“Jewel Runaway is a great value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Illinois
“Jewel Runaway is a great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We spent the last week of January at Jewel Runaway Bay. We've vacationed in Jamaica eight times, and visited other all inclusives, from Mo Bay to Ocho Rios. Jewel was a good price on an Apple Vacation, with a direct flight from OHare.

The resort is small and lushly landscaped with a beautiful, well-groomed beach. The staff is very pleasant and competent. Thank you, Charmaine! The whole place is kept very clean, and constant maintenance was evident. Concierge service was terrific. This could be a more highly rated resort except for a few, significant things. (There are no "problems" in Jamaica....so I'll call them things!)

The room decor and furnishings in the building we stayed in are a little tired; well-kept and very clean, but tired. The noise from the evening entertainment was very loud and late. The buffet had beautifully displayed food, but quite a bit of repetition. Cucumbers sliced three different ways are not three offerings! The food was good and there was always plenty to eat....just a little monotonous. Pizza was excellent in the pizza garden -open from early lunch until late dinner. Jade, the Japanese restaurant was very entertaining. Thanks, Anthony! I agree with previous reviewers that more vegetables would be an improvement.

The people are what makes Jewel appealing. The price was quite good and the sun was bright and the days and nights were warm. There is currently no incentive for guests to return to this resort, and no exchange privileges with the other two Jewel resorts in the same area. This may influence my choice of a resort for next year!

Room Tip: Our Premier room had a beautiful, lush garden view. Some guests who'd booked the plunge pool ro...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay as well as taking the time to write your reveiw.
Scott Robbins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Sitting here in Houston staring at clouds. Homeward bound. Would rather be sitting on the beach in Runaway.

We reviewed this property last year so I won't make this long.
We opted for Junior Oceanview suite with Plunge pool and were totally happy with our choice. So nice to open the curtains and see the beach and ocean.

Kudo's again to the wonderful and most friendly staff. They make the Jewel, truly a Jewel.

Thanks to Keisha for setting up the PDC tour, and for just being so helpful.

Tony in the kids club, wear that Packer hat with pride.

Last but not least, Scott, thanks for the extra's, you make us feel like "belongers". (Lol)

We will be back. And that's a given

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Son of a Sailor,
Thank you so much for returning and not complaining as much as the last time. We look forward to your return to JPC but please ensure that your lovely wife stays with us at JRB.
Take care and we will see you soon.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went to the Jewel on January 17 2014 for five days. We were celebrating our Anniversary. I've been to Jamaica many times, as a native to Kingston, and as a tourist to Montego Bay, Ocho Rios and Negril, so I believe I've had many experiences to compare this one too. I've stayed at the top Beaches Negril and Sandals in Ocho Rios and the popular Riu. In my opinion, these others pale in comparison to Jewel. What I loved was the variety of food in the buffet and specialty restaurants. Not just variety, but the taste was 4 out of 5 for most dishes and 5/5 for some.
Another winner for me was the beach. Now resorts like Sandals and Beaches do have larger beaches because 9 mile beach in Negril is expansive and known for this, but how much beach can you occupy at one time? It was perfect for the two of us. Golden sand which they comb every morning, blue waters which are crystal clear, and the best part was a natural reef on the beach for some of the best snorkeling we've ever done. Throw a piece of bread in the water and you are surrounded by beautiful species of fish. The music and entertainment was ongoing and lively. Crowd participation is encouraged and everyone had a blast. Jewel has a schedule of activities that all guests get daily. There's a nice spa for massages, body wraps, etc. A nice gym, a club for kids and child care for the little ones which is more like camp. There was a jerk chicken grill for burgers as well and wraps. I've had better authentic jerk chicken, but it wasn't bad. They have to be mindful of foreigners who can't handle too much pepper and spice. The service was top notch for the money you spend. I loved the fact that guests at the Jewel don't have to pay for airport transfer. It's included, along with your food and drinks and you have a fully stocked bar and fridge in the rooms. We had an ocean view room with a private plunge pool and loved it. They cleaned room twice daily. They were friendly and catered to your every need. No one was big on tips, so you received good service wherever you tipped or not, unlike Riu resorts. In other resorts, you will not receive Jamaican delicacies, but I feasted on oxtail, stew peas and rice, curried goat, Ackee and salt fish, callaloo and fried dumpling and breadfruit. The Italian restaurant was great, as well as the Tepanyaki restaurant. Pizza restaurant was on point!!!! I am so impressed with jewel. Icing on the cake was a quick check in process and they remembered it was our anniversary and had a nice delicious surprise in our room with Happy Anniversary decorated on the plate and a nice letter expressing appreciation for our choice to celebrate at the Jewel and wishing us a Happy Anniversary. I will never spend big bucks to stay at a Sandals resort in Jamaica ever again. The Jewel is my home away from home, and don't forget to brush up on your golf swing so you can enjoy the Golf course conveniently located on the premise, along with a tennis court and basketball court. Bon voyage!

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you so much for staying with us and making us your home away from home. We look forward to your return.
Amherstburg, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

The resort is just the right size. The people are very friendly. The ladies at kids club made our stay. There are truly the best at their job, treating all the kids like their own. They go above and beyond.

The room was dated but clean. we understand some of the rooms are being updated. Perhaps when we return we will get an updated room.

The beach is amazing, the food is great. The entertainment staff does an amazing job with getting the crowd feeling at home.

• Stayed February 2014
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay. I am so happy to hear that your family enjoyed their stay.
Niagara Falls, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed at the Jewel Runaway Bay the week of January 19th-26th, 2014. Overall, we had a phenomenal vacation. We were traveling with our 4 year old son. The staff at the Jewel were all extremely friendly, accommodating and more than kind to us, especially to our son. We throw out a special thank you to all the ladies at the Kids Camp; Lorna, Toni and Stacey Anne. Also to Tinkerbell for getting our son involved in the talent show!

The food was fantastic at all the restaurants, and we loved the convenience of the 24 hour grill where you can find late night goodies such as hamburgers, wraps, nachos, grilled cheese and even authentic jerk chicken, no matter what time of the night. Kenroy and Frederick at the grill were not only anything but efficient, but they were very nice guys to chat with. The main buffet puts on a specific theme every night on a 7 day cycle, so the food is always different one day to the next, and the presentation is always very well put together. We want to say a big thank you to Nicholas who made our nights at the buffet simply amazing. Nicholas, you are a champ ! Rochae also took excellent care of us, always with a smile! Another honorable mention from the breakfast crew is Ann-Marie, she took care of us almost every morning. Truly a sweetheart! They have a buffet at the kids level and the choices were excellent. My son ate so well and enjoyed picking out his own meal. Egg Boy always there to make you smile!

The bars and pools were a great source of entertainment as our son swam for what seemed like an eternity in the infamous "infinity pool". Special thanks to Alshane, Glendon and Princess. You guys made those happy hours just that much more fun. Ya mon !

Alton from the Scuba Team took me to the pool for an introduction to Scuba. It was very kind of him to take the time out and give me some orientation. Unfortunately, I did not get to go on a dive, but I appreciated Alton's patience and instruction. If you visit the Jewel, go and meet this man, he is very interesting. Try to go for a dive if you can.

Arts and crafts on the beach anyone? Down by the infinity pool, go and meet Clive on the beach in his little art hut. This man spent hours with my son showing him how to paint and teaching him some basic painting skills on sea shells. He is seasoned artist himself and another interesting part of the Jamaican culture.

I like to focus on the positives, but a review has to point out areas where there can be improvement as well: The rooms are a little dated, but renovations are in progress and besides, we didn't spend much time in the room. The Spa is very over priced and the prices are a deterrent to be completely honest. They are more than spa prices back home. I am sure management is aware that some adjustments may be required.

The Jewel offers a complimentary Glass Bottom Boat ride - what fun that was!!

Housekeeping twice a day at this resort! Always leaving cute towel art :)

The beach was beautiful and drink service on the beach was fantastic. Never had trouble finding a chair or towels...

Finally, if you do go to the Jewel, make sure that you meet Shurleen. We were never sure of her exact position there except that she was always wherever she seemed to be needed. She was the first person we saw when we arrived, and she was the last one hugging and kissing my son goodbye the day we left. Shurleen is one of the kindest and genuine people you'll meet.

We plan on returning to the Jewel and would definitely recommend it! Especially if you have young children!

Thank you for a great vacation. Next time we will make a point to meet you Scott!!

Ryan and Courtnay, Niagara Falls Ontario. Canada

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you so much for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed yourselves.
I look forward to meeting you on your return.
Regards,
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

That's how we were greeted "Welcome Home" as we arrived for the 14th time at the Runaway Bay Resort and 18th time in Jamaica. We experienced another wonderful two week stay despite a good bit of rain. Jewel management continues to refurbish and upgrade the entire resort while the staff remains the best on the Island. From the porter, Castro, the concierge Keisha and Camila, to the bartenders, Duval, Garnet, Tomeik and Glelndon to name a few, the morning crew of Ivan, Joel, Jackie and Egg Boy along with Shelia, Sophie, Ann Marie and Lloye et.al. were wonderful ambassadors of the resort. The beach and grounds, as always, were well groomed and manicured. The pizza hut is a nice addition and serves a great pizza as attested to by us and all we spoke to. We also had wonderful meals at the Italian restaurant. The Parmesian chicken we had was so good we had it three times. The Japanese restaurant is always good and entertaining and the Aquamarina is perfect for snacks and lunch right on the beach. Chef Frederick is very attentive and keeps his professional eye on all the eating places. As always I enjoyed the challenging golf course along with my caddy, Phillip even though I got caught twice in rain downpours. A couple of recommendations I would make for the Italian restaurant. The acoustics are bad since all the drapes were taken down and the piano player, who is really good, plays a little too loud for dinner. Back windows face into the Pizza hut area and into the lobby bar which is a detraction from a nice room setting. Maybe new window dressings there would help both the view and acoustics. Looking forward to next year. Joe and Lynne

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Joe and Lynne,
thank you for returning to the Jewel as well as all of your feedback.
We look forward to your return.
Aurora, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I just returned from a 1-week trip to this resort and I want to go back now! I had the best vacation ever! Good food, great service and very clean. The staff were the best, from the entertainment staff - Sparkle, Tinkerbell, GK - to the bartenders - Christopher, Lennox, Leonardo, Jason, Duval, Ojay (I can't name them all). They made my trip memorable. This place was super clean! Lesa was always in one of the bathrooms cleaning. Very nice lady. The entertainment is top notch. Billy, the reggae singer, is hands down one of the nicest people I've ever met. I have fallen in love with Jamaica and I'm already planning on returning to this resort in November.

Room Tip: I stayed in block 1, 2nd floor. Very quiet and steps from the infinity pool and the beach. And the s...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
rasbrat, Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Natalie,
Thank you so much for staying with us and mentioning the staff that made your stay enjoyable.
Scott Robbins

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!