“The jewel in paradise.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
Phoenix, AZ
“The jewel in paradise.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Just returned from 10 glorious days at Jewel Runaway Bay. Our first time at a Jewel or in Jamaica and wanted to share some thoughts.

After a long day of flying and an hour plus on a bus we were welcomed by Delaney at the front desk. He couldn't have been better. He personally showed us several rooms that he had to offer (we booked a standard room but wanted to upgrade) which took about half an hour but he was nothing but pleasant the entire time. We chose an ocean front with a plunge pool on the third floor, best room in the house! On multiple occasions on our way through the front desk area Delaney made it a point to greet us and make sure everything was good. The first morning we were there we received a call from Komesha (probably spelling her name wrong, sorry!) at the concierge desk also asking how everything was, we had a problem with the lock on the door which was corrected within minutes after we told her. So far so good!

Throughout our stay we met a ton of great people, Simone, Chris, James, Shaunese and all of the bartenders at the bars, all great! Shaunese is truly the best Bloody Mary mixer on earth! Egg boy is the king of breakfast and I challenge you to find a city in the US that he doesn't know, my 9 year old had several conversations with him, what a good guy. If you like jerk chicken go to the grill, Kenroy makes it amazing. I don't think that there is a bad chef/cook on the property but he is the best in my opinion! Actually we had jerk chicken several other "famous" places on the island and even those just didn't compare! The night chef at Platinum makes an outstanding snapper dish (oh yeah, I really don't eat seafood but tried it to impress my wife and had the pleasure to enjoy it 3 times while there), simple but delicious!

On to the resort. The resort is on the small side when compared to the mega resorts but it is definitely big enough to always have something to do yet small enough to feel safe, comfortable and at home. As I said we were there for 10 days and just a couple of days in the staff knew our little family enough to call us all by name, my son wanted to stay forever. There were 3 pools but we only used 2 due to 1 of them being adults only, both were always clean, lots of chairs in sun or shade, lots of pool toys (noodles, balls, etc) that everyone shared. The beach is beautiful, soft sand raked every morning by hand. Lots of chairs there also. We never had any problem leaving our bag of personal items on the chair while swimming or snorkeling. The bars were all good, as said earlier not a bad person in the bunch. There is always a place to each, literally 24 hours a day, and each one is really good, including the buffet at which we could always find something to please everyone. Platinum was great and really loved the pizza place and grill!

I guess I am not sure what else to say except that the Jewel is a wonderful resort with outstanding people. In my opinion it is truly the people that are there that are the real Jewels! I would absolutely recommend this resort to anyone. Go, enjoy and relax with some of the real, true, good people of Jamaica! Hope to be back soon. Scott, your employees shine!

Room Tip: They will show you options if you ask and want to upgrade.

1,568 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Have just returned from 2 weeks at this splendid hotel. All the superlatives have been used about the staffing firstly and rightly so. All were very professional, smartly dressed and customer friendly. A valuable lesson could be learned here by many employees in the UK. The hotel/resort is relatively small, this was a big selling point for us as you can walk around in a few minutes from place to place without feeling swamped. Therefore suitable for all ages and especially those with walking difficulties or a disability.
From check in all ran very smoothly, we were advised our room might not be quite to our satisfaction, it was not! and this was duly changed the next day! Room 1231 had a sea view ( just) and despite being a little dated was perfectly adequate to crash out at the end of each 'exhausting' day. true the air conditioning is a little noisy but you get used to this - honest!
The pools are excellent ( all 3) and never too crowded. I think going in July is a huge bonus as the hotel appeared about 1/3 full. being next to the beach there is the chance to stroll along the beautiful white sands and dip in the ocean to cool off. What impressed us is that the all inclusive package meant all inclusive. From safes in the room to snorkelling, glass bottomed boat ride, Hobie catamaran sailing through to an extensive array of beers and spirits in sizeable measures and undiluted. Locating a seat by the pool was never a problem, and you did not need to get up at silly o'clock to reserve like many places these days, again down to the capacity I suppose.
Eating out was a joy, especially the Platinum restaurant. Even now I can taste the fillet steak with lobster and hear the piano playing softly in the background! The other eating establishments were perfectly acceptable and offered a wide choice of culinary delights. We frequented the pizza parlour and can thoroughly recommend the pizza with duck and tosin sauce- brilliant!
The entertainment was varied although the Silver Birds, steel drums are a must see experience. Trips are good if a little expensive, we booked through our tour company and would recommend a journey ( infesting roads and driving) to Kingston. The Cool Runnings trip is great especially the climb up Dunns Falls- take trainers with you and a water proof camera.
To conclude we really enjoyed our magical 'vacation' and would recommend without reservation to anyone else. A helpful hint, nothing to do with the hotel but purely nature at her worst, watch out for the mossies! day and night, use the spray liberally as they are everywhere! You have been warned..

Room Tip: Rooms in block 1 (odd numbers) second floor were the best for location and value in our opinion.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Arkansas City, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We made our choice to stay at JRB based on many TripAdvisor reviews, so it's only fair that we review the resort ourselves. Hopefully another family will choose to stay at JRB because of our review.

This was our second trip to Jamaica, our first trip was four years ago for our honeymoon in Negril. JRB was half the cost of that trip, so we weren't sure what to expect with the resort. As soon as we stepped off the bus, we were treated like family. We were greeted with "welcome home" and that's just how it felt. We were quickly checked in, offered a drink and shown to our room. We paid for a garden view room, but that's not what we were given. I'm not sure if our room was considered pool view or ocean view, but it was fantastic and had a great view of both. I made a special request for a ground floor room in advance and that request was honored. We used our patio door to walk right across the grass to the infinity pool each morning. We were always greeted by Courtney and he made sure to call us by name.

For our first day, I surprised my wife with a beach cabana. We checked in around 10 a.m. as requested and we were off to a fantastic start (see photos). We were welcomed by a friendly face who would become very special to us throughout the week. Javan started by saying "welcome to your second bed" and quickly got us settled. Javan has a motto for the cabana, "nobody move, nobody gets hurt." In other words, relax, he'll take care of the rest. He made sure our drinks were always full, he offered to bring us lunch and even surprised us with a coconut one day. That's right, we spent three days in cabanas during our trip. We were treated like royalty, and that's an understatement. Miguel, Javan and the rest of the beach concierge crew were fantastic.

The food on the resort was spectacular, from the buffet to Jade Samurai. The staff were always fun and entertaining and treated us great at each meal. Platinum was so good, we dined there three times, twice for dinner and once for breakfast. Having an alternative option for breakfast is rare on an all-inclusive resort and we loved the breakfast at Platinum.

The beach was great, with ample space and the most beautiful water I've ever seen, it was the perfect place to relax if you wanted to get away from the pools. We were never crowded, whether we were on the beach or at one of the pools on the property. We were always provided with wait staff no matter where we landed.

A topic we often don't want to think about on vacation is health care, but we had to utilize the resort's offerings while on our trip. The nurse, a substitute for the week, was fantastic. She had to call in a doctor to see my wife and he came in and took great care of us. He prescribed her medication and went to pick it up for us at a local pharmacy, then delivered it to the resort.

Kristoff was one of the two resort photographers. He snapped several photos of us throughout the week, which we were happy to purchase before we left. More than the great photos, Kristoff offered fantastic conversation with lots of history about the island and what it's like to work on a resort. He was one of our favorites of the week.

I could go on and on about our trip and I know I'm leaving out several folks who were crucial to our vacation. Next time were taking a notepad to keep up with names for good reports. We're already looking to book our next vacation to JRB. We hope you're doing the same.

Room Tip: From what we saw, we will upgrade to a plunge pool room on our next visit.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Manningtree, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We spent 2 weeks at JRB from 23rd June - 7th July.
I emailed the Hotel ahead of our stay to request particular rooms & a certain configuration of beds. When we arrived this was arranged for us perfectly. This was hugely appreciated after a 9.5 hr flight. Check in was quick & we were greeted with cold towels & drinks.

There were 2 adults & 2 teenagers in the group and we had 2 plunge pool rooms which I can highly recommend. The private pools are great to dip in to to cool off. The mini bar was always well stocked with everything from water to champagne & if we ever needed anymore we simply made a quick call & it would be at the door in no time. Every day we came back to the room excited to see what new towel animals/decorations had been made on the bed.

The hotel was spotlessly clean which staff constantly maintaining all areas. The beach is beautiful and it was never a problem getting sun-beds on the beach or by the pools.

All the food was great with plenty of choice. We particularly loved the Platinum restaurant & the Jade Samauri. Both put on a great show (in different ways). Our daughter is a fussy eater & also an insulin dependent diabetic, meaning it was crucial she ate properly. Without fail the staff would make her something that wasn't on the menu and were always showing concern that she was happy with what she had. We all loved the pizza restaurant, but could barely tear the kids away!
All the catering staff are wonderful, but a big thank you to Frederick for the best Coconut Ice ever (you call it Pink on Top). Also big hugs to Latoya who is a waitress in the buffet. She is so sweet and attentive.

The entertainments team work so hard from morning to night & even managed to get our shy daughter involved in activities. My son was up for most things & loved the water polo. Big shout out to Sparkle for being great with the kids and so kind. They both loved the laser tag & we all thoroughly enjoyed the archery, mostly because GK made it so much fun.

Our Daughter developed an ear infection in both ears whilst we were there. The nurse at the hotel was available to see us immediately and called the Dr to visit the hotel. The help and service was brilliant and the nurse even found us the next day to ask how she was doing.

We never return to the same place twice on holiday as we feel the world is a big place to see. JRB however is an exception. The place somehow gets under your skin. We've been home 4 days now & still feel bereft.

Scott, the General Manager runs a tight ship & is very visible around the resort always chatting to guests. Our excellent holiday is testament to him & his staff. Everyone is amazingly friendly.

Ve, Nick, Cam & Beth

Ankeny, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We were renewing our vows with our teenage children and wanted a resort with activities for older kids. Although we went on some excursions, there were numerous activities right on the property for them to enjoy: laser tag, video games, golf, tennis, snorkeling, disco, and so much more. There was so much to do that they never got it all in.

We stayed during the "off season" because we had to fit the trip in while school was out. There were two families and three rooms in our party and we had an empty room between each of us. There we no noisy neighbors and the staff had time to interact with guests. We had time to get to know members of the staff and it was an amazing opportunity for my children to absorb how different the culture is in another country.

The rooms were clean and cool. We had housekeeping service twice a day, which was a new experience for us as travelers. We were never without clean linens and a stocked fridge. They even used items found in our room to create art with the towels on our beds: one day the used the flowers from our vow renewal ceremony in the heart and the next day they put my husband's glasses on a frog. They were very creative.

The vow renewal package was reasonably priced and included flowers, the vow renewal, one picture, a short reception with champagne, light snacks and cake, and even a horse drawn carriage ride. We then were treated to dinner on the beach. Although the weather didn’t feel like cooperating, the dinner was beautiful and when we returned to our room that evening, the room had an elegant turn down service with flower petals. There was more than I had anticipated with this package, but be careful…the pictures are beautiful, but expensive. We only wanted to purchase one in addition to the free one and they tried to get us to buy a package. Instead, we purchased one picture for $20.

I have often said that it is the people in Jamaica that separate it from other countries that we have visited, and this time was no different. They were very accommodating and extremely gracious. Because the resort was not busy, they had the opportunity to have a conversation with guests. It was a lot of fun to get to know them, but once you did, they did not forget you. We always had the table location we wanted, the beverages we desired, even some new things to try that we had never experienced before. (My kids are vowing to go back OFTEN.)

They were just beginning construction of a new water park that is anticipated to be complete in December or January of this year. That would provide just one more activity for kids to do at the resort, however, it might impact where my room is as I'm not sure I want a room that overlooks the water park on my next visit.

Room Tip: When the water park opens in December or January, be sure that you choose if you want to be next to...
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Try to make short/sweet. Went with girl 12 son 9. This is World Cup year, so my kids find like 10 other boys/girls their age and play soccer, next to grill area behind on grass, also next to large pool their is another grassy area they set up 6v6, 8v8 etc.
They played for hours/days, I will attempt to post pics. It was like heaven on earth, seeing my kids, making friends with kids - different religions, race, ethnicity, and between sports and Jamaica everything was equal, their was no hatred, no fighting and just plain fun for 8 days. Besides being on one of the most beautiful beaches, 3 pools, awesome views from suite, great cool room, awesome staff, Energy, and all the other silly names. Egg boy, sunshine and great times, come back to Jamaica, play soccer, make friends, this is the perfect place!

Room Tip: suite with ocean views
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear guest,
thank you so much for staying with us and I am so glad to hear that you kids had a great time.
Scott
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

my family has stayed in Jewel for 1 week and we have really enjoyed the vacation. I like the tennis court and was glad to play with the tennis pro Mr."Macho". my kids had good time in the pool and the beach. My wife really likes the room service, especially from the house keeper Charmin Thompson. She made our room unblievablely beautiful!! We would like to come back for another visit in the future.

Room Tip: ocean front view rooms are great
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,
thank you so much for staying with us and we look forward to your return.
Scott

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!