“Great first trip to Jamaica!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Brampton, Canada
“Great first trip to Jamaica!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

We travelled to the Jewel from March 15-22 (right after the Canadian March Break) and arrived on a Saturday. I travelled with my husband and two little boys (ages 2 and 4). One thing about travelling on the weekends – way too many people and that means long line ups. Not good after a 3.5 hour flight with little ones. Next time we travel to Montego Bay we will definitely use Club Mobay to bypass some of the lines.

The airport at Montego Bay is a little chaotic and made me nervous with my two young boys – however, the bus was easy to find and the trip to the hotel was pleasant. Once we got to the hotel – to be honest we were a little disappointed in the lobby and then the room. We didn’t get an upgraded room (stayed in room 3220) and the drain in the washroom (sink) didn’t work (my husband was able to fix it) and there was an overwhelming odor of mold in the room. Also, the tub (no stand up shower) had an ick factor that I was reminded of every time I went in there. But to be fair – we didn’t spend a lot of time in the room so it wasn’t a major big deal that we felt the need to complain to the front desk.

The remainder of the trip made up for the icky room. We adored the kids pool with the swim up bar – our boys had to be pulled out of it every day. The beach was lovely although it got deep fast so we had to really watch the little ones. We found staff very attentive and always friendly. Our boys adored going to the Kids Club – special shout out to Stacey Ann and Toni – both were so loving and caring – immediately to our boys. They had special events planned all day – our oldest boy didn’t want to leave!

The resort constantly has something on the go which we love because we are not beach bums and get bored of laying around all day. We loved the outside movie at the ranch as well as the disco for the little kids (so cute!) and I wish more people took advantage of it.

The food was great – honestly I adored the buffet. Pizza place was wonderful as was the Italian place (we found it a little stuffy though for our very active boys). Lots of vegetarian options available at this resort and lots of opportunity to try the Jamaican cuisine. One thing I did notice is (I am a fruit lover) the same fruits were showcased at every single meal in the buffet. Same melons and papaya. I suppose it’s the fruit that is in season but I would have liked to see more berries, bananas and mangoes. Also more fruit we can carry with us – like bananas, whole apples and grapes. When you have little kids you need to rely on snacks to carry them through the day. The cookies you supply that are prewrapped were fantastic for this. I would have like to see the muffins in the morning wrapped up as well.

One day you did serve Sour Sop and it was divine – I only wish you would have made a little sign that warned people not to eat the seeds – I got violently ill for a week after consuming a few seeds I later read were poisonous.

We read on Trip Advisor to not use the safe in the room as a few individuals did and had their valuables stolen. To be honest – that also put a damper on our trip. We had to carry around our camera, money and tablet with us every where we went (to dinner, beach, pool, excursions – everywhere). In that way I didn’t feel like my stuff was safe. When we travelled to Cuba and Florida I always felt like things in the room were safe. In Jamaica I didn’t.

We went on two excursions and both we didn’t enjoy because our boys are just two young to truly enjoy it. The Dolphin Cove and the Shopping trip – Dolphin Cove was overpriced and the Shopping Trip was a major disappointment – just gimmicky soveniours. I would have liked to go shopping where the staff goes shopping.

Best nights were the Beach Party and the Friday night steak and lobster – divine.

Thank you Jewel for making our stay so enjoyable. We hope to return to your resort once the water park is up and running!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you for staying with us and your feedback.
No one can get into your safe if it is locked. You did not have to carry around your items and if you don't feel that your safe was safe I have one in my office but trust me your safe is safe just lock it up.
Scott

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

We traveled to The Jewel the first week in April with our 2 year-old son. Upon arrival we were asked to take a seat and the staff would be right with us to check in. We didn't have to wait in line! We were given a cool towel and cold drink while going through the check in process. We were then taken to our rooms and didn't have to carry our own luggage. From the start the staff was impressive.

Our room included one king size bed and a plunge pool view. The "Waterview" rooms are NOT ocean view rooms. We didn't care abut the ocean view. We were just happy to be somewhere warm.

We swam everyday and didn't have any trouble finding chairs. We also didn't have any trouble with towels.

The food was great. My only "complaint" would be the sushi. We were told that 5 rolls is too much to order (we eat a lot of sushi at home so 5 rolls really isn't that much). Plus, it wasn't very good. But there are so many other food options this really isn't that important.

Every night when arriving back to our room the staff had placed animals made of towels on your bed.

Ann Marie in the buffet area is the sweetest woman. She remember my sons name and said hello every day we saw her.

This place truly is a Jewel. We are already planning our next trip.

Room Tip: The plunge pools that come with the plunge rooms didn't seem to get much use. Waterview rooms a...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Amy,
thank you for staying with us and your feedback on the Sushi. I have sent it to my chef. Sorry about being limited to four and there is no limitations and that was dealt with as well.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Landed in Montego Bay at 1:30 and was at the Runaway Bay resort by 4:30. Check in was smooth and our premier room was in the Topaz building. Nice and quiet on the second floor with good AC. The grounds, pool, and beach are excellent and everything is very accessible. You can walk anywhere or they have a shuttle to get you to the golf course and other activities across the street. Food was outstanding at the buffet (beef wellington, lobster, roast pig and more!) and in the Italian restaurant. The Japanese food was OK but a good experience with the funny chef.
Daily activities and nightly entertainment were a welcome diversion, never turned the TV on. We played golf three times and it never took longer than 3 hours walking. For just a caddy fee this is an awesome deal. Course was a little dry but greens were firm and fast.
We did the Dunn's river falls (pick a day when the cruise ship is not docked in Ochos Rios if you can) on the Chukka party boat....lots of fun and good snorkeling too.
Only drawbacks.....no beach/pool towels in the afternoon, so keep yours if you get it early and the ice cream machine often ran out at the buffet. All the staff was very friendly and helpful. Don't be turned off by negative reviews of this place.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
thank you for staying at JRB and your feedback.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Just came back from a week at the jewel and it was great. I travelled there with my husband and children (twins-boy and girl who are 5), my sister and her family, and my parents. After being greeted by what I found to be the only rude person in Jamaica, our bus driver, we got to our beautiful resort. I didn't print off my itinerary and the staff was really accommodating and simply dealt with the situation to basically ensure that there was no situation! The front desk people were really nice.

While I would say the rooms require some updating, they we're clean and had everything you needed I.e. A shower, a bed, and a T.V which had some really good channels. Our room was literally right beside the disco and it was really pretty loud but nobody in my family seemed to be bothered by it so no complaints there.

The grounds were always kept immaculate and the staff is the most friendly and accommodating staff I have ever met at any resort. Beach is great for kids. You have to keep your eye out for sea urchents, they will float in from the reef but if you tell the lifeguard they will quickly scoop them up and get them out of the way. Water stays shallow for long enough that the kids had a blast and for the most part the waves weren't bad at all.

The food at the grill is AMAZING! We ate there all the time. After a few days it didn't matter what we ordered we ordered it with jerk sauce. Frederick the chef and the other awesome people that work at that grill deserve some recognition for that amazing food! Bonus, the grill is open almost 24 hrs! Food all around was really good. The pizza was also a really nice touch.

The kids club is second to none! I have been to several resorts with my husband and been away four times to other resorts with my children and I have never seen a kids club like this one. They ran it like a real daycare. I never once felt uneasy leaving my kids and for the first time, they wanted to go! They had fun things planned all day and in the evening which allowed my husband and I to enjoy a few quiet dinners and got the kids out of the sun for a bit when they were starting up with heat rashes. Thanks again to Toya,Lorna, Stacy Ann, Toni, and Antoinette. Hopefully we will see you again!

I also enjoyed Energy and Sparkle and loved their friendliness and enthusiasm. Also have to mention Miguel who busted his butt getting us drinks to the beach.

I'm from Winnipeg, Canada and Jamaica is pretty much the most expensive place to travel as far as all inclusives go but I would pay the price to go back to the Jewel Runaway Bay and hopefully will also go back with a pack of friends that I know will love it.

Room Tip: We were 2200, right beside the disco so don't go there is you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Renae,
thank you so much for staying with us at JRB. I am so glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed their stay. We hope to see you return.
St. John's, Canada

Spring is here again!
Looking for that break down south!
After having such a great family experience last March at JRB, I cannot find any reason not to head back again. The staff and management at JRB are second to none. They are always there to assist with any and all requests. We stayed in a junior oceanfront suite with our 4 and 5 year old girls, it was a great fit for our family. The small pool and hot tub in the courtyard were perfect, a little break away from the bigger pools and crowds when needed. The staff at the kids club were well trained and quite professional making it easy to leave the kids there for periods of time.
The wagon ride to the farm on movie night was quite a nice treat for the kids as well.

Left new underwater camera at dinner one night during all the fun. Checked with the front desk the next morning....Sure enough it was there....Restored my faith in humanity!!

Short and too the point:

Food and restaurants = Really good (day snacks are great)
Staff = Awesome group of people
Manager = Scott Robbins is on the ball, always out and about and open to communication
Beach = Very nice (excellent snorkelling)
Glass bottom boat = Loved it
Sailing on small catamaran = Fantastic fun for the whole family
Golf = Awesome course
Room and view = Very comfortable great evenings on the decks
Grounds = Manicured
Atmosphere = Very alive however relaxing places to be found

That's it for me, heading down at the end of the month and taking friends with us.
After travelling around the Caribbean this is our first return trip to a resort. Looking forward to enjoying the Jewel of Jamaica once again!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sam,
thank you for your reveiw and staying with us. We look forward to your return.
Boston,MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

My husband and I were at the Jewel March 26 to March 31 and we had a wonderful trip. After reading some of the reviews we were very skeptical, but once we got to the resort we knew we had picked a jem! This was the 2nd all-inclusive resort for my husband and 5th for me plus i had traveled to europe multiple times. If you want relaxation, sun, drinks, and safe resort this is the place.

rooms-We were in the 1100 block with the plunge pool and the bed and room was awesome and excatly what we wanted. We liked the plunge pool as it was semi private and we used it daily for a few hours.The bed was soo comfy i wanted to try and bring it home haha, the shower was nice and was different with all the different heads. House keeping was always filling our fridge and always had made our bed when we got back mid afternoon. Some things were chipped here and there, but really if you are complaining about that then you have problems. You are not in the room that much anyways..One thing that really bummed us out was we had gone shopping and had some paintings, mug, and bracelet in a plastic bag that i had left on the table as we were going right to the pool. When we returned to the room i realized i had done this and quickly put it away and didnt check to see if anything was missing. I again took the bag out at the airport to put in another bag and when we got home the stuff we bought was not there. So i dont know if our souvenirs went missing at the resort or the airport, but it was a bummer when we got home and realized they were not there. It was my fault i know this, but still.

Food/Drinks-my husband is very picky and he loved everything there. From jerk chicken, jerk burgers, pizza(a must), to the buffet, all very delicous. Drinks were amazing as well. i loved having the drink of the day.

Staff- Everyone we ran into was so nice and asking how our stay was going and very helpful. We chatted with a lot of staff but one lifeguard, Whitney, was very knowledgeable about the resort and Jamaica and was very kind to us.

Pools/Beach-We tried every morning around 830/9 to grab a chair around the swim up bar pool and they all were taken with pool towels on them to save. I was soo annoyed at this as half the chairs the entire day the towel was never moved. Pools are very nice, swim up bar a must, beach was very beautiful, small but still nice.

We wanted to go on the sunset cruise and go snorkeling but we just ran out of time. We did do the dolphin encoutner and made the trip worth it. We also went to scotchies for jerk chicken and it was very tasty and the best jerk chicken i have had. Just ask for bugsy the taxi guy and he will help you out to get a taxi there.

We didnt travel with kids and yes this is a family resort, but we did our own thing and the kids we ran into were not bad at all. So if you are a couple of any age and dont mind seeing kids around, this would be a great resort for you. If you have kids, i heard from many people the babysitting and kids club was great.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
thank you for you review as well as staying with us. I am sorry to hear about your loss and wish we could offer more information on it.
thanks again
Rockland, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We are seasoned travelers who have been going south for over 10 years(2 times a year) and I have to say this resort is among the top 3 we have been to. We had requested by email an upgrade to plunge pool. If you can afford the extra $ we really enjoyed our plunge pool at the end of the afternoon. The food was very good, always plenty of choices. What makes this resort great is the amazing staff. They are very attentive to your needs and they want to make sure you are enjoying yourself. Bravo! to you Scott for such a great resort! We don't usually go back to the same resort but we will definitely be returning at the Jewel. Thanks to all for the amazing vacation!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Jos,
thank you thank you thank you. Come on back.
Scott

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!