“Paradise..Best Holiday Ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Club Caribbean

You added Royal Decameron Club Caribbean to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street Runaway Bay | Jamaica, Runaway Bay Jamaica, Jamaica   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Paradise..Best Holiday Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here for two weeks in September, despite reading bad reviews I like to make up my own mind.
I can say without a doubt that all those bad reviews were wrong, This is a fantastic resort in the best location.
The resort itself is extremely clean, beautiful beaches all 3 cove, they are kept constantly clean and racked every morning, with plenty of sunloungers, The gardens were always being tended to and maintenance always around if you needed anything doing.

The pools are kept clean and always a life guard around on the beach and at the pools with plenty of sunloungers.

The food can be a little bland at times maybe one or two dishes but there are over 10 dishes at a time to choose from, but there is more than enough to chose from and more than enough to eat, The Breakfast was the best especially the omelettes made to order.mmmm

The drinks are plenty-full and lots to choose from especially the cocktail menu and the Bar staff will make you anything you want even fresh fruit smoothies ( Wonderfull).

I haven't a bad word to say about any of the staff, we never met a rude one and never ever felt threatened by any one,, even outside the hotel. where we went often.We got to know the locals and drank in two great bars outside the resort..Big Links and British Bulldog.The staff work tirelessly to make sure you have a great holiday and will always help you..Never expecting a tip..But tipping when you know how much they get paid is nothing( a few dollars does not kill anyone to tip. Especially when you get to know them (and you will).

The Entertainment at times was a little bit of a let down but you could still have a laugh and that's what a great holiday is about,

The cottages were always cleaned and a great size, plenty of wardrobe space. Flat screen TV and super large comfortable bed.. Hammocks all around the ground to laze on and chill out.

If you plan to go to this resort, get out of the resort and use the locals to get around and walk to the local bars you will be safe and well looked after. Be polite and respectful like any other country you would go to..Yes it is a poor country but the are the friendliest funniest people.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone and have already booked to go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Czech first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed from 22/08/2013 - 5/09/13 as a couple and were married on the beach during our stay. We arrived in rainy weather and our initial reaction on reaching the hotel and seeing our room was a little disappointed. It seemed small and rather tired of decor, but as we unpacked, we discovered there was more than enough room for all our belongings (including our wedding outfits). The room was clean and had large flat screen tv, very efficient air-con, iron, fridge with complimetary water which you could get refilled at any time, and a huge two person shower with loads of hot water. The housekeeping staff were excellent and clean towels and sheets were provided daily, along with toweling swans and flowers on the bed.
The food was delicious, plentiful, and well presented and the waiting staff (thank you particulary Kermit and Collin) were attentive and friendly without being overbearing. Several days there was a themed buffet and there was always something tasty on the grill being cooked fresh.
The grounds were extensive and very well maintained - even the beaches got a morning raking - and the facilities more than adequate, with a gym, tennis courts and a kids club on site. The whole ambiance of the hotel was calm and relaxing, being all on one level with garden rooms (we stayed in the Courtyard where the rooms were a little larger) it didn't feel like a standard hotel - very much nicer!
We loved the fact there were three separate beaches as part of the hotel grounds so there were never more than a few people on any of them at a time, giving you the feeling of being on your own tropical island There were plenty of bars and toilets within easy strolling distance of the beaches so it was easy to spend all day relaxing by the side of the warm Caribbean sea We spent many happy hours whiling away the time and watching the antics of the tiny crabs scuttling about.
The evening entertainment was fine (in the two weeks we didn't see the same show twice) and the animation team were friendly but not pushy.
Our wedding was just as we hoped, barefoot on the beach and very relaxed and laid back with Davian of guest relations ensuring the ceremony was exactly as we had requested
There were plenty of trips that the Rep detailed to us, but with our minds set firmly on tanning and getting wed, we didn't do any of them so cannot say what they were like.
All in all - we had a fabulous time during our stay and have no complaints whatsoever. We have no hesitation in recommending The Royal Decameron Club Caribbean as a destination if you want a totally chilled holiday.

Room Tip: Personally, I would go for the courtyard rooms, rather than the cottages. I think they are slightly...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

we travelled to the Royal Decameron Club hotel from 20 July 2013 returning on 1 August 2013. This was our fourth visit to Jamaica and a holiday we were very much looking forward to. After a long journey we arrived at our hotel, tired but wanting to unpack and unwind. We were taken to our room where we were left. The toilet was broken so we didn't unpack, awaiting 2 hours before this was fixed. Not wanting to let this overshadow our holiday we got on with the unpacking so that we could go for our dinner. The cottage style room was spacious but extremely shabby, having said that we didn't want to be spending a lot of time in our room so we tried not to let that get us down. The food in the main restaurant was very poor in terms of selection. Added to this was the reluctance of the waiters to serve us which made it a less than pleasant dining experience. Despite asking several times for drinks, the waiters either just ignored us or forgot to return with our drinks. A few times we had to go outside to the bar to get our own drinks. The waiters were more attentive to their Jamaican guests.
The food choice was also below par. Although there was a Jamaican a la carte restaurant above the main buffet restaurant, the main feature of the buffet was Jamaican food, every day of our holiday. There were several days in a row that I could not eat dinner.
Finally, the entertainment was very repetitive. I did mention it to the rep but she wasn't bothered. All in all an extremely disappointing holiday - the worst one we have had in Jamaica. When we returned I wrote a letter to Thomson holidays explaining our experience and expressing our feelings about the holiday. I received a call from the Customer Complaints Department on Friday 20 September when I spoke to someone called Guy. He apologised for the fact that we hadn't enjoyed our holiday but told me that there had been no other complaints, even though I know others had experienced the same and had completed their evaluation questionnaires. I was told we were staying at a 3 star hotel, almost saying that my expectations were too high - I told him that I had spent time in a 3 star hotel on my past 3 visits and this holiday didn't even come close. We talked about my complaint at length. He told me they wouldn't consider paying compensation even though I hadn't asked for any! I asked what they would do in response to the points I raised, hoping they would try and ensure other customers didn't experience what we had. He said he would E Mail the resort manager but he told me to put my review on a site such as Trip Advisor which other potential customers could read. I was very surprised given that Thomson holidays are in the business of selling holidays but I didn't want to disappoint them. Please read this review before you decide to go.

Room Tip: All rooms seem similar but you could request one on edge of the beach.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We have just returned from our 14 night stay at the Royal Decameron and I can only say it exceeded all my expectations. The place was a paradise. The staff, no matter who you spoke to were so helpful and just couldn't do enough for you. The waiters and waitresses work exceptionally hard and were always so cheerful. The food choice was wonderful and varied from day-to-day, having breakfast to Bob Marley tunes was a great way to start the day! I had read previous bad experiences on trip advisor regarding this resort but I can honestly say I never encountered anything like the problems others had mentioned. I simply cannot speak any higher of the place. The recreational staff are full of energy and go out of their way to ensure you are entertained and happy. The huts are basic and spacious and very clean.
Whilst we were there, we experienced the back end of a Hurricane and the hotel was struck by lightning which left no power for several hours but this in no way affected daily operations and the staff worked really hard to ensure minimal disruption (even the kitchen staff, cooks & chefs came out and did an impromptu dance routine!)
My observations are only really regarding trips. Do not jump into booking your holiday excursions to soon. Our tour rep had us signing up on the first day and sold us three trips. It pays to shop around as there are better offers to be had, especially via the locals in the foyer. One trip in particular I want to highlight; 'Cool Runnings' - This is apparently an Award winning trip via First Choice but was a big disappointment. We were told that Tuesdays were for 'First Choice Customers Only' and the boat would be exclusive to us. When we got on-board it was full of Americans who had clearly been on board a while, most of the seats etc were taken up and the bar was in full swing. We ended up sitting in a tight space on the deck. Also, the crew spent most of the time trying to sell souvenirs' and there was no food on board. (unless you count small packs of Pringles @$3 each)The 'cool runnings cruise' to Dunns River Falls consisted of 5 minutes motoring from the mooring to a reef for a 30 minute snorkel experience, followed by about 10 minutes more motoring to the falls. The falls were brilliant though and I recommend attempting the climb, its not as hard as its made out to be. However we found out after that we could have got a bus to the falls from the hotel for $10, so in my opinion, 'Cool Runnings' was a waste of money and certainly is not 'exclusive' or 'Award Winning'. We took this up with the rep upon our return but she simply did not have an answer to why another tour operator was on board the same trip as ours. Another one to be aware of is the shopping trips to Ocho Rios, again booked through your rep. The bus arrived and took us on time but along the way the driver picked up our 'guide'. He introduced himself and took us around the first shopping area then said he would 'guide' us through the market. He took us through the market and no-one bothered us but he wouldn't let us stop and look at anything as he said he was taking us somewhere first. It turned out to be HIS market stall and was very insistent that we bought something. After we bought a wood carving that we really didn't want just to appease him, he just left us! It was run-the-gauntlet to get out of there as the attempts by market traders to get you into their various stalls was relentless, My wife and I were exhausted after we got out of there. Again we took this up with the rep and she said there was not supposed to be a guide on this trip? - It appears driver had arranged it himself . We also did the 'Free-Wheelin' cycling in the Blue Mountains, an awesome experience but what they don't tell you is that it takes three hours to get there on the bus, two to three hours cycling and then three hours to get back again!
So in summary, the resort, the staff, food et all were fantastic and I cannot recommend the place enough, but be wary on the trips and excursions - Shop around!

Room Tip: Hut 118 - Its literally 20 paces from the beach but not classed as 'Beach Front' due to a sm...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bronx,NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Me and my boyfriend’s unpleasant stay at The Royal Decameron from 1/20/2013 to 1/23/2013. This vacation was booked on January 4, 2013 with Expedia. I had previously stayed at the Royal Decameron - Montego Bay and was pleased with my stay at this location. The resort is conveniently located near the airport and also a short walk from the gift shops and restaurants. For that reason we booked this resort for our January trip.
On 1/20/2012 when we arrived to check in at the Royal Decameron - Montego Bay we were informed by the front desk that guest services need to speak with us. Guest services informed us that no rooms were available at the Montego Bay location due to a situation that occurred the night before. We were not told what the situation was and were very disappointment because our plans were to stay in Montego Bay. We had made plans to meet up with some friends that were staying in Montego Bay and I am familiar with the Montego Bay location. The only option we had as per guest services was to stay at Royal Decameron - Fun Caribbean in Runaway Bay. We had never stayed at this location and didn’t know what to expect. We were told by guest services that the drive was 45 minutes away which we weren't expecting after a long 4 hour flight to Montego Bay. As per guest services due to the inconvenience we would have a bottle of rum on arrival to Fun Caribbean and we could also book a 30 minute massage. We had no other option but to go to Fun Caribbean because they didn’t have a room for us at Montego Bay.
The drive to Fun Caribbean turned out to be over an hour, the rum was delivered to us the night before we were leaving, so we didn’t get to drink it. We were not happy with the location or service that Fun Caribbean provided us. Upon arrival to our room we had no hot until the late evening so we couldn’t shower after the long flight and ride to the hotel. The location of the hotel is in the middle of no where, so we couldn’t walk to any of the gift shops or restaurants. On 1/22/2013 after the room was cleaned we didn’t get any towels. We had to call the front desk to have towels spent to us. Over an hour later we finally received only two towels. I asked for more towels and but we never received them. The day after we arrived the TV remote stopped working and it was never fixed.
We are very disappointed with our stay at Royal Decameron.
I have been emailing this company with my disappointed stay since 1/2013 and it is 9/2013 and still haven't heard from them. I will not recommend Royal Decameron to anyone and will warn everyone I can.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

This was the holiday I had dreamed of since the age of 16, when I watched Tom Cruise in Cocktails.
My hubby took me for my 40th birthday!!!!
It was the picture perfect place, with little white huts and beautiful sandy beaches.
The reason this is only a 'very good' and not an 'excellent' is because the way it was managed...people getting shifted to other hotels because they over book constantly and because of the unbareable noises from outside the complex (72 hour parties and barking dogs)
After a week here we asked to be moved to their sister hotel down the road, just so we could sleep.
Gutting!!!! as the place was in general AMAZING x

Room Tip: try to get one on the sea front as the ones around the edges of the complex get the most noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Deerwood, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had friends with concerns that this could be a "bust" resort. They were very gun shy but finally said yes and we booked. It was a totally great experience for us the best all inclusive that we have be to thus far. I have no delusion that this place is the best but for our budget it was awesome. Our "nay sayer" friends also had a great time. I would encourage any newbie on a budget to look at this opportunity. It's proximity to other activities is also a plus.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!