“Say i like I saw it 2” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
Isleham, England, United Kingdom
“Say i like I saw it 2”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Well last year I wrote a not too favourable review of this complex, however having visited this hotel for the past 14 years I decided to go again this year. To my delight a lot of issues I raised last year had been addressed. Firstly they are still running a program for the french which I dont agree with (I visit jamaica for the Jamaican lifestyle not french, english,american or any other - if thats what I wanted I'd visit that particular country). I chose to visit 8th may 2013 and the french crew left by the 10th. The complex itself is beautiflul the grounds rooms and public areas all very well maintained. The boys on the beaches keep them immaculate. The food although good is not as good as it was 10 years ago but better than some more expensive hotels I have stayed in and the restaurants are spotlessly clean. The staff are amazing, friendly helpful and the bar staff very entertaining and the fun crew a vast improvement on last years. We were lucky enough to have a beach front cottage this year and were waking to amazing sunrises and watching beautiful sunsets from our balcony. Factually the only issue we and others had to complain about was difficulty in obtaining a HOT drink, I decided not to sit and moan with other guests and went to address the issue with the main desk, the very next day a coffee maker and hot water were installed at a hot drink station. All in all a very very enjoyable vacation and yes this complex is highly recommended by me.

Room Tip: Garden or beach front cottages are a must
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

2,497 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I booked this beach resort because I love the concept of individual bungalows in well maintained gardens.

Runaway Bay is about 90 mins transfer from Montego Bay airport. When you get to the hotel reception/entrance, there is no wow factor. But the area is kept very clean. If you are lucky, you might even get a cocktail as you are waiting to check in.

Our first impression of our bungalow no 134 was one of shock and disappointment. Its only redeeming feature is that it is far from the entertaining area and therefore quiet.
1) Electrics are unsafe. The bathroom light kept flickering with a sparking sound inside the switch (this was fixed after complaining). The double socket behind the bed did not have a front plate, see pic. The wiring to the stand alone light stand had been bodge with tape, see pic. USA sockets are used.
2) Doors did not fit the frame, see pics; some attempt at fixing this was carried out after complaining. The door to the bathroom was rotten at the bottom and was very dirty.
3) The entire bungalow needed proper redecorating to cover the cracks, holes, dirts, ... see pics. The fittings/furnitures are old and dirty. There is a maid that comes every day to clean but to be fair to her, it is beyond that. There is not a single skirting board which is not cover in dirt.
4) Bathroom smell of bad drain. I discovered if you empty a sink full of water, the drain come out of the shower. The toilet seat has stains on it. The tiles joins are brown and the tiles have never been cleaned/polished. Another guest told me, their bathroom taps were rusty and handle were falling off.

When you complain to them, I don't think they get it? May be they live in such poor accommodation themselves, this looks like luxury to them? But you would think that the manager is on top of this, nop!

There is an offer to get a free transfer to their sister hotel in Montego Bay, go for it; well worth it!

On the plus side, the air conditioning works, the bed was comfortable and the large screen TV has a great choice of news, sport and movie channels. There is a safe but the lock is charged at $2/day.

The food was a pleasant surprise. It is varied, loads of choice and goes from average to very good. I was impressed how the chef/cook that carve the meat can produce such thin slices and such small portions but at least it tasted good.

There is entertainment every day by the main pool. A kid club, a small gym, tennis court, ... and of course the beach with a few free water sports.

The drinks are virtually all local produced. The red wine comes in (milk) carton (they try not to show you that) but is drinkable.

The WIFI is a joke and only work slowly in or very near the reception area. It was offline 4 days whilst I was there. It cost an incredible $5 for 1 hour or $20 for 24 hours (which expires after 7 days). So you need to remember to turn off your wireless!

I can only comment about bungalow 134 as I did not see the inside of others. Despite this, you can go there and have a great time. The weather is fantastic, the sea blue/clear, the beach clean, the people/staff are (mostly) very friendly, the food is good, ...

Room Tip: don’t get Bungalow 134 and be as far away from the entertainment area if you want to sleep
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindenhurst
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Had some reservations about booking this resort , partially due to the low star rating and the nitpicking of other guests about the condition of the facilities. We were there for the last week of April.. When we arrived at the airport we found that we had missed our shuttle due to our flight being 1 hour late. This was where we had our first Jamaican "No problem Mon" moment. After pulling up our reservation were placed on a partner shuttle within 15 minutes.

As with many other guests , our arrival at the resort was less than glamorous, driving up a short side street to the entrance lobby. We wisked through registration, and were led to our apartment #408 in the Hyacinth building. I was initially slightly disappointed in the large 2 room suite as I had hoped for one of the beachfront cabins. But that evening, sitting on the balcony, I was at home.

Yes the facility is older than the fancier and more expensive hotels. But none of them have the charm,warmth or friendliness of this resort. Before I closed my eyes the first night I was already planning my next visit. I really enjoyed the fact that the place dates back to the 1960's. Which reminded me of my idol James Bond in"'Dr No". It was almost impossible to walk past any of the staff without getting a hello or Peace fist bump. The staff was so pleasant not just to the guests but even amongst themselves, which added to the relaxing atmosphere.

The food was great as was the entertainment each night, and yes we were there during the French invasion but aside from their seeming lack of comprehension of what lines are for and the need for subtitles for all the shows we had little interaction with them. My biggest compliment from one of the staff was You're Jamaican mon, you speak English and aren't rude.

Room Tip: Bring a lot of small denomination currency for tips for everyone who serves you. They are neither e...
Wigan, Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Arriving at Hotel.

After dropping fellow travellers to Iberostar and Gran Bahia, we turned down a side street and as we approached the entrance my initial thought were “what have we booked??” We got off the coach and entered a small open planned type reception area. We were very quickly booked in and given room key and towel cards. We were also given a cold fruit punch as we booked in. A Staff member took our cases were very promptly shown to our room, he also showed us around the room.

Cottage (Garden View)

We were allocated cottage 41. The cottage had A flat screen tv, iron ironing board and a bottle of water. No fridge in our cottage. A safe in room and available at $2 a day. We found that we couldn’t control the temp of the air-conditioning and didn’t seem to be working correctly this was fixed and had no issue rest of the holiday. The room also had a large fanlight and this could be controlled with 4 settings. We tipped the maid daily and always came back to a well-made up room with regular towel art left for us.

Beach.

We spent very little time on the beach on this holiday but did visit for the first day of the holiday. Beach was like any other beach… Sea and Sand lol. The beach was kept clean and tidy as possible for the fussy ones, but then again I honestly cant see why this would spoil anyone’s holiday. There are loads of sun beds and with umbrella type shades made from wood & leaves. Beautiful little coves with walk out areas.

Drinks

There was plenty to choose from and the draught beer was “Red Stripe” Drinks Beer, Spirits and Juices all drinks were served in a small half pint type plastic glass apart from meal times, were glass drinking glasses were used.

We ate in the Buffet Restaurant for breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. At lunch we also used the snack bar a couple of times. The buffet area had a number of food stations, at breakfast this was from omelettes, fried eggs, waffles and other items. At Lunch and dinner there was plenty of choices in this small area. There is also a choice of fruit, sweets, Cheese, Vegetarian and breads & Rolls. We didn’t used the specialty restaurants.

WiFi

Wi-Fi was available at reception and the few times we used it we had no issues. $5 for a hour and $20 for 24 hours. This was 24 hours in usage and not actual a 24 hour period. Just ensure you log out of the account or else your time will be used up whilst not using.

Weather

For our 2 weeks there is was fantastic in the late 80’s early 90’s each day. Rained only a couple of occasions for a short time and 1 full day but this didn’t spoil our tanning at all lol.

Negatives

Only one!! French People!!! It didn’t spoil our holiday but frustrated us… We had a couple of incidents with them and nothing to worth writing about.. But we witnessed on MANY occasions them being rude, horrible and downright ignorant to the staff. Tthe staff deserve a medal for keeping so calm and professional with the French. Another example was the Quiet Pool. This is for adults only, however a family decided to use the pool, they were told by another French couple and the Lifeguard that it was for adults only. The Father of the family just shrugged his shoulders and carried on sunbathing. They returned the next day and used the pool again for a short time!!! Please note not ALL the French were like this and some were very pleasant and courteous to the staff and other holiday makers, but they were in a minority.
We were told before traveling that they were leaving at the end of April, however it officially finished on the 10th May. We were told that they have agreed another year and will be returning end of 2013 into May 2014.
Positives.
The Staff at the RDCC were great and went out of their way to say hello and be friendly. The resort was spotless and constant maintenance of the resort going on eg, gardeners, painting, cleaning, cleaning the beach, updating places. This is a 3 star resort and could find fault if you really wanted to, but 100% better than what I was expecting.

Overall

We made the most of our holiday. Would we go back to Jamaica?…. Yes. Would we go back to RDCC?.. Yes Defiantly, but at a different time of the year.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two weeks at the end of April and enjoyed it very much.This was our fourth visit to this hotel and I did say that I would never go back when the French were there but we had no choice as these were the only weeks my husband could get however this time the French guests and entertainment team were really nice and there were no issues at all.
Entertainment was fun and varied, the cottage we had was kept spotless as always and the staff are as friendly as ever.
Food was a bit hit and miss but we never went hungry, theres always bread and cheese and salad.
This was our 13th trip to Jamaica and for us its just somewhere to shower and sleep as we are off resort a lot with friends we have made over the years.
For the money its good value.

• Stayed April 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This was our second stay at royal Decameron fun Caribbean. Stayed May 4th thru May 8th for our anniversary. Once again the staff was friendly and attentive. The food is wonderful especially the nights they do the Jamaican jerk and curried goat. Entertainment is better than most all-inclusive resorts. The grounds are always immaculate and the rooms clean. What more do you need! Although our trip was a short one, we did the dolphin cove excursion and the horseback riding. Both were fun but for the price you did not get much time with the dolphins. I was hesitant about getting on a horse in the ocean but I can honestly say that it is a must do, it’s a blast! The company is called hooves? And john Wayne was our guide (at least that’s what he called himself) any way very fun. Lastly this resort gets a lot of bad comments when the French are there? We found them to be fun and we joined there dancing and French show each night, could not understand it all but still everyone was having fun in Jamaica and that’s all that matters right! So just like last year I say for the money you can’t beat this place. And please support the locals as much as you can, they work so hard for so little. My wife and I are looking forward to return next year!

Room Tip: spend a little more for the cottages!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Myself and my husband stayed here for 2 weeks in April.

Upon arrival we was greeted with a smile and a class of rum punch, Check in was fast and efficient, The porter showed us to our room which was a lovely cottage in the gardens, The cottage was just what we expected Clean and tidy with a bathroom and walk in wardrobe, a massive bed and air conditioning. Everything we could need for a 2 week vacation.

The Beaches are small but I find that a good thing as I can't stand long walks to the sea, The lifeguards rake up the seaweed in the morning and are constantly cleaning up through out the day. There are kayaks and and a catamaran that can be taken out just ask a life guard and they will sort things out for you.

There are 2 swimming pools 1 for adults only which is lovely and quiet with a small bar, and 1 big pool which is open to everyone of all ages and the animation team do activities here most of the day.

There are 3 restaurants, The main one where you have breakfast, lunch and dinner, has a wide selection foods we always found something to eat and they do Jamaican night twice a week (wed &sat) the jerk chicken and pork is wonderful, There is also the seafood restaurant you can book as many times as you like the red snapper is lovely, the Thai restaurant is the same as the seafood one you can go as many times as you like just book before hand, we tried it but it was not to my taste.

The staff are really friendly most of them have a good morning or a hello for you, The maids are great they clean your room every day and make towel sculptures for you they don't change the sheets everyday if you want clean towels or sheets put the dirty ones in the bath there is a sign in the room telling you this. The gardeners keep the grounds wonderful if you get a bit burnt ask a gardener to get you some aloe vera they are more than happy to cut you some from the gardens it grows all over the place, they will also get you fresh coconut and mango down from the trees for you to eat or drink, Nothing is to much for the waiters if you don't like the way your coffee is (it is strong) tell them they will sort it out for you, your water glass never empties. The bar staff, some are really great some are not so great and can be a bit surly but you can't have everything. Ask them for a surprise drink I swear they have a competition on to see who can make the most potent drink on the resort. The animation team are there nearly all day they work up to 16 hrs a day they are with out a doubt the hardest working animation team I have ever met.

The French, I had no issue's with them in fact I got along with them quite ok I personally did not see nasty rude people I saw polite people enjoying there holiday. In fact I saw ruder English.

You will be told by your tour operator that it is not safe outside the complex but this is not the case, we went out a number of times just don't be flash don't go out with hundreds of pounds and flash ya cash around or dripping in gold leave that at home back in England, try the pub over the road it's called the british bulldog, (nice and cheap as well) they are really nice people in there and it is owned by a british couple so you get a warm welcome.

This is a 3 star holiday resort if you want 5 star try a 5 star resort.

This resort had everything we wanted or needed we could not of had a better holiday anywhere else. It was perfect.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!