My family of 8 just returned from a 6 day vacation at Jewel Runaway Bay. We were lucky in that we arrived the evening that the torrential rains stopped. The next morning the beach was full of debris but they had it cleaned up by the end of the day. I guess this was the first day the sun was out and people were able to venture out of their rooms.
We had 4 rooms. My husband and I were in 1016 - an ocean front junior suite with a plunge pool. The room was excellent and we were less than 100 feet from the small pool and the beach- what more could you ask for? the kids were all in the 3000 building on the second floor- it said ocean view but they really looked out on the main pool.
Regarding mosquitos - I read a lot of reviews where there were complaints about the bugs. we stocked up on bug spray but did not have to use it once. I never had an issue with mosquitos and we kept our sliding door open a lot.
The plunge pool was cold so we did not use it a lot - it would be better if they were heated. Ours was in the shade so it was never warmed up by the sun. Its a great concept but just falls a little short. The ocean was warmer than the plunge pool and the other main pools. however the ocean front suite was worth the cost. we were down to the west side of the beach so less crowded, no issues getting chairs, and nice to be able to walk back and forth to the room.
Restaurants- the best thing about this resort is there is so many options. I have only been at one other AI and the options were very limited to the buffet. here you can have the buffet, Italian, Japanese, burgers, and pizza. My kids are traditional American eaters so many meals were eaten at the grill and pizza place. They also loved the breakfast at the buffet. They loved the French toast, pancakes, omlettes and eggs cooked to order. We did Japanese twice - the fried rice and shrimp were excellent. the lychee and green tea ice cream were very good. they loved the burgers and jerked chicken burger from grill. They were only disappointed when the grill had to close for the Italian restaurant to open. We went to Italian once which received mixed reviews. The pasta bar was disappointing since most of the options were not available. But the folks that ordered off the menu were happy - chix parm and steak skewers.
One thing we did not know that we learned near the end of our trip is the pizza place has an expanded menu for dinner - check it out - it was delicious. We had chicken, pork, sugar cane shrimp, and duck pizza, and the desserts were excellent (cheese cake cigars and chocolate cake with ice cream). Voted one of our best meals!
We never made it to Platinum- my kids did not like the menu. Another tip- the menus change for Platinum, Japanese and Pizza on Sundays.
Excursions- I booked my excursions independently to save money. We did Blue Hole (really the best value on the island - you can skip Dunns River if you do Blue Hole), Mystic Mountain bob sledding and zip lining (a lot of fun but I think it is very over priced for what you get), Calypso Tubing (fun and relaxing and not that expensive). We did go to Margaritaville and downtime Ochos shopping. I booked independent transportation which was nice but I also thought I paid too much for this. We also did the snorkeling at the resort ($15/person) which I think was the second best value on the island. It was a short boat ride out to the reef and 30 minutes of snorkeling which was good for me. Multiple small fish and very pretty coral reefs. I really enjoyed it.
Entertainment- the resort does a great job organizing activities and night time entertainment. The circus and steel drum band were both very good.
We really enjoyed our vacation. I would say it is not a 5 star resort but a very clean, well maintained 4 star resort.
Regarding the wifi - it is free and available in the rooms but strength of signal is poor (at least where we were)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, one of the most complete all-inclusive resorts in the world. Located on 22 lush, oceanfront acres of Jamaica's famed north coast, this spectacular resort offers some of the best SCUBA and golf on the island. Unwind in our new plunge pool suites. Indulge in our new full-service spa. Dine around at up to 5 different restaurants and 5 different free-flowing bars including a swim-up pool bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breezes Runaway Bay Resort And Golf Club
- Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club Hotel Runaway Bay
- Breezes Runaway Bay Jamaica
- Breezes Runaway Bay Hotel
- Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort Jamaica