“it was hell hole on earth the bottom of hell” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Salem Resorts

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Runaway Bay
Salem Resorts
39 Gloucester Avenue, Runaway Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #11 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
kansas city mo
“it was hell hole on earth the bottom of hell”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

i being at the place before and it wasnt too bad.but the owner is a liar and a desiever.i call and made my resorvation for one month and he told me he will give me a rate of $2400. when i arrived at the hotel front desk i gave to the owner fify four thousand jamaica dollar plus he owed me six hundred jamaica dollar.before,any way i went to my room and it was horrible filty and dark i turn my water on but no water came out but when it came out it came out in drop no maid service for the whole time that i was there i wash all of my towels and bed sheet for the whole time i was there and it took me fourteen day to get back the six hundred jamaica dollar that he owed me then he want me to lend him some money but i said no but i will not get my money back if i loan him the money to all who want a vacation please dont choose salem resort or you will be sorry ron bailey kc mo please called me i can tell you more .tel-[--]

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

Salem Resort??? yeah right..... This is no resort . The entire bottom level is a nursing home.. Yes you are reading correctly.Smells like a hospital, looks like a hospital, not to mention how old and rundown the room was I stayed in. Mold on the walls,paint all chipped off walls, no spread on bed, and was told there would be a charge for an extra pillow. The pool was green and univiting,and there is no beach view or access on this property as advertised. Couldnt even buy a coke there and no place close by either. Had to walk forever or get a cab.I cant even say ya get what ya pay for because I didnt pay to stay in a nursing home.!!! MY ADVICE TO YOU IS DO NOT STAY THERE !!!!!!!!!

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — IT IS A NURSING HOME
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

My girlfriend and i have just returned from jamaica, where we have spent the week staying with Orlan in Salem resort. It's been the best holiday we've had. It was my girlfriends first trip to the island and my fourth.
Orlan bent over backwards to look after us. even tho the hotel was full for the first 2 days of our stay he had a room re tiled so we had somewhere to stay.
Jamaica can seem like an intimadating place to visit if you've not been before. But Salem is set away from the massive torist areas and offers much more. It's a real jamacian experience.
The staff who work in the hotel can't be faulted, from the receptionist to the cleaners all are great and will do anything for you. Orlan has been making massive improments to the hotel including retiling rooms, re sufacing the pool and having cable put into the rooms. everytime i go it gets better.
Bigga is like like a god send and will escort you to the shops taking you to little bars along the way which we'd never have experienced without him. If you run out of rizzla or rum no matter what time of night he's the man.
To save on hassle we took a local tour guide Courtney to ochi with us, he took us round the craft markets where there's plenty to buy. Bargining is a must and we got most things for less than half the asking price. the market traders are friendly and you can have a laugh with them, they will try to presure you into buying things but understand no. We visited a small bay with no other tourists there. the people where friendly and we felt no theat from anyone.
A local taxi driver called Blacks who is a friend of the family picked us up from the airport and took us most places including a trip to browns town, bob marleys house and dunns river. He looked after us everywhere we went.
Bob marleys house is great but the surronding village is so poor and it seems such a shame as the whole community could beifit from this massive tourist attraction.
My adivce is to ask Orlan about doing things and he'll do his best for you.
It really is pardise on earth. I suppose you have to be careful wherever you go. but with the right people jamacias no worse than any other place.
I love it and can't wait to return again.

• Liked — the staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
grand cayman
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Salem Resort last December which turn out to be a big disappointment. We wanted a relaxing weekend getaway and based on the reviews we thought Salem resort might be nice.....Big mistake. The rooms are quaint looking, the sheets had dirty marks like shoe prints, the 2 towels they provided were very course and a far shade from white. the tiles on the floor were cracked. The kitchen was the greatest disappointment. We rented a suite so we thought that cooking equipments and utensils were provided. What we got was old, rusty, insect infested things to use..it was disgusting to know the condition the kitchen was in. the bathroom was OK, except it was just a shower and not a bath. The worst part of the trip was that there were constant singing and prayer going on below our room. I believe they accommodate old senile people who always making noise and getting out of control because they had nurses in that area for the 3 days i was there. Ii guess the only highlight is that is staff is friend;y and approachable. Salem Resort was not worth the money we paid.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — inadequate
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
canada jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2008

What a Place YOU NEED TO GO TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Orlen and Charles Outstanding Hosts A wonderful family owned business

JAMAICAFIMI
Roxanne Jamaica Canada

• Liked — Friendly
  • Stayed December 2004, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Terre Haute, INdiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2007

My wife and i were married at salem resort and it was a wonderful experience.
we had visited before with a therapeudic massage group from Indianapolis and i was totally impressed by the family Mrs. Jones who has since passed away was like a mother to us.
Orlen Jones one of the owners was my best man. Sunshine who is a friend of the Jones family decorated the beach across the street from the resort for our wedding.
what empressed us the most was the family atmosphere, you sometimes here that you should not stray far away from resorts but every where we went in runaway Bay we were treated like family. i have visited Jamaica on 7 occasions and have stayed in various resorts but if you're looking to see the real Jamaica Salem Resort is the place to stay. We have visited Runaway Bay since our wedding and stayed at Hedonism 3 but we made a point to spend a day @ Salem Resort to visit our family: Orlen, Charlie, and Sunshine

Stayed April 2003
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2007

SALEM RESORT
BY : JESICA.S

The Salem Resort was a wonderful place to stay at i enjoyed my room, aircondition, the hot water, the pool, the housekeepers, the employees especailly Miss Pauline and the front desk ladies, "biggie is so funny " it was like a home away from home they made us feel great anything we asked for we got the only thing is the tv they need cable but other than that everything was good even breakfast. the owner is very reasonable any concearns we had he dealt with them he was a good man i miss it there and i will definetly be back.

• Liked — the good quality service
  • Disliked — the tv
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Salem Resorts? Share your experiences!