“End of November stay :)” 4 of 5 stars

Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Road, Runaway Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Red Deer, Canada
“End of November stay :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We just returned from this resort on Friday - had a wonderful vacation, simply put.
Check in was a breeze - the only thing is that we had to pay something like 28 dollars for some fee, so bring some cash if you don't want to put something that small on your credit card.
The villa that we stayed in was very clean, bathrooms only have a shower - no bathtub, but that's ok. And my husband and I found the bed to be sooooooo comfy! Definitely nice to settle into after a good day - and, if you want to "chill" for the night, they have pretty much all the american channels on their tv's - more than any other resort I have ever stayed at. Room cleaning was amazing also - I have never had such good service.

The food was amazing - I actually gained 5 lbs over our stay. The chicken and pork were excellent, and they have a thai, italian and jamaican themed food nights - which were all exceptional.

The staff were the friendliest people that I have ever met while on vacation - we were always greeted with a smile and good conversation. (be a pleasant person, and people will be pleasant to you)

The only thing that I have that was bad to say about the resort was the beach area - while it was quite big, we never had to worry about not getting beach chairs - the swimming is not great there, and there are quite a few rocks once you get walking out into the water. but if you like to sit by the pool - the pool areas were great... the "adult" pool was nice and quiet during the day, and the main pool had lots of entertainment and activities throughout the days.

Lastly - the Jetty Bar - there is nothing better than enjoying a beverage on a big deck, overlooking the ocean.

I will be going back for sure one day - and would recommend staying here to anyone.

Room Tip: We were in room 98 - just 2 villa's from the ocean, and a far enough away from the entertainment...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
Stockport, Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Just returned 3 days ago from the best holiday ever!! From the airport transfer - overseen by Gordon rep from another hotel - telling us all the history of the landmarks and being very funny to the greeting at the hotel - met by reception, very efficiant, yes I did have to give my credit card details but this was for any phone calls I wanted to make etc and the slip was returned to me when I left. We then were taken to our cottage in the gardens which was huge, extremely clean and tidy and very comfortable. The staff make this hotel from 'jungle George' on the bar, David in the restaurant, June our cleaner who was the best ever, through to the entertainments team, Scoobie, Rainbow, Baby, Crazy, Candy & Nemo. The food is beautiful go being prepard to try everything as this is Jamaica, however if you dont like Jamaica food then there is fresh salad and cold meats and fruits etc, also burgers although these were being served from the restaurant as the pool snack area had suffered damage during the hurricane. There is a al a carte we had no issues booking into this and again the food and service was fantastic. Yes the hotel does need some work and this was going on whilst we were there in fact they closed the main bar to re do the roof but set up a temporary bar right next to the pool which still had everything so no loss of service. The trips, Dunns falls, Blue Mountain, Bob Marley fantastic, we had great guides efficent pick up times and they were not too expensive. The day before we left we had a tropical storm which flooded everywhere we were lucky our room was not affected, however for those who were the staff were on hand immediatly to help or move the rooms poor June had her work load increased that day. Look out for the peacocks in the gardens they love to be fed. The jetty bar with the swings is a beautiful place to end a days sunbathing. All in all we loved it and will be going back again if we can. Yes we heard people complaining about it - come on you are in the Caribbean and if you are not happy ask and they will try and help you.

Room Tip: We had 108 very useful room if rains as slightly higher up.
College Park, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

They are sister property's down the road from each other. We have stayed at this property 4 times over that last 5 years and 3 managements. The place is wonderful always been very clean and well taken care off, yes it is an older property and a little out of date. But if you are looking for a relaxing fun fill time 24/7 this is the place to go. The entire Staff went out of their way to make sure we (My husband, daughter and myself) were all having a good time. The hard working "Co-Entertainment" Staff goes out of their way to meet and greet everyone. If you do not want to be bothered they leave you alone, if not they make sure you have a good time. We were there over Thanksgiving break and the resort was only 35 +/- % full, which was sad since the resort has so much to offer. There is only one bad comment I can add and it has nothing to do with the resort and the staff there but the Royal Decameron customer service. I sent 3 emails asking to have a ground floor room in the "Quad" pool area and NEVER receive a reply. When we arrived and asked about it, we were informed that, that area was not open. We understood it and would not have been upset if we were told this before hand. It is a shame the staff and resort have so much to offer and we feel the higher-ups need to step up their game.

Room Tip: It is a condensed resort with alot to offer, if everything is open, so there really is no bad room...
Oceanside, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We began our 7 day trip pulling up to this "resort" being greeted by literally no one. After a cheery greeting by the reception staff of one, we thought this place redeemed itself. Wrong.

The room:
We were escorted to our room of which we were told we would have two adjoining/next to each other beach cottages, but instead we were led to the back where there were a rows of rooms. Upon entering we were met with the smell of mold and mildew. Sitting down on the sofa it smelled as if 10 cats urinated on both sofas. My dress smelled from just sitting on it for 5 mins (I had to hand wash my dress to get the smell out). Our family in the adjoining next room did not even have back cushions on the sofa we had to call to get some. The shower in our bathroom had 0 water pressure and it took a day for them to repair it. The peacocks were great until they kept pooping on the patio and my daughter continually stepped in it. The AC worked well and kept the room cool. The bed was firm but not too uncomfortable. Our maid was very sweet and proficient. I got attacked by mosquitoes at night while I slept, and I understand I'm in a tropical setting so I wore OFF and still got chomped on.

The food:
The food was decent. I would have to say the Jerk pork and chicken were excellent, but anything other than that was just mediocre. Breakfast was the same everyday, and they seem to hoard the bacon as it took 4 days to figure out they even had any. They keep it in the back section where a food server has to administer it on your plate. They only had beef patties on Sunday's and they were bland and not spicy at all. Drinks were never the same. I would order the same drink and it would taste or look different each time. Usually we had to hunt down place settings from other tables as most tables will be half set, like they got busy and forgot to finish. We had a few great waiters, but most of the time they just filled water glasses and cleared plates without even acknowledging you. I would have been more inclined to leave an extra tip if we could have at least got some eye contact.

The Staff:
It was hit or miss. Some of the staff was very friendly and some looked like they were miserable to even be there. The front desk girl was great when we checked in but when I had to deal with other front desk people they were rude, short and disinterested. Bring cash because if you want to charge anything to your room they will not let you, like internet, tours and phone calls. Everyday my husband was asked by one of the staff if he wanted to "buy a bag" or if he "partied". We could not go on the snorkeling trip two days in a row because there were not enough people. Bummer.

The grounds:
I will say that the grounds were the best part of this resort. It is beautifully maintained and the addition of the cats and peacocks (except for the poop) are a nice touch. The pools are small and have no privacy. If you want to swim, go to the sister resort Fun Caribbean. The beach is small and a bit dirty. The further you swim the more beautiful it is. Grab a snorkel and check it out past the buoys, there is lots of reef to explore. The swing chairs at the Jetty bar are cool but the bees can get really bad.

The Ugly:
The two reason I would never return are, 1) I called/emailed the resort to set up a surprise dinner for my parents anniversary a prior visiting the resort. I emailed back and forth with the wedding/event coordinator numerous times and planned the dinner on the gazebo with a special dinner, champagne and dessert. When we arrived, post Hurricane Sandy, I was told that because the gazebo was undermined that we would have to have the dinner in a diffrernt location, totally understandable. I stopped by the wedding office the day before to confirm the dinner, it would be in the Thai restaurant with a floral arrangement and champagne at 6:30pm for 5 people. When we showed up they had no idea there was a special dinner and was told that they could not accommodate us. I was upset that the surprise was totally ruined. I asked to talk to the wedding coordinator and she was gone for the day. She did not even make our reservation, nor did she make sure the floral arrangement or Champagne were there. NOTHING was done. I asked to talk to a manager and as it took longer and longer I got pissed and we decided to just eat in the buffet, Plan ruined. We went and settled into a table at the buffet restaurant and the manager finally came over and spread out some hibiscus flowers on the table and brought over a bottle of sparkling wine. We managed to have a nice dinner despite the ball being dropped by the weeding coordinator, of which never called or contacted me to apologize. 2) The same night as the anniversary dinner fail, we all settled in for the night, there was some loud music coming from the back side of the resort, no biggie a club/bar I can deal with it. 10pm the music gets louder and louder, the beat of the bass shaking the walls. We deal with it until 11pm. Since we had an early flight the next morning, I called the front desk to see if there was something they could do. I was told by the front desk that a new club had just opened and many other guests are complaining but that they could not do anything until 12am. Literally 3 hours of blasting techno was in my head like a possessed ear worm. Finally at midnight I called the front desk and was told by Patrick that "This is Jamaica, people have parties and clubs can play their music till whenever they feel like it and they* (Club Caribbean) don't want to 'start anything' with the people at the club". The music went on until 2am. I had to sleep on the nasty sofa with beach towels to get a little bit of sleep.

This is my second trip to Jamaica, the last time we stayed at a 5 star resort. This is 2 stars at best.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

very good accomadation excellent site food very good the staff are very kind and good at there jobs of making youre holiday with them a good one the entertainment team were a joy to watch would deffinetley reccomend it to my friends and woul deffinatley return .

Room Tip: the rooms are mostly all beach huts which was very nice and different
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Returned yesterday after a 2 week stay. This is a great and enjoyable place to stay.

The staff and the chalets are superb.
The staff are really friendly and helpful. You can always talk to them, have a joke with them and ask them advise on Jamaican matters. Some favourites were Scooby, Greg, Kerry Anne and Tanisha. Also liked the 2 waiters in the restaurant bit unfortunately too much booze meant I forgot their names. One constructive comment is aimed at the few, whom I guess to be managers and they seem to want to be a bit too above themselves to make an effort to talk to guests.
The chalets are generally circular self contained units with one big bedroom, bathroom and wardrobe / store room. There is a flat screen TV. The chalets are well maintained and cleaned. True its not modern decor but this is a 3 star hotel.

The food is generally very good. It is varied and usually follows themed menus. The Nyamings restaurant provides a change from the buffet / main restaurant and yet again nothing but praise. There is always a choice and bound to be something that even the most choosey could eat. Stay around at 11pm and try the proper burgers! There is also a free shuttle bus to the Funclub Decameron and there is a Japanese restaurant, which is also excellent.

The main attraction of Jamaica is the beaches and here there are 3 coves.....all sandy and with various spots to hide in the shade. Lovely blue sea!
There are 2 pool areas which are next to bars. A smaller and quieter Adults only pool is pleasant. The main pool is adequate but I suggest the Hotel should consider improving the pool as it looks very dated!!
Liked to visit the Jetty bar in the late afternoon, where the very pleasant Tanisha never seemed to let my glass empty!!! Nice talking to Mr P ( an elderly gent who enthralled me for hours on cricket and football).

The Entertainments team make sure there is something going on, whether its volley ball, dominoes or a music quiz.. The live music was good and usually the "cabaret" after the live music was also very good. Another constructive comment would be the choice of music played by the team, who wanted to play Gangnam style and other similar genre of music to an audience who probably wanted something a bit more varied and more contemporary. Possibly this is the reason the Disco didnt have more than 10 guests in the room!!! Scooby, Crazy, One drop ( how did he get that nickname?) and Nemo .......Great characters! Nemo is a master MC!! Nearly forgot to mention the trio who played at lunch and early evening..... real Calypso charm consisting of a guitar, beat box and maraccas.

First choice Rep, Amaril is superb!!!! Excellent welcome and though I did have a complaint about an excursion which was really a minor complaint. She dealt with this efficiently and provided a solution which I was not expecting.

In conclusion, other reviewers have some negative comments as I have............but you have to remember this is a 3 star hotel oozing Jamaican charm and character not a 5 star expensive concrete palace!

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Friendly hotel and gardening staff who worked hard to restore the damage caused by superstorm Sandy (which had recently hit this area prior to our arrival - we watched it decimate the New York area on CNN satellite news on the TV in our rooms). We choose the garden rooms and it was well worth the additional expense. Food ok in main buffet restaurant. but seafood nights much better upstairs in bookable restaurant (staff really attentive and produced a birthday cake for bro in law). My main complaint relates to the entertainment. It is very loud & unrelenting commencing from mid morning until late at night (however evening entertainment was varied and ok). Our rooms were on the perimeter and we could hear everything from the microphone (music/voice). If you are a fan of an afternoon siesta forget it - you will NOT get any peace - the sound system blares out across the complex drowning the gentle sounds of nature.This is sad because it means that I would not stay at this hotel again. Decameron need to work out what type of guest they want to attract i.e. the 18-30 Ibiza type crowd OR families/mature customers. Stanley (taxi driver) took 5 of us to Firefly (home and final resting place of Noel Coward) for 100 US dollars. Well worth a visit (+10 US dollar entry fee each). Have your photo taken in the same place as Noel looking over the beautiful sea vista.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!