“Most Amazing Staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
GreenLeadersGold level
Bourne, Massachusetts, United States
“Most Amazing Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We just returned from a week long vacation at JRB. This is a wonderful resort for families. The staff are amazing and it's a very cozy, friendly resort. As a group of women traveling for a fun filled week we had a terrific time, however all agreed we'll choose a different resort next time. In summary, the resort grew on us over the week, thanks to the staff, but it's not the resort for us. No music at the beach bar except for certain times of day when the entertainment crew is doing their thing. What's up with that??? No steel drum band entertaining us on the beach? Lame is the word that came to mind for us.
We arrived hungry and tired and our first experience wasn't the best. We just wanted a meal and a comfortable seat to enjoy it in. We went to the grill, as it was all that was open as far as we could tell. Too bad we didn't hit the pizza place, but we wanted to be ocean view. (Check in did not include any overview of the resort, just a bunch of papers stuffed in an envelope. Here's your key, move on.) Then we couldn't sit where we wanted because the staff was setting up for dinner. Three times we were told to move. Really? My relaxation comes second to the staff's need to set tables??? Poor first impression for us all.
This resort is tired and in major need of updating. We stayed in rooms 2224, 2225, and 2220. The rooms were conveniently located to everything. We were pleased with the location. Our room, 2224 had a great view. Mosquitoes were in abundance, and every day we asked housekeeping to spray to try and keep them at bay. (The girls in 2220 said they never had mosquitoes. Maybe their door seal was tighter, but housekeeping keeps the doors open when cleaning, so the little buggers just swarm in.) I couldn't get the patio doors open and closed fast enough to keep them out. I agree with other reviewers about the cart noise from the staff, but we were so tired after a day at the beach and drinking the awesome drinks made by the wonderful bar staff that the noise didn't keep us awake. For me, the horrible mattress on my bed is what kept me from getting a good night's sleep. I didn't complain, nor did we ever get a call asking how things were. I might have mentioned it then but I surely wasn't willing to repack and move to another room so didn't see the point. The shower is ok, but again, we found the rooms tired and outdated, like the rest of the resort. There is no privacy in the bathrooms either.
We all enjoyed the food immensely. Great variety, flavor, freshness. We did not, however enjoy the experience at the Japanese restaurant. The sushi took forever and I didn't like the look of it at all, so I didn't eat it. Others who did at the table said it was awful. The hibachi "show" wasn't all that great. The ice cream was good. We enjoyed Platinum and the childish serving methods (Mr. Potato head out shined the taste of the tater tots he was served with.) My meal was horrible...I ordered the surf and turf. Shrimp instead of lobster and the beef was so salty it was inedible. I learned to stick with fish after that meal. We had two meals at Moonstone. Two totally different experiences. I don't want to stand at the pasta counter for 20 minutes only to be told that pumpkin risotto wasn't available. Why the heck didn't my server know that when I ordered it? And why do we have to order it from our server and then go stand there and order it again. I'm on vacation. Bring it to me. The second time we went there, our server truly SERVED us and didn't make us go wait in line for our pasta orders. I never did get that pumpkin risotto. We found the buffet to be the best meals. Breakfast, lunch or dinner there were excellent choices. The fish selections were awesome. A shout out to Frederick for making my oatmeal for me every day. The best thing about this resort is its staff. Urkle, Sparkle, Tinkerbell, Shanene, Christopher and the many others whose names I'm forgetting made this a truly memorable experience. Everything was no problem, my lady.
We also enjoyed the food at the beach night. Everything was delicious. The entertainment was boring, boring (making 20 people stand on stage and repeat phrases for over an hour is NOT entertaining.) We loved the desserts. Pink on top was my favorite. I felt like I was eating the baking of my Jamaican grandma. Really tasty sweets. We also loved the coconut cake when it was available.
The beach is lovely on this resort, however the chairs are horrendous and there are no palapas for shade. The chairs were the worst I've ever encountered at any resort. The backs snap up when you sit down and I jammed my fingers trying to get the back to stay positioned. It's as though the covering is too tight for them so they continually snap up. We had a fun sail on the hobie cats one morning. Damien and Kayesha? were our sailors and we had a wonderful time with them.
We all did massages and scrubs at the spa. Ann-Marie was an amazing massage therapist. Everyone raved about their treatments.
Again, I'll say we had a wonderful vacation. I would recommend this resort to families. The staff here truly are amazing and will be missed. Another tip, spring for the Club Mobay at the airport. We arrived on a busy Saturday afternoon and it was worth every penny.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Our family really enjoyed our recent visit to Jamaica and Jewel Runaway Bay. Upon landing in Montego Bay, we utilized the Club Mobay service. While I was not impressed by the Club Mobay snacks, the service itself was great. We were fast-tracked through Customs/Immigration and spent a short time in the Club to enjoy a cold drink. When ready, we were guided to our transportation (JTL) with luggage in hand. It was a nice way to start our trip.

The resort itself is wonderful. As many have said, the staff certainly go out of their way to provide good service. We were in oceanfront plunge pool rooms…amazing. It was literally 20 steps from our room to the beach. The rooms were clean, huge, the shower was amazing, beds were comfortable and our fridge was always stocked. We enjoyed all of the restaurants/buffets and felt that there was a huge selection for everyone. The resort was at full capacity during our stay, but it never felt crowded. We enjoyed the new water park, and my only suggestion is that additional umbrellas are placed near the loungers, as the shady spots quickly filled up. The beach was gorgeous, and we snorkeled often.

For excursions, we used Andrew Moodie for transportation, who I would highly recommend. He took great care of us. We visited Blue Hole, which we all loved. We also tried Luminous Lagoon/Glistening Waters which was neat, but not sure it was really worth the money.

Thank you JRB for an awesome, relaxing, vacation!

Stevens Point WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Just returned from nine days at the Jewel Runaway Bay. It was a nice place and well taken care of but. Our trip started with a line at the airport that took over two hours to get through. To be fair there were fights that had been delayed so three flights came in at the same time. That said I have experienced the same in Mexico and never had to wait that long to get through the airport. Twenty eight of us visited the Jewel for a destination wedding. When we arrived we were VERY disappointed with the room we were put in. We booked a water view room. Be careful water view also includes a view of a pool. Or in our case the view if a tree outside our room between our room and the pool. I talked to the front desk about it and was told there weren't any room available. I'm not the type that complains much but really thought that bring twenty seven other people to the resort would have them look a little harder for a better room for us. We did decide the room would do after all how much time would be spent in it. So we moved on and enjoyed our vacation. The wedding was a complete success, and everything went off without a hitch. We had a very nice week and we made many new friends. Food was good (although the selection was not like the resorts I have visited in Mexico). Don't misunderstand we never had a problem finding something to eat, and all was very good. Staff was more than friendly, and I enjoyed spending time with many of them. So all in all it was a very nice vacation. Now on to why I would go to Mexico over Jamaica. First the airport, not a pleasant experience, second the selection of food, buffets in Mexico have much more selection. Third the road noise at the resort, we usually stay at resorts in Riviera Maya and do not experience the noise from trucks, cycles and busses that we experienced here. Forth the noise from all of the carts on the resort. Seems that (in the room we were in anyway) Starting early in the morning until quite late at night the resort hauls items from bars and restaurants. I know this is something that needs to be done, but wheels that work would be a good idea. or perhaps pneumatic wheels would be a good idea? lol Also be sure to check your bill before you check out. Seems phone calls tend to be added to bills that you never made. I don't want to give the impression that we didn't have a good time, just that a few things could be better, and that for the money (I can do four ten day vacations to Mexico for what it would cost me to do three seven day vacations to Jamaica). Knowing I enjoy Mexico as much as I do, I would take the four vacations over three. If you decide to go to the Jewel be sure to enjoy yourself, none of the above mention items were enough to ruin a vacation. And the place really is nice. Just keep in mind that there are better places to go for the money. (in my opinion). Kick back relax and enjoy!

Room Tip: Wifi is good but not great, hard to get in some places on the resort. Email ahead and ask for a room...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear guest,
thank you for your feedback and staying with us. I am glad to hear that the wedding was a success. thank you for staying at our 266 room property this time.
Northeast, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Our family (myself, my wife, and 8 year old daughter) stayed at the Jewel Runaway for 1 week in mid-April 2015. Overall, we had a fantastic time. The staff is great, the food is good, the accommodations are nice, and there is an abundant feeling of relaxation.

Highlights for us:

Water Park – A great amenity. It’s not overly big, but gets the job done. There are two slides (one requires a tube) that are fun. The lazy river was great. Plenty of seating (though not much shade). Kids of all ages will enjoy. There is also a bar and snack shop that is part of your all inclusive price.

Snorkeling – You snorkel right off the beach. Even non-swimmers can enjoy as the salt water makes you buoyant and you can always just put your feet down on the sandy ocean floor. There are lots of beautiful fish and great coral to see. Invest in some mid quality snorkel gear on Amazon. You’ll want to do it every day. If possible do it early, as the winds kick up later in the day.

My thoughts on the basics:

Transportation – When you arrive in Montego Bay you will need to pass through immigration and customs. Consider Club Mobay (separate review) if you arrive on Saturday afternoon or in the busy season. Once through immigration you will pick up your bags and pass through customs. As you exit customs there will be someone with a sign that says “Jewel”. You are directed outside and placed on a van/bus. Once the bus is full it will depart the airport and head for Runaway Bay. There were 3 stops on our bus before we got the JRB. In total the trip took just over an hour and was uneventful. Once at the JRB, the bellmen will unload your luggage and you can head to check-in. The way back was somewhat disappointing for us. You have a card that you drop off with at the Tour Desk (Jamaica Tours Unlimited has contracted with Jewel to provide the airport transportation). When I dropped off our card I was given a time to be there for the bus back to the airport. When we showed up we were told there was no bus at that time and we were given another time. The gentleman at the Jamaica Tours desk was unhelpful. The gentleman at the Jewel Front Desk (Patrick) was worse. In the end we got to the airport on time, but with little to spare. Personally, I would consider alternate means of getting back to the airport next time.

Food – All the food was at least ok. But there are several spots that are excellent.

Buffet – Typical fare. Some local dishes. Kids station at breakfast and lunch but not at dinner.

Beach Grill – Fantastic. Fredrick was great. Be sure to make up a plate of nachos for yourself and ask for cheese to be poured over it. Plenty (burgers, hot dogs, Panini) to choose from and open almost all day.

Moonstone – Good Italian fare and we did not experience any slow service.

Platinum – Very good, with unique serving style.

Court Jesters Pizza – Great. Try the jerk sausage pizza.

Bars – Service with s smile and a great drink menu (try the purple rain).

Room – Nice. Yes the frosted door of the bathroom can make things weird. We adjusted and respected each other’s privacy. We did battle the mosquitoes. We asked our housekeeper to spray and when she did things improved a bit.

Kids Club – There were not many kids there my daughter’s age, so she mostly hung with us which was fine. We didn’t take her there to get rid of her for a week. But the ladies who work there are conscientious, and really love the kids.

Pools – Three of them. The infinity pool has the swim up bar and the kids area. The two mixed with no problems. The main pool is the deepest and has a volleyball net. The third is located at the oceanfront building and I never saw anyone use it.

Biggest Negative – Allowing guests from cruise ships or other resorts onto the property. I understand the need to make money, but the water park was turned into a scene from Caddyshack (where the caddies can use the pool for one hour) one day. What was a great atmosphere was turned chaotic when the cruisers descended. The lazy river was overflowing its banks from the rough play and it was concerning with the amount of kids in the water getting jostled. Nobody from the staff did anything about it. And matters were made worse when all the food areas were taken over. If you’re not staying at the resort you are not invested in that resort, i.e. there are no repercussions for your actions and you don’t care what shape you leave anything in. There were many relieved comments from guests of JRB as we watched these folks get back on their bus.

Overall we had a great time and would absolutely consider JRB the next time we are in Jamaica. The cruise ship problem aside, we felt very safe and well taken care of. Feel free to message me if you need more information.

Dear guest,
thank you so much for staying with us. I am glad to hear about your stay as well as heard all of your feedback and have discussed it with the team.
regards,
Millville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

THIS is the first time I have been to JAMAICA. The resort was not very big as the other resorts I have been to. IT IS RIGHT ON THE BEACH AND LET ME TELL YOU THE WATER IS BEAUTIFUL. The grounds are very well maintained and the staff is fantastic. SPECIAL SHOUT OUTS TO SHAMILLE, SYLVIA, JANICE AND CASSANDRA AT THE CONCIERGE DESK. Great people and a great time.

THE STAFF REALLY KNOW HOW TO CARE FOR THE KIDS HERE TOO!! I didn't bring kids, but i watched how they took care of the children while the parents had relaxation time to them selves. The water park was awesome. I spent a good amount of time in the lazy river and THEN TO THE WATER SLIDES! WOW!! THE one slide was worth doing over and over!

There are only a few restaurants. The food was god at the buffet. I WASN'T HAPPY WITH THE JAPANESE HIBACHI, BUT THE STAFF THERE WAS TOP NOTCH. MY COOK, "SUM TALL GUY" WAS AWESOME AND ENTERTAINING! The 24 hour snack shack/burger joint was on point!

I Can say that if you want a great kid friendly resort, this is the palce!
ALL IN ALL....A GREAT RESORT I WOULD RETURN TO AGAIN!

Dear Michael,
thank you for staying with us a Jewel Runaway Bay as well as your feedback.
Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

It always surprises me to read some of the reviews about Jewell from people that were there the same time we were. For my family and me, my husband and I in our late 70's and seven of our family in late 40's, there was not a complaint by any of us. We vacationed from April 19-25 and picked Runaway Bay because we wanted a smaller resort rather than one with 900 rooms. Most important for us was the fact that I have bad knees and with the Jewell having no elevators my son requested a first floor room for us. We had room 2122 which overlooked the lawn and a little of the big pool and even a bit of the ocean. It was perfect for us as it is close to the lobby, the big pool the Coral Café, the other two restaurants.. The beds and pillows were very comfortable and after being outside and in the pools all day by 10:00 we were ready for a good nights sleep. The staff is so friendly always called us My Lady and asked if everything was good.
Everyone has talked about the staff and the wonderful white sand beach, the snorkeling etc. so you know what to expect. BUT I must tell you what I noticed and is so important to me. The hundreds of glasses they must go through every day, all the silverware and plates were ABSOLUTELY spotless. Whoever is in charge of the kitchen does an excellent job and does not get the fanfare they deserve. Also the lawn maintenance men were busy EVERY morning cleaning up. On the day of the Managers dinner they worked all morning raking and picking out dead stuff from the foliage and the morning after the dinner they were doing the same thing again. They don't get the credit they deserve either for keeping the grounds so spotless.
The only complaint any of us had was the Japanese dinner was so very rushed. They were not busy at all and we were there at 6:30 and were rushed so quickly we all left at least one drink on the table. We had heard the same thing from other guests we talked to those days too. You get in there and they bring a drink and immediately after your soup then almost as soon take your soup and bring another drink, then your food and your done. There is no nice relaxing "isn't this wonderful" dinner. Food was very good but just too rushed. The night we had Italian was much different, relaxing with a cocktail, great food in an open air restaurant by the beach you just can't beat that. Our kids had rooms with partial ocean view and had great views of the ocean and Infinity Pool, they were very happy with their rooms too. NO complaints about our rooms or anything except the Japanese dinner being so hurried. But it was such a great few days and the weather was perfect.

Room Tip: Because we don't do stairs well we got room 2122 and it was perfect. Close to Lobby, Coral Café...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 3 days ago
dear guest,
thank you so much for your feedback and staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Just returned from our short vacation at runaway bay. We have never been the recipients of such hospitality like we encountered by the staff at Runaway Bay. Hammantro, Churline, and Alloy treated me, my wife and our 4 year old like family, like best friends and we were spoiled beyond our wildest dreams.
We have been privileged to be able to travel the world and visited most of the Caribbean islands and nowhere did we encounter such a hospitable, friendly staff.
Everywhere we turned, we found staff wanting, eagerly wanting to help make our stay as pleasant as possible.
I am back to reality now, but am already booking my next vacation there.
Why would you want to stay anywhere else.
Thank you Hammantro, Churline, Alloy and the rest of the Runaway Bay team.
Cornell C

Stayed April 2015
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Cornell,
thank you for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay and mentioning the staff that made your stay special.
Scott

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!