“Back....again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
“Back....again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Jewel for the second time in January, but I had stayed at the property when it was breezes twice before. This was my fourth trip in a year and a half, and I have to say, still loving it!!

It really is the staff that keeps me coming back, well besides the awesome beach, and Jamaica itself...

I have to say, I have read many reviews about there being no games going on, I can say I participated in several games everyday, even after I was injured (my own fault, but I did not let the last 3 days on crutches stop my good time), more on that later...I did everything from beer pong (icee pong for those under age) to musical chairs, to music trivia and bingo, guest vs staff day which included water polo, pool & beach volleyball and some crazy other crazy games, I even did the fashion show. If the staff had the participants, the games def happened. The only time they did not happen was when not enough people showed up and they had to cancel...they would even try to get participants before canceling. So I highly advise, if you are there for games, show up!!!

The food is decent, and Georgia, Shevelle, Siana, and many others were there providing excellent service. I had my birthday during my stay and Shevelle set-up the table real nice, and a couple of the guests, and some staff, along with my mom and I, had a wonderful dinner, with champagne and cake!! I even got a card that much of the staff signed. Such a memorable night.

A big shout out to ALL of the staff who helped me while I was in a cast and on crutches. From the morning lifeguard who saved a bungalow (felt so bad for not getting his name, but I def remember his face) to Georgia and Omar for the piggy back rides,

Thank you!
Amy

• Stayed January 2013
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for returning to us at Jewel Runaway Bay. You have such a phenominal demeanor it is no wonder why my staff love you.
Thanks again and we look forward to your return.

1,610 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Vacationed at the Runaway Jewel in St. Ann's February 18th through the 22nd with four other couples. This was our first time in Jamaica ( several times, in parts of Mexico). Went through customs fast, then they provided free transportation to the resort, it was OK, little bit of a wait to make sure we had everyone. From the airport its about an hour and a half, we arrived at the resort at about 3 in the afternoon. We stayed in room 2208, it over looks the grounds but not much more, didn't really bother us that we didn't have a ocean view room. The room was nice, furniture is a little dated, bed was comfy, bathroom was spacious, but nothing to write home about. Pretty much enjoyed the resort while we were there, the guys went golfing one day at the course just down the street. The greens fees are included in our stay but by the time you rent clubs, shoes and pay for mandatory caddie it was about 75.00 a person, still worth it though. One day all of us went to the Dunn River Falls, booked through the resort was 50.00 per person, it was fun. They drop you off at Dunn River falls, wear water socks, or something you don't mind getting wet, or you can rent water socks for 7.00. You can also rent a locker to put your other belongings that was 8.00, but you got 3.00 back when you return key Note: they are big lockers, so you could share with others in your group to save a little money. They walk you down to the bottom , group you with about 25 other people, you form a daisy chain by holding hands, then proceed up the falls through the rapid water, my wife even went, it was a blast.

What they have for restaurants? they have an Italian sit down, formal wear, serve on a first come first serve basis's, it was good. Japanese, where they cook in front of you, have to have reservations, so book right when you get there, it was fun, our cook was a blast!!! The have a place where they make wood fire pizzas, the normal buffet place, for breakfast lunch and dinner. They also have a open grill where they make Hamburgers, chicken wraps, hot dogs fries etc. I thought the food was very good, for breakfast a gentleman by the name of Egg Boy makes its quite entertaining, you'll know what I'm talking about if you ever get the chance to talk with him.

Out of the 10 of us, I'm the only one who doesn't drink, but they also have a drink menu for us, so it was a nice change of pace. The rest got there fill and I didn't hear anyone complaining, LOL. My biggest mistake out of this whole trip was not getting names, when you read the reviews about the staff, they're spot on, these people are GREAT. I remember the last night in particular, I was waiting for my wife to come out of the restroom and i was staring out onto the beach. This staff person walks by on a mission to do something else says "Hey hows it going" I said " I'm sad", this guy stops on a dime and says "whats the problem Mon", i said "going home tomorrow", he says "here give me a hug', lol. Now this guy could have kept on walking, but that's the kind of people they are.

The front office people helped us print our boarding passes and made sure we were all set to go. I would stay here again!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay. I love the beach story! Thanks again and we look forward to your return.
Regards,
Florida, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lots of variety with the food, there is a Japanese and Italian restaurant.Most staff memebers were very helpful and the entertainment and activities were really good, especially the laser tag. We all had a great time playing laser tag like we were all teenagers again. Shout out to Bi-Bip who was great at making us feel like family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
thank your for your reveiw and we look forward to your return.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Pros: many things for kids to do. Whoopi and the rest of the entertainment staff did a great job with the kids. The beach is amazing. Pools are nice and grounds are nice. The food was average the Japanese and the Thursday night mangers party had the best food. Dunns falls was great, a must do, snorkeling was fun and saw lot of fish. Kids love the game room.
Cons: we had to ask for towels in our rooms multiple times, lack of beach chairs, you need to get up early to get chairs, and many of the chairs are broken. Always a wait to get towels, saw someone bring the towels from their room down, good idea, kids were freezing getting out of the pool and had to ran back to the room to get towels.
Overall it was a fun and good stay and great price, the value is why I rated it 4 stars.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay. I am glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed themselves. One of our policies is that we do not have a towel policy. I don't think people realize that so they take more than needed thus having a "run on the bank" It should calm down as we are inserting more into system.
thanks again and we look forward to your return.
Haddon Heights, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I just returned from the Jewel and we had a great time. Arrived on a Saturday and left on a Wednesday. Only complaint was that it was too short. Obviously.

Customs was a little long on Saturday afternoon so try for another day if you can. Attempting to get transportation from Montego Bay to the Jewel was interesting. Hold onto your luggage and don't let the men with carts take your bags because they just take them from the lobby of the airport to the curb and expect a tip. You can do that yourself.
The Jewel was the second stop on the approx. 1hr 10min bus ride but like others said on here, it's almost like a tour of the coastline. Grab some Red Stripes at the airport bar and enjoy the trip.

Checking in was SO simple and they greet you with the drink of the day. We were on the beach within minutes of getting off the bus. Shurline was awesome at moving the process along.

We had a premium guest room and it was fine. Before the trip we tried to upgrade because we were nervous about quality. Pretty glad we didn't spend the money on that. Stayed in the middle building on the second floor with ocean view. Room is slightly dated but Scott (GM) and the rest of the crew are working on it. Give them time. Friends of ours had a room similar to ours but the shower was updated with several jets. We were jealous. You aren't in your room enough to care what it looks like. Bed was comfortable, fridge was stocked with water and soda, turn-down service was a nice touch after dinner and drinks. Sounds from the connecting room were easily audible and made for some interesting entertainment. Take advantage of the free safe. All of our valuables were safe and secure in there.

Make friends with Marvin the lifeguard so he can reserve you some chairs and he'll get you towels. Just make sure to give him a few dollars each time. The better chairs fill up fast when the weather is ideal. Beach is always raked and clean. Bring / rent snorkel gear because the reef off the beach is great for inexperienced tourists like us. We tried to take the glass bottom boat (free) out but the ocean was too choppy for those endeavors. Heard it's pretty cool though.

Food is good. It's an all-inclusive so what more do you want?? Pizza place opened up while we were there and we had dinner there on the first night. Great brick oven pizza. Japanese place was great too. We ate there twice. Request Bubba as your chef. He is very entertaining. The grill was always nice for some in-between or late night snacks. They are open until 7am!! That's wild. Breakfast buffet was as expected. We suggest getting an omelette and making a breakfast sandwich on a toasted bagel. Italian place requires shoes.

Do yourself a favor and bring an insulated mug. Lots of guests had those Bubba brand keg mugs. The cups/glasses you get from the bars are small and require many trips to the bar. Best drink there = jamaican smile (strawberry daq / pina colada / rum cream).

Played golf across the street and was happy with the course. I wasn't expecting much being that it was a golf course in Jamaica but the greens were in nice shape and the caddy (Ryan) helped with pin placement and where to aim off the tee. Brought my own shoes, glove and golf balls but rented clubs. They were ok.

Weather wasn't good pretty much the whole time we were there but there is no one to blame unfortunately. Wish I could hold SOMEone accountable. The resort does a nice job of making entertainment available on cloudy/rainy days.

Room Tip: Second floor, ocean view, don't spend your money on the plunge pools (freezing cold and no priva...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear guest ,
Thank you so much for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay. Go ahead you can blame me for the weather and I do apologize for it. I remember that week. I will do my very best to make it up to you when you return. Just let me know when you are coming.
Regards
Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I can not say enough about our first trip to the Jewel. From the staff, to the hotel everything lived up to or exceeded our expectations. I have been to many resorts but this one is at the top of my list. A BIG shout out to the entertainment staff which did a great job. The staff was warm and friendly and went out of there way to make our stay fantastic.We will be going back next year!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong, But after looking at the water all day it was nice to go back, open up the d...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us at jewel runaway bay as well as taking the time to write your review. We look forward to your return.
Regards
Cobourg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed at the Jewel Runaway Bay from Feb 10-17 as part of a group of 120+ people. This was our first trip to Jamaica.
It is obvious that a lot of work is going into this resort. Lots of fresh paint, freshly groomed foliage can be seen around the resort. Our room was located on the 2nd floor as requested & was nicely decorated with no issues at all. Below our room was a plunge pool room – there is the constant sound of running water from these pools as they have a water fall feature. The housekeeping team was great.

We enjoyed all of the restaurants that we ate at. The Japanese and Italian restaurants were great and the buffet was very good with a good selection every day. The breakfast entertainment by Egg Boy was a definite highlight. Pizza hut was not open yet, but expected within a couple of days – maybe next time. We also enjoyed lunch at the grill. The drink selection was good with lots of variety. We enjoyed the entertainment throughout the day, including the steel drum band on our first night. All the staff was friendly & very helpful.

Wifi was available in the lobby at no cost. Computers were also available for guest to use in the computer room. The concierge desk was very helpful – able to answer all questions that we had.
We took the free glass bottom boat ride along the reef directly from the resort. There were hobby cat rides too. Just sign up at the hut. They offer snorkeling and diving as well.
The beach is very nice with lots of lounges and trees for shade. Hammocks and cabana huts are also available. Staff was removing and replacing lounges for cleaning and maintenance both on the beach and around the pools.
There are 3 pools – each just a little different – the pool with the swim up bar is an infinity pool – not very deep. The larger pool is a bit more conducive to swimming being a bit deeper. There is another smaller pool by the oceanview suites. Towels are available at the huts near the pools
The grounds are lush and very well kept – the hard work of the gardeners is very obvious.
We did the Dunn's River Falls excursion – lots of fun hiking up the falls. Enjoyed our shopping trip into Ocho Rios & really liked the Coyaba Gardens Tour. Ocho Rios Highlights is a tour worth taking if you don’t want a full day away from the resort – ½ day .
We prefer a smaller sized resort and loved the resort and the staff are amazing and couldn’t do enough for us. Thanks to Scott & his staff for a very memorable vacation. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Rooms in Building One nice and quiet. (East side of the resort.)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
We loved have you and your group at our resort. We would actually love to make it an annual thing. Hint Hint.
Thanks so much for your reveiw and we look forward to your return.
Scott Robbins

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!