“Jamaican me happy” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
Clevedon, United Kingdom
“Jamaican me happy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Came here for a wedding and 60th and was not disappointed. Huts on the beach and sea were spacious and comfy with air condition and kept very clean. Dexter and the entertainment team were amazing. Lots to do all day and night. The service for the restaurant was superb with lots of food to choose from. The bar was excellent. We stayed at the jetty most of the time. Rum and slush in the sea. Snorkling is recommended around the bay or further out. Lots to see. I reccomend going to the dunns river falls as well.

• Stayed October 2012

2,491 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Firstly i would like to say that i haven't read any other reveiws as of yet, but heard a lot of people discussing that they don't understand why people have written bad ones. so i though i would write about my experiance.

Anouther thing that i feel i need to mkae clear is that, before i left, so many poeple told me it is not safe to leave the resort on your own. this is complete and utter rubbish, i ventured out of the resort to a local beach, heck i even took the local buses (which is an experiance in its self) and no i did not get kid napped or shot. In fact it was just like home, no one bothered us and got on with their own lives.

The staff are wonderfull, friendly, funny, happy, bubbley and will go out of their way to ensure you have an amazing holiday. I can not fault them in anyway, they all do their jobs IMPECCABLE. From the entertainers, waiters, bar staff to the gardeners, cleaners and sanatation crew. I am not going to single anyone one out, but i can honestly say i went there and met them as strangers, and now have come home with an extended family!

The resort its self is beautiful, it has 4 beaches and 2 pools (1 adult and 1 child), both pools have there own bars, and there are 2 bars either side of the beaches, so there is no need to walk miles just for a refreshment or top up ;)

The food was great, you have 3 restaurants, first one being the buffet. This is open every morning 7-11, afternoon 12-3 and evening 7-10. Don't hold me to that, but i think thats about right.

breakfast ranges from fried eggs, omuletes, pancakes, waffles, bacon, scrambled egg,
breakfast cakes, cereals, fruit, yogurt and many, many more.

lunch you can choose from the buffet station which changes daily or you can get a sadwich or toasty from the sandwich station. Fresh pasta where you can creat your own, meat joints, salad, soup and puddings.

dinner time they once again have a forever changing selection of food, with different style nights, jerk chicking, jerk pork, birritos. There is so much i can't name it all.

If however you are not a fan of buffet, get up and get it yourself meals there are 2 a la carte restaurants you can choses from at night time. You have to book your slot in the morning at reception. Here you have waiters who bring you the menu where you chose your starter and main from. All you have to do is sit back and relax while your food is cooking.

the seafood a la carte - i am not a fan of seafood, but my parents are, luckily for me they also did a beef steak up here (which is to die for)
tia food a la carte - this was, for me, the very best place to eat. I had all but 1 of the dishes and they were all beautiful.

If how ever you are hungry between meal times, and you get the mid night munchies due to the rum there is a bbq bar that opens 2pm-5pm and 12am-2am. so you can get all your burger, hot dog and other bbq goodness that you need.

The rooms (or should i say cottages) are lovely, so much nicer that a huge hotel where one naighbour brought all their mates back for an after party and the people upstairs are having loud hanky panky (come on guys, you know what i mean). They are just you own little cottage with your bed, bathroom and living area. They arn't the biggest but they are lovely, you have a tv (with american cable), hair drier, telephone, english and american plugs, remote control air con and your own outside sitting area. They are cleaned everyday by the cleaners, moping your floor, giving you frest bedding and towel and giving it a wipe down.

throughout the day and at night time you have the Fun crew, the entertainers, getting up to do stuff. Beach volley ball, pool volley ball, dancing, darts matchs, drinking games, competitions, you name it they do it! Which is great if thats what your into, and enjoy doing. But if not, do not fear, there is also a jetty bar on the beach which you can escape to (this was my favourite place) its a bar which has single person swings around it, and a decked are with table and chaires. at the end of the jetty you can sit a chill looking into the ocean, looking at the starts, watching the incredible lightning stormes happening out at sea (you can just.. escape)

But thats all for now, i will just leave it with i am defiantly returning next year!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

If you are thinking of booking this hotel and are reading any negative reviews - ignore them and book it immediately! I can't understand any poor reviews of this hotel and can only think that people purposefully travelled there to nit pick and complain!

I have never written a review on here but decided I had to after reading some of the false reviews people had written about this hotel. I've broken it down into sections but doubt I can really give this place justice!

Flight over with Thomsons from Manchester - Excellent with numerous announcements on where we were etc. throughout the flight, 2 good meals and free water. Plenty of room in seats and a good choice of music, games, movies and TV shows.

Staff in hotel - Best people I have ever met. The staff will do anything for you, are so friendly and although probably work on average for £40 per week never pressured me for a tip (although I did obviously leave tips as they were brilliant!)

Food - There was a large range of food with different themes each night. Highlights included an omelette station and waffle station at breakfast, sandwich and pasta station at lunch and the carved meats and grilled fish at dinner. This is not to mention the snack bar that serves burgers, chips and pizzas all day (only ate here once as the other food was so good).

Drinks - Again huge range of drinks from red stripe on tap to any cocktail that you would like to be made for you. Unlike in European All Inclusive hotels you can definitely taste the alcohol in these drinks!

Room and grounds - Garden cottage was huge with walk in wardrobe and flat screen TV although to be honest who cares when you are in Jamaica! The grounds were kept immaculate by the excellent staff who looked after them - The Jetty bar is excellent and if you're lucky you can see a beautiful sunset from there on a night.

Pools - Kept extremely clean and were constantly sampled throughout the day by the life guards, who were constantly on watch especially when any guests were in the sea.

Entertainment - The ENT crew were excellent and worked tirelessly to try and entertain people. You did not have to join in with anything if you did not want to and there was always the Jetty bar if you wanted a quiet night. A special mention to Bird man, Tommy, Sheeba and Baby Rasta!

Trips - Did a number of trips but probably the best ones were the Southern Adventure with a tipple, riding horses in the sea and the Bob Marley experience in Nine Mile.

Runaway Bay - There are 2 bars just outside of the hotel - Big Links and the British Bulldog and they are both worth a visit. It is totally safe to go outside of the hotel and I never felt threatened at any time.

All in all a fabulous holiday and will definitely be looking to go back very soon!

Preston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Ok I think firstly I must point out this review will take in the whole holiday experience, and given we booked with First Choice there will be some bad points :)

First Choice Impressions
Booking with them as we have done before was easy as can be expected, we booked the whole holiday online and everything went smoothly, that was until we needed to interact with their travel shops
We checked out their website (via your own portal) on the trips available and the days each trip runs, my partner and I wanted to do the 1 day rest > 1 trip day > 1 day rest and so forth, So we planned with 3 trips we would do that we both could enjoy and would fit into our itinerary
We went ahead to the travel shop and booked these trips on the guarantee that as we have booked and paid for them in the UK they would definitely go ahead and our cash was safe. We arrived at resort and the first morning went to the 'meeting' with the rep, whereby we handed the booking forms for the trips; none of the trips we booked had matching days on the island.
Thankfully our resort rep was very good, and managed to juggle them about, however this now meant we had trips from Saturday through to Tuesday incl. Not ideal, but we wanted to experience them so meh! :) However, the one trip "Glistening Waters" we were told not enough interest in this trip and was unlikely to go ahead, so on day of trip we saw our rep who contacted them to find out wouldn't go ahead, and could we move it! (Remember in UK we were told that the booking time/date was confirmed)
So if you’re planning on going out, feel free to browse the trips in the UK but in my experience do NOT book them until on resort.

The Trips
We booked the following -

Kingston Town Day
This trip in my experience was not worth the cash, basically your driven for 2-2.5 hours in a small minibus from the hotel to the town, then driven around town pointing out the places until you get to the museum of Bob Marley, this place is definitely not worth $20 entrance fee per person (bear in mind I’m a lover of Bobs philosophy and his music) I would say visit the museum just say you have been, but no more, it takes you around his house and tells you how he lived, but no pictures can be taken in side building, only on outside.

Nine Mile Village
This is/was for me the highlight of ANY trip on the week, this is another 2 hour or so drive up into the hills to visit the 'basic' village where Bob Marley grew up, and is now buried, when you arrive at the burial house you have the opportunity to buy some 'home-grown' or home cooked Jamaican wonderfulness (this is the ONLY LEGAL place you can smoke Ganja in THE WHOLE JAMAICAN ISLAND) - This place beats the museum hands down, in both the content of the tour your given, but also the atmosphere, there is less of a cash grab feel about the place, but again like the tour above you are not allowed to take photos around either Bobs or his mother’s mausoleum
Cool Running’s
This was an awesome day from start to finish, but also my partner’s favourite trip of the holiday, the walk up the falls was awesome, not as hard as it might seem, but all the time fun on the way up. Then back on the catamaran for a party all the way, the guys and girls on the boat will even teach you how to shake your booty Jamaican style :) but just a quick word of caution, DO NOT BUY / OR EVEN SPEAK to the guys who near the jetty pretend they have something for you, you will find your being 'stung' for a few dollars of tat, Granted if you wanted a momentum of day then fine, but personally I wouldn't bother you will get a DVD from the guys who walk you up which is far better.
Glistening waters.
This as I said back at the start was a problematic night out from the start, however got to say when your there it is awesome to look at, but a bit like the bob museum I felt was a cash grab, they take photos of you swimming in the lake and for $20 you will get 6 photos, unless you have an infra-red camera flash you have no hope of taking photos' from a standard camera, but on this note, myself and partner have paid for the photos (they are either delivered within 48 hours on dvd to your hotel or emailed out) we did this trip with 36 hours of holiday left so asked for photo's to be emailed, as of yet, 3 days later, still no sign of the photographs in either mailbox, so currently seems like $20 wasted :(

So as you can mixed bag on the trips, but one thing I really must make clear on EVERY trip the guides you have with you are pure awesome (or the ones I had) all of them are happy to explain things, tell you things about the island, or even make sure you do things you wouldn't do at home (e.g. me and my partner grinding on the boat from cool running’s {nb we are both 40 lol})

So now onto the hotel. Again I will break down the hotel into sections.

We stopped in the chalet number 126

So Room
The room are very tidy wooden built structures, (plenty of pictures around of them) inside they are very clean and tidy, yes there are a few that need a little bit of touching up, but bear in mind where you are, and that it is not the UK or 5 star rated, you get what you pay for, with us it was a case of 1 light switch didn't work and a plug socket was little 'dodgy' now personally I get angry when I see reviews of places slated because of things like above, come on get over it, we just learnt not to use light and not use plug socket, but if these type of little things get your back up, then this hotel is clearly not for you
The rooms are cleaned every day, the schedule is very much Jamaican in that on first day it was about 11-12.00 that the cleaner was around, the following day was almost 1400, so you might have to dodge her if you’re planning on popping in and out of room, however, they clean the room near spotless, everything can be swapped from towels to the free toiletries.
TV has decent selection of channels - but who goes to Caribbean to watch TV (we just used it during siesta time about 11-12.00)
Shower cubicle is very good size myself and partner are of the bigger size and we had plenty of moving about and washing space, not like some hotels with their small glass cubicles that you can't stretch in, these were good sized (even for the lovers out there to share)

So the room I give 7.5/10

Staff

These guys make the hotel, from the first light until the last guest goes to bed, these guys cannot do enough to make your stay awesome, and they are constantly cheerful, talkative and happy even singing you the odd song :)
The cleaning that is constantly goes on shows how much these guys actually care about their resort, from the brushing of rogue seaweed on the beach to the mopping of floors in the reception, they don't just do it once in the morning, you will always see people with mops/brushes/dusters in their hands, the resort is clean and these guys work their darnedest to make sure it is.
Yes the like a drink or 2 sometimes, so if they ask you to go to bar for them, please do, getting them a free drink is no skin of your back, but makes their day a little more bearable with the hard to handle customers :)
During mealtimes they will constantly walk around refilling your glass with iced water / fresh drinks from the bar, barely will you have to move once you grab your plateful of wonderful food.

Staff I will give 9.5/10

This is often a contentious issue with all inclusive given they have to fulfil 3 criteria for the meals
1 - Variation for the different cultures
2 - Volume of food
3 - Variation of each days menu
This place from all the other all-inclusive I have done, have nailed it on the head (been to 6 all-inclusive resorts)
Their food offers both the standard food such as 'rice 'n' peas' / fish / salad to the more authentic 'acky and saltfish' for breakfast :(
Every day we were there the food had good variation, was hot (almost the same as home meals for temperature) and very very well cooked. The restaurant has 2 days a week of authentic Jamaican food, Saturday and Wednesday - these days you will get the food such as Curried Goat / Saltfish / dumplings etc. The rest of the time there is a good mix of 'regular' food and Jamaican flavours to keep even the most fussy eaters happy (heck just salad will do if you wish)
Suppose the only weakness in the food was probably the desert side these seem to be very similar each day, but overall myself and my partner never got bored of the food.

Food Rating 8/10

Resort

Overall the resort is top notch, yes it’s not sandals but it doesn't pretend to be, the site have a sister site the grand Bahia, and personally I think this place wins hands down.
It has a feel of a smaller friendly place (there is only about 200 rooms) the staff don't take long to get to know you and are always happy to come over for a chat, the Bahia is 5 storey monster of a resort and for me doesn't give the feel of the Caribbean secludedness, the hotel has created 5 little 'beach coves' that they have life guards watching over, each cove is about 50-100m in length and is sheltered from the sea and is often dead calm and lovely for the families with smaller children to let them play
But as my title says, I don’t think I can find a better place in Jamaica that offers such value for money, if this place was another 20% more expensive I would still consider it a helleva good place to go :)
So resort for me gets a tidy 8.5/10

Just a few little tips / tricks from our time away

1 - when you book in if you have a mobile and want to keep in contact with friends you can buy a 24hours worth of wireless at reception for $20 this code gives you 24hours of access over 7 days, so you can log for 1/2hours a day post updates make your friends jealous, this we didn't find out until the 2nd day on resort after I had paid over £45 in roaming charges just updating the status 1 or 2
2 - Try if you can (depending on your financial state) wait until you get out there to book your trips, for instance the dolphin experience has offers on at the moment that upgrade your packages of trips for free, if you book in the UK you don’t get the upgrade you would if you were out there
3 - Give the guys a drink or 2 it doesn't cost you anything but make their day, but also you might get some freebies back in return like the guy who was rebuilding the roof would get a coconut from the trees on site and just open her up for you to drink fresh
4 - Don’t go prejudging on the British / American standards, bear in mind this is a country still trying to find its way after some terrible history, if you want your plugs to be perfect your lights to work 24/7/365 then I would suggest looking somewhere else like Dubai
5 - Have no fear of the bad reviews on this site, everyone I saw / spoke to feels the same (or very similar) to myself and my partner on this holiday, its wonderful and WE WILL REVISIT THIS PLACE AGAIN SOON
6 - Take a good mix of both US & Jamaican dollars (we went 75% US / 25% JSD)

Off course if you have any specific questions feel free to ask and I will try and help. But most importantly be cool, and have fun Jamaican style.

Room Tip: any rooms is a good room from our experience
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Where do I start? We arrived on 15th August 2013 for two weeks, as soon as we arrived at montego airport we collected our luggage and the coach was waiting, it took around an hour I think to get to the resort, as soon as we arrived we were greeted by Dave to take our bags and go over to check
In, we also got given a rum punch cocktail which was divine!!

Straight to the room (145) amazing cottage located right by the adult pool which was very quiet and only seconds from the beach. Beautiful inside and out, flat screen tv on the wall massive bed and an extra single, walk in wardrobe with ironing board and iron, great bathroom, no problems there either.

Food was great me and my mother didn't even try out the al carte restaurants there is so much choice at the main restaurant we didn't feel the need too, no "flies around the food" or "cabbage" beautiful real Jamaican food! The goats curry is a must try!! There is always plenty and no need ever to queue up for food!! Breakfast, dinner and tea amazing variety.

The snack bar at the bottom of the beach was also amazing, only served 3 things daily there burgers and fries, hot dog and fries and jerk chicken and rice, but after a rum hangover it is all you need!!

Drinks massive variety, cocktail list at the bar, but be sure to get to know the bartenders and ask for there specials they are gorgeous!! Big shout out to Ryan, Damian, Wayne, Lenny, Melissa, Jason, and all the waiters mentioning mcbean, kurt, devlon, these guys work VERY HARD and rarely get tipped, so if you do go please take the time out to get to know them and tip them
Occasionally.

Entertainment for me was mind blowing, this was mine and my mums first time in Jamaica and the crew was amazing, showing true Jamaican party lifestyle they dance incredibly well!! Birdman, Tommy, scooby and princess I remember well, very nice guys and will go out of there way to say hello and get to know you.

The managers Dave and Delmark great guys they work very very hard also.

Always sunbeds free around the pool and beach, lovely reggae music played daily.

Jetty bar was my favourite, swing chairs spent a few nights there drinking rum cream a MUST TRY with ice!!

Maids and garden Maintenance do a great job also keeping the resort clean and tidy.

All in all amazing holiday everyone so friendly we had the time of our lives!!!

And please try the 9 mile bob Marley tour, you will not regret it!

We are looking to return in January next year but are debating the invasion of the French, but still there is no way anything can ruin a holiday at this amazing place,

If you are debating to go here, DO IT!! You will not regret it.

Jamrock is the place to be :-)

• Stayed August 2013
North of England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed here for 2 weeks in August with some initial trepidation, which was proved unfounded.
Regular readers of my reviews know that I have walking difficulties and am accompanied by my wife and by my wheelchair or scooter. This resort is fairly small and proved no problems for me whatsoever. Yes, there were a few un accessible places (Seafood Restaurant lots of steps, Thai Restaurant a couple of steps) if you are unable to walk but I am sure the staff would help as they were friendly and helpful. There are ramps every where but access to any of the beaches usually involved at least one step.

ROOMS: We were in room 144 at the south east of the resort. The first 3 nights(Fri. Sat. & Sun.) were terrible, the noise from over the wall went on until 5 or 6 in the morning but it was Independence week. After that the noise was from dogs 7-8am. & 5-7pm. every night but you got used to it, for those of sensitive hearing stay closer to the main bar area or the beach. The rooms are basic but adequate, large bedroom, walk in wardrobe with iron and board, good sized bathroom. No fridge but one could be hired if needed.

BEACH: 4 or 5 small beaches. The most easterly, by the Thai bar, is extremely hot if the wind is from the east. The other beaches have this wind which makes them very pleasant. Sand not the best we've seen and sea not the clearest we've seen but quite acceptable.

FOOD: Not the best we've had but you can always manage to find something to fill up with (not enough spicy, local food for me). Thai Restaurant good but boring menu, lunchtime snacks ample. Seafood Restaurant not impressed (slow service, mediocre menu).

STAFF: Most very friendly, one or two a bit dour (even with tips).

ENTERTAINMENT: Animation team with guests (Man v woman, Couples etc.) alternating nightly with good dance show or artists brought in (9.30 -10.30). Resident band 8.30 - 9.30 every night (very good).

Would we go again ---- definitely for 2 weeks at a time, any longer might become boring.

No report on trips as we've done them previously and we're getting a bit long in the tooth for charging round in coaches.

Room Tip: See main report. Not rooms 144- ish until building work next door is finished ?????
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

A group of us went to a marriage retreat and had a great time.The food was excellent and the staff service was very good.The entertainment was ok.The beach and pool were great as well.You can walk around the property which gives a good work out.Also tennis court is available for use.The rooms are standard and are comfortable.I will be going back there,definatey!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!