“Great trip!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Great trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Our family really enjoyed our recent visit to Jamaica and Jewel Runaway Bay. Upon landing in Montego Bay, we utilized the Club Mobay service. While I was not impressed by the Club Mobay snacks, the service itself was great. We were fast-tracked through Customs/Immigration and spent a short time in the Club to enjoy a cold drink. When ready, we were guided to our transportation (JTL) with luggage in hand. It was a nice way to start our trip.

The resort itself is wonderful. As many have said, the staff certainly go out of their way to provide good service. We were in oceanfront plunge pool rooms…amazing. It was literally 20 steps from our room to the beach. The rooms were clean, huge, the shower was amazing, beds were comfortable and our fridge was always stocked. We enjoyed all of the restaurants/buffets and felt that there was a huge selection for everyone. The resort was at full capacity during our stay, but it never felt crowded. We enjoyed the new water park, and my only suggestion is that additional umbrellas are placed near the loungers, as the shady spots quickly filled up. The beach was gorgeous, and we snorkeled often.

For excursions, we used Andrew Moodie for transportation, who I would highly recommend. He took great care of us. We visited Blue Hole, which we all loved. We also tried Luminous Lagoon/Glistening Waters which was neat, but not sure it was really worth the money.

Thank you JRB for an awesome, relaxing, vacation!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Stevens Point WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Just returned from nine days at the Jewel Runaway Bay. It was a nice place and well taken care of but. Our trip started with a line at the airport that took over two hours to get through. To be fair there were fights that had been delayed so three flights came in at the same time. That said I have experienced the same in Mexico and never had to wait that long to get through the airport. Twenty eight of us visited the Jewel for a destination wedding. When we arrived we were VERY disappointed with the room we were put in. We booked a water view room. Be careful water view also includes a view of a pool. Or in our case the view if a tree outside our room between our room and the pool. I talked to the front desk about it and was told there weren't any room available. I'm not the type that complains much but really thought that bring twenty seven other people to the resort would have them look a little harder for a better room for us. We did decide the room would do after all how much time would be spent in it. So we moved on and enjoyed our vacation. The wedding was a complete success, and everything went off without a hitch. We had a very nice week and we made many new friends. Food was good (although the selection was not like the resorts I have visited in Mexico). Don't misunderstand we never had a problem finding something to eat, and all was very good. Staff was more than friendly, and I enjoyed spending time with many of them. So all in all it was a very nice vacation. Now on to why I would go to Mexico over Jamaica. First the airport, not a pleasant experience, second the selection of food, buffets in Mexico have much more selection. Third the road noise at the resort, we usually stay at resorts in Riviera Maya and do not experience the noise from trucks, cycles and busses that we experienced here. Forth the noise from all of the carts on the resort. Seems that (in the room we were in anyway) Starting early in the morning until quite late at night the resort hauls items from bars and restaurants. I know this is something that needs to be done, but wheels that work would be a good idea. or perhaps pneumatic wheels would be a good idea? lol Also be sure to check your bill before you check out. Seems phone calls tend to be added to bills that you never made. I don't want to give the impression that we didn't have a good time, just that a few things could be better, and that for the money (I can do four ten day vacations to Mexico for what it would cost me to do three seven day vacations to Jamaica). Knowing I enjoy Mexico as much as I do, I would take the four vacations over three. If you decide to go to the Jewel be sure to enjoy yourself, none of the above mention items were enough to ruin a vacation. And the place really is nice. Just keep in mind that there are better places to go for the money. (in my opinion). Kick back relax and enjoy!

Room Tip: Wifi is good but not great, hard to get in some places on the resort. Email ahead and ask for a room...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear guest,
thank you for your feedback and staying with us. I am glad to hear that the wedding was a success. thank you for staying at our 266 room property this time.
Northeast, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Our family (myself, my wife, and 8 year old daughter) stayed at the Jewel Runaway for 1 week in mid-April 2015. Overall, we had a fantastic time. The staff is great, the food is good, the accommodations are nice, and there is an abundant feeling of relaxation.

Highlights for us:

Water Park – A great amenity. It’s not overly big, but gets the job done. There are two slides (one requires a tube) that are fun. The lazy river was great. Plenty of seating (though not much shade). Kids of all ages will enjoy. There is also a bar and snack shop that is part of your all inclusive price.

Snorkeling – You snorkel right off the beach. Even non-swimmers can enjoy as the salt water makes you buoyant and you can always just put your feet down on the sandy ocean floor. There are lots of beautiful fish and great coral to see. Invest in some mid quality snorkel gear on Amazon. You’ll want to do it every day. If possible do it early, as the winds kick up later in the day.

My thoughts on the basics:

Transportation – When you arrive in Montego Bay you will need to pass through immigration and customs. Consider Club Mobay (separate review) if you arrive on Saturday afternoon or in the busy season. Once through immigration you will pick up your bags and pass through customs. As you exit customs there will be someone with a sign that says “Jewel”. You are directed outside and placed on a van/bus. Once the bus is full it will depart the airport and head for Runaway Bay. There were 3 stops on our bus before we got the JRB. In total the trip took just over an hour and was uneventful. Once at the JRB, the bellmen will unload your luggage and you can head to check-in. The way back was somewhat disappointing for us. You have a card that you drop off with at the Tour Desk (Jamaica Tours Unlimited has contracted with Jewel to provide the airport transportation). When I dropped off our card I was given a time to be there for the bus back to the airport. When we showed up we were told there was no bus at that time and we were given another time. The gentleman at the Jamaica Tours desk was unhelpful. The gentleman at the Jewel Front Desk (Patrick) was worse. In the end we got to the airport on time, but with little to spare. Personally, I would consider alternate means of getting back to the airport next time.

Food – All the food was at least ok. But there are several spots that are excellent.

Buffet – Typical fare. Some local dishes. Kids station at breakfast and lunch but not at dinner.

Beach Grill – Fantastic. Fredrick was great. Be sure to make up a plate of nachos for yourself and ask for cheese to be poured over it. Plenty (burgers, hot dogs, Panini) to choose from and open almost all day.

Moonstone – Good Italian fare and we did not experience any slow service.

Platinum – Very good, with unique serving style.

Court Jesters Pizza – Great. Try the jerk sausage pizza.

Bars – Service with s smile and a great drink menu (try the purple rain).

Room – Nice. Yes the frosted door of the bathroom can make things weird. We adjusted and respected each other’s privacy. We did battle the mosquitoes. We asked our housekeeper to spray and when she did things improved a bit.

Kids Club – There were not many kids there my daughter’s age, so she mostly hung with us which was fine. We didn’t take her there to get rid of her for a week. But the ladies who work there are conscientious, and really love the kids.

Pools – Three of them. The infinity pool has the swim up bar and the kids area. The two mixed with no problems. The main pool is the deepest and has a volleyball net. The third is located at the oceanfront building and I never saw anyone use it.

Biggest Negative – Allowing guests from cruise ships or other resorts onto the property. I understand the need to make money, but the water park was turned into a scene from Caddyshack (where the caddies can use the pool for one hour) one day. What was a great atmosphere was turned chaotic when the cruisers descended. The lazy river was overflowing its banks from the rough play and it was concerning with the amount of kids in the water getting jostled. Nobody from the staff did anything about it. And matters were made worse when all the food areas were taken over. If you’re not staying at the resort you are not invested in that resort, i.e. there are no repercussions for your actions and you don’t care what shape you leave anything in. There were many relieved comments from guests of JRB as we watched these folks get back on their bus.

Overall we had a great time and would absolutely consider JRB the next time we are in Jamaica. The cruise ship problem aside, we felt very safe and well taken care of. Feel free to message me if you need more information.

Dear guest,
thank you so much for staying with us. I am glad to hear about your stay as well as heard all of your feedback and have discussed it with the team.
regards,
Millville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

THIS is the first time I have been to JAMAICA. The resort was not very big as the other resorts I have been to. IT IS RIGHT ON THE BEACH AND LET ME TELL YOU THE WATER IS BEAUTIFUL. The grounds are very well maintained and the staff is fantastic. SPECIAL SHOUT OUTS TO SHAMILLE, SYLVIA, JANICE AND CASSANDRA AT THE CONCIERGE DESK. Great people and a great time.

THE STAFF REALLY KNOW HOW TO CARE FOR THE KIDS HERE TOO!! I didn't bring kids, but i watched how they took care of the children while the parents had relaxation time to them selves. The water park was awesome. I spent a good amount of time in the lazy river and THEN TO THE WATER SLIDES! WOW!! THE one slide was worth doing over and over!

There are only a few restaurants. The food was god at the buffet. I WASN'T HAPPY WITH THE JAPANESE HIBACHI, BUT THE STAFF THERE WAS TOP NOTCH. MY COOK, "SUM TALL GUY" WAS AWESOME AND ENTERTAINING! The 24 hour snack shack/burger joint was on point!

I Can say that if you want a great kid friendly resort, this is the palce!
ALL IN ALL....A GREAT RESORT I WOULD RETURN TO AGAIN!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Michael,
thank you for staying with us a Jewel Runaway Bay as well as your feedback.
Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

It always surprises me to read some of the reviews about Jewell from people that were there the same time we were. For my family and me, my husband and I in our late 70's and seven of our family in late 40's, there was not a complaint by any of us. We vacationed from April 19-25 and picked Runaway Bay because we wanted a smaller resort rather than one with 900 rooms. Most important for us was the fact that I have bad knees and with the Jewell having no elevators my son requested a first floor room for us. We had room 2122 which overlooked the lawn and a little of the big pool and even a bit of the ocean. It was perfect for us as it is close to the lobby, the big pool the Coral Café, the other two restaurants.. The beds and pillows were very comfortable and after being outside and in the pools all day by 10:00 we were ready for a good nights sleep. The staff is so friendly always called us My Lady and asked if everything was good.
Everyone has talked about the staff and the wonderful white sand beach, the snorkeling etc. so you know what to expect. BUT I must tell you what I noticed and is so important to me. The hundreds of glasses they must go through every day, all the silverware and plates were ABSOLUTELY spotless. Whoever is in charge of the kitchen does an excellent job and does not get the fanfare they deserve. Also the lawn maintenance men were busy EVERY morning cleaning up. On the day of the Managers dinner they worked all morning raking and picking out dead stuff from the foliage and the morning after the dinner they were doing the same thing again. They don't get the credit they deserve either for keeping the grounds so spotless.
The only complaint any of us had was the Japanese dinner was so very rushed. They were not busy at all and we were there at 6:30 and were rushed so quickly we all left at least one drink on the table. We had heard the same thing from other guests we talked to those days too. You get in there and they bring a drink and immediately after your soup then almost as soon take your soup and bring another drink, then your food and your done. There is no nice relaxing "isn't this wonderful" dinner. Food was very good but just too rushed. The night we had Italian was much different, relaxing with a cocktail, great food in an open air restaurant by the beach you just can't beat that. Our kids had rooms with partial ocean view and had great views of the ocean and Infinity Pool, they were very happy with their rooms too. NO complaints about our rooms or anything except the Japanese dinner being so hurried. But it was such a great few days and the weather was perfect.

Room Tip: Because we don't do stairs well we got room 2122 and it was perfect. Close to Lobby, Coral Café...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
dear guest,
thank you so much for your feedback and staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Just returned from our short vacation at runaway bay. We have never been the recipients of such hospitality like we encountered by the staff at Runaway Bay. Hammantro, Churline, and Alloy treated me, my wife and our 4 year old like family, like best friends and we were spoiled beyond our wildest dreams.
We have been privileged to be able to travel the world and visited most of the Caribbean islands and nowhere did we encounter such a hospitable, friendly staff.
Everywhere we turned, we found staff wanting, eagerly wanting to help make our stay as pleasant as possible.
I am back to reality now, but am already booking my next vacation there.
Why would you want to stay anywhere else.
Thank you Hammantro, Churline, Alloy and the rest of the Runaway Bay team.
Cornell C

Stayed April 2015
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Cornell,
thank you for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay and mentioning the staff that made your stay special.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Resort Review:
From the moment we pulled in, I knew this was going to be a great place to hang out for the next 9 days.
The staff were welcoming, and there were cooled towels, and a cocktail waiting at the reception desk for us. Carlito was our bellman, and he was super friendly while bringing us to our room and pointing out where things were. Our room was clean, and everything was in good repair.
The grounds were very well kept-neat and clean! The pupblic washrooms were always well kept and stocked with paper. There is the public washroom by the beach bar, the lobby, and the water park. Would be nice to have another bath house at the other end of the beach/buffet restaurant.
The food was fantastic!! Whether it was the buffet, a la carte restaurant for dinner, or snack bar--everything was delicious. We came down with a group of 25 people, and I didn't hear one complaint about anyone's dining experience. Buffet had a great variety and was kept pretty clean. Stop by the egg station and have a chat with 'Egg Boy' at breakfast. The a la catre restaurants each have their own special touch, and you can eat there as many times as you would like. Jade Samurai requires a reservation, but the others are first come, first seat. The entertainment that comes with the Jade Samurai experience makes it extra fun. Presentation of your meal is truly unique at Platinum (Carribbean fare); my pastry came in a toaster! We made quick friends with Austin at the pizza place the first night, and he made a special appearance for the wedding with a round of drinks for everyone. He was fabulous! (more about the wedding part later)
The bartenders were great-just make your presence known, and the drink menu had just about anything you would like.
The beach was brilliant (could use some more shade though!), and you could go snorkeling right there. There is a roped off section as the "swim area", and some of the lifeguards are very adamant that you stay in that area. The best snorkeling is off to the left of the swim area though.
The new water park is lots of fun for kids and adults alike. The snack bar has some great options, and there is a bar as well. As with the beach--needs more shade.
We travelled with a family with 2 kids (age 3 and 6), and they were raving about how accommodating the staff were, how great the kids program is, and are likely going back for family vacation. We were also very impressed with the teens/tweens program that seemed to keep them busy and entertained morning, noon, and night!

Wedding:
I was in email contact with Brooke Villa at the Jewel head office for the year or so leading up to the wedding. I had a ton of questions, and she was very good about responding back to me within a day or two. There were a few times that I had to work hard and clarify exactly what I was asking for, but overall, she was good. Once we got to the resort, Camecia was our wedding co-ordinator. She was brilliant. Fabulous.
A note about pricing for the wedding: the registration and package fees include the 16% sales tax. Any add-ons (ceremony decor, dinner package, photo package etc.) does NOT include the tax in the price listings. We were not warned about that (eventhough I asked for a detailed invoice before we went down), and suprised with that extra cost.
Really, it's easiest to arrange all the extras at the resort with the on-site coordinator. They have photos of decorations, and can show you the specific places for ceremony/reception etc.
Photography was very important to me, as my father was a professional wedding photographer for 25 years. We had Omar, and he was great. The pictures turned out perfectly. He took a lot of burst photos for the groups so we could minimize blinking etc. He really was fantastic.
We had a private dinner in lieu of the cocktail reception, and it was delicious! The serving staff were amazing, and even brought up pizza from the grill because the 2 kids were not interested in what we were eating at that moment.
Our ceremony was at the beachside chapel, and it felt very private. Other guests were very respectful of our space, and we didn't have an issue with outside noise despite looking like it's out in the open to the resort guests. The steel drummer was the perfect touch, and Reverend Tracey was lovely.

We are super happy that we had our wedding at the Jewel, and highly reccommend it to families, and vacation goers alike!!

Dear Andy,
thank you so much for sharing you special day with us at Jewel Runaway Bay. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here. thank you for you feedback. We hope to see you return for you Anniversary.
Scott

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!