“Our Jamaican getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Club Caribbean

You added Royal Decameron Club Caribbean to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street Runaway Bay, Runaway Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Newcastle
“Our Jamaican getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

Me and my husband arrived at the royal decameron club carribbean resort in july 2008 that was our 3rd time there and we are going for a 4th time we are booked up and going on the 4th of july this year in like 5 months and we cannot wait as this is our 4th time we have met some very wonderful people there and they are now our friends for life we just love the Jamaican way of life the island is stunning the jamaican people are amazing the weather is gorgous and it is really good for couples our first time there was for our honeymoon. It is a very romantic and peaceful place it is definately our holiday destination. ANYBODY WHO EVER GETS THE CHANCE GO TO JAMAICA ITS THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH YOU WOULD LOVE IT SCOOP IT UP YA MAN NO PROBLEM IN JAMAICA THATS WHAT THEY SAY

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jammin53

norfolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

We were amazed that this was just a 3 star holiday. I have dreamt of visiting Jamaica for 30 years and this was everything i had imagined. The staff were really nice and we made some good friends there. Entertainment good and friendly. We stayed in a cottage on the beach which was basic but clean and anyway with such wonderful weather you weren t in doors much. The food displays were secong to none. We just wished that the beach wasn t so rocky would loved to have swum in the sea more often but too many rocks. We are returning next year for our daughters wedding Looking forward to seeing all our friends at the complex againDunns Rivers Falls was more scarey than we thought it would be slipped and bruised my ribs but was beautiful. The worst thing is being pestered by cab drivers or vendors when outside complex

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank denisei1957
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

This place is a blast! I went there with my husband and 6-year-old son and we all had fun. I would recommend it to anyone and I agree with all positive reviews about the cozy cottages, cleanness and the good service. The atmosphere is very nice and relaxing. The local people and personnel are very happy and positive. I’ve been to Cuba, Dominican Republic and Mexico (all 4&5 stars) but so far this resort is on top of my list. Enjoy your stay; I am sure you will be a bit sad to leave…

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Ontario080
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

We stayed at the Royal Decameron Club Caribbean for 2 weeks over Christmas and had a great time and hope to return there for Christmas 2010.

Before leaving home I was really worried that we would not receive a garden cottage that we had booked and paid for, but had no problems there, had a nice cottage, number 45 which met our every need. It was clean and had nice comfortable beds and everything in the cottage worked fine.

We dined mainly in the 'Pick a Pepper' buffet restaurant where there was an excellent variety of different foods that should even meet the needs of fussy eaters and which was always well presented. We did have dinner in the 'Nyaming', an asian fusion a la carte restaurant one evening and enjoyed our steak dinner there.

The activity staff were absolutely excellent and work long hours to try to keep people entertained with kayak races, Olympic day, rum punch relay etc. A big thank you to Frisky, Frosty, Rocky, Storm and the water aerobics instructor.

The water sports team were really helpful and provided fresh clean towels when needed and we never had a problem there. Also included are free glass bottom boat trips and snorkelling tours to a nearby reef, plus kayak's, pedal boats, banana boat rides, hobie cat and the loan of snorkel, masks etc. We thoroughly enjoyed our trips on the glass bottom boat and the snorkelling tour and saw plenty of pretty fish.

All in all we felt that the RDCC offered an excellent value for money holiday.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank stluciafriend
Sherwood Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

Honestly I cannot believe that people write bad reviews about this place. It is truly a gem in Jamaica. This resort is a 3 star resort so please when you book it dont expect it to be 5 star. I think people lose their ways on what a holiday is supposed to be and some people have very large expectations and will always be disappointed.
We absolutely loved Royal Decameron and would come back here again and again.
ROOMS - if you are bothered by a little rust and bugs then you are not gonna be happy here. The rooms are clean, comfortable - dont forget, this is not a Ritz hotel. Our cottage was on the beach and it was absolutely amazing.
FOOD - lots of variety to pick from, salads, fruit, chicken, fish.
SERVICE - fantastic - everyone is wonderful, friendly, helfpul. We had an issue with our toilet - resolved, no problem mon.
ENTERTAINEMENT - OH MY GOSH - by far the best I have seen, Frisky, Frosty and Rocky make you days and nights. These guys work hard to entertain you all day. The entertainement is so personal and interactive here becasue its a smal resort. Way better than watching a stage show at a 5 star resort.
BEACH - it is swimmable, so dont believe the reviews. The water is warm and you can swim out to the coral reefs. The hotel offers free kayaking, snorkling, banana boat rides...etc.

If you are a picky, over obsessed, fussy vacationer then do not go here becasue you will not like it. If you are easy going, fun, carefree - then you will love this hotel.

Lets just say that many people were offered the free upgrade to the 5 star sister resort RIU in Montego Bay and not many people were taking the upgrade. This place truly is a gem.

10 Thank CrazyPolaks
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

My Wife and I arrived Christmas Day evening after a long wait through customs and
a shocking bus ride in the dark. The clerk at the front desk was plesant and the young helper greeted us with rum punches. Our first impression was it was noisy as the
entertainment group were on,as we were lead through the complex we arrived at
beach front cottage #2 [ backs onto kitchen, laundry and service area] room was clean
and acceptable.we were tired,andhungry and found the slim pickings left on the buffet as it was about to close and we thought what have we gotten into.
The next day after a great night sleep [ good bed and take ear plugs ] we were met
with a fantastick buffet - fruit -cereal - pancakes - waffles-and all kinds of hot food
and pasteries, more than you could want. our first experience with the beach
was good,only thing is take your towels down early for a good spot as some
europeans take unfair advantage !!!!!
Lunch is never a problem the buffet has grilled sandwiches to order and salad etc.
my recomendation is the jasmaine for it has hamburger and try the pizza !!!
the bar staff are good and a small tip works wonders they never forget your drink
after that [ P.S. take a travel mug with you as it will keep your drink really cold ]
Dinner is also good the buffet has different theme nights and there is also the
alecarte restarunts- do try the jamaican fried rice [ yum ]
If you go with an open mind you will have fun don't sweat the small stuff and BE HAPPY
Please remember this is a 3 star not a 5 star if you can deal with that you will have fun
if you walk around with your nose in the air then you will hate this place.
Also a big hello to our new British friend Brian and Alison. Wesley and Caroline and
Dave and Julie, You guys are great !!!!.
I would also recommend to take some tours as we did Dunns River falls and the Blue
mountain bike tour it is a must [ long day ]
Also as I read in one other review treat people the way you like to be treated say please
and thankyou - don't swear and snap your fingers at the employees [ You know who
you are ]

LAST THING IS I WOULD GO BACK IN A HEARTBEAT !!!!!

THANKYOU STAFF OF THE ROYAL DECAMERON CLUB YOU WERE GREAT

8 Thank 81shovelhead
Yorkshire. UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

Stayed at RDCC for 3 weeks from 14 Dec 2009 to 4 Jan 2010 for our 10th wedding anniversary and did a lot of research on Tripadvisor before choosing RDCC. Normally I don't write reviews but thought I'd try and give a bit of balance seeing as how the last few reviewers seem to either really love or really hate the place. I'll try and cover most of the points raised as I see them - only my personal opinion of course :-)

Credit cards - Used mine at both the front desk and to book off complex activities - not had any misuse, but I'll keep my eyes on it based on the experience of a couple of other people.

Food (Buffet) - Breakfast is very good, especially the egg station. Salad bar at both lunch and in the evening is also very good. Meat is hit and miss, beef is generally tough, pork is either good or bad and chicken is generally a bit dry. To be honest it's the same as 3(ish) star AI resorts the world over. Certainly after a while you'd want a break, which takes me on to

Food (A la carte) - We used this quite a bit from week 2 of our stay for some variety. We both thought that the majority of the food was really very good in both of the restaurants. The Phad Thai dish at the Asian restaurant was very poor (Pasta instead of noodles and way too much soy sauce - everything was grey) but apart from that we were happy to eat there. One other thing - the Asian restaurant does burgers, pizzas etc.c from 12:00 - 17:00 which is a good alternative to the buffet lunch.

Entertainment - We didn't have a lot to do with entertainment team as it's not why we go on holiday, I will say that they worked really hard to get peole involved and those who were into the "Themed" entertainment seemed to really enjoy it. We spent most of our time at the quiet pool or jetty bar though. Sea activities, glass bottomed boat, water-skiing, pedaloes, kayaks etc. all free and very good indeed. Please note as far as we could see all were working every day we were there, although on red flag days some activities were not available for safety reasons.

Beach / Sea - A major disappointment for me I'm afraid. The beach is man made and despite there being several coves there isn't a great deal of beach. As you walk into the sea it soon reverts to the coast's natural state and becomes very rocky. We might have been a bit unlucky with the weather, but the waves were quite vigorous most of the time which made the sea a cloudy brown. When the sea was calm for a couple of days though, the water was crystal clear and good for snorkelling. I guess, therefore, it's pot luck as to whether you get the crystal clear Caribbean sea of the brochures or stirred up brown soup.

Service - Can't fault the service anywhere in the resort. Staff were attentive in restaurants, buffet and bar. Actually can't imagine why anyone would find fault in this category except for...

Front Desk - Poor in my opinion. Everyone seemed to have a can't be bothered attitude. We had a problem with our cottage front door sticking after 3 days of rain to the extent that we couldn't get in the room. Had to ask 3 times to get maintenence out to get us in the room. Eventually they came and took the door off and planed some wood off but only after we'd been asking for over an hour. Still you don't deal with front desk that often during a holiday so I only marked service down to a 4. Would have been 5 for everyone else and 1 for front desk.

Rooms - Very tired I'm afraid, although they are cleaned really well and the bedding / towel change is good and regular. It's a 3 star resort and the rooms reflect that. Having said that they are only for sleeping in so not really a problem unless it rains. Leaky roofs was a major topic of conversation for a couple of days while we were there and gaps in doors / roofs do allowing pesky flying critters to get in.

Repairs - There was a lot of work going on to repair the breakwaters (Needed to protect the man made beach) while we were there. Again it's pot luck I guess - this is an all year round resort and they have to do repairs sometime, we were just unlucky it was while we were there.

Highlights - 1)Jetty bar, especially the seating at the end - great place to sit and read and get a tan although the music does get repetative so an ipod or similar is a good idea. 2)Quiet bar, although if there is no breeze it gets very hot very quickly. 3)Water based activities generally. 4)Martha Brae rafting and Blue Mountain Biking (External activities) were both very enjoyable although don't do the biking if you don't like heights or haven't been on a bike for a while (Warning to Brits for the cycling, the rear brake operates by pushing the pedals backwards which is a bit weird at first).

I scored 4 for an overall score, it's really more of a 3 1/2. Out of 10 I'd probably score about 6 1/2 to 7. I personally wouldn't go again as there wasn't enough wow factor to make me want to return to RDCC or Jamaica generally (I'd far rather go back to Goa again). A colleague, however, asked me this morning what it was like as they are considering RDCC themselves. Overall I said it was worth a visit and it was pretty much on a par with 3-4 star All Inclusive the world over.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to drop me a message.

9 Thank bazchops
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
#22 of 66 in Montego Bay
4.0 of 5 stars 791 reviews
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!