“Service Improvement would make this property great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
10% EXTRA SAVINGS
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Service Improvement would make this property great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

THE BAD:

Customer Service: This is the hotel's biggest downfall and resulted in the average rating. They don't have enough staff which resulted in many delays in receiving service or getting into a restaurant which was only half full. We often got our own beer, orange juice, etc. because it took so long for the staff to bring it. This negatively impacted our stay since it happened on most days. They refused to offer us late check-out even though we had an extended stay at the hotel. They even ran out of ketchup!!! They also asked about birthday celebrations upon check-in but did nothing.

Wi-fi: Wi-fi is terrible and my family likes to stay connected to the web. It only worked well in the lobby and a few other areas. But even in the lobby the wi-fi was not sufficient to do any downloads.

THE GOOD:

Food: If you like Jamaican food, you will get it here - especially in the morning. Where was the fried ripe plantains though? It only made an appearance once.

Live Shows: If you like Reggae (which I do), you will enjoy the live shows. The skits and talent shows were also very good. I should have taken more advantage of this.

Kids Club: This is free and the kids loved it! Even the child of family member who initially didn't want to go ended up loving it.

Other Notes:
"Waterview" means pool view (we thought that we would have a view of the ocean, but instead had a partial view of the pool). The grounds are nice. The beach is nice. You do not have to wear wrist bands which is a nice plus. The food presentation at the Platinum restaurant made us smile. My parents did not like the shopping trip to Ocho Rios as they were only taken to one specific shopping center which apparently has a relationship with the driver and did not have what they were looking for. Rooms come with free water and soda (some room types also come with beer and wine). The rooms are ok. The town of Ocho Rios is only 20 mins away. Guests receive free rides to/from the Montego Bay airport.

• Stayed July 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We had an amazing vacation at this resort!! Just got home today actually and couldn't wait to write a review because of how amazing it was and family friendly. The resort itself is very clean, the rooms are clean and spacious, and I just can't say enough about the friendly staff. We were all treated like royalty every step of the way. We never went 15 minutes without a staff person checking in on us to se of we needed a drink or anything for that matter. My lazy teenagers took advantage of that for sure having staff bringing them popcorn, nachos, soda, and fries at the cabana all day long. Anything you need, the staff are happy to accommodate. I was also impressed that the grounds were so well maintained and cleaned on a daily basis. I also want to give a shout out to Keymar, a lifeguard at the water park, who made my 3 year old son feel so welcomed by carrying him around on his back and going down the slides with him for three days straight. My son is still talking about his buddy Keymar! What an amazing employee!! Kudos Jewel, you have done this family resort thing right!!

Room Tip: We were in room 2209 and 2211. They have adjoining rooms for larger families upon request.
  • Stayed July 2015, traveled with family
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Valerie,
thank you so much for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you return soon.
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Staff were so welcoming, hotel staff couldnt do more they were all tremendous, nothing was too much trouble, so friendly. Facilities very good. Kids catered for no boredom so many things to do. Restarants excellent so much choice. Will definitely be going back

Room Tip: We went for non splash pool so second floor but all rooms good value
  • Stayed July 2015, traveled with family
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Claire,
thank you so much for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay.
We look forward to your return.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Great Hotel and facilities, lots of activities for kids. Brand new and good water park.
Service is EXCELLENT, Staff very helpful and polite ( Natasha(pizzeria) Eggboy(Main buffet) Tallboy(japanese restaurant), Adrian (pool), people at the front desk where very nice, all bartenders are friendly and eager to serve you fast.
Only one bad thing (in my opinion) is the shopping tour, ESTAY AWAY FROM IT.It is sold by a private tour operator and they have their own desk. It is the biggest tourist trap, they take you to a small shopping center wich may be owned by the same family ( or at least the majority of the stores). Everything is overpriced and you are stuck in that place for 3 hours, despite the fact that you have to pay $15 per person to get there.
I was very disappointed for trading my quality time at the hotel for that ripoff.
Kenneth Blanco, Miami, fl.

Stayed July 2015, traveled with family
Dear guest,
thank you so much for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay as well as your feedback. I have discussed the tour with the tour company.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

My husband first took me to the Jewel last year for our 20th wedding anniversary! We loved everything so much we scheduled a trip back for thanksgiving and took our 3 children ages 13, 20 & 23. We loved it!!! We spent 7 days there and the resort is beautiful. The people there are so nice and treat everyone with dignity and respect. The food is really good. The beach is heavenly. Our room was pristine! Clean, large and anything we asked for they accommodated us with no problem.

The extra special thing about the jewel is the entertainment. They have the best entertainers. Friendly and always involving everyone. They bring in great entertainment as well and there's always something to do. Sunshine, Ash, Purple and Energy are the best!!! We can't wait to go back!!! Keisha at the concierge desk is amazing and we highly recommend this resort to everyone. You won't be disappointed. They even have the water park now and I can't wait to experience it.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sherry,
thank you for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay and taking the time to mention the team members who made your stay special.
Bridgeport, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This was our first big family vacation. We brought our 3&5 yr old sons. We had a wonderful time. The beach was picture perfect, and the food and staff were wonderful. I did get upset our second day there. My 3yr old son was stung by a jelly fish. He was crying uncontrollably and I ran him up to the nurses station. The sign stated that the nurse was there, however there was no nurse in site. I was able to track down a staff member nearby who called the nurse. The nurse stated she was with another guest and would be right over. My son and I sat at the nurses Station alone waiting, all the while he is still crying and screaming that his arm was burning. It took the nurse over a half hour to finally arrive. I understand that we are not the only guests on the resort, however there should not be only 1 nurse available on the resort either. Medical care should be more accessible. Thankfully my son was fine, he was left with a small burn on his shoulder. After that incident the rest of the trip was great and we do plan on returning next year.

Stayed July 2015, traveled with family
Dear guest,
thank you for your feedback.
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

In the interest of painting a complete picture to understand the context and our perspective, this is going to be a long review. The short version is that we very much liked the resort and everything about it, but there was one key issue (mosquitos) that they really need to try and address, at least for the room that we had (2108). About our family: I am 6’5” and my wife is relatively tall as well, and we have a 4-year old boy and 10-year old daughter. We knowingly booked the cheapest room that they had, which had two double beds, so I knew the sleeping situation wasn’t going to be ideal as I am tall as mentioned, and my kids do not do well sleeping in the same bed. The room we got was about what we expected after reading the reviews. It was clean, but not much room to move around with the two double beds. Again, that was expected.
Sick: In absolutely no way the fault of the resort, my daughter was got sick with some kind of virus the moment the bus dropped us off at the resort. While it was miserable for her being sick in the room for the first day there, I am very thankful it didn’t start on either the plane or the 1-hour bus ride to the resort. When we called to ask for some extra towels and wash cloths, they were very quick to respond. The resort even has a small clinic on the property and the nurse came to check in on our daughter, and they kept checking back to make sure everything was as good as it could be considering the circumstances. As it turned out it was apparently just a 24-hour virus, but she had it bad during that time. The rest of us took turns getting it the rest of the trip, which certainly put a damper on our overall trip experience. Room service made chicken soup at special request and brought it to us for no charge. That was very nice. It would have also been nice if they had Gatorade or some equivalent electrolyte drink that they could give to guests who were sick, but they do not. It was however available in the gift shop, though at a cost of $3 per 16oz bottle.
Room: As it turned out, the AC did not work very well at all in the first room I told you about above. It cooled to just barely better than the outside air. After the first night I called to see if they could fix it. They sent someone over fairly quickly who took it apart and did some general cleaning, and he said that he unclogged some line and was sure it would be fine. Well the second night was no better than the first. I went to the front desk the next morning to see if there was any option for getting another room and one of the managers immediately took me to check out a couple of alternatives. The one room I was offered and chose was bigger and nicer (appeared to have been renovated not too long ago), and had very cold AC. It also had a king sized bed! The manager told me that they could bring in two separate twin beds for the kids, so now my kids could have their own beds too! I was VERY happy with this change. I did notice several mosquitos in this room when I first saw it, but we are from Florida and deal with mosquitos all the time, so I just figured we would kill them and it would not be an issue. The manager said that they would have the room sprayed before we moved in, but I told them not too since I didn’t want the kids exposed to the pesticide. I checked the bug spray and it contained Permethrin, and just didn’t want the kids exposed to it. Again, we are from Florida and thought we could handle it.

Mosquitos: I read the reviews that complained about mosquitos, but thought they were probably just from people who never had to deal with them for one reason or another. It was probably a mistake for me to have turned down the room spraying, but that is now history. Once we transferred into the second room, we probably spent a half an hour just chasing down mosquitos. This is going to sound really bad, but I don’t think we killed any less than 20 in that first half hour. It tuned into a game to see who could get the most. After we thought we finally had the roomed cleared, you would always see one or two more. No matter how many we killed, another one would eventually come by in a relatively short time. It was like that every time we returned to the room; we would spend the first few minutes killing the ones that were there (always seemed like 6 or 8 or more), and then have to chase them down one or two at a time from then on. There was a gap in the glass sliding door, and we were directly across from a nice shady hammock area, but I do not think that is from where they were coming. I filled the gap between the sliding doors with toilet paper just to be on the safe side; but in all of the time I spent filling the gap and/or simply looking out on the back porch, never did I see a single mosquito. We thought that they might be coming through the front door, and we thought we saw one or two do that when we opened the door, but there is a chance that they were already inside and just got disturbed when opening the door. I say that because in all of the time we spent walking up and down that halls, due to our mosquito issue I was ALWAYS checking out the room doors and the hallway in general, and I simply didn’t see anywhere near the numbers (usually none at all) that would account for what we saw in our room. So where were they coming from? Our conclusion is that they had to be breading behind the walls and coming out from various holes. In our particular room (2108), there was a gap above the wooden panel behind the toilet, there was also a hole underneath the sink counter in the back left corner, and a hole behind the crown molding at the ceiling by the upper left corner of the AC. I plugged as many of those as I could find and it seemed to improve the situation somewhat, but did not totally resolve it (I apologize to the management for all of the toilet paper in those holes). I would also place a wet wash cloth over the drain in the shower just in case. We never actually saw a mosquito come out of one of these holes, but it was the most plausible thing to explain what we were experiencing, and it did seem to improve things a bit. This is probably the only real negative for the whole resort, but it is a big one. If they would make a point to figure this one out I would have no problem rating this as a 5-Star resort. I talked to several other guests, and other than our immediate neighbors in 2106 (which helps add some credibility to the “breeding inside the wall theory”), no one else seemed to have any issue at all with them outside of maybe getting one or two in their room. On the good side, for whatever reason the mosquitos were not very aggressive. It might have been because we kept the room pretty cold and they simply didn’t move around too much. For as many as there were, luckily they spent most of their time on the walls, ceiling and furniture. Now in defense of the resort, if I had complained about the mosquitos I am absolutely sure (given their response to everything else) that they would have relocated us to yet another room. I did not do that for two reasons: one was that by this time we were starting to feel like very needy guests due to our rotating illnesses and the first request for a new room, and we really hate to complain; and second, as I mentioned above, this room was very nice in every other aspect aside from the mosquitos, and much nicer than what we had paid for, so we simply made the decision to deal with it. Enough said on mosquitos. I simply wanted you to try and understand our perspective since there were some other reviews that mentioned them as well.

Waterpark: With two young kids, pools with water features are the first things I look for when deciding where to stay. When I had heard that this resort had just opened a brand new water park on the property, my mind was made up. The water park was awesome! They had several lifeguards watching every part of it to keep the kids safe. The slides and lazy river were awesome! My kids loved everything. I was however very disappointed when I was told that my 4-year old could not do the slides because he was not tall enough. I did not see that in any of the reviews, and I thought the 46” height requirement was excessive. My 4-year old can swim very well, and he is in no way small for his age, but they would not let him go down the slides; again VERY disappointing since that was the single most important reason for us choosing that resort. I was able to go down them with my daughter and they were great, which made it even more disappointing that my son could not go. He still had a great time regardless, so it wasn’t a total loss. And for those parents who are clean freaks, the restrooms in the common areas are amazing, especially in the waterpark area. They were large, clean, and had shower facilities. I don’t think I have seen nicer restrooms anywhere, including Disney. They would rival upscale restaurant bathrooms. Just a small point, but it speaks to the overall resort. The resort allows local kid groups to come in and use the park which is a good thing for the community, but it did make it very congested whenever one of the groups were there, but it was still ok even then. If you caught it without one of those groups it was unbeatable. I wish they had more/faster servers in the food area of the water park as we stood in line a half hour waiting to get some food, but at least the food was very good. Tip – if you are hanging out around the pool and making use of the servers to get you drinks, they will also get you food and they do not wait in the line. Of course we tipped them for that service, as we did everyone else while we were there. Just to clarify, no one ever asked for a tip.
Food: This was our first time at an all-inclusive so I have nothing to compare it too, but I thought the food was very good. There were several restaurants from which to choose. We typically ate at the buffet most of the time simply because it was convenient, had a decent variety, and was good. You had to make a reservation at the Japanese Steak House area at least a day in advance, so we only did that once, and it was good. The chef was entertaining and my 4-year old was able to make it through dinner without getting bored. I heard very good things about the indoor restaurant and that we had to try it, but we never got around to it. We did try the “Italian” restaurant one night and I was not very impressed with the food, but it was still a nice experience overall. My one knock on the overall food experience would be on the deserts. While they had a large variety, they simply were not very good. Kind of what you might expect from a mass preparation standpoint. When they had cookies, they were kind of dry. The cakes were what you might get at any local buffet. The kids did frequent the soft serve ice-cream a lot. I just wasn’t impressed with the deserts and thought I would mention it in case it is important to others. They put on 3 very nice “special” dinner events while we were there. The first time I saw them setting up for one I thought there was a big fancy wedding dinner being held for some very prominent person, like you might see in a movie. They had large tables set up around the pool areas with special lighting and several food stations with lots of great food. It really looked nice. Then to my surprise I was told it was for all of the guests. I was very impressed. Unfortunately that was our first night there and my wife had to stay in the room attending to our sick daughter, and we simply did not get to take advantage of it. Again to my surprise they had another special luau event two nights later on the beach, but sadly that night my wife and son were sick and again did not get to experience it. Luckily, they had one more event, again around the pool area, that my wife did get to see (the managers welcome party that is held once a week), but we were hungry before they were set up and chose to eat at the Italian restaurant that night so that we could get food in the kids sooner. Those events were really nice, and gave you a great opportunity to sit at a big table and meet some of the other guests.

Drinks: It was never a problem getting a drink. I wish the glasses were a little larger some times, but (tip) they would fill up a larger cup for you if you brought your own. They also had higher end alcohol where I was told places like Sandals do not. I ordered Crown several times, but I had a hard time staying away from the Pina Coladas.

Coffee: I read one review talking about not being able to get a good cup of coffee and I now know what they were saying. While they had coffee makers in the rooms, and coffee at the buffet in the morning, it would have been nice to have an option to get a bigger cup with a lid to fill up and walk around with. The coffee cups at the buffets were small (6oz maybe?), and the cups in the room are a standard 8oz mug. It would have been nice if they had some larger sized (16oz or larger) paper cups with lids so you could wander around in the mornings with a nice cup. Bring your own favorite travel mug from home to get around this if it is important to you.

Kids Clubs: All of the great reviews about the kids club were right on target. They were very attentive, the area was clean, and they had lots of activities. My 10-year old participated in several of the activities, but other than that we only used them sparingly as we had our 4-year old with us most of the time. He did stay there two or three times for an hour or two and had a great time each time. The people working there are awesome.

Staff: The staff was awesome. They were constantly asking if everything was alright or if you needed anything. They brought bottled water (and soft drinks) around every evening to restock you room refrigerator, and would bring more at any time you requested. Getting a drink from a server at the buffet or during one of the special event parties was hit or miss depending on your server. Some were good, some not so much. But overall the staff really seemed to care and the service was very good.

This review has gone on long enough and I am simply tired of writing, and I am sure you are tired of reading it. They had lots of different activities throughout the day and at night to keep you entertained. In short it is a very nice resort and I would go back in spite of the mosquito issue. I would simply request a different room if it was as bad as what we had. It was not an issue anywhere else we went in the resort. I can see why most people give it 5-stars, and I can understand those few reviews that fall short of that. I do know that the staff will do everything they can to address a situation if you simply let them know about it. For the price I don’t think you are going to do much better. Even at a steeper price you probably aren’t going to do much better. I would do this again over a cruise any day, including the Disney cruise.

Room Tip: Avoid room 2108.
Dear guest,
thank you for your feedback and staying with us.
scott
Franklyn D Resort & Spa
Franklyn D Resort & Spa
#3 of 15 in Runaway Bay
4.5 of 5 stars 593 reviews

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!