“Vocation ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
GreenLeadersGold level
“Vocation ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

It is a excellent hotel. The staff there is very wonderful and courteous, they really, really take care of you and makes you feel welcome. I can recommend this hotel. Because I had a great time there with my family.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My friend and I visited Jewel Runaway Bay in Jamaica in mid-March. We worked with Mike and Amy McHugh at Dream Makers Vacation Services and would recommend their services to anyone. They helped us decide which resort was best for us and answered all of our questions.

Once we got to the resort we were greeted with cool drinks and checked in quickly. We were able to go to our rooms right away even though it was before check in time. We stayed in an Oceanfront Junior Suite which was spacious and had a great view. The beach at Jewel is stunning. The sand is so fine and white and the ocean is the clearest I’ve ever seen. There wasn’t any seaweed. I can’t emphasize enough how beautiful this beach is! It was a warm day so the light breeze off the ocean felt great. We tried the Court Jester's Fire-Oven pizza for lunch. The employees working there were great and made the lunch very fun and enjoyable. The seating is all outdoor but there are large umbrellas to provide shade.

We went to back to the pool after lunch and decided to hit up the pool bar. They have great drinks and always have a drink of the day. We especially enjoyed their frozen drinks. Right beside the main pool there is Aquamarina Beach Grill. They have snacks and light food such as nachos, burgers and wraps. It is in a great location and convenient since you can walk over in your bathing suit. We ate dinner at Jade Samurai, the Hibachi restaurant. This is the only restaurant that you need reservations for however that was not a problem. We had such a good time at this meal with the other guests and interacting with the chef. The food was great.

That night after dinner we went to see the entertainment which was a steel drum band. They played and danced modern songs and songs from the past. It was very fun and entertaining! It seemed like almost the whole resort was there to watch but there were plenty of seats for everyone.

The next day we ate both breakfast and lunch at the Coral Café. They had a wide variety of food. For breakfast they had an omelet station and lunch a pasta bar. They also had soft serve ice cream at lunch which was a nice refreshing treat! After lunch we went to the new waterpark, Jewel Lagoon. There is a spray park, two big slides, a few smaller slides and a lazy river. Even as adults, we had fun. There is also a snack area similar to Aquamarina inside the waterpark area.

For dinner, several people had recommended that we try the Caribbean Cuisine restaurant, so we did. This was a very interesting eating experience as food is brought out on different displays. For example, I ordered snapper fish as my entrée and it came out on a glass plate sitting on top of a small fish tank with a live snapper swimming in it! It definitely made for a great conversation piece! For dessert, I ordered a chocolate dessert with ice cream and it came out in a toy treasure chest! It was a very fun meal, the service was quick and the food was delicious. I’m very glad we tried it.

The next morning we headed back home. Jewel provides transfers back to the airport. We were transported in a shuttle bus with air conditioning, comfortable seats and free Wi-Fi. The driver also acted as a tour guide, giving us facts about Jamaica our entire ride there. When we arrived at the airport, we used the Club MoBay departure service. This was definitely a good decision. Club MoBay is air conditioned has snacks and a bar. There is also free Wi-Fi. It was a great way to end our trip.

Overall we had a great trip to Jamaica and can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Atco, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My wife and I stay at jewel with out 2 year old child. This resort was extremely child friendly. They had a free daycare until 9 pm every night. The activities were listed for the day so you knew where your child would be the entire day and the staff were extremely friendly. We honestly felt out child was in good hands.

The water park was our child's favorite part of the trip. The majority of the park is dedicated to children. There are a couple big slides for the adults.

They had two separate pools. One for adults and another one that was about two feet deep.

The staff was friendly and we left all of our valuables out and did not have any issues.

If we every came back to Jamaica, we would stay here. Again

Stayed May 2015
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

Me and my family had the most amazing time here, the staff was very friendly and accommodating, the food and drinks were great, it had a great beach and with all kinds of fun water activities. We really loved all the staff in the Kids club, they were great with our daughter and made it easy for us to have fun knowing our girl was in great hand. I will deffinatly be visiting this place again.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear guest,
thank you so much for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay. We look forward to your return in the future.
Bourne, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We just returned from a week long vacation at JRB. This is a wonderful resort for families. The staff are amazing and it's a very cozy, friendly resort. As a group of women traveling for a fun filled week we had a terrific time, however all agreed we'll choose a different resort next time. In summary, the resort grew on us over the week, thanks to the staff, but it's not the resort for us. No music at the beach bar except for certain times of day when the entertainment crew is doing their thing. What's up with that??? No steel drum band entertaining us on the beach? Lame is the word that came to mind for us.
We arrived hungry and tired and our first experience wasn't the best. We just wanted a meal and a comfortable seat to enjoy it in. We went to the grill, as it was all that was open as far as we could tell. Too bad we didn't hit the pizza place, but we wanted to be ocean view. (Check in did not include any overview of the resort, just a bunch of papers stuffed in an envelope. Here's your key, move on.) Then we couldn't sit where we wanted because the staff was setting up for dinner. Three times we were told to move. Really? My relaxation comes second to the staff's need to set tables??? Poor first impression for us all.
This resort is tired and in major need of updating. We stayed in rooms 2224, 2225, and 2220. The rooms were conveniently located to everything. We were pleased with the location. Our room, 2224 had a great view. Mosquitoes were in abundance, and every day we asked housekeeping to spray to try and keep them at bay. (The girls in 2220 said they never had mosquitoes. Maybe their door seal was tighter, but housekeeping keeps the doors open when cleaning, so the little buggers just swarm in.) I couldn't get the patio doors open and closed fast enough to keep them out. I agree with other reviewers about the cart noise from the staff, but we were so tired after a day at the beach and drinking the awesome drinks made by the wonderful bar staff that the noise didn't keep us awake. For me, the horrible mattress on my bed is what kept me from getting a good night's sleep. I didn't complain, nor did we ever get a call asking how things were. I might have mentioned it then but I surely wasn't willing to repack and move to another room so didn't see the point. The shower is ok, but again, we found the rooms tired and outdated, like the rest of the resort. There is no privacy in the bathrooms either.
We all enjoyed the food immensely. Great variety, flavor, freshness. We did not, however enjoy the experience at the Japanese restaurant. The sushi took forever and I didn't like the look of it at all, so I didn't eat it. Others who did at the table said it was awful. The hibachi "show" wasn't all that great. The ice cream was good. We enjoyed Platinum and the childish serving methods (Mr. Potato head out shined the taste of the tater tots he was served with.) My meal was horrible...I ordered the surf and turf. Shrimp instead of lobster and the beef was so salty it was inedible. I learned to stick with fish after that meal. We had two meals at Moonstone. Two totally different experiences. I don't want to stand at the pasta counter for 20 minutes only to be told that pumpkin risotto wasn't available. Why the heck didn't my server know that when I ordered it? And why do we have to order it from our server and then go stand there and order it again. I'm on vacation. Bring it to me. The second time we went there, our server truly SERVED us and didn't make us go wait in line for our pasta orders. I never did get that pumpkin risotto. We found the buffet to be the best meals. Breakfast, lunch or dinner there were excellent choices. The fish selections were awesome. A shout out to Frederick for making my oatmeal for me every day. The best thing about this resort is its staff. Urkle, Sparkle, Tinkerbell, Shanene, Christopher and the many others whose names I'm forgetting made this a truly memorable experience. Everything was no problem, my lady.
We also enjoyed the food at the beach night. Everything was delicious. The entertainment was boring, boring (making 20 people stand on stage and repeat phrases for over an hour is NOT entertaining.) We loved the desserts. Pink on top was my favorite. I felt like I was eating the baking of my Jamaican grandma. Really tasty sweets. We also loved the coconut cake when it was available.
The beach is lovely on this resort, however the chairs are horrendous and there are no palapas for shade. The chairs were the worst I've ever encountered at any resort. The backs snap up when you sit down and I jammed my fingers trying to get the back to stay positioned. It's as though the covering is too tight for them so they continually snap up. We had a fun sail on the hobie cats one morning. Damien and Kayesha? were our sailors and we had a wonderful time with them.
We all did massages and scrubs at the spa. Ann-Marie was an amazing massage therapist. Everyone raved about their treatments.
Again, I'll say we had a wonderful vacation. I would recommend this resort to families. The staff here truly are amazing and will be missed. Another tip, spring for the Club Mobay at the airport. We arrived on a busy Saturday afternoon and it was worth every penny.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Suzanne,
thank you for staying with us with your group of girlfriends. I am sorry that you felt that you could not tell us if you were having challenges with personal preferences. Those are things that we would not know. I am surprised that you thought the concierge never called your rooms as We called all three rooms twice but only one of those rooms did we get no answer. so 5 responses out of the six. From your rooms You are some else said that "We are doing very well, thanks" and Having a great time overall.
It seems that everyone was having a lot of fun in your group and from your comments.
thanks again and do hope you return to Jamaica.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Our family really enjoyed our recent visit to Jamaica and Jewel Runaway Bay. Upon landing in Montego Bay, we utilized the Club Mobay service. While I was not impressed by the Club Mobay snacks, the service itself was great. We were fast-tracked through Customs/Immigration and spent a short time in the Club to enjoy a cold drink. When ready, we were guided to our transportation (JTL) with luggage in hand. It was a nice way to start our trip.

The resort itself is wonderful. As many have said, the staff certainly go out of their way to provide good service. We were in oceanfront plunge pool rooms…amazing. It was literally 20 steps from our room to the beach. The rooms were clean, huge, the shower was amazing, beds were comfortable and our fridge was always stocked. We enjoyed all of the restaurants/buffets and felt that there was a huge selection for everyone. The resort was at full capacity during our stay, but it never felt crowded. We enjoyed the new water park, and my only suggestion is that additional umbrellas are placed near the loungers, as the shady spots quickly filled up. The beach was gorgeous, and we snorkeled often.

For excursions, we used Andrew Moodie for transportation, who I would highly recommend. He took great care of us. We visited Blue Hole, which we all loved. We also tried Luminous Lagoon/Glistening Waters which was neat, but not sure it was really worth the money.

Thank you JRB for an awesome, relaxing, vacation!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear guest,
thank you for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay. We look forward to your return.
Stevens Point WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Just returned from nine days at the Jewel Runaway Bay. It was a nice place and well taken care of but. Our trip started with a line at the airport that took over two hours to get through. To be fair there were fights that had been delayed so three flights came in at the same time. That said I have experienced the same in Mexico and never had to wait that long to get through the airport. Twenty eight of us visited the Jewel for a destination wedding. When we arrived we were VERY disappointed with the room we were put in. We booked a water view room. Be careful water view also includes a view of a pool. Or in our case the view if a tree outside our room between our room and the pool. I talked to the front desk about it and was told there weren't any room available. I'm not the type that complains much but really thought that bring twenty seven other people to the resort would have them look a little harder for a better room for us. We did decide the room would do after all how much time would be spent in it. So we moved on and enjoyed our vacation. The wedding was a complete success, and everything went off without a hitch. We had a very nice week and we made many new friends. Food was good (although the selection was not like the resorts I have visited in Mexico). Don't misunderstand we never had a problem finding something to eat, and all was very good. Staff was more than friendly, and I enjoyed spending time with many of them. So all in all it was a very nice vacation. Now on to why I would go to Mexico over Jamaica. First the airport, not a pleasant experience, second the selection of food, buffets in Mexico have much more selection. Third the road noise at the resort, we usually stay at resorts in Riviera Maya and do not experience the noise from trucks, cycles and busses that we experienced here. Forth the noise from all of the carts on the resort. Seems that (in the room we were in anyway) Starting early in the morning until quite late at night the resort hauls items from bars and restaurants. I know this is something that needs to be done, but wheels that work would be a good idea. or perhaps pneumatic wheels would be a good idea? lol Also be sure to check your bill before you check out. Seems phone calls tend to be added to bills that you never made. I don't want to give the impression that we didn't have a good time, just that a few things could be better, and that for the money (I can do four ten day vacations to Mexico for what it would cost me to do three seven day vacations to Jamaica). Knowing I enjoy Mexico as much as I do, I would take the four vacations over three. If you decide to go to the Jewel be sure to enjoy yourself, none of the above mention items were enough to ruin a vacation. And the place really is nice. Just keep in mind that there are better places to go for the money. (in my opinion). Kick back relax and enjoy!

Room Tip: Wifi is good but not great, hard to get in some places on the resort. Email ahead and ask for a room...