are the most important, as well as their comments.

We would like to inform you that our carpets are being already changing for new ones, and they are normally vacuumed every 2 days.

On behalf of our General Manager and all Team Members, we apologize for the situations you experienced during your stay; and please do not hesitate to get in touch with us for your next visit for any further request or assistance.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

My friends and I visited this amazing resort Oct 20-26th, on the 6th floor, before, during, and after hurricane Sandy and even with all the excitement, we were 100% safe and entertained throughout our entire stay. My review is facts about the resort and real people at the resort who you might meet as we'll as my personal experience interacting with all of them.

When my friends and I arrived we were immediately welcomed by what seemed like 10 different people, hand towels, drinks, champagne, bellhop, it was like 5 star immediate pampering! We get to the room and a couple minor issues, safe didn't work nor did the refrigerator but when we called down, someone came right up to fix them and that was that. We quickly changed into our bathing suits and headed to the pool bar where there was the entertainment staff as well as what seemed like everyone in the resort. They knew exactly where to go so we followed the crowd. We're American so we still tip regardless of where we are at, and it went a LONG way. The bartenders knew exactly who we were every time, and looked for us behind a long busy line. Sorry to the others but if we tip that's what we expect. The drinks of course were a little stronger but we did not want them to be stronger. We would be drinking all day and night so we would did not mind the weak drinks but if we wanted more, they would give us more. No questions asked. The bartenders also told us that it is better to tip in American money because that's what they like, just a heads up.

We were advised to go to a local place to get Jamaicans famous Jerk Chicken and we were completely blown out of the water! The name of the restaurant is called Scotchies, if you get the chance, GO. It's easy to get a ride because it is only 5 minutes away, 10 with traffic. The chicken was good, the pork was BETTER! My 12 friends and I ate there with drinks and everything for $140 USD. We visited all the restaurants except the Italian one and Don Pablo's was the BEST on the resort. I got the filet, it was good, but my friend got a dish where they bring out your meat and cut it right in front of you and the name of it escapes me but it was AMAZING. So sorry I can't be of more help but it came with mashed potatoes and vegetables as well I believe. That was the best thing on the menu by far of all the restaurants. You need reservations!! Make sure you make them and plan your dinners when you get to the resort so you're not stuck eating the buffet everyday. It can get very repetitive.

The day of the hurricane, we were thinking, crap, what are we gonna do for entertainment play cards all day? Wrong. They kept the entertainment staff at the hotel so they could keep the guests entertained of course. That's when they shined and best of all, we were all safe and didnt even mind the storm going on outside. we didnt even notice it until we walked by a window. Not one person looked like they were having a bad time unless they were scared of the hurricane. We from Florida! We intend to have FUN! "Bradley, Bradley beat them badly" so Kevin says and Shawna Lee stared them "USA USA USA" chant that Drew will never forget. If you ever get the chance, go up to those people talking with the microphone, they will brighten up your day and make you never forget how much fun you had in Jamaica.

As far as shopping, they have on site shopping where you can get your souvenirs for your family and friends. Here's a hint, NEGOTIATE! If there is a picture frame you like and it is $20 USD, simply tell them you'll pay half the price. $10 USD. See what they say. All those shops with have the things you're looking for. There is really no need to leave the property unless you go to Dunn's River (which was canceled because of the hurricane, but its ok because it gives us a reason to go back) or whatever other excursion, and Scotchies. I'm telling you, you will not be disappointed.

Last thing, we tipped our maid as well. I asked her for plenty of water stocked in our room everyday because between my boyfriend and I, we drink a lot of "wata" especially when we have been drinking. Our room had 4 bottles in it every time he came by which was normally twice a day I believe. Once around 10ish and another time around 5 maybe 6ish. I can't remember ours but she was very very nice and very helpful to myself as we'll as my friends. We stayed in 16606 if that helps on the management side. And the view to our room was breath taking. I wish I would've got a picture from the balcony of the pool but I simply just forgot to take one. Beautiful resort. Absolutely stunning.

The only complaint I have is the fact we were on the 6th floor and when the hurricane was going through, of course we did not use the elevator for security purposes but when we were leaving at 5am I suppose it was being worked on because it was not working so we had to drag our heavy luggage down 6 flights of stairs. At least we were not going up! It's not really a complaint even, more of a heads up. It's 1 elevator that EVERYONE uses on all 7 floors. While we were there there were not too many people but I'd hate to see what it looks like in the summer time. We didn't mind it but I hope you're used to stair climbing.

Let me end by thanking those who made our stay one we will NEVER FORGET. First I would like to thank Sandra and Rosie for helping myself as well as the entire bookit crew for helping us with the tours of the hotel, making reservations, coordinating our entire stay, and Rosie, for eating dinner with us and making us feel SO welcome to your resort. Thank you
And the entertainment crew of course, Kevin, Shawna Lee, and I am ashamed of myself but another man in the entertainment crew who was doing trivia, he had a shaved head I believe, and he kept calling one of the guys in our party "Stone Cold Steve Austin!" HILARIOUS! So sorry your name escapes me, it's been almost a month and we miss all of you since the day we left. Thank you for your hospitality and making my friends and I feel so welcome and at home. It was almost like we never left Florida and you have no idea how much we appreciated it. Thank you again for the memories, we will always cherish them! And Delroy the bartender! So good meeting all of you and I am so very sorry if I missed anyone but I've been meaning to write this since the day we left and have not gotten the chance to until now so I am sorry for forgetting the names of everyone we did get to meet. Hopefully we will be back one day and see your smiling faces again

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for letting us know that you were satisfied with our Resort, our facilities and servicies and we sincerelly hope you come back again soon.

Yours sincerelly,

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I just back from spending a week in Jamaica for the first time and was amazed with the resort the bride and groom chose for thier amazing day. The events they have planned daily/nightly were great and they really made sure all the young kids were involved with the Kids nightly show. The staff was unbelieve.
The choice of restaurants and bars was amazing and the food was really good.
I would recommend this resort to anyone who decided to visit the beautiful country of Jamaica. I know when I go back, this will be my choice!
Marlon Honegan (Executive Assistant Manager) was great!! He knew exactly which bridal party our group belonged to. Thank you for making this a great experience

Room Tip: We had an great view with our room of the swimming pools and the ocean. The rooms are spacious, but...
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind reviews specially to our Exceutive Assistant Manager, Mr. Marlon Honegan , we really appreciate them.

It was a pleasure to can assist you and make sure that your wedding group specially the bride and the groom, had and enjoyable stay.

Thank you so mcuh again, and we hope to see you very soon at our Resort.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Food: Horrible
Service: Non existent
Beach: Abandoned

The food selection is very plain and not tasty, drinks are just as bad - fool of syrup and cheap cheap house liquor.

Plain and simple - Stay away.

Dear guest.

We also would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate the impressions of your vacation with us. we really appreciate your opinion to help us to improve our level of quality and service.

We would like to extend our sincere apologies if we were not able to reach your expectations regarding our meal services as a result of these situations that you have brought to our attention, and please rest assure that your comments have been taken serious into consideration and correctives measures will be taken to avoid this situations in the future.

In the name of our General Manager and staff , we would like to thank you for vacationing with us at the Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort and we hope that you could give us the opportunity to host you again in the future..

Yours respectfully,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Me and my husband when on our honey moon we were made to feel so special the entire trip :)
The food the location the people could not have asked for a better destination.
Always something to do and if not you can bet that the entertainment crew will create an atmosphere full of fun and enjoyment. Getting everyone involved no matter who you are .
Bunch of talented people :)
Be sure that if something is not right the manager (mr Esteban) will try to help you as much as I can. Such a genuine and professional man.
I would go back to jamacia any day and esp to this resort. Hopefully on our 1 year anniversary ;) Sonali (London)

• Stayed August 2012
Dear guest,

Receive very cordial greetings from Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica.

On behalf of our General Manager and all our staff Members, thank you so much for your support and your positive reviews, so important for us and we hope to can host you again very soon.

Customer Service Manager

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!