“A Gem on Runaway Bay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Massachusetts
“A Gem on Runaway Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We have been to Jewel Dunns River six times, this year was our seventh but chose to spend some time at Runaway Bay. Below'

Just spent two nights at this resort and was more than impressed. The only reason we have never stayed here is because our children are grown ups. Quite honestly I didn't notice the children, there is so much for them to do. It has to be the greatest place on earth for parents, somewhat like Butlins in Britain where the children are taken care of all day if you wish. Kids club and dinner, how great is that. I also found out talking to the GM who is so layed back, (and it is not advertised), they actually have a laser park for the children by the golf course, and underground transportation to take you there. Unfortunately we didn't have time to go over and see that.

We only ate at the Moonstone restaurant, it was great we ate Sushi which was abundant, not a connoisseur but Pizza was excellent and the breakfast buffet was exceptional. I have never seen so much choice. There was Eggboy who only cooked eggs and then an omelet station too, most unusual.

The grounds are beautiful, well manicured and very pretty, nice to just walk around and take in the sights. Pools are

The beach is excellent, always plenty of room and lots of sun or shade.

The staff needless to say are also the best, the most pleasant people ever. We always take the time to chat and find out what's happening, who knows who etc., it's surprising how many people know each other in the area.

I think what surprises us most is that the GM of this resort takes the time to answer tripadvisor reviews, that says a lot. He's a genuine person and says it like it is, and believe me, the staff have a lot of respect for him, he gets the job done. (Although he steals staff from other Jewel resorts.)

Coming soon is a new water park, it's going to be just amazing and I'm sure there will be enough lifeguards from what we're hearing, to cover all the blind spots. A lazy river with waterfalls, cabanas for rent, from tots to teens, sounds like Disney in Jamaica for a lot less money. (Maybe I'll have to put it on my bucket list.)

All in all if I had young children or teenagers I would consider this resort to be my number one choice, because I would be comfortable leaving my children for a few hours, maybe dinner also if they so chose. Great to have those choices both for them and us.

Room Tip: No bad rooms, some with plunge pools which looked really nice from the outside. People are saying th...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
Sand Lake, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Attended our nephews wedding at the Jewel on December 15th. Our overall experience at the resort was fantastic as all the employees seem to really love their jobs and make you feel like you are important to them. I would like to single out a couple of employees who really seemed to stand out to go above to make our stay very enjoyable. Whoopie is certainly at gem to have at the Jewel! Another shout out would go to Omar who was the photographer at my nephews wedding. Despite the rain Omar was AWESOME at capturing the memories! Omar's professionalism and personality was excellent making the wedding experience truly enjoyable! If you are planning a wedding at the Jewel I would highly reccomend Omar as your photographer you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear guest,
thank you very much for staying with us. We too think Omar and Whoopie are great.
Come back soon.
Shanklin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We could not fault the hotel, grounds very well maintained, excellent choice of food, comfortable room with huge bed and jet shower.
Lovely beach that was cleaned every day, with plenty of sunbeds. Towels could of been available a bit earlier in the morning though.
Very polite, friendly staff who made sure we were well catered for. Excellent choice of food, with a variety of restaurants to choose from. Choice of cocktails and premium drinks at bars were very good, with us especially enjoying the Rum Cream :)
Room service was good, with beds turned down every night aswell, fridge was stocked daily.
Did have a problem with getting bitten by mosquito's in the room and lobby area and repellent didn't seem to make any difference.
We did have a bit of bad weather, with some cloudy days and a couple of rainy periods, but temperatures were always high, so didn't really affect us.
All in all found this to be a very relaxing all-inclusive holiday which was what we wanted.

Room Tip: We chose a standard double room which was perfect as they are all near the beach. Glad we didn't...
Dear guest,
thank you very much for staying with us as well as your feedback.
regards,
Hanson MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My family of 8 just returned from a 6 day vacation at Jewel Runaway Bay. We were lucky in that we arrived the evening that the torrential rains stopped. The next morning the beach was full of debris but they had it cleaned up by the end of the day. I guess this was the first day the sun was out and people were able to venture out of their rooms.

We had 4 rooms. My husband and I were in 1016 - an ocean front junior suite with a plunge pool. The room was excellent and we were less than 100 feet from the small pool and the beach- what more could you ask for? the kids were all in the 3000 building on the second floor- it said ocean view but they really looked out on the main pool.

Regarding mosquitos - I read a lot of reviews where there were complaints about the bugs. we stocked up on bug spray but did not have to use it once. I never had an issue with mosquitos and we kept our sliding door open a lot.

The plunge pool was cold so we did not use it a lot - it would be better if they were heated. Ours was in the shade so it was never warmed up by the sun. Its a great concept but just falls a little short. The ocean was warmer than the plunge pool and the other main pools. however the ocean front suite was worth the cost. we were down to the west side of the beach so less crowded, no issues getting chairs, and nice to be able to walk back and forth to the room.

Restaurants- the best thing about this resort is there is so many options. I have only been at one other AI and the options were very limited to the buffet. here you can have the buffet, Italian, Japanese, burgers, and pizza. My kids are traditional American eaters so many meals were eaten at the grill and pizza place. They also loved the breakfast at the buffet. They loved the French toast, pancakes, omlettes and eggs cooked to order. We did Japanese twice - the fried rice and shrimp were excellent. the lychee and green tea ice cream were very good. they loved the burgers and jerked chicken burger from grill. They were only disappointed when the grill had to close for the Italian restaurant to open. We went to Italian once which received mixed reviews. The pasta bar was disappointing since most of the options were not available. But the folks that ordered off the menu were happy - chix parm and steak skewers.

One thing we did not know that we learned near the end of our trip is the pizza place has an expanded menu for dinner - check it out - it was delicious. We had chicken, pork, sugar cane shrimp, and duck pizza, and the desserts were excellent (cheese cake cigars and chocolate cake with ice cream). Voted one of our best meals!

We never made it to Platinum- my kids did not like the menu. Another tip- the menus change for Platinum, Japanese and Pizza on Sundays.

Excursions- I booked my excursions independently to save money. We did Blue Hole (really the best value on the island - you can skip Dunns River if you do Blue Hole), Mystic Mountain bob sledding and zip lining (a lot of fun but I think it is very over priced for what you get), Calypso Tubing (fun and relaxing and not that expensive). We did go to Margaritaville and downtime Ochos shopping. I booked independent transportation which was nice but I also thought I paid too much for this. We also did the snorkeling at the resort ($15/person) which I think was the second best value on the island. It was a short boat ride out to the reef and 30 minutes of snorkeling which was good for me. Multiple small fish and very pretty coral reefs. I really enjoyed it.

Entertainment- the resort does a great job organizing activities and night time entertainment. The circus and steel drum band were both very good.

We really enjoyed our vacation. I would say it is not a 5 star resort but a very clean, well maintained 4 star resort.

Regarding the wifi - it is free and available in the rooms but strength of signal is poor (at least where we were)

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest
Thank you so much for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay. I am glad that you enjoyed yourself at the resort.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This was our first all-inclusive in Jamaica and it was very well worth it. The grounds were well kept and the employees did this on a daily basis. Overall, the food was delicious with the exception of the sushi restaraunt which was probably the worse sushi I've ever had. The best restaraunts were the Jade Samurai (Japanese), the Moon (italian), Platinum (caribbean), and the Court Jester (pizza place). The coral cafe was great because it is open to the ocean and provided a nice atmosphere. There was always plenty of lounging chairs on the beach and by the pool but just some advice: take your beach towel and claim yours early in the morning to get the best seats. Water activities: snorkeling is free if you just borrow their gear and swim within the roped area. If you opt to go out to sea it is $15 but you must sign up a day in advance, the same applies for the bottom glass boat. They also have tennis and basketball courts where you can play a few rounds anytime of the day or night. The staff were very nice but nothing I can say was over the top with the exception of a few staff members. This was definitely the most relaxing vacation I have been on and would highly recommend. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time from the airport to the resort. It took us 4 hours between immigration and the bus ride. They really do run on caribbean time (slow as snails). Also, on your way back home expect to be leaving 4 hours before your flight so plan accordingly to enjoy all of your time there :) enjoy!!!

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear guest,
thank you for staying with us on your first all inclusive trip. We do hope you return soon.
Ashburn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My boyfriend at the time and I had the opportunity to spend the day at the JRB as our excursion while in port from our cruise. Well worth the money and the memories priceless. This review is a little late our day trip to the JRB was (Nov 18th), but I wanted to pass on our experience and if helpful for others if the option for crusing takes you to Jamaica then definitely use "Resort for the Day which is under link for FAQ on the Jewel's main page. It was a very easy process but the only problem that we encountered was that we could have been on the bus by 8 am at the Jewel by 9:00am but our paperwork stated 9:15am, wish if we had known but had no way of getting a hold of local drivers to confirm this. We were taken to the JRB from the Falmouth port and had to switch buses since we were the only couple going to the JRB, it was nice to have had our own private driver. Saw new areas of Ochio Rios that I hadn't seen before and just a beautiful island. We were given a warm welcome by Shurline, which it was like we had just been there yesterday. Our last trip was May 2014 for a week. I was going to treasure the day add to my memories, it was only 5 hours and oh I wish we didn't have to go back to the boat. We made the best of it and I will take awway the wonderful memories floating in the pool, and that beautiful Jamaican waters so refreshing and the Best Beach in Jamaica. We just love the beach and it was an amazing. We spent the day drinking and ate just before we had to go back to the boat.Also took some of the wonderful Jerk Chicken back to the boat with us. It was amazing as usual. We connected again with Whitney at the Infinity pool and our wonderful bartenders Garnett and Alshane both took care of us fixing dirty banana mudslides and some other great drinks lost track of what we were drinking but kept coming until we had to leave. We finally got to meet Scott Robbins on our way out. Shurline was with us and Scott you have a gem of an employee and all your staff is amazing and that is why we continuously come back to the resort. We also just love the resort, relaxing and just a serene environment that escaping from the real world and this is the place to do it. It was very nice to meet you Scott Robbins especially after 4 trips to the resort, you have an amazing resort. I know I am always speaking the praise and telling folks about this gem of a resort. I love all the renovations that have been done so far to the property. This truly is a second home, I do hope one day to come back to the Jewel, it holds a special place in my heart and the memories and the amazing people that I have met and which a couple I stay in touch with I will treasure. I could see me spending a lot of time just wasting away and relaxing away from the rat race of the real world. When the next opportunity comes to making my reservations to Jamaica, there won't be a second thought of where to stay JRB is where I will be. Wishing the JRB staff and your families a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. 2015 is going to be an amazing year for the JRB.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Hi Christina,
thank you for you review and we look forward to when you stay here for longer than a day.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

(Pros) Accommodations were very nice. Food was decent. Main restaurant for the evening dining at the main hotel was hands above all others. Drinks selections were very good and enjoyable. Very friendly staff in all venues.

(Cons) Bring the mosquito spray you will need it. Golf course - don't bother to drag you're clubs along. Go play one round with rental clubs and that is all you will need. Course is not in very good shape. Not the best well kept.

Overall I would go back again (3.5 out of 50) but skip the golfing option.

Room Tip: There was suppose to be a charge to get the in-room wi-fi. However, we were able to connect w/o payi...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear guest,
thank you for staying with us as well as your feedback
Scott

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!