“Best Ever,Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Ontario
“Best Ever,Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Awesome place, We had just got back March,28,2015. Didn't want to leave. First morning though had a issue with the egg man but then I found Jesse and he made me eggs benedict every morning, top notch, The staff were out standing and food was amazing no complaints. Great variety. Our maid Morveen I think that's how to spell it, she was awesome and took great care of the room. Now the place was maxed with people but seemed like no on was there. No crowds at the buffet, restaurants no reservations but one. Wear dress shorts in every restaurant, No pants, it was great. Now the beach was amazing and snorkeling right of the beach. Excellent. Water park not busy, lots of fun anywhere on the resort never crowed, Beach chairs can get anytime of day, pool or beach no need to reserve. shopping just a short shuttle ride away right from the resort. All we can say we are coming back this time hopefully for two weeks.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Arrived at the Jewel on March 23rd, was in our room within 20 minutes. Room was great, had a Garden View, small jungle in front of us, loved it, close to lobby, beach, private. Our bathroom had a large closet with Mirror,safe, shower separate from bathroom. Had a balcony, TV, Alarm Clock, phone. Room had one large Dresser and another little closet to put all the "stuff" you drag with you. Had WiFi 100% of the time. Even had it on the beach!

We asked for a king, we ended up with two beds. I just don't get that? If I travel with my girlfriends, then we get Queen Beds, 2 of them.

When I called, they said put them together.... ha ha... moving furniture not my specialty. They did call me the next day and ask if I wanted to move. To which I said, no thanks, I'm unpacked. Plus the beds were so comfortable.

They also give you fresh towels, check in on you in the afternoon. We have a room with air conditioning that works, a fridge that is restocked every afternoon with juice, water, pop. A big closet, nice bathroom. Close to everything (2 minutes to breakfast). Close to beach.

We were in Building Two. We went to the water park and had a great time without having any children with us. We reverted back to kids for the moment. I had one kid swim under my tube and I thought he would drown, I was looking for him. His dad said "no worries, he swims like a fish". My granddaughter would love this resort (7). This is a great resort for families.

Beach: Great beach, lots of chairs, lots of towels. Shade for those that need it. Great snorkeling, beach grill that feeds you from 11 am to 6 am! Yes, the latest we were up was midnight, saved us on a few nights when we were hungry again.

Bars: Lots of bars, one on the beach, one at the swim up beach bar (don't forget this resort has children and the wading pool is next to the Beach Bar). A bar in the Hotel Lobby.

Disco: Great little disco. I noted that sometimes only our group was in there, they will play your requests.

Bar in lobby: Piano bar a couple of nights. Read the event/agenda schedule they put under your door every night. It's kind of like a cruise ship, where every evening they have different entertainment and they advise you what is going on the next day. Great Idea. One night, some kind of sports event was on and a lot of people were in there cheering.

Food - They have a restaurant off the Hotel Lobby, check it out. An Italian Restaurant down by the beach. A Japanese Restaurant which was great. Pizza, Pizza, Pizza... great Pizza, ate there once for supper, they have a different menu then lunch. We had a pool party and they kept the pizza coming for us! Food all great, you can't go hungry at this resort.

Beach Grill for lunch is great (Spaghetti and wraps) or you can go to Buffet. Food is huge for us, we like good food and The Jewel is very good at Food and Service. The staff are well trained and it shows along with their personalities.

Entertainment - We all thought the entertainment great. You can go to the Buffet for supper and nice music, then they entertain you. You can stay and watch or go to bed after eating too much.....

Egg Boy - I read about Egg Boy before I arrived at the resort. So I go to his Station in the morning breakfast buffet. He finds out I'm from Nova Scotia and starts naming off all the places he lived and worked in NS. He was doing fine until he told me he once lived in Ecum Secum. I laughed and said hardly anyone lives there, He's a hoot. I think he's been everywhere or he memorizes the world map. I walked by him again and a guy was telling Egg Boy he was from New York. Egg Boy was telling him all about New York. He can talk about anything. Very cool, we all had fun with him.

The rest of the staff: Very professional, very friendly, always asking if I was happy. The hotel called a couple of times to ask me if everything was fine, etc. I was happy, the sun shines every day, a breeze blows and all was good.

We went with Sunwing. Our flight late returning due to the horrible accident in Halifax a couple of nights before. Thankfully, nobody killed. Sign up for their arrival and departure notices if any delays, they will e-mail or text you.

Sunwing is good, we are fed, water, juice are offered a couple of times throughout flight. And we arrive home safe and sound to our families.

We go to Jamaica because the people are very good at what they do. The food is excellent in the resorts and the weather is perfect. 7 Days of sunshine and a breeze. Been to Dominican and Cuba, Jamaica our preference.

Friends - to the group that we travelled with, travelling with such a large group is kind of like travelling with all the relatives. You hang around a bit, you may disappear for a day or two, you may join in at the unplanned Pool party, you might play volleyball, you may lay on beach all day and meet up in the evening. You do what you want to do and if you feel like some company, there they are!! I heard that someone called our group "unruly". Calling us disorderly and disruptive and not amenable to discipline or control is a bit much. We are very polite, we're from NS!!!! We were having fun, maybe a little loud sometimes. I travel a lot and I can assure you that I travel with ladies and gentlemen that just want to have fun... still... at our age (ranging from 30 up to 55).

Oh and I learned a couple of new phases (1) Sweet baby Jesus and (2) Ooopsie.... so for those that thought we were "unruly", Ooopsie.... see you next year.... maybe

Room Tip: Building #1 is close tot he Waterpark Building #2 is in the middle and close to everything Buildin...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The property is small, which is a plus. It doesn't take very long to get anywhere, and there was always something going on. The beach is pristine and the water is just incredible. The staff were always friendly and accommodating. You could always get a good drink!! The food on the buffet was always good.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Japanese Restaurant (food), but the staff were just incredible.

The waterpark was great to spend time with our 5 year old granddaughter. The only issue I had with the waterpark were the silly rules about food. We were leaving the park to go back to our room, and we had our lunch with us. We were told we were not allowed to bring the food out of the waterpark, even though its the same resort. The long and short of it was we had to throw our food away, and then go 50 feet into the resort and order more food. Its just an irresponsible waste - especially given the poverty in the surrounding area of the resort.

We felt very safe on the property. The wifi in not very good at all.

Some of the shows were really good. OJ (swim up bar) makes an excellent "dirty" lady - his specialty. Mornings were always fun chatting with Egg Boy! He is a walking encyclopedia of geographical information.

This resort does cater to families, which was great. If you are looking for a more adults only resort, the Jewel Paradise is just down the road. We visited it, and will likely stay there should we go back without small children.

Oh, make sure you bring lots of bug spray. Mosquitos were bad first thing in the morning and at dusk!

Room Tip: Some ground floor rooms have private plunge pools for the same price.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My wife and I, with our son and daughter in their early 20’s stayed for a week (Feb 13th – 20th, 2015). We celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary. This was our 2nd year in a row visiting Jamaica (1st time at JRB) with the family, and 3rd time for my wife and I (Honeymoon).

What a beautiful resort!! Everything was amazing: Food, Rooms, Staff, Beach, Bars, and Entertainment.

We read so many reviews prior to booking and I can say that all of our expectations were exceeded!!

Food:
Platinum: Loved the Steak and Lobster, and the presentation of our dishes. Also had an amazing Jamaican Breakfast there.
Court Jesters: Pizza was excellent. We asked for thin crust and it was prepared perfectly. Special thanks to Tashana who greeted us every day with a big smile, and our server Anne Marie, who’s been working there for over 20 years. Not only do they serve Pizza, they also serve delicious grilled Shrimp and Scallop skewers at dinner, as well as, Lobster Mac and Cheese.
Jade Samurai: Very good; fun; and entertaining. The Sushi bar was very good, as well.
Moonstones: Chicken Parm dish was very good.
Aquamarina Grill: Variety of items, Jerk Chicken was very good.
Coral Buffet: Great variety of food including authentic Jamaican dishes. Breakfast was great!! Egg boy kept us entertained. He can name almost every city in North America including small towns (hilarious!!).

Both our rooms were very nice, clean, and comfortable (stayed in Bldg 3, 2nd floor, closer to lobby). Loved the Bathroom setup, and very impressed with the Turndown service offered.

Free Wi-Fi was overall good throughout the resort, except for a few areas having weaker reception.

The entire Staff was exceptional (polite, friendly, cheerful), constantly asking if we were enjoying our vacation. You could see they really cared about their guests. They all work very hard! One highlight was when my son asked one of the grounds keeper for a fresh coconut off the tree. He quickly climbed up the tree and tossed down several coconuts to his buddy who prepared them for drinking the fresh coconut water. What a great treat that was!!

The beach was beautiful and kept really clean. It extended off the resort, so you could walk along the shore for a stretch of about 1 km, which was very nice. Beach Volleyball was fun!! Thanks to our team captain, Whoopi!

Our number one tropical drink, Dirty Banana with extra Rum Cream was great, especially when our favourite Bartender Leonardo went out of his way to round up more bananas, as we depleted his stock. Thanks Leonardo, you’re the best!!

Entertainment:
The Entertainment Team was great (Sparkle, Purple, etc…), and the nightly shows were very good, especially the Steel Drum Band (Silver Birds), but I have to say that the House Band (Interactive Roots) were fantastic!! We loved and enjoyed their music every night. They introduced us to Beres Hammond songs. Can’t stop listening to ‘Rockaway’. Keep in mind that each night when ‘Showtime’ is over, the House Band resumes and continues to play great music. Loved it!!!!

Following that, headed over to the Piano Bar in the lobby every night. The Piano man handed out song lyrics so everyone could join in on the fun. Great way to enjoy the rest of the evening and end the night!

We are so happy that we chose the Jewel Runaway Bay!!!
I am recommending this resort to everyone.

We hope to return again next year!! Looking forward to the new Waterpark.
Thanks to everyone at JRB for making our family vacation wonderful!!

Domenic, Gina, Joe, & Sera

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Smithville, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We travelled to Jewel Runaway Bay March 20-27 with 11 of us..7 adults,( ages 24-56) two 4 year olds ,a two yr old and a 4 month old..We travelled with Sunwing Vacations and it was great right from the get go. We had selected this property as we wanted a resort suited to families and it certainly was. Although it took a bit long to get through customs and immigration upon arrival in MoBay airport it did not dampen our spirits in any way..all part of the vacation. Since the resort itself is responsible for transferring you to the resort they were fairly quick and we had no other stops on our way to it. Upon arrival checkin was so easy and they had our keys ready and we were welcomed with cold drinks and towels. We had asked for rooms near each other and that is what we got..one family asked to be placed on the ground floor due to using a stroller and our bellhop immediately took care of this. Our rooms were the Premium rooms(lead in category)..mini fridge in every room supplied daily with water and pop..if you want alcohol here just ask and it will be brought up.The bathrooms all had a large glass shower, always lots of hot water and tons of storage space. Your safe is free in your room . The staff here was wonderful, the food was so good at the Coral buffet and supplied nightly entertainment for the family.See Chef Frederik if you want anything special done! We ate at the Italian and their tomato soup is amazing! The Japanese(requires reservations) was also very good. The pizza place has a great selection as well. We also ate in the Platinum one night and the presentation was so delightful..even the kiddos got a Mr Potato Head beside their meals. The resort also offers a good kids menu and a wonderful kids program..we were supplied with sand toys for the beach and just returned them at the end of our stay. Since we had a 4 month old we often rented a cabana for $50.00USD per day to keep the little one out of the hot sun..here again the staff was constantly by asking us what we would like from the bar and if they could do anything else for us. We were even able to rent a cabana half day at the waterpark and half day at the pool..and that waterpark..quite something for all ages with its lazy river, slides and swimming areas. It also has a great snack bar right on site..lots of great things to eat everywhere you are on this resort. And the beach..nice and wide and the water so beautiful and great for snorkeling with its coral reef just out side the marked off buoy area.. They also offer free glass bottom boat rides 3x a day(no cost). The Dive/Scuba shop sits right off the beach and here you can rent just about anything required for your water sports..go further down the beach and you can go horseback riding as well. We also had the Photo shop take some family shots for us. The resort is all it says it is and more..is it a big party place?? no..but it sure is a wonderful family resort! Thank you Scott for running a great ship!!

Room Tip: rooms on the west side are very good and actually quite quiet as the waterpark is on the east side...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Doreen,
thank you so much for staying with us and your awesome review. when are you coming back down? thanks again
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This was a rare family trip for our 18, 16, 13 & 10 year old and it did not disappoint anyone. The resort was immaculate, the food delicious, the nightly shows entertaining & the staff outstanding! Claudia, Shamille, D Voice and countless others made us feel so comfortable & entertained the kids as if they had known each other for years. The Jamaican "no problem" attitude was clearly evident and greatly appreciated. We can't thank the Jewel Runaway Bay enough for making this our Trip of a lifetime!

Tip for families with kids: shoes and proper swimwear cover ups are required for the buffet area and it is not posted.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear guest,
thank you for staying with us. I am glad to hear that your family enjoyed themselves. Thank you for the tip. I will rectify that.
Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I spent a few days at the Jewel Bay Resort and were glad we hadn't booked more. The staff were friendly, the water park was a lot of fun, and the main areas were kept clean. Unfortunately, our room left something to be desired. It smelled extremely musty, the bathroom was always wet with humidity, and the cleaning people left a stack of used toothbrushes on our bathroom counter one of the days (they weren't ours, perhaps they are used for cleaning?). The food was quite good, but the drinks were less than impressive. The wine tasted horrible and the pina coladas were watery/runny. Wifi was spotty in the room. Finally, we investigated the price of booking a room for some friends and asked others at the resort how much they had paid for rooms, and discovered that we were being charged 35% more than others at the resort. When we inquired with the front desk, we were informed that "prices change" and we would not be able to expect a similar rate. In my opinion, paying $160 more per night than other guests is a significant and unacceptable difference. Given our disappointment with the room and our feeling of being overcharged for mediocre service and products, we will definitely not be staying at this resort again.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us. I always tell everyone that if you want a particular room with a particular view please book and pay for that room and not rely on free upgrades or telling us how much you are going to bash us on tripadvisor to get the upgrade.

thanks again for staying with us and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations.
regards,
Scott

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!