“Back Again - Love This Place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
GreenLeadersGold level
Warminster, PA
“Back Again - Love This Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

FIrst let me start by saying I agree totally with the previous reviewer from Martinez, Georgia.

This was our 6th trip to the Jewel Resorts and our 20 something trip to Jamaica. We love the Jewel, the staff and the manager, Scott Robbins, who does an amazing job on a daily basis. We've been to JRB twice and are planning our 3rd trip with our kids and grandkids. This time it was just the two of us and we'd go back again in a heartbeat with or without the family. It's our favorite resort in Jamaica right now because of the beautiful beach, the wonderful staff, good food and the affordable price. We noticed lots of improvements since our stay there 6 months ago; the food is better, the drinks and top shelf availability for a moderate resort was also good. I think most all of the rooms have been redone and you can see lots of improvements throughout the property. We enjoyed the entertainment esp. the Silver Birds Steel Drum Band, the performers at the Night Under the Stars and the Casino Night which was great fun.

Our favorite restaurant was Moonstone but the kids will love Platinum with their unique presentations of food and we also enjoyed the piano player who played every night we were there.

I had a great massage one morning by Sara Kate? not sure of her name which is why I should have written this review 2 weeks ago right after we got home. Maid service was great and our room was very nice - comfy bed & good pillows.

The kids club is amazing and we can't wait for our grandkids to participate. They have it separated into different age groups and it is so not a babysitting service. They do everything with them. One day they were taking the older group to the Japanese Restaurant while it was closed to show them how sushi is made. I couldn't believe it. What an amazing experience for them. The little ones have a princess/pirate closet that's right out of a Department Store.

There were also a lot of weddings there and I think it must be a great place for them. They have a lovely little chapel on the beach with carved wood pews/benches.

The only thing I didn't like was some of the music at the pool behind the Coral Cafe and that's just my preference - I like a lot of reggae and not so much loud pop music when I'm in Jamaica. The infinity pool seemed to play more Bob Marley - the music I prefer while on vacation in Jamaica.

As far as a previous poster's comment about the locals at the water park, 2 of the 4 times we were there there were school classes and the kids were great to be around, having a blast and very polite. We met one young boy in particular who I won't forget by the name of Giovanni. I won't mention his last name but he gave us a little tour of the lazy river and talked to us about the best things to do while in the area. We really enjoyed his company. It was a great experience. The other 2 days there was hardly anyone in the park so no problem with crowds and no waiting in line like all of the the water parks in the U.S. that I've been to.

The beach is wonderful and there is no problem getting towels or chairs. There are 3 pools to choose from and we visited all of them and they're great. There are 2 hottubs; one is hidden in the gardens so you may not even find it unless you're looking for it.

All I can say is GO. If you considering this resort or another - Pick This One! You'll have a terrific vacation.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

We were in room 3205 and 3207 from May 25 through 29.
Ground was beautiful and clean.
Beach was never crowded. We always managed to find some shade for our party. For some reason, we were never approached by any waitstaff to ask for any kind of drinks all 3 days we were at the beach ??? Just a bit disappointed since I've read many raving reviews about these amazing waitstaff at the beach.
All specialty restaurants are great for dinner. The buffet food were just ok for us. Nothing special.
Waterpark was very nice for our kids since the 3days we were there, it was quite empty so I feel safe to let my kids roaming around by themselves.
Now to the bad experience we have with our rooms : Mosquitos.
On our first night - Monday - I have squatted over 30 of these Mosquitos in our 2 adjoining rooms. I have small children and a toddler in our rooms so I don't feel comfortable sleeping in rooms full of these biting insects. Since we were tired after a full day of traveling , I don't want to have to haul all of the kids down to front desk and change room. The next morning, I told front desk about our Mosquitos problem and was assured that housekeeping will spray the rooms. So when I took my toddler back to our room for her nap at around 2 pm, guess what I found: another fleet of Mosquitos in our 2rooms again. So I had to walk around the room trying to to kill as many of these mosquito as I can. Same complaining process to front desk on Wednesday morning by my husband, so at around 5 pm Wednesday evening, someone finally showed up with a can of insect spray and asked us to vacate the rooms so they can spray the rooms. We came back to the rooms after dinner and found dead Mosquitos on the ground and also quite a few flying around! I am guessing the Mosquitos somehow got into the room after the spraying again???
This is what we noticed: when the maid cleaned our rooms in the morning, they left the door open during the cleaning, and then when they do the turn-down service in the evening, they leave the door open again....that is how the mosquito army invaded our rooms.
So a big suggestion to Scott and his housekeeping department: either try to keep the door closed as much as possible during cleaning and turndown services or have them spray the rooms every time after done with cleaning. Or
Suggestion to guests: do not let housekeeping clean your room nor let them enter your room and it should eliminate the problem. My brother told me they do not let housecleaning enter the room and his room does not have Mosquitos problem at all!
I did get a courtesy call on Thursday about our stay and i told them I had a great vacation, staffs were wonderful

My kids really liked the beach, snorkeling , kid club activities, and food but unfortunately, I don't think I would come back to this resort nor recommend it to our friends with young kids because of this Mosquitos problem . We all came back with several Mosquitos bites. My daughter who slept in room 3207 got 12 bites, while my sons both get several bites right on their face after waking up in the morning. Basically any part of our body that were exposed during the night got bitten! If the resort can somehow control the Mosquitos problem inside the bedroom, then maybe we will dare to try again.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I recently visited Jewel Runaway Bay for the first time for a friend's wedding. Upon reaching the resort, we were greeted by our butler, Alloy. We were so lucky to have he and Hamantro helping us out during our stay. They did anything and everything to make our stay perfect including tons of ice in our pool daily! In addition, the rest of the staff at the resort were cheerful, polite and consistently trying to make our stay enjoyable.

The food and beverages were excellent with a variety of choices. The resort had live music practically every night. Relaxing deep tissue massages are a must! They also have a great tax/duty free jewelry store on the premises.

The only criticisms I would have would be to have better wireless signal around the resort and a better air conditioned workout room.

Great times! We will go back for more fun!!!

Stayed June 2015, traveled with friends
Casper, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Let me start by saying this is my first review on trip advisor, I typically don't write reviews, but this time I feel I have to do this to pay it forward to others who use reviews to make decisions. If you choose to go with JRB you will not be disappointed. From check in to check out everything was awesome!! Other travelers had commend about the staff and how wonderful they are, indeed that is a fact. To our housekeeper Trudy, you are the best!!! she was so kind and attentive to our every need. The restaurant staff specially Ms. Shawna thank you so much.. loved the Pattis. ;) concierge was great, called couple of times to make sure everything was fine. Helped with printing boarding passes etc,,
The rooms are pretty basic, but comfortable, and that's what counts, we did have a bathroom without a door, a little odd ( meaning the toilet has a frosted door, but the bathroom itself does not have a door, but it was not an issue.. if you find that there are mosquitoes ask a staff member to spray the room when you leave for dinner and this should help. We had a plunge pool that we used daily, it was nice to cool off after catching some sun. We were in the 2000 block this was centrally located close to everything. Grounds are well maintained, if you want a coconut, ask a guy in a green uniform to get you a couple. Although tipping is not expected we always tipped, people work so hard and we felt that they deserved it, not much, anywhere from $1.00 for a drink to $5 at lunch and $10 at dinner. ( this is optional and staff don't ask for it) we did tip our housekeeper on a regular basis too as she so good about ensuring our comfort.
The new water park is a great addition, it's small, but kept my little guy entertained for hours,also the staff there were every attentive, made sure safety was number one and then of course ensured loads of fun. Out little guy didn't use the kid camp, but looked like they were having fun
The beach was great, the ocean was a little choppy, but nothing the resort could do about this. Be cautious if you go for a walk beyond the resort boundaries, folks will approach you and offer you all kinds of products..
The food was ok.. we are foodies, so we are a little picky, but overall lots of choices, try the french toast at the platinum, it is amazing!! in fact my husband ate it three days for breakfast. They do offer some local fare, which I tried and loved, just wish there was more local food and fruit offered. We had to go off the resort to get mango's, star apple, jack fruit etc.. if possible get out of the resort and go to explore the island ( with a trusted driver) beautiful island and beautiful people.
Overall it was absolutely wonderful, my husband wants to go back for Christmas, but Scott said it was booked up:( I also had the wonderful opportunity to talk with Scott, who is so very friendly and approachable ( great job Scott, please make sure your staff know how much they are appreciated, they make this place)
If anyone is trying to decide between JRB and another resort, go here, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: 2000 block, with plunge pool, away from water park
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Melksham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

We are at the resort now and so far we have enjoyed the hotel despite the dodgy weather! Coral Cafe is standard fare, snack bar is good as is the pizza place though very slow service at lunchtime. The Italian wasn't good, pasta seemed oily. The Jade Samurai would have been better if we had another server, our one Leandra seemed in a rush to escape and took some of our food away to eat herself! The others seemed more fun and animated. Just got back to our room past 4pm and it still hasn't been serviced. Never known this happen at other resorts. Loads of mozzies around as there's been rain but no sign of fogging. Grounds are lovely as is the beach. Biggest gripe is that we paid extra for a water view room and you can only just see a tiny bit of sea and an even tinier bit of pool- through the tree! We have asked about this to no avail. Do not bother paying extra! Will try Platinum restaurant later as other guests say it's nice. On site nurse is very helpful and efficient as I forgot to bring some of my medication with me.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Martinez, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I have continued to follow Trip Advisor Reviews of this property since my wife and I stayed there in June of 2013. I sent a thank you to Barbara Burton(Asst GM at that time)as well as Scott(GM) after we got back home but did not put comments on Trip Advisor. Why now?
There have been too many petty,picky and peculiar negative comments on TA from guests who do not know how to relax. One particularly lengthy one from Carmina from NY was the recent one that attained the epitome of "hard to please" guests.
For readers considering JRB for their next vacation; please take into consideration the following facts:
1- One of the prettiest and well maintained properties I have visited in the Caribbean It is situated on a wonderful beach which is raked daily and maintained by helpful professional staff who will willingly share their life and culture with you. Plenty of beach chairs available both in the sun as well as the shade.Joseph and Garrett(sp?) were fine young men who made us feel like family.
2- Rooms are comfortable and well maintained by housekeeping. Stayed in OF Jr. Suite with a great view of small pool and Ocean. Spacious room and bathroom with a wonderful multiple jetted shower.
3- Pools were well maintained with,again, plenty of comfortable sun chairs and available towels. Main pool is near a bar and one of the many great staff would come around to your chair and get your drink request- cant get better then that!
4- Food - excels beyond most all inclusive resorts both in quality, quantity and service.
Main buffet was excellent for Breakfast and Dinner(did not eat lunch there).
Breakfast included omelets made to order, waffles, smoothies,eggs they way you lke them from the "world traveler" Egg Boy plus pastries, fruit, cereal, etc etc. Wonderful young man named Anthony always there to make sure we were taken care of. Felt like he was a friend by the end of the week- Ackee and Saltfish was delicious!
Dinner had plenty of variety including both cuisine from the states as well as Jamaica.Menu changed nightly and service was professional and prompt.
On our last night. our table had flowers strewn on it as wll as a candle - both placed by a thoughtful young waitress because it was our last night- much appreciated touch.
Beach Grill opened most of day and night with delightful Jamaican patties and Jerk Chicken, Burgers, etc.
Chef Frederick was everywhere and a true gentleman with desire to make guests happy.
Managers Cocktail party, Beach Night,etc all well done- superb sax player at Managers Dinner
Entertainment was varied and good
Lastly-the most important part - staff. My wife and I both agreed that the staff were exceptional and went out of there way from Registration until checkout to make you feel at home and welcome.
I could go on for some time but suffice it to say that we are still talking about what a great vacation we had and that we will be back soon. The guests who are unhappy should talk to Chef Frederick, Concierge Desk or Scott and give them a chance to make it right before going home and venting their spleen by writing a long critical diatribe to make themselves feel better. Respect Mon!

Room Tip: OF Junior Suite 2nd floor - best views, etc
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

Stayed 11-25 May. Travelled with 2 friends and we all agreed that we found our paradise at Jewel Runaway Bay. This is not a 5 star hotel but gives more than 5 star treatment. My friend and I were known as double trouble as we always had a laugh and joke with all the staff. We couldn't fault this hotel as the staff made your holiday. Can't wait to return, this will be our holiday every year.
Scott- all your staff are a credit to you. Keep up the good work.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!