“Amazing Wedding!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
GreenLeadersGold level
Pickhill, United Kingdom
“Amazing Wedding!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

We got married at the jewel last week and our experience could not have been any better! Nakeiliah our wedding planner was amazing! She was extremely professional and made sure our wedding was everything we wanted. The staff at our reception were exceptional. I requested our photographer Omar based on trip advisor reviews and was very happy I did! He was so friendly and professional and we are more then happy with the way our photos turned out! If you are getting married at the jewel ask for Omar!

The resort is gorgeous. The beach is beautiful- no rocks or seaweed! I loved the food and I am a very picky eater. There is tons of variety and I loved every meal I had there.

There is lots of activities throughout the day and great entertainment at night. I never really participated in any but Sparkle still knew my name and came to my wedding to watch like she said she would:) We all really enjoyed the disco and the snack bar on the beach that is open all night!

The waterpark is a great addition to the resort. It never felt crowded at all, we rode the same slide 20 times in a row and never waited in line. I am not sure why people have complained about the no jewelry rule it's not a big deal at all. I had my brand new wedding ring on and the lifeguard just put some masking tape over it and let me ride the slide no problem,

I had also read a lot of complaints about the resort being over crowded due to the amount of day passes given out but we were there when the resort was at capacity and it never once felt crowded

I was really worried about the amount of mosquitoes having read all the reviews. Are there mosquitoes around the hotel in the evening? Yes but there's also a lot of mosquitoes in Ontario once it gets warm so what can you do. There only really bad from about 4 to 6 they aren't an issue during the day or late at night

Overall we travelled with a group of over 40 people snd everyone had an amazing time! I would strongly recommend this hotel especially fir a wedding! I can't wait to go back!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
St.John's, Newfoundland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I recently spent a week at the Jewel with my family. This was our second trip to Jamaica. I might as well start off with my short list of cons before moving on to the pros of this resort.

Cons:

They do not stock beer in your fridge unless you are staying in an ocean front room. I have never been to a hotel where you can't get beer in your room. Even after I requested beer I was refused because I was in a gardenview room.
The rooms and tile work are in need of updating.
The showers have body jets but they don't work due to low water pressure.
My wife's parents room across the hall from us (1201) had a very musty smell which they found was coming from mold in the shower. (Maintenance cleaned and painted the shower and the smell went away).
The food at the Buffet, Italian and Platinum restaurants was ok but did not compare to the food at the Bahia Principe we stayed at in Runaway Bay. I would compare the food at the Jewel to most high end Hotels in Mexico.
There is Wifi but it doesn't really work in the rooms. From our patio I could usually get 1 or 2 bars enough to read an email or send a imessage txt. But if you want a full signal you need to go to the lobby or the swim up bar.

The Pros:

This hotel is a great size with only 266 rooms.
The pizza place is great (wish it was open 24 hrs)
The grill is fantastic and a great place to a grab mid day or late night bite.
The beach is Amazing and Huge with lots of beautiful fish in the crystal clear water.
Towels and beach chairs are plentiful (so you don't have to get up at dawn to put a towel on a chair like some resorts).
The A/C in our room worked awesome.
The Highlight of this resort is definitely the brand new water park. You could literally spend all day there with your family and not get bored. Between the lazy river and the water slides there is something for everyone. The water park also has a full bar and restaurant which was super convenient and the honey jerk wings are awesome!

Our Maid in room 1202 (April 12-19th) was Absolutely Fantastic and I'm so sorry that I am terrible with names because I would love to mention you by name. Thank you so much for the great service!

Sherene on the swim-up and beach bar is a great bartender! Always smiling and made us feel very welcome.

Overall I would recommend this resort for families with children because the water park is awesome! No resort is perfect and this one needs some improvements however the Amazing beach and new water park make this the best family resort in Runaway bay in my opinion.

Cheers

Room Tip: Main floor rooms can have trouble with Mosquitoes so go for a second floor room.
TORONTO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

After reading all the raving reviews, we were very excited to experience all the great things JRB has to offer for ourselves. Unfortunately our 1 week stay left us wondering how our experience could fall so short in comparison. Our check in was far from smooth: we were told to have a sit while they check us in and were forgotten long after everyone else was taken to their rooms. The room given was far from what we had requested with Sharefa: we were assigned a connecting room where we could hear every single word from the complete strangers next door. The checkout not better: as we were getting ready to embark the bus we realized they had forgotten to bring our luggage down (although a bell boy was called 2 hrs ahead).
My daughter did not love the kids club, although we gave it a fair try a few times. The staff, apart from a few exceptions, did not strike me as happy or friendly and I had one too many conversations that were borderline rude (concierge included). Most of the time service felt like they were doing us a favor. There was no going the extra mile – my daughter injured herself in the waterpark and I had to ask/phone several different people to see a nurse. Nothing special was done to make the incident better, not even a small thing like offering to send dinner to our room, or even a slice of cake. In fact, not once did we receive the ‘customary’ call people claim to have gotten from the concierge to ask how their vacation was going.
The property is tired, much tired than we expected and pool cleanliness is questionable (although I did take note of the one time the lifeguard decided to clean the sides of the pool while kids were swimming in it). Chairs are in bad need of replacement. It can get really busy when they sell passes to cruise passengers and service and space is at a premium. Rooms are really tired with awkward bathroom layout and very noisy aircon (we had ours off at night to be able to sleep). I would have given food a solid 3.5 to 4 star (in spite of a terrible experience at Italian and average meal at Platinum) but unfortunately I got sick on my last night there which made for a horrible travel day. Service ranged from average to poor – I could go the entire meal without being offered a beverage/refill.
The only saving grace for the resort was the beautiful beach and the newly open waterpark. My daughter had a lot of fun there, staff was great, just beware shade is at a premium. I would also like to mention our room attendant Trudy Ann Watkins who was the nicest person we’ve come in contact with the whole week. We were impressed and appreciative of how, somehow, she managed to make our tired room welcoming, every single day.
Still puzzled how this resort gets so many glowing reviews. I suppose it is a matter of perception: perhaps it is one of the best by Jamaican standards or perhaps it is one of the better choices for a 3+ to 4 star vacation. This being our first 4 star vacation and our first Jamaican resort – we wouldn’t know.
What we do know for sure is that we will not be vacationing at JRB again and will not be recommending this resort.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Spent 2 weeks at JRB over Easter and can only describe it as fantastic!!!!
Firstly, the layout of the resort is perfect - no high-rise buildings, spacious grounds but nothing more than a few minutes walk away. The grounds were immaculate day and night (respect to the gardeners!). Our 10 year old son had an amazing time, particularly enjoying the kids club (staff were great especially Ash), laser tag and the newly opened waterpark. The safe feel to the site made our holiday as parents a relaxing one.
A special yeah mon to Remmington, who was caring and attentive and never failed to put a smile on our face.
The food in all restaurants was good as were drinks/service at all bars. What made this hotel stand out from others was the genuinely friendly staff, who could never do enough for us.
Thank you for an amazing holiday!
We will definitely be saving to return to this hotel.

Cape Breton Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed at Jewel from April 10th - 17th, 2015....

The staff at this resort is awesome :)

that was my 9th trip to this property and will continue to return to this property, but wishing there was something for returning guest ....

upon my arrival it was nice to be greeted by Kirk the bellhop on welcoming me back to the resort, as I was turning the corner to go to the check-in desk Ms. Keisha was at the concierge desk and also welcomed me back with a big hug, always so welcoming

Bar: I never had a problem getting a drink at the bar as they were always their with smiles on ready to serve you a drink....big shout out to: Jason, Leonardo, Kaydron, Kerrol, Donovan, Jamar and many more.

Food: The food is good at this resort, always a variety at the Buffet, they also have a Fire Oven Pizza, Beach grill, Italian, Japanese, and a Caribbean a la carte, reservations are not needed at any except for the Japanese. Each Thursday they have a Managers Cocktail Hour and Dinner under the stars and that is a great 7 course meal Shout out to Fredrik, and many more that keep the food flowing at the resort.

Entertainment: Shout out too an awesome entertainment crew Whoopie, Purple, Tinkerbell, Ash, Sunshine, Sparkle, D Voice and Urkel. I participate in Rum Mixology each year when I go, it is a fun game for adults. I do wish there was a few more games for adults throughout the day.

Waterpark: The waterpark is a great addition to the resort and it is beautiful, walked over to the park each day to have a drink/snack.

I do try and stay in the 2000 block as it is central to everything.

I do plan to return in the near future, I plan to return for my 10th trip to Jewel for my Birthday in October.

Room Tip: 2000 Block is central to everything
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Santa Fe, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

WOW! The staff at this resort just wants to please you as a guest, period. Kind friendly and efficient. The new water slide area is very nice for the kids and the restaurants on the premises are very nice with great food and great service. The food quality is amazing and the staff from the bartenders to wait staff and cooks are wonderful and knowledgeable. The place was a joy and I would definitely come back with my family again. Thank you Jewel for a great stress free stay and a wonderful time in Jamaica. P.S. You have to have the Jerk chicken and rice cooked in coconut water. AMAZING! I miss it so much! See Vivianna at the buffet she will make your taste buds dance.

Room Tip: Get a room with the private plunge pool
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Just came back from our lovely 1 week vacation (Early April 2015) at the Jewel Runnaway Bay. Here are my thoughts about it and excuse my grammar/spelling. It's a long review, so take your time. We had a 1 yr baby, 3 kids (10 and under), 4 adults.

We booked with Sunwing Vacations in March for a last minute getaway. Transaction and flight went smoothly. After arriving at the Sangster International Airport (Montego Bay), we looked for the signs of Sunwing, and they led us outside to some tables. Gave our names, and we were assigned a bus to take us to the Jewels Resorts. By the time we got on the bus, it was almost full, so choose your seats carefully. Left side is ocean view, Right-side is country side.

I heard from other Tripadvisors, that the driver sometimes gives out facts about Jamaica during our 1 hour and 10minutes ride, which would have been really nice to kill time, but our driver didn't. On the way back leaving the resort at the end of the week. We had John; we learned so much in that one hour than the week we were there. He was funny.

Check-in: We were greeted with a friendly staff Keysha who gave us a drink and a cool towel to freshen up and to wait at the lobby to get the papers in order. Although our rooms were not ready, she told us we can use the facilities and come back at 3pm to pick up our keys. No worries just make sure you pack your t-shirt/shorts/bathing suits ahead of time for easy access and change at the washrooms provided. We headed to the buffet of course and then dipped into the pool afterwards.

Resort is a very good size, not too big, were it takes you a long time to get from A to B. At most 5mins. And not too small were you feel its crowded. There are 4 main buildings, if you google map it you could see how it is laid out. We stayed on the west-side of the main lobby. It was closes to the Court Jester Pizza. There was 1 big pool that you can play volleyball/basketball in the water and a deep end. The other pool (infinity), was for the toddlers, less then knee deep, and connected to it, was the swim up bar.5 restaurants, tennis courts, ping pong, 1 pool table, 3 bars. Golf area, a Ranch with horses, laser tag area, A designated smoking area, but we do see people smoke on their balcony. May not be good if the others had their doors open though. Can't say too much about the Golf area, but it looks nice, you need to rent the equipment if you don't have yours. But everything else is free.

Rooms: Overall the rooms were clean and the staff always did a turndown at night, which was great. Towels were changed, if we left them on the ground (eco-friendly). The refrigerator was filled with pop and water. I think if we paid more for the room, there would be Red Stripe beer in the refrigerators, or you could ask for them, when the guys in the hallway were replenishing them up. Wifi is free throughout the resort, but it's spotty. Our first rooms, we didn't have wifi, unless standing by the patio door, our 2nd room was very good, because we were right next to the router on the balcony.

There was one BIG complaint though, which was advised by other Tripadvisors.. Mosquitos.. They were there, and we brought bug repellent. But we didn't know it was this bad. It could be because our room was so close to the end of the building, that mosquitos were there. I don't mind maybe a few here and there.. like 10 a day, but in our room, hubby killed 35 in one day. Way too many for our liking. So we asked to change rooms after the first night. They suggested we asked the maid service to spray citronelle in the rooms, it worked for a bit, but then they came in somehow. Not sure how, maybe through the AC. We turned our AC to 20 degrees Celsius in hopes they wouldn't come in. It helped a bit, but at night we couldn't sleep as you can just hear them buzzing around your head. So the next day we asked to be moved, and they said they'll try their best to accommodate. 3rd day we got 3 rooms (2 rooms were joining for the kids) and they had maybe at most 2 mosquitos per day. Definitely better ways to enjoy a good night sleep without being bitten. Maybe it was just our Sweet blood. hahah. Note: our old rooms were 3103, 3105, 3106 (ground level). New rooms were 3233, 3231, 3226 (2nd level)

Restaurants/Food: One of our favourites was the fruits; there was always plenty of fruits available. Mangoes, papaya, watermelon (yellow/red), star apples, cantaloupe, honeydew..etc. Don't forget the fresh fruit smoothies made every morning at the Buffet. Buffet-always had food for all ages.. we had kids, so they loved their fruits and omelettes. Adults had their eggs benedict, waffles, French vanilla toast. Don't forget the Egg Boy, he's charming and full of fun facts as you wait for your eggs to cook, any style.
Lunch: we mainly ate at the Buffet or at the grill. Burgers with nachos was delicious as well as the Court Jester fire oven pizza. You could older what was on the menu, or just make one up.. as the kids were just content with a pepperoni cheese pizza. You could also take the food to go to your room, or to the beach. Just ask for it to go, and they'll put saran wrap over the plate so you don't spill it. We love the oxtail dish from the Platinum Restaurant which was right next door to the main lobby. We went to the Italian Moonstone restaurant twice as it was closest to the beach. Great views of the beach, still outdoors, but covered if it rained. We loved the "make your own pasta" choice for the kids. Hubby loved the lamb dish, and the onion bread was delicious. Something we could see more of, was more seafood dishes, i.e.: shrimps/lobster... and more fresh coconut throughout the week. We only had it one time during the dinner on the beach (Monday night). Japanese restaurant was okay, not as fancy as others. I think they need to learn more of the tricks. And offering green tea ice cream is not vanilla ice cream with green food coloring mixed in. Our favourite drinks were the “milky banana” (for kids), and the “dirty banana” (for adults)

Kids program: The staff members here are awesome with the kids. Where it's to a baby or up to teens, there's always something fun to do with them. They did laser tag, and taught them archery. Playing waterpolo or volleyball with other kids helped kill time. You can leave them around 10am and pick them up around 4pm if you wanted to. This was a great way for the kids to get to know each other as well give the adults some relaxation time. No worries, everything is on the resort or at the golf course across the main street.
Beach: There are plenty of chairs to go around and lots of space. There was always a lifeguard between 9am-6pmish so we sometimes left the kids there. Snorkeling is perfect, as we saw many fishes and was very close to some corals. To get shade, not so much, you'll need to be up early to put your towels on the chairs for the shady spots. We didn't mind the sun, so never had an issue for chairs. In some areas there's even wifi, but very spotty. Make sure to book your bottom glass boat excursion at least a day before (9am) or it’ll get full on the day of. Times are 8:30am,2pm, 2:45pm. We got there at 9:15 and it was already full for the next day. So we tried the next day and got it.
Nightlife: Although we didn't stay up too late as we had kids.. The shows were good, nothing extraordinary. Talent show and learning how to speak Jamaican was fun. There was a music band, or dance show every night. The bar was always busy, not packed. We could watch the NHL playoff games at the lobby area, which was great for hubby,
Waterpark: Kids loved it, They stayed at least 3 hours per day, going on the slides, lazy river, and just having fun. Great for adults to be on the lazy river, and keep an eye on the kids, there’s lifeguards there as well to make sure the kids don't run, or use the tubes improperly. The splash pad was good for even the 1 year old baby who loved it. Remember to no jewelry on the waterslides, cameras only at the pool level, but not when going down the waterslide (we had a gopro).

Staff: Highly rated Excellent. All staff members were professional, friendly and polite. When we requests something, they would help out and try their best to accommodate us in a timely fashion. Ie the rooms change. The bar staff were also attentive, even though at some points they were super busy, they knew we were waiting, and at least had some eye contact and know we'll be up next. They were also attentive to the kids, to make sure they had a great time and helped them around the water activities or at the buffet. Kodos to Shamille @ the coral Cafe buffet, Jesse for the omelets/egg benedict, D.Voice with the kids, Richard @ Moonstone

Sorry it was long.. Hope this helps other tripadivsors

Room Tip: away from the main entrance, 2nd floor or higher, we stayed in 3233,3231 (joining), 3228 If you wan...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!