“You MUST visit here......” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Club Caribbean

You added Royal Decameron Club Caribbean to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street Runaway Bay | Jamaica, Runaway Bay Jamaica, Jamaica   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cardiff
“You MUST visit here......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We picked this hotel to get away from the large, sprawling and soulless hotels that we have visited elsewhere in the Caribbean; that and it’s recommendation on TA! We were not disappointed at all; in fact even reading how friendly the staff are, does not prepare you for just what lovely people they really are.

Check in was quick and efficient, they required a swipe of a credit card; I never do this as it’s a security threat, but I carry an out of date one for this eventuality and gave that, they never checked. Personally I would rather leave a cash deposit than a credit card swipe but this wasn’t an option. I paid for a safe, I expected a cost, but I think this is not acceptable even in a three star hotel; this should be free to guests.

Our luggage was taken to our adjoining ocean front huts, I had requested from the hotel adjoining huts and one with a mezzanine floor and that is exactly what we got, thanks reception RDCC!

I knew in advance the rooms were dated, and they are very basic; one room had daylight through the door frame and the roof; the toilet was not properly secured to the floor and the sofa was, well, uncomfortable. The other room was fine though, it seems that not all the huts are the same. Only having to change and sleep in the rooms what more do you need than a clean room? It was very clean and the bed sheets were good quality and the beds comfy enough. There is not much hanging space in mezzanine huts, but plenty of balcony space that suffices.

We travelled with Thomas Cook and attended the welcome meeting just to get a flavour from the local rep of the resort and the island. Was pretty turned off at the hard sell yet again, including the now dated ‘don’t go with others you won’t be insured’. This annoys me as Thomas Cook do NOT insure you on trips, you insure yourself; just a way of selling their overpriced product. We chose to go with local guide Paul Williams and that was a great choice. We went to Dunn’s River Falls and Paul told us it was all in the timing. It was; we got there early and we were the only party on the falls, just 5 of us, not a long line of 23 holding hands. The Falls were great and we have some great pictures taken by our guide (who expects a tip, and deserved one for his guidance and photography). Of course we are the only ones in our picture as Paul had ensured we got there before the crowds. Even the traders outside the Falls ignored us, waiting to pounce on those who went with Tour Operators. Paul also took us to some really ‘local’ shops. T shirts at $6, anyone bought a T shirt in Jamaica for that price? We also went to Scotchies for lunch, really quaint place with great jerk chicken. You have to try the hot sauce; words could never describe how hot it is! If you are planning a trip e-mail Paul or any other local driver (but Paul comes very highly recommended, he is a lovely guy). You would be mad to book through a tour operator; enough people on TA have had great experiences with the local guys to trust them implicitly.

The beaches at RDCC are man-made but I thought it was very good, a little rough in places but kept really tidy by the very hardworking beach attendants constantly raking it. Hats off to these guys as they work long hours and never stand still. We brought one an omelette one morning from breakfast, I may as well have given him the crown jewels such was his appreciation. This guy walked along the beach with a cut down plastic bottle which was for his water! Come on management at RDCC at least feed all your very hard working staff; they are your biggest asset!

The sea was cloudy most days and was rocky, but I knew this before we even booked and for us, it was not an issue. It was like stepping in a bath though, it was just so warm! The sea could also be quite choppy when out on the glass-bottom boat so be warned! This boat and their speedboat have also both seen better days; they need replacing. The staff on them though were very professional and knowledgeable about the undersea world.

The food was OK to good you can tell hygiene is a priority when you see staff coming out of the kitchen dressed like cardiac surgeons, wearing face masks. There was always a good choice, and we ate late! Breakfasts were really good, great omelettes and pancakes delivered with Cassandra’s lovely smile and ‘morning, how are you today?’ We ate mostly at Jasmine Delta for lunch; they had pizzas, burgers and hot dogs every day, jerk chicken most days with local specialities changing daily (anyone for cow foot?). Here we were waited on by the ever lovely Kermit, always smiling, always chatting, and always keeping our glasses filled. He is a real star so look out for him when you visit.

The bar staff are all great, George is well reported on here and I miss his ‘paparazzi man, talk to me’ and ‘Jungle man is warming up’. A born entertainer, he also mixes some great cocktails. But he is not the only star behind the bar; in fact they are all wonderful. But I have to mention three great guys who don’t receive the praise George gets, but deserve it as much. Hezekiah, Wayne (big eyes) and Jerome Johnson. They felt like family by the end of our holiday (shows how much time we spent in the bar!) Great bartenders but thoroughly nice guys (don’t give up on the dream Jerome!) Even when they were just cleaning the bar in the morning they smiled and exchanged pleasantries with you; and a big smile and ‘good morning’ from Antonette was well worth having!

Evening entertainment was OK to great; Rocky (entertainment manager) was a great compare and boy can he and the Fun Crew dance. During audience participation nights these guys were very funny, at times very close to the mark decency wise! But great entertainment.

I am a certified diver and went diving with the ones at the hotel, now Scuba Caribe and not Resort Divers. There is no diving direct from RDCC, you are picked up and taken to Grand Bahia Principe about 15 minutes away. I didn’t take my own kit so used theirs, their regulators were OK but I had a problem with the exhaust on the set I had last trip. They have two boats, a lovely new Catamaran and ‘slow boat to China’; which is not great. This boat is not suitable to dive off and the manager, Leon, assured me that he is going to upgrade it in the next few weeks as he is aware of the issues I raised. The diving itself was OK, but just OK. The coral is quite pretty in places but the ravaging of Lion Fish is clearly visible. These fish should not be in the Caribbean but at least dive companies are doing what they can to eradicate them, but their effect on local wildlife, or rather lack of local wildlife is devastating.

As has been said many times on here by far the biggest asset RDCC has is its staff. They all engage with you so much (oddly apart from the Funcrew who rarely spoke to those who didn’t hang round them, and seemed to just sit round the bar all day, maybe too much dancing the night before!).

To all the staff at RDCC I salute you and thank you for giving my family a fantastic holiday.

My title was you must visit here and I would say if you are thinking of booking then just book; but please come with an open mind. Yes the rooms are dated, yes the beach is man made, yes the sea is not clear and can be rocky and yes the food is not a la carte. This is a small, very intimate resort and if you are willing to put aside its limitations it is a very special place. Rocky sings a parody of ‘One Love’ ‘come to Jamaica we’ll treat you right’; RDCC lives up to that promise and more.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Czech first
Akron, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Ok, first of all let me start by saying, I'm a very experienced traveler, and I've stayed in less than stellar accomodation, and I've stayed in 5-star resorts and hotels around the world, so I have a very good frame of reference. Others have complained about a few of the things I will be bringing up and when I read them I immediately thought "gee, that must be a picky person", or "they must've been LOOKING for flaws" because other's reviews were so sensational.

Ok here is the meat of the review....after arriving at the airport we used our pre-paid transfers through JTL (Jamaica Tour Lines), and couldn't have been happier, they were professional, friendly, and helpful. We were on the bus for approximately 90 minutes before arriving at RDCC (Royal Decameron Club Carribbean) and when we arrived, we were excited....the lobby was airy and fresh.

After beginning our check in we were pulled to the side where we were told that "unfortunately, we don't have any rooms available at this resort, so we will be 'upgrading' you to our Montego Bay resort".....to which I replied that was unacceptable, and we would NOT be getting back on a bus for 90 MORE minutes and going to stay in a highrise hotel, and that if I wanted to stay there I would have booked there. The guest relations person at this point outright lied to me saying that "a pipe burst a few days ago" making the rooms unusable. I know this is a lie because later on, while this was being sorted out we asked one of the staff if he knew of any maintenance issues, and he had no idea what I was talking about. Later on, while still trying to convince us that the rooms were not available, the rep stated that it happened "last night", clearly different than a "few days ago"....the rep then proceeded to lie further saying that they attempted to contact travelocity so they could contact us to let us know this occurred and travelocity refused to give them our contact information or pass on the info. I then asked for the number they use to call travelocity and I would like to call them to verify that....the rep was visibly shaken, and left the lobby again stating she was going to try to call someone.....after 30 minutes more she came back and said "i'm sorry you can resume your check-in now"....no explanation at ALL, or even an honest apology....I'd like to add as well that all throughout that day, and the subsequent days literally dozens more couples, and familes checked in, so CLEARLY there were rooms available the whole time.....I also noticed, that while being lied to there was a sign that read "Ask about a FREE upgrade to our property in Montego Bay!!".....so obviously they were trying to fill that property by lying to people at RDCC.

Now, I'd like to discuss the staff....the servers, and bar staff were wonderful, and I can not complain, in fact we tipped often even though its not required.....the front desk and housekeeping staff however is horrific.....There were times I stood at the front desk for 5 full minutes waiting to be ACKNOWLEDGED....not served, but even just noticed.....absolutely rude, and they would speak to you as if you just cursed at them. The housekeeping staff was no better. This property does the (nowadays) typical money-saving "green" towel reuse program, which is not a problem.....but on the first day we wanted new towels the next morning so we followed the instructions and tossed the old ones in the tub.....we come back to our "made up" room to find 0 towels, no hand towels, or wash cloths whatsoever.....we called the front desk after playing with the BARELY usable room phone and requested them.....over 2 HOURS later they finally arrived, so if you are waiting for towels to take a shower, don't bother, just go for a swim and use a beach towel. Also, on the first morning there we left a VERY large tip on the bed, so it's not as if we were being cheap....furthermore, to avoid any other towel issues, we hung our towels, cloths, and handtowel so they wouldn't be taken, and guess what we found.....THEY TOOK THEM AND DIDN'T REPLACE THEM!!!....just completely frustrating, when after a long day you'd like to have a shower and find the towels missing. Extremely frustrating.....

Now the food and drink.......the breakfast buffet was wonderful, except for the fact that the only "buffet" eggs that were available in a tray were not topped up nearly often enough. The omelet bar was delicious, the fruit was always fresh, and there was a wide range of juices and breads. The lunch buffet and dinner buffet lacked good food 75% of the time....there was actually one evening we went to dinner there and literally did not eat a scrap of food because nothing looked appetizing. Also, the desserts are HORRENDOUS, completely tasteless, and bizarre....now we've stayed in All-inclusive resorts and they typically feed you so often, you can barely eat dinner unless your careful.....well don't expect this at RDCC, there isn't a snack in site unless you buy a bag of chips from the gift shop....the "snack" restaurant that is open between lunch and dinner, served hot dogs, hamburgers with fries, and curried goat (very tasty btw) but these are meals, not snacks.

Now the drinks, I'll preface this by saying that my wife and I LOVE drinking, which is one of the reasons we love all-inclusive vacations so much.....if you are into terrible "tropical" cocktails made with different configurations of about 5 ingredients (none of which are fresh or top shelf I might add), and Red Stripe light (yes, light...they will tell you it's full strength, but I'm a brewer myself, and know what Red Stripe tastes like, and this was light), than you'll be like a pig in slop.....but by the end of the week all the mixed drinks tasted as if they just dunked into the same barrel, and added canned pineapple juice....just disappointing.

The cottages were pretty clean, the AC worked wonderfully, the bathroom was not air conditioned, and was slightly shabby but nice enough......but they didn't have any type of alarm clock, which was a bit annoying, especially considering the caliber of desk staff and the state of the room phone.....

Anyways, we had an ok trip, but if you book here and want to stay in a cottage as we did, be prepared if you are that 1 out of 10 couple as we were you might need to fight for it, and argue until they stop lying....and be careful what you wish for because this place is average at best. I'm not sure if you can or not, but feel free to ask me questions about the resort before you go and I'll answer them as promptly as possible, I want people to have good holidays, and they could easily be spoiled here.

Room Tip: Bring a travel alarm clock, hair conditioner, and lotion if you need it, and earplugs for dogs barki...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Nevada, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We went for our Son and new Daughter-in-law's wedding. It was so beautiful on the beach and the hotel set an arch up on the beach and chairs with satin on them and were very accomodating with what ever we asked. We had 50 people go out for the trip with family and friends and All were happy with the great service and fun we had. The rooms were clean, even though they were a little dated, but I would rather have those huts any day right off the beach than a stuffy hotel room anyday. We enjoyed all the bars, the entertainment, the snorkeling and water rides that were part of our all inclusive trip. The staff are all very nice and I would recommend this place to everyone. We will be back for our 40th anniversary in 3 years.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Me my husband and our three children stayed here mid July for two weeks. On arrival we were greeted with cocktails and a very friendly young man who wheeled our luggage to our cottage's which were ajoining.Now before i tell you the best bits i shall start with the groans. First the staff at reception will hand you and your family a card each for beach towels. Personally we didn't use the towel's because if lost or stolen you will be billed for them and we did witness a few of the guests complaining that their towels had been stolen! Other's would blame it on the glass bottom boat tour guy apparently if you loose your towel he sell's you them back for fraction of the price. Secondly our First Choice back in England failed to inform us we would have to pay £15 Each immigration tax just to leave Jamaica and return to the U.K! We asked Amerile our Rep in Jamaica and she said yes unfortunately everybody who leaves Jamaica has to pay this tax! Third groan which isn't major but wish we knew before we went to Jamaica is carry American Dollars as well as JA Dollar It's easier to work out and the Jamaican's seem to prefer it. Holiday in all was great for us travelling with a 13, 9 and 6 year old. The funcrew were amazing with the kids and our daughter was never off the stage even when the kiddies show was over! She was quite a little star out there and one of the singers Champagne even bought her a pair of shoes for being up on stage every night. Evening entertainment was great the first week but was a little repetitive towards the second! The Decameron dancers were very good. If you sit near the front of the stage while Rocky is is performing then be prepared to be picked on! It's all fun though, he made me get up because i wasn't clapping, i had the spot light right on me and had to get all the audience clapping which was very embarrassing but all part of the fun. Food was nice but definitely lacking the spice we are used to.We enjoyed the bbq jerk and chicken very much. Jasmine Delta just a short walk past the Jetty bar serves nice food (soup was lovely) All the staff were kind and helpful including our lovely lifeguard Andre such a sweetheart our kids loved him. There is nightclub onsite but we only went once, was quiet only a handful of people in there but that might have been a one off. The beach was clean water warm but be careful as we witnessed a guest who got stung by a Jelly fish she was okay and the lifeguard poured neat rum on it, he advised to peeing on a sting wound if there is no lifeguard to look after you! besides being stung is very rare and it is the Caribbean after all! Day trips, we went to Duns which is a must if you are into rock climbing! My husband climbed with our children he decided not to walk with the guide but at his own pace which was good for him. Please don't forget to pack swim shoes though as some parts of the rock are very slippery! Would have loved to have gone on the Dolphin experience but it worked out too expensive for us. All in all we enjoyed our holiday and we would return!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

This was our second time to Jamaica but first to this hotel. It was absolutely lovely! The staff were brilliant - very friendly and full of fun! The hotel was extremely clean through out, food was plentiful and very well cooked. Rooms basic but had everything - good aircon, iron, hairdryer etc. could do with a kettle and tea/coffee making things though, so if you like an early morning cuppa like me, take your own. Lovely ammenities in hotel, plenty of sunbeds, beach space (take watershoes though) etc. We went on lots of trips (though not cheap but a must) can recommend the bike ride through mountains. Our First Choice rep Amerila (?) was fantastic and very helpful. Would highly recommend this hotel for all but especially for couples/families with older children. Superb! If we go back to Jamaica would have no hesitation going back to this hotel!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

like a lot of other people read all the reviews but still decided to go ahead and book. I am not going to put it in catergories, basically the garden cottage we were given was not fit enough for a scabby rabid dog let alone humans. They were hauling out mattresses when we were approaching our unit and thought they were going on a bonfire somewhere bacause they were filthy and disgusting - er no this is what they provide you to sleep on. The unit was depressing. And consequently we had a room change a couple of days later. This was to another garden cottage but without the terrace and pretty gardens, but the room was acceptable in comparison. (we had 2 units because there were 5 of us) We lived more of less of suitcases because of the lack of storage space. Reception staff have to sort themselves out - poor people skills its a wonder they don't actually yawn in your face when you are speaking to them, because the lack of interest is written all over their faces. Other staff were lovely particularly bar staff and beach life guards and one or two resturant staff. The resort beach and gardens are nice and although entertainment and food are repititive one week is more that enough. They need to provide accommodation of a decent standard this is less than basic, its down right disrepectful to charge good money to sleep in a hovel. This is not a slur on cleaning staff bacause they do their job, the rooms need decorating and refurbishing. We were aware of other people requesting a room change, that kind of says it all. Take reviews seriously particulary the negative ones because they are usually the right ones. We manage to enjoy our week here by going out a much of possible, but was glad to see the back of the place. And if you are with a group of 5 or more try to get tables early rather than later for dinner, because its a free for all and i had someone offer a waiter money for the table he was getting ready for me and my family, nice one! As for securtiy lock everything in your suitcases if you are worried about people getting into your room. This was not an issue but after reading about theft this was the approach we took while we were out. The accommodation is the major issue with this place everything else is what you'd expect from a small resort. And those of you who think well we are not going to spend much time in the rooms so it does not matter, it does because they feel they can treat people in this manner and when you have young children who want or need to go to bed early some of us have'nt any choice but to spend a degree of time in the rooms. So it flipping helps if it is pleasant. Also laundry facilities is a rip off, charged by one item at a time (not cheap) a trip into Ocho Rios and have someone do a service wash for you is better value for money. No photos i filmed instead but i think you can see by the other reviews that this is a fair portrayal.

Room Tip: beach units maybe the best and garden rooms without the terrace and avoid rooms with upstairs danger...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

First time to Jamaica and cannot wait to go back! I can't understand how they can class this resort as only 3 star because it was absolute paradise. The beaches were spotless, raked and cleaned throughout the day, huts were unique and so much more appealing than trecking down halls of a hotel, food was high quality and excellent choice, watersports and activities were included in the AI which we have never seen before and the staff are 5 star quality alone!

My family are probably the fussiest eaters in the world but we never went hungry. The choice of food was better on some nights than others but there was always a veriety. We found the lunch buffet and the dinner buffet very similar so ended up going to the two a la carte restaurants most nights. Tried most meals and were impressed with the quality. We also went to the Jasmine delta for lunch nearly everyday as the food choice was generally better here our favourite waitor Kermit worked here. He really looks after you.

Our only criticism would be the rooms which a lot of people are pointing out. Yes they are very basic but we were only in them to sleep and get ready. We stayed in a beach front hut and are so glad we payed the extra money for one because they are worth it. The view when you wake up in the morning is incredible. We were also near the dogs which a few have complained about. We heard them on the first night but after that we got used to them and didn't bother us at all.

The staff however made our holiday. They were the kindest people you could ever meet. None of them would just walk past you, they would always stop for a conversation. From Nathan Cambell the gardener to wibble wobble the lifeguard. They all wanted to get to know you. A few other names I need to mention are the four best barmen in Jamaica: Jerome Johnson, Hezakiah, big eyed Wayne and of course Jungle man George. Never had an empty glass when these were around and always talking and entertaining you. They were probably more entertaining to watch than the entertainment team!

The evening entertainment was ok but although the dancers were very talented, they were getting very boring towards the end of the holiday. We much preferred when the entertainment team did competitions and activities (which was rare).

Had a great holiday and are already looking to return next year. Yeah mon!

• Stayed August 2011

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!