We travelled to the Jewel from March 15-22 (right after the Canadian March Break) and arrived on a Saturday. I travelled with my husband and two little boys (ages 2 and 4). One thing about travelling on the weekends – way too many people and that means long line ups. Not good after a 3.5 hour flight with little ones. Next time we travel to Montego Bay we will definitely use Club Mobay to bypass some of the lines.
The airport at Montego Bay is a little chaotic and made me nervous with my two young boys – however, the bus was easy to find and the trip to the hotel was pleasant. Once we got to the hotel – to be honest we were a little disappointed in the lobby and then the room. We didn’t get an upgraded room (stayed in room 3220) and the drain in the washroom (sink) didn’t work (my husband was able to fix it) and there was an overwhelming odor of mold in the room. Also, the tub (no stand up shower) had an ick factor that I was reminded of every time I went in there. But to be fair – we didn’t spend a lot of time in the room so it wasn’t a major big deal that we felt the need to complain to the front desk.
The remainder of the trip made up for the icky room. We adored the kids pool with the swim up bar – our boys had to be pulled out of it every day. The beach was lovely although it got deep fast so we had to really watch the little ones. We found staff very attentive and always friendly. Our boys adored going to the Kids Club – special shout out to Stacey Ann and Toni – both were so loving and caring – immediately to our boys. They had special events planned all day – our oldest boy didn’t want to leave!
The resort constantly has something on the go which we love because we are not beach bums and get bored of laying around all day. We loved the outside movie at the ranch as well as the disco for the little kids (so cute!) and I wish more people took advantage of it.
The food was great – honestly I adored the buffet. Pizza place was wonderful as was the Italian place (we found it a little stuffy though for our very active boys). Lots of vegetarian options available at this resort and lots of opportunity to try the Jamaican cuisine. One thing I did notice is (I am a fruit lover) the same fruits were showcased at every single meal in the buffet. Same melons and papaya. I suppose it’s the fruit that is in season but I would have liked to see more berries, bananas and mangoes. Also more fruit we can carry with us – like bananas, whole apples and grapes. When you have little kids you need to rely on snacks to carry them through the day. The cookies you supply that are prewrapped were fantastic for this. I would have like to see the muffins in the morning wrapped up as well.
One day you did serve Sour Sop and it was divine – I only wish you would have made a little sign that warned people not to eat the seeds – I got violently ill for a week after consuming a few seeds I later read were poisonous.
We read on Trip Advisor to not use the safe in the room as a few individuals did and had their valuables stolen. To be honest – that also put a damper on our trip. We had to carry around our camera, money and tablet with us every where we went (to dinner, beach, pool, excursions – everywhere). In that way I didn’t feel like my stuff was safe. When we travelled to Cuba and Florida I always felt like things in the room were safe. In Jamaica I didn’t.
We went on two excursions and both we didn’t enjoy because our boys are just two young to truly enjoy it. The Dolphin Cove and the Shopping trip – Dolphin Cove was overpriced and the Shopping Trip was a major disappointment – just gimmicky soveniours. I would have liked to go shopping where the staff goes shopping.
Best nights were the Beach Party and the Friday night steak and lobster – divine.
Thank you Jewel for making our stay so enjoyable. We hope to return to your resort once the water park is up and running!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, one of the most complete all-inclusive resorts in the world. Located on 22 lush, oceanfront acres of Jamaica's famed north coast, this spectacular resort offers some of the best SCUBA and golf on the island. Unwind in our new plunge pool suites. Indulge in our new full-service spa. Dine around at up to 5 different restaurants and 5 different free-flowing bars including a swim-up pool bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breezes Runaway Bay Resort And Golf Club
- Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club Hotel Runaway Bay
- Breezes Runaway Bay Jamaica
- Breezes Runaway Bay Hotel
- Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort Jamaica