“Great all-inclusive hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Shanklin, United Kingdom
“Great all-inclusive hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We could not fault the hotel, grounds very well maintained, excellent choice of food, comfortable room with huge bed and jet shower.
Lovely beach that was cleaned every day, with plenty of sunbeds. Towels could of been available a bit earlier in the morning though.
Very polite, friendly staff who made sure we were well catered for. Excellent choice of food, with a variety of restaurants to choose from. Choice of cocktails and premium drinks at bars were very good, with us especially enjoying the Rum Cream :)
Room service was good, with beds turned down every night aswell, fridge was stocked daily.
Did have a problem with getting bitten by mosquito's in the room and lobby area and repellent didn't seem to make any difference.
We did have a bit of bad weather, with some cloudy days and a couple of rainy periods, but temperatures were always high, so didn't really affect us.
All in all found this to be a very relaxing all-inclusive holiday which was what we wanted.

Room Tip: We chose a standard double room which was perfect as they are all near the beach. Glad we didn't...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
Hanson MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My family of 8 just returned from a 6 day vacation at Jewel Runaway Bay. We were lucky in that we arrived the evening that the torrential rains stopped. The next morning the beach was full of debris but they had it cleaned up by the end of the day. I guess this was the first day the sun was out and people were able to venture out of their rooms.

We had 4 rooms. My husband and I were in 1016 - an ocean front junior suite with a plunge pool. The room was excellent and we were less than 100 feet from the small pool and the beach- what more could you ask for? the kids were all in the 3000 building on the second floor- it said ocean view but they really looked out on the main pool.

Regarding mosquitos - I read a lot of reviews where there were complaints about the bugs. we stocked up on bug spray but did not have to use it once. I never had an issue with mosquitos and we kept our sliding door open a lot.

The plunge pool was cold so we did not use it a lot - it would be better if they were heated. Ours was in the shade so it was never warmed up by the sun. Its a great concept but just falls a little short. The ocean was warmer than the plunge pool and the other main pools. however the ocean front suite was worth the cost. we were down to the west side of the beach so less crowded, no issues getting chairs, and nice to be able to walk back and forth to the room.

Restaurants- the best thing about this resort is there is so many options. I have only been at one other AI and the options were very limited to the buffet. here you can have the buffet, Italian, Japanese, burgers, and pizza. My kids are traditional American eaters so many meals were eaten at the grill and pizza place. They also loved the breakfast at the buffet. They loved the French toast, pancakes, omlettes and eggs cooked to order. We did Japanese twice - the fried rice and shrimp were excellent. the lychee and green tea ice cream were very good. they loved the burgers and jerked chicken burger from grill. They were only disappointed when the grill had to close for the Italian restaurant to open. We went to Italian once which received mixed reviews. The pasta bar was disappointing since most of the options were not available. But the folks that ordered off the menu were happy - chix parm and steak skewers.

One thing we did not know that we learned near the end of our trip is the pizza place has an expanded menu for dinner - check it out - it was delicious. We had chicken, pork, sugar cane shrimp, and duck pizza, and the desserts were excellent (cheese cake cigars and chocolate cake with ice cream). Voted one of our best meals!

We never made it to Platinum- my kids did not like the menu. Another tip- the menus change for Platinum, Japanese and Pizza on Sundays.

Excursions- I booked my excursions independently to save money. We did Blue Hole (really the best value on the island - you can skip Dunns River if you do Blue Hole), Mystic Mountain bob sledding and zip lining (a lot of fun but I think it is very over priced for what you get), Calypso Tubing (fun and relaxing and not that expensive). We did go to Margaritaville and downtime Ochos shopping. I booked independent transportation which was nice but I also thought I paid too much for this. We also did the snorkeling at the resort ($15/person) which I think was the second best value on the island. It was a short boat ride out to the reef and 30 minutes of snorkeling which was good for me. Multiple small fish and very pretty coral reefs. I really enjoyed it.

Entertainment- the resort does a great job organizing activities and night time entertainment. The circus and steel drum band were both very good.

We really enjoyed our vacation. I would say it is not a 5 star resort but a very clean, well maintained 4 star resort.

Regarding the wifi - it is free and available in the rooms but strength of signal is poor (at least where we were)

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This was our first all-inclusive in Jamaica and it was very well worth it. The grounds were well kept and the employees did this on a daily basis. Overall, the food was delicious with the exception of the sushi restaraunt which was probably the worse sushi I've ever had. The best restaraunts were the Jade Samurai (Japanese), the Moon (italian), Platinum (caribbean), and the Court Jester (pizza place). The coral cafe was great because it is open to the ocean and provided a nice atmosphere. There was always plenty of lounging chairs on the beach and by the pool but just some advice: take your beach towel and claim yours early in the morning to get the best seats. Water activities: snorkeling is free if you just borrow their gear and swim within the roped area. If you opt to go out to sea it is $15 but you must sign up a day in advance, the same applies for the bottom glass boat. They also have tennis and basketball courts where you can play a few rounds anytime of the day or night. The staff were very nice but nothing I can say was over the top with the exception of a few staff members. This was definitely the most relaxing vacation I have been on and would highly recommend. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time from the airport to the resort. It took us 4 hours between immigration and the bus ride. They really do run on caribbean time (slow as snails). Also, on your way back home expect to be leaving 4 hours before your flight so plan accordingly to enjoy all of your time there :) enjoy!!!

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear guest,
thank you for staying with us on your first all inclusive trip. We do hope you return soon.
Ashburn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My boyfriend at the time and I had the opportunity to spend the day at the JRB as our excursion while in port from our cruise. Well worth the money and the memories priceless. This review is a little late our day trip to the JRB was (Nov 18th), but I wanted to pass on our experience and if helpful for others if the option for crusing takes you to Jamaica then definitely use "Resort for the Day which is under link for FAQ on the Jewel's main page. It was a very easy process but the only problem that we encountered was that we could have been on the bus by 8 am at the Jewel by 9:00am but our paperwork stated 9:15am, wish if we had known but had no way of getting a hold of local drivers to confirm this. We were taken to the JRB from the Falmouth port and had to switch buses since we were the only couple going to the JRB, it was nice to have had our own private driver. Saw new areas of Ochio Rios that I hadn't seen before and just a beautiful island. We were given a warm welcome by Shurline, which it was like we had just been there yesterday. Our last trip was May 2014 for a week. I was going to treasure the day add to my memories, it was only 5 hours and oh I wish we didn't have to go back to the boat. We made the best of it and I will take awway the wonderful memories floating in the pool, and that beautiful Jamaican waters so refreshing and the Best Beach in Jamaica. We just love the beach and it was an amazing. We spent the day drinking and ate just before we had to go back to the boat.Also took some of the wonderful Jerk Chicken back to the boat with us. It was amazing as usual. We connected again with Whitney at the Infinity pool and our wonderful bartenders Garnett and Alshane both took care of us fixing dirty banana mudslides and some other great drinks lost track of what we were drinking but kept coming until we had to leave. We finally got to meet Scott Robbins on our way out. Shurline was with us and Scott you have a gem of an employee and all your staff is amazing and that is why we continuously come back to the resort. We also just love the resort, relaxing and just a serene environment that escaping from the real world and this is the place to do it. It was very nice to meet you Scott Robbins especially after 4 trips to the resort, you have an amazing resort. I know I am always speaking the praise and telling folks about this gem of a resort. I love all the renovations that have been done so far to the property. This truly is a second home, I do hope one day to come back to the Jewel, it holds a special place in my heart and the memories and the amazing people that I have met and which a couple I stay in touch with I will treasure. I could see me spending a lot of time just wasting away and relaxing away from the rat race of the real world. When the next opportunity comes to making my reservations to Jamaica, there won't be a second thought of where to stay JRB is where I will be. Wishing the JRB staff and your families a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. 2015 is going to be an amazing year for the JRB.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Hi Christina,
thank you for you review and we look forward to when you stay here for longer than a day.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

(Pros) Accommodations were very nice. Food was decent. Main restaurant for the evening dining at the main hotel was hands above all others. Drinks selections were very good and enjoyable. Very friendly staff in all venues.

(Cons) Bring the mosquito spray you will need it. Golf course - don't bother to drag you're clubs along. Go play one round with rental clubs and that is all you will need. Course is not in very good shape. Not the best well kept.

Overall I would go back again (3.5 out of 50) but skip the golfing option.

Room Tip: There was suppose to be a charge to get the in-room wi-fi. However, we were able to connect w/o payi...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear guest,
thank you for staying with us as well as your feedback
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Despite the rain and dreary sky, we spent an amazing honeymoon week at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort Nov. 29 - Dec. 6. We arrived in Montego Bay early Saturday afternoon, waited through everything for about 90 minutes, then made our way to the JTL transfer bus to the resort. Navigating the airport and transportation was a breeze. It only took an hour to reach JRB, our driver did not stop along the way. Check-in was fast and efficient. We did not upgrade. The standard room with one (huge) king sized bed was more than adequate for us homeymooners. The plunge pool rooms are a nice concept, but I did not notice one guest in any plunge pool, that I could see, the entire week. If you like privacy in the bathroom, you would be disappointed in the one in our room. There was no bathroom door, and the toilet was separated only by frosted glass, and the shower wide open with 1/2 glass door. But again, it was fine for us honeymooners! Our room was on the second floor in the 3100 block, a short walk up and down the steps to everything. We were prepared for the mosquitos with insect spray ~ never even opened the can, not one single mosquito bite all week. We had breakfast each moring at the Coral Cafe open air buffet style dining room, choices abundant. fruit unbelievable, and Egg Boy awesome. For lunch, we ate pizza and burgers/sandwiches at the beach grill, all delicious. I craved the cheeseburgers after returning home. We tried all the restaurants for dinner, except for the sushi place (which is located within the Jade Samurai). The Jade Samurai was our favorite, we ate there two nights, the food so good, but small portions. Meals at Platinum are served in a quirky way, but the food enjoyable and filled us up. We never had to wait more than a few minutes anywhere for any type of service, food or drinks. The pools were very clean. Plenty of pool and lounge chairs at the beach, towels were always available. We spent most of our days on the beach. The water was choppy most days and water sports closed for the majority of time we were there, no fault of the resort. We did go out on the Hobie Cat once and got some beautiful pictures. We really wanted to snorkle. Plenty of organized activities throughout the day if you choose to participate. The evening entertainment did, in deed, keep us entertained. Our favorite was the staff/guest talent show. We got a couples massage together at the Radiant Spa, it was average, wouldn't do it again. Also got a very disappointing manicure, wasted time and money on that one. The resort grounds are meticulously maintained, as are all the dining areas and lobby. We had no issues with Wi-Fi, connected all through the resort and room. The gift shop offers all the essentials at fair prices. The resort allows selected vendors in to set up and peddle their goods some evenings. Several vendors we encountered were over-the-top pushy and left me quite uncomfortable to the point we avoided the area completely when they were there. Our overall experience was excellent, and we would happily recommend Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to anyone, and we look forward to returning.

We left the resort only one time for a day of sightseeing and shopping. We hired a driver, Christopher Linton, from chrisjamaicatours.com. Chris was awesome, and we highly recommend him if you're in need of any type of transportation or guide or excursion off the resort. We contacted Chris a few weeks before our trip via email and planned a day of activities. From the initial email through follow up after we were back home, Chris was incredibly knowledgeable, friendly, polite and professional. The weather didn't cooperate with our day as planned, and Chris adapted well. We went to the Blue Hole (sorta brownish the day we went), but nonetheless, it was an incredible experience jumping in those raging waters! He took us shopping and out to lunch. His van was clean and roomy, his driving safe. Chris is very personable and he is up-front with his rates, which are very reasonable. He will take you where you want or make recommendations on where to go. We will definitely use his services again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for staying with us at JRB. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your entire stay with us and hope you return soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My girlfriend and I stayed at Jewel Runaway Bay from December 7-14. After many months of searching for the right Jamaican vacation, we trusted the reviews of this Resort and decided to book.. and were not disappointed!

This may be cited as a 4-star Resort but it certainly felt like 5-star. The food and staff were great! The only restaurant needing to be reserved in advance is the Japanese one, which was a very neat concept where the a group of people (8-10) will sit around the table and the chef cooks the food right in front of you while being entertaining (telling jokes, making the food in funny ways, etc). The Platinum restaurant was also excellent and presented the food in a fun way (won't ruin the surprises). The Italian restaurant was also good, and there's a "take-out" area between the pool and buffet that is open from 10am-6am where the chef will cook you a snack at all hours. As for the main buffet, the food was good however got kinda tired of it by the end of the week as it was mostly the same foods all week (but that is expected with mot resorts, so can't complain).
The rooms were nice and were attended to twice a day by staff (the maid/those refilling the fridge). As other reviews stated there is the odd mosquitoes that get into the room and attempt to annoy you. I found a crack in the sliding patio doors that I believe they get in from, but this isn't annoying enough to spoil the trip (plus minimal time should be spent in the room anyways-- you on vacation mon!). A safe, ironing board and stocked bar fridge (soft drinks) are all included for free. Free Wifi was included throughout the resort, however the signal was very weak in the room and around the pool area; best to go to the Lobby as signal was strongest there. The hotel grounds were in good shape and would constantly see maintenance workers on site. There is volleyball nets, air hockey & ping pong, and constant entertainment by the staff to keep you or your kids busy all day (is even a "teens and tweens" center with xbox games and pool tables).

As for the beach (the whole reason of our trip), it was great despite the weather being overcast or rainy most of the time. When we first arrived on Sunday the shoreline was filled with seaweed that had been pushed up by the waves, however the next morning there was about 6 workers cleaning it all and it looked great the rest of the trip. The swimming section feels fairly small but that is to prevent people from swimming into the nearby coral reefs. Goggles/snorkels are available for FREE (2-hour limit), as well as the Glass Bottom boat tour being free. Both are highly recommended as you see some cool tropical fish in the area.

Overall I would rate this resort as 4.5/5. My past 2 vacations were to Bahia Principe resorts, which always feel massive and need transit just to get from the lobby to the beach. The smaller, more compact feel of Jewel was great and we could walk from any end of the resort to the other within 5 minutes. If you are debating this resort I will highly recommend you to book it-- you will not be disappointed!

PS. The Dunn's River Falls tour is a MUST DO excursion. It involved a catamaran boat ride which included snorkelling, dunn's river tour guides and a PARTY on the way back (give you unlimited drinks and with a party DJ on board and the staff entertainers doing a great job-- a great time for ppl of all ages). Also did the river tubing/zipling excursion, which was okay but much more 'relaxed' then i was expecting.

YEA MON!!!

Dear Bobby,
thank you so much for visiting us and your insightful review.
We do hope you return soon.
Scott

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!