“Lovely Family Holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
Ontario, Canada
“Lovely Family Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

I visited Jewel December 8th for a week with my daughter and family and my sister. I can't give enough accolades to this Resort, we had a perfect vacation. From pick up at the Airport til we were dropped off to go home we had absolutely no complaints. If you're looking for a big resort with non-stop action, this isn't the place for you. If you're looking for a laid back, family oriented vacation, run, don't walk to the Jewel. My 4 year old granddaughter was taken care of by the nannies in the Kids club even when she really didn't have to go, she loved it so much. Thanks Lorna and Traci-Ann, the kids were even given Golf Lessons by the Pro at the Golf course across the street. The staff are wonderful, the beach absolutely stunning and the pools well taken care of. Oh, and the food, excellent.
Overall, it was one of the best vacations we've had and we certainly recommend the Jewel. In fact, I was on a Cruise that stopped in Jamaica recently and I took my friends to see the hotel and we are already planning a girls trip there in the near future.

Keep up the high standards Jewel and hope to be back real soon.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear Peggy Sue,
Thank you so much for your kind words in your reveiw.
We look forward to your return.

1,561 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (613)
Port Hope, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Ok, here is a very honest, down to earth review. My son got married here, they could not do enough for you! Simple but beautiful, over looking the beach, including a horse and buggy ride. The people are very friendly, and do all they can to make you feel welcome! At the lobby they make great cappuccino and latte coffees. Great mixed drinks especially a "dirty banana"! The beds are one of the best I have slept on, and we have travelled the islands a lot. The beach is wonderful, clear water, the sand is a heavy sand, kind of like brown sugar, but good to walk on and clean!! You don't need an arm band, and you don't need a stupid chit card to get a towel! There are PLENTY of chairs, umbrella's, and even cabana beds always available.

Wonderful pizza outside restaurant, a grill that is open every day til 7 a.m. serves fries, burgers and jerk chicken!! The Italian restaurant you don't need to have a reservation, it is great food, serving pasta, lamb, pork, chicken, all tasty! We did not go to the Japanese, so I cannot comment, the buffet was plentiful, and lots of options, great breakfast omelettes made to order, an egg guy who will fry to order, lots of fruit, cheeses!

This is a small resort, where every thing is close, no long walks to get from your room, to the beach, bars, pools, no stairs, very easy to get around! Nice for anyone with difficulty walking, very flat!

My only complaint was the WIFI signal was poor, and was a hit and miss, so found this needs to be worked on, they do have free internet with 3 computers to use, if you want.

We were very impressed with this resort, not fancy but clean and friendly hard working people make this a place to come to!

Oh yes, if you are a golfer, the course is right across the street!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
thank you so much for staying with us. I am so happy you enjoyed yourself.
we look forward to your return
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed there from 15Jan to 22Jan with a 5-yr-old and a 3-yr-old. I read a lot of reviews before the trip and we decided that this must be the place to go..... Well, it sure was! When checking in, the staff would say "welcome home" and it sure felt like home after spending a week there.

Despite not the perfect weather we would have liked and a sick 3-yr-old, the Kids Club made the trip one of the most memorable ones! Thank you, beautiful Shanah, for loving our son so much! The turtle and the Jamaican keychain are in his room, and we look at them every day, thinking how nice you were. And my dear Lorna and Toni, we miss you so much! We talk about our dancing nights (or running around party!?). Lorna is a practicing nurse, which is nice since she can tell you what is wrong with the kids when they're sick. And my Jamaican twin sister Toya. I personally cherish our special bonding times together. Stacy and Antoinnette had such dry humor, but they are truly caring people.

It is amazing that they provide such a quality kids care for free! While they have a great time, the adults can relax or play golf.

And the food was great. I had the best lobster there, seriously. Jaquilline makes the best omelet which I had every morning. Try her salsa! The best. Georgia at the Japanese restaurant was so nice. I wish they had green tea and miso soup at the Japanese restaurant, but I am Japanese, so maybe I expected a bit more..... Obviously, you will not get an authentic Japanese food there, but that's expected.

Tinkerbell and Purple were always nice and friendly with the kids. Keisha at concierge was excellent. And Shurline gave numerous piggy back rides to our kids.

I am sorry, this is such a personal review, but you will understand why when you visit this resort. I want to go back to see the staff because they become your family. I hope Mr. Scott knows how lucky he is to have there people working for him.

Thank you so much for the wonderful time. Hope to see you again soon....

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room because the kids go to bed early. It was a great choice. And great view of...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you so much for staying with us and mentioning the staff that made your stay special. I do Know how great my staff are and it is great to hear about them from people like you.
thanks again and we look forward to your return.
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I am a little late with this review because we have been trying to get my wife well after suffering whatever disease Spirit Airlines was able to provide her. Before I begin the review, a caveat for travelers...If you fly Spirit Airlines, see a shrink before you leave, because you are CRAZY.
Regardless of how Spirit tried to ruin our vacation, the frustrations and exhaustion was eliminated as soon as we stepped off the bus at Jewel and heard our good friend Kirk say, "Welcome home".
It is our home now. We live in paradise on the West coast of Florida, but this resort and its' staff are our new home and family.
The resort is immaculate. The grounds look like several hundred people got on their hands and knees and cut the grass with scissors. The facility is immaculate, ALWAYS, from the rooms to the entire inside and out of the grounds. The staff is wonderful, happy, pleasant, beyond helpful and a real delight. The entertainment is constant and the beaches are wonderful, the water clear and perfect for snorkeling, plenty of beach chairs, and yes towels, as long as you are smart enough to hang on to them. We kept the same beach towels for the entire time we were there. Unless you are lying on them on the beach, there isn't any need to look for one. The food was remarkable, the drinks flowed non-stop, the staff is entertaining just by their personalities. Tomeo at the bar, Willamae keeping our room sparkling and creatively making funny animal towels, the last day with my sunglasses on it and two little eyes made of small blades of grass. Frederick has been on the property for nearly 20 years and is a gentleman in the highest sense of the word. He would be a friend anywhere in the World. Scott runs a good resort, and although you don't see much of him, why would you? He runs a resort with hundreds of staff and guests, and one would suppose his time is limited. There is also another Jewel resort down the bay, and he may be part of that as well. He is extremely competent, friendly, and ensures that all of your needs are met immediately.
We LOVE the resort and will be returning next year. After this review, I am going to e-mail Scott to ensure we can reserve our room (1103) for 6 days, and look forward to spending our anniversary at Jewel again. The negatives you read in the reviews are somewhat petty. This is not a resort for the billionaires and millionaires. It is a resort for ordinary, hard working and retired, families and people who truly want to enjoy themselves and the people and most especially the culture of the Island. If your name is Rockefeller, go somewhere else. Much love to the staff that will read this review( many do...however, downloading anything is difficult. The net is like the old DSL days...get used to it, accept it, hope you get on, and forget about it). In short: relax, mon...no problems...be happy...respect....Thank you Jewel for a wonderful time.See you in January of 2015.

Room Tip: I didn't see any bad rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
thank you for staying with us and mentioning Kirk who makes everyones stay more enjoyable.
I look forward to your email.
Castelli Calepio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Here for business and not for pleasure, therefore I could not use all the facilities the location is offering, like beach, swimming pool and excursion service.
The structure definitely need to be restructured.
The room is large but the furniture is quite poor.
The door can hardly be closed unless you are a body builder.
The bath is also not looking very good.
The food could be much better.
Outside there is nothing.
The positive things are a very kind staff and a very nice beach.
All in all: I have seen better places.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Bruno,
thank you for staying with us. Actually you are still here and we called you yesterday and you said "Everything is fantastic"
Puzzling indeed.
I am not sure what you mean on the structure.
Yaay the furniture has started to arrive and going in to the rooms in February as they are all being re-sprayed.
If you are having trouble with your door or food I wish you would tell us instead of saying everthing is fantastic as we can't fix it for you then can we?
Again I am not sure what you mean about outside there is nothing. what are you looking for?
I am glad that you enjoy our staff and beach.
I agree there are better places and worse as well. We are doing our best. Let us know how we can make your last day more pleasant. More pleasant than fantastic.
regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We came with kids and grandkids ( 15 of us celebrating 4 birthdays !). Best holiday I have ever had. It was January 2014. Sophie started our mornings and every day got better. Food was excellent, the staff was absolutely terrific. We're already figuring out how to come back next year, but next time we'll stay for 10 days.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
thank you so much for bringing your whole family here for your special days. I am glad that you had a great time and will be returning for a longer stay.
We will see you then.
Chaska, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

My girlfriend, her father, 2 sisters and I enjoyed a 5 night stay at Jewel Runaway Beach and Golf Resort. To be honest with you, it was the stay of a lifetime!!!! I enjoyed it so much that I scheduled my next visit to Jamaica 3 days after our return!! This time we're staying for 2 weeks instead! ;-) At Jewel Runaway Bay we met many wonderful people! Staff and guests alike!! However, One staff member stands out as making our trip the "trip of a lifetime"! His name was Antoine! (hopefully i spelled it right) He is a lifeguard at the resort. My girlfriend and her sisters enjoyed talking with him and learning about what they were discovering while snorkeling on the beach. He seemed to be the only employee who enjoyed just being around the common swimmers/guests at the beach. Later in the trip I had the pleasure to learn from and enjoy his company on one of our last snorkeling adventures! Needless to say I was impressed!! There are few times in life that its easy to point out someone who makes a difference, but I would like to say this was one of them!!! Thanks again everyone and especially you Antoine!!! We'll see you again soon!!!
Thank you and best wishes!!
R.J. & A.M.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a view!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear guest,
thank you so much for staying with us at JRB and mentioning a team member that made your stay special.
Scott Robbins

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!