“Great vacation!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Warminster, Pennsylvania
“Great vacation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Traveled 11/15-11/19/13 to the Jewel. After an initial problem with our first room(located in a central but noisy location), we were moved to another room that was quiet and updated, with a lovely garden view. Nightly entertainment was fabulous, especially the Circus and the Silverbirds (steel drum band that plays current rock music!). Another night the staff moved dozens of tables and hundreds of chairs and the entire buffet onto the beach - great experience!On a daily basis, the Buffet was average but always found something we enjoyed a lot. Italian restaurant was exceptional for food, service and atmosphere. Pool with the swim up bar was always busy and loud so we stayed at the main pool and on the beach, plenty of chairs and room to relax. It was somewhat difficult at times to get the bartenders attention, even when the bars were not crowded but it all worked out. Would return again!

Room Tip: 1200 block of rooms on second floor - quiet, modern, lovely view of gardens
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you for staying with us as well as your feedback. I will pass your information on to my team.
thanks again and we look forward to your return.
Scott Robbins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have just returned from 10 days at this resort. Nothing less than beautiful, stunning and paradise. I am a seasoned traveller of the US,Europe and the UK. This was my first experience of the Caribbean. What an experience. Some of my family have been to the Bahamas and Barbados and they even said that Jamaica and the Jewel far exceeded. From the cool freshen up towel on arrival until the genuine goodbye I could not have asked more. One of the first things i must say is stick to US dollars for your currency. many of the reviews here advise to take Jamacian dollars but its not necersary or advisable even the sellers on the beach take US dollars.

I read the reviews like many of us before I left so was a little sceptical those concerns were soon gone and I would add that some of the gripes and moans people list are just ridiculous and unfounded and maybe these people should just stay home because they are never going to be satisfied.

In 10 days I never passed a member of staff in this hotel without being acknowledged and greeted by morning or afternoon they even bothered to look up and say hi when we was on our balcony. Dispite this there was some appalling examples of manners from other guests towards the staff demanding drink and food without please or thank you, maybe these are the people who write the bad reviews !!! Servility costs nothing. Anyway my favourite view was from the coral cafe through the coconut trees and out to the beautiful clear blue sea. Also Monday's beach bar b cue with chefs cooking up delicious jerk chicken & pork. For those of you that enjoy trying the local cuisine there was always Jamaican dishes at every meal to try. I have to mention the staff of the coral cafe as they were second to none. From the lovely Lloye our greeter and seater to Sophia our waitress for whom nothing was too much trouble to Frederick one of the superb chef's, Jacqueline the perfect omelette chef to Ivan the best smoothie maker in the world. If I was to praise all the staff in this review it would never end the bar staff were fab whipping up the most amazing cocktails with the almost obligatory lashing of rum :) If your looking for a massage I recommend Ann Marie in the radiant spa she was fantastic and ensured my 10 hr flight home was as physically comfortable as it could be. A visit to the hotel's Jade Samurai Japenese is a must a fun delicious experience. Spoilt for choice with the 3 pools or the beautiful sandy beach to spend your days. For those that want them there are activities available through the day from the very friendly entertainment team hi Whoopie and Tinkerbell. I would recommend a free trip on the hotels free glass bottom boat and a snorkel out on one of the reefs amazing !!

Try to get out and about while your here, my personal experiences were Dolphin cove, Glistening waters and Dunn's river is a must BUT.. I would give the craft market after a miss the seller are a pain bordering on aggressive and constantly hassle you to buy.

Well I could tell you more about the Jewel but that would spoil the surprise in store for you go there experience it for yourself. You may see me on my return visit !!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay. The fact that you came so far to spend time with us is something that we are greatful for . I am glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself. We look forward to your return.
east rockaway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

My fiance and I were at jewel from 11/14-11/21/13. We had a wonderful time. The staff were friendly and accommodating from Jacqueline the omelette maker, Shamille, Anthony, and Ann Marie serving the meals.

The infinity pool was great with the pool bar and beautiful view of the ocean.

The restaurants were pretty good from the Japanese being the best (we were there 3x), pizzeria, grill, buffet, and the Italian the least liked. The buffet breakfasts were great with make your own omelettes.

We were surprised that the place was not updated since it was formerly the breezes. Our room #1209 had chipped tile and mold in the shower.

I would recommend the jewel and would go back..

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself and look forward to your return.
Middle River, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Travelled between November 20th-25th. This was our annual girls' trip. We had the best time ever. The property is beautiful. The staff is amazing. #1 Customer Service. Shout out to Frederick, the Executive Chef. He took care of his 3 ladies, by personally preparing our Oxtails. Keisha, the Concierge Manager was so attentive to details. She checked us in and printed out our boarding passes for our flight. The Entertainment Team, GK, Ash, Lil Richie, Whoopi, Tinkerbell, Sparkles, Purple, Diamond, Piano Man, The Resident Band and the Disco DJ all know how to do it right! The visiting Entertainment was "Off The Hook". Huge shout out to Dimplez and Swagg. Thanks for stopping by and adding to the fun. Thanks to all the staff who made this a fantastic vacation. If I failed to mention you by name, please charge it to my head and not my heart. We are considering to have our 2015 Family Reunion there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Gwen,
thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to mention the staff that made your stay special.
We will be looking forward to the reunion.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Just got back from 8 nights at the Jewel Runaway Bay and had an excellent time. Upon arrival we upgraded to a room with a plunge pool and it was definitely worth the extra cost.

First let me say it is the staff and people that make this resort. Toya with the entertainment staff was outstanding. Always pleasant and sure to put a smile on your face. Lennox at the beach bar is the best bartender hands down. Omar in the photography shop is also excellent. If you give him some time he will get some great shots to help capture your vacation memories. These are just a few of the staff that make the resort so good.

A lot of people complain about the food at resorts but let me say that we did not have any issues. You can always find something you should like on the buffet and both the Japanese and Italian restaurants were good as well. Egg Boy at the breakfast buffet is a blast.

We played golf four times while we were there and the course is nice but could use some work to be really outstanding. Rayham our caddie for all four rounds was great and really knew the course and greens. If they upgraded the bunkers, the sand was very hard packed, and did a little better job controlling some of the crab grass the course would be first rate.

Rooms were clean and really what more do you need from a room. Hopefully you are not going on vacation to spend time sitting in your room. The stocked refrigerator was a nice addition.

The beach area was good and always clean with plenty of beach chairs. We never had a problem getting a chair regardless of what time of day. The water as you would expect was amazing and had a nice sandy area for swimming.

We met a lot of nice people from Canada, the UK, and all over the U.S. Overall I would rate the resort as very good and it was evident that Jewel was putting money into upgrading the facilities since buying the property from Breezes. I would recommend to anyone to go, you will have a great time. The number of repeat visitors that we met should tell you that you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for staying with us as well as your constructive criticism on the golf course. I immediately shared it with our superintendant at the course and we agree. We just got a new cutter for the greens and tee boxes and will definitely work on all that you mentioned.
Thanks again and we look forward to your return.
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Just returned from an amazing week at the Jewel. I've stayed at many other resorts and this one tops them all! The food was great, the property was spotless, the beds were comfortable, tons to do. Glass bottom boat, archery, laser tag, snorkelling, crafts on the beach. Everything was included. We went to the spa for massages and they are registered so we can claim the massages on our benefits! The team members are amazing Purple and Sandrecia made our vacation perfect. Free wifi in the lobby and turn down services with clean towels in the rooms twice daily and unlimited beach towels made nice touches. Fridge was always stocked. Drinks were great …and the bar tenders are willing to make anything you can think of. The reef out front of the resort is a hidden gem…saw an octopus, manaray, squid, barracuda, and many other tropical fish! This resort is for everyone! I have never recommended a resort until now! I loved my stay and wish I could be back tomorrow.

Room Tip: Just ask for the King size bed…two twins isn't romantic lol
Dear Elaine,
thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time out to mentions some of the staff that made your stay special.
We look forward to your return.
Newmarket, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

It's been a couple of weeks now since my wife and I returned from Jamaica. You know it was a good time when your still talking about the island, the resort, it's food, the beach and staff. From the moment we walked into the Jewel it made you feel comfortable. The smell of cedar in the lobby, the beautiful grounds with tall trees and a staff that's quick to help. Our room was more than adequate with an updated bathroom, king size bed, large flat screen tv (that got Canadian channels) and a decent view of the grounds and Caribbean Sea.

If the beach is what you came for then you'll love this one, it's five star to say the least. Bring your snorkelling gear because there's a reef about twenty feet out that's just littered with hundreds of tropical fish and stunning coral. If you prefer a little quiet then head down to the west end where you'll find lots of chairs under the tall palms. There's also a hot tub and pool that's in the "quite zone".

As for the tasty treats, I'm not sure where some other reviewers had eaten but the food we had was well above par. Both restaurants served excellent meals (you must try Michael's pasta) with a decent wine list if you felt like something a little different than the house. As for breakfast, how could you complain with a couple over easy and a cup of the worlds most fantastic Blue Mountain coffee as you enjoy the sea breeze and beach view. For lunch, the pizza oven was great and the jerk chicken was on point. For something a little different we went ten minutes down the road to the Ultimate Jerk. Certainly worth the effort if your interested in trying the local cuisine.

Lastly, I took my clubs to get in a couple of rounds in while my wife worked out. FYI, work out facilities met with her approval. Everything you'll need to stay in tune. As for the course, it's enjoyable to play but needs some TLC which I believe it is getting. Keep those greens trimmed and straighten up the tees boxes and you'd have a track that's a good test of golf. If you do play ask for Dennis as your caddie, he's a great person to spend some time with. Oh ya, trust his read, he's seldom wrong.

All in all we loved The Jewel, it's people, it's atmosphere and it's feeling of comfort. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you so much for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay. We just got some more equipment for the course to take care of the tee boxes and greens so we are definitely getting there.
Thanks again
Scott Robbins

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!