“Truly a Home Away From Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
Arkansas City, Kansas
“Truly a Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We made our choice to stay at JRB based on many TripAdvisor reviews, so it's only fair that we review the resort ourselves. Hopefully another family will choose to stay at JRB because of our review.

This was our second trip to Jamaica, our first trip was four years ago for our honeymoon in Negril. JRB was half the cost of that trip, so we weren't sure what to expect with the resort. As soon as we stepped off the bus, we were treated like family. We were greeted with "welcome home" and that's just how it felt. We were quickly checked in, offered a drink and shown to our room. We paid for a garden view room, but that's not what we were given. I'm not sure if our room was considered pool view or ocean view, but it was fantastic and had a great view of both. I made a special request for a ground floor room in advance and that request was honored. We used our patio door to walk right across the grass to the infinity pool each morning. We were always greeted by Courtney and he made sure to call us by name.

For our first day, I surprised my wife with a beach cabana. We checked in around 10 a.m. as requested and we were off to a fantastic start (see photos). We were welcomed by a friendly face who would become very special to us throughout the week. Javan started by saying "welcome to your second bed" and quickly got us settled. Javan has a motto for the cabana, "nobody move, nobody gets hurt." In other words, relax, he'll take care of the rest. He made sure our drinks were always full, he offered to bring us lunch and even surprised us with a coconut one day. That's right, we spent three days in cabanas during our trip. We were treated like royalty, and that's an understatement. Miguel, Javan and the rest of the beach concierge crew were fantastic.

The food on the resort was spectacular, from the buffet to Jade Samurai. The staff were always fun and entertaining and treated us great at each meal. Platinum was so good, we dined there three times, twice for dinner and once for breakfast. Having an alternative option for breakfast is rare on an all-inclusive resort and we loved the breakfast at Platinum.

The beach was great, with ample space and the most beautiful water I've ever seen, it was the perfect place to relax if you wanted to get away from the pools. We were never crowded, whether we were on the beach or at one of the pools on the property. We were always provided with wait staff no matter where we landed.

A topic we often don't want to think about on vacation is health care, but we had to utilize the resort's offerings while on our trip. The nurse, a substitute for the week, was fantastic. She had to call in a doctor to see my wife and he came in and took great care of us. He prescribed her medication and went to pick it up for us at a local pharmacy, then delivered it to the resort.

Kristoff was one of the two resort photographers. He snapped several photos of us throughout the week, which we were happy to purchase before we left. More than the great photos, Kristoff offered fantastic conversation with lots of history about the island and what it's like to work on a resort. He was one of our favorites of the week.

I could go on and on about our trip and I know I'm leaving out several folks who were crucial to our vacation. Next time were taking a notepad to keep up with names for good reports. We're already looking to book our next vacation to JRB. We hope you're doing the same.

Room Tip: From what we saw, we will upgrade to a plunge pool room on our next visit.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

1,566 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
Manningtree, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We spent 2 weeks at JRB from 23rd June - 7th July.
I emailed the Hotel ahead of our stay to request particular rooms & a certain configuration of beds. When we arrived this was arranged for us perfectly. This was hugely appreciated after a 9.5 hr flight. Check in was quick & we were greeted with cold towels & drinks.

There were 2 adults & 2 teenagers in the group and we had 2 plunge pool rooms which I can highly recommend. The private pools are great to dip in to to cool off. The mini bar was always well stocked with everything from water to champagne & if we ever needed anymore we simply made a quick call & it would be at the door in no time. Every day we came back to the room excited to see what new towel animals/decorations had been made on the bed.

The hotel was spotlessly clean which staff constantly maintaining all areas. The beach is beautiful and it was never a problem getting sun-beds on the beach or by the pools.

All the food was great with plenty of choice. We particularly loved the Platinum restaurant & the Jade Samauri. Both put on a great show (in different ways). Our daughter is a fussy eater & also an insulin dependent diabetic, meaning it was crucial she ate properly. Without fail the staff would make her something that wasn't on the menu and were always showing concern that she was happy with what she had. We all loved the pizza restaurant, but could barely tear the kids away!
All the catering staff are wonderful, but a big thank you to Frederick for the best Coconut Ice ever (you call it Pink on Top). Also big hugs to Latoya who is a waitress in the buffet. She is so sweet and attentive.

The entertainments team work so hard from morning to night & even managed to get our shy daughter involved in activities. My son was up for most things & loved the water polo. Big shout out to Sparkle for being great with the kids and so kind. They both loved the laser tag & we all thoroughly enjoyed the archery, mostly because GK made it so much fun.

Our Daughter developed an ear infection in both ears whilst we were there. The nurse at the hotel was available to see us immediately and called the Dr to visit the hotel. The help and service was brilliant and the nurse even found us the next day to ask how she was doing.

We never return to the same place twice on holiday as we feel the world is a big place to see. JRB however is an exception. The place somehow gets under your skin. We've been home 4 days now & still feel bereft.

Scott, the General Manager runs a tight ship & is very visible around the resort always chatting to guests. Our excellent holiday is testament to him & his staff. Everyone is amazingly friendly.

Ve, Nick, Cam & Beth

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Ankeny, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We were renewing our vows with our teenage children and wanted a resort with activities for older kids. Although we went on some excursions, there were numerous activities right on the property for them to enjoy: laser tag, video games, golf, tennis, snorkeling, disco, and so much more. There was so much to do that they never got it all in.

We stayed during the "off season" because we had to fit the trip in while school was out. There were two families and three rooms in our party and we had an empty room between each of us. There we no noisy neighbors and the staff had time to interact with guests. We had time to get to know members of the staff and it was an amazing opportunity for my children to absorb how different the culture is in another country.

The rooms were clean and cool. We had housekeeping service twice a day, which was a new experience for us as travelers. We were never without clean linens and a stocked fridge. They even used items found in our room to create art with the towels on our beds: one day the used the flowers from our vow renewal ceremony in the heart and the next day they put my husband's glasses on a frog. They were very creative.

The vow renewal package was reasonably priced and included flowers, the vow renewal, one picture, a short reception with champagne, light snacks and cake, and even a horse drawn carriage ride. We then were treated to dinner on the beach. Although the weather didn’t feel like cooperating, the dinner was beautiful and when we returned to our room that evening, the room had an elegant turn down service with flower petals. There was more than I had anticipated with this package, but be careful…the pictures are beautiful, but expensive. We only wanted to purchase one in addition to the free one and they tried to get us to buy a package. Instead, we purchased one picture for $20.

I have often said that it is the people in Jamaica that separate it from other countries that we have visited, and this time was no different. They were very accommodating and extremely gracious. Because the resort was not busy, they had the opportunity to have a conversation with guests. It was a lot of fun to get to know them, but once you did, they did not forget you. We always had the table location we wanted, the beverages we desired, even some new things to try that we had never experienced before. (My kids are vowing to go back OFTEN.)

They were just beginning construction of a new water park that is anticipated to be complete in December or January of this year. That would provide just one more activity for kids to do at the resort, however, it might impact where my room is as I'm not sure I want a room that overlooks the water park on my next visit.

Room Tip: When the water park opens in December or January, be sure that you choose if you want to be next to...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Try to make short/sweet. Went with girl 12 son 9. This is World Cup year, so my kids find like 10 other boys/girls their age and play soccer, next to grill area behind on grass, also next to large pool their is another grassy area they set up 6v6, 8v8 etc.
They played for hours/days, I will attempt to post pics. It was like heaven on earth, seeing my kids, making friends with kids - different religions, race, ethnicity, and between sports and Jamaica everything was equal, their was no hatred, no fighting and just plain fun for 8 days. Besides being on one of the most beautiful beaches, 3 pools, awesome views from suite, great cool room, awesome staff, Energy, and all the other silly names. Egg boy, sunshine and great times, come back to Jamaica, play soccer, make friends, this is the perfect place!

Room Tip: suite with ocean views
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear guest,
thank you so much for staying with us and I am so glad to hear that you kids had a great time.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

my family has stayed in Jewel for 1 week and we have really enjoyed the vacation. I like the tennis court and was glad to play with the tennis pro Mr."Macho". my kids had good time in the pool and the beach. My wife really likes the room service, especially from the house keeper Charmin Thompson. She made our room unblievablely beautiful!! We would like to come back for another visit in the future.

Room Tip: ocean front view rooms are great
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,
thank you so much for staying with us and we look forward to your return.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This is my third stay at Runaway Bay, but my first time with Jewels. I returned with 7 of my high school classmates, and we had an AMAZING time!! I believe that overall most places are doing there best to accommodate all travelers to the best of there abilities. There were still some of the same staff there that keeps me coming back. Aldin - Concierge; Chris, Alshane & Kerol - bar; housekeeping staff; Mr. "Oh Baby Jesus" at the Samuri; & Night Mgr. They really go well out of their way to make your stay a comfortable and pleasant one. This was the first time that we had to deal with the mosquito issues. It was a bit overwhelming on a daily basis. By the third day we moved to another building. Much better. The air cooling system did not work very well in one of the rooms that my friends were in, but the issue was gone once we moved. We arrived on Saturday and departed on Wednesday. There wasn't much for adults to do after 10:30 on most nights. I was told because the resort is now a family resort so they try to keep the noise level down. I'm use to activities planned in the evenings, which still should be considered. There are still adults that want to have something to do. The Bling Disco was a great disco. I love to dance so this was the place to go. I remember the entertainment staff would join us on certain evenings teaching certain dance moves. I did have a guy there that should me some GREAT moves. Wish I have exchanged numbers. Oh well. I want to make Runaway Bay my place to go over year. Thank you to all the staff who make me feel at home. See ya next year.

Room Tip: Try to stay in section 3 of the resort. We were in 2122, 2124, 2224 mosquito were REALLY bad. Then w...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
We have been sorting out the mosquito issue and feel we have tackled it. We did have a day in which the chillers to the A/C went down but have sorted that out. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. Thank you for your feedback on the entertainment as I have passed on your comments to our entertainment manager.
thanks for spending you holiday with us and we hope you return soon.
regards,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

Checked in today for a Girls Trip & was not given the correct rooms. One room had a view of a dump truck, sand & construction site, had to beg to change it. Resort is 2 Stars at best, be careful if you have high standards, equivalent to a nice Motel 6. Limited food options.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry that you did not like to room that you booked. It was a premier room with garden view only. From that room that is what you can see. Behind the bushes and shrubbery there is an 8 foot wall hiding the work going on at the site of the waterpark. I am not sure how you can see that from that room. I have tried and cannot. I am glad that you could not hear anything.
I am glad that you have upgraded that room and are happy with it as you had told our concierge courtesy call "so far so good"
You did not mention the food. If you would like our chef would be happy to meet with you to see what you are looking for. I know he met with some other persons from you group as a lot of returning residents want nothing but Jamaican cuisine being that they do not get as much living abroad.
Well thanks again and let us know if you need anything else as I know our hotel Manager Ann-marie has been in contact with you several times.
Scott

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!