“Just what the doctor ordered in February” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
Haddon Heights, NJ
“Just what the doctor ordered in February”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I just returned from the Jewel and we had a great time. Arrived on a Saturday and left on a Wednesday. Only complaint was that it was too short. Obviously.

Customs was a little long on Saturday afternoon so try for another day if you can. Attempting to get transportation from Montego Bay to the Jewel was interesting. Hold onto your luggage and don't let the men with carts take your bags because they just take them from the lobby of the airport to the curb and expect a tip. You can do that yourself.
The Jewel was the second stop on the approx. 1hr 10min bus ride but like others said on here, it's almost like a tour of the coastline. Grab some Red Stripes at the airport bar and enjoy the trip.

Checking in was SO simple and they greet you with the drink of the day. We were on the beach within minutes of getting off the bus. Shurline was awesome at moving the process along.

We had a premium guest room and it was fine. Before the trip we tried to upgrade because we were nervous about quality. Pretty glad we didn't spend the money on that. Stayed in the middle building on the second floor with ocean view. Room is slightly dated but Scott (GM) and the rest of the crew are working on it. Give them time. Friends of ours had a room similar to ours but the shower was updated with several jets. We were jealous. You aren't in your room enough to care what it looks like. Bed was comfortable, fridge was stocked with water and soda, turn-down service was a nice touch after dinner and drinks. Sounds from the connecting room were easily audible and made for some interesting entertainment. Take advantage of the free safe. All of our valuables were safe and secure in there.

Make friends with Marvin the lifeguard so he can reserve you some chairs and he'll get you towels. Just make sure to give him a few dollars each time. The better chairs fill up fast when the weather is ideal. Beach is always raked and clean. Bring / rent snorkel gear because the reef off the beach is great for inexperienced tourists like us. We tried to take the glass bottom boat (free) out but the ocean was too choppy for those endeavors. Heard it's pretty cool though.

Food is good. It's an all-inclusive so what more do you want?? Pizza place opened up while we were there and we had dinner there on the first night. Great brick oven pizza. Japanese place was great too. We ate there twice. Request Bubba as your chef. He is very entertaining. The grill was always nice for some in-between or late night snacks. They are open until 7am!! That's wild. Breakfast buffet was as expected. We suggest getting an omelette and making a breakfast sandwich on a toasted bagel. Italian place requires shoes.

Do yourself a favor and bring an insulated mug. Lots of guests had those Bubba brand keg mugs. The cups/glasses you get from the bars are small and require many trips to the bar. Best drink there = jamaican smile (strawberry daq / pina colada / rum cream).

Played golf across the street and was happy with the course. I wasn't expecting much being that it was a golf course in Jamaica but the greens were in nice shape and the caddy (Ryan) helped with pin placement and where to aim off the tee. Brought my own shoes, glove and golf balls but rented clubs. They were ok.

Weather wasn't good pretty much the whole time we were there but there is no one to blame unfortunately. Wish I could hold SOMEone accountable. The resort does a nice job of making entertainment available on cloudy/rainy days.

Room Tip: Second floor, ocean view, don't spend your money on the plunge pools (freezing cold and no priva...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear guest ,
Thank you so much for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay. Go ahead you can blame me for the weather and I do apologize for it. I remember that week. I will do my very best to make it up to you when you return. Just let me know when you are coming.
Regards

1,597 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I can not say enough about our first trip to the Jewel. From the staff, to the hotel everything lived up to or exceeded our expectations. I have been to many resorts but this one is at the top of my list. A BIG shout out to the entertainment staff which did a great job. The staff was warm and friendly and went out of there way to make our stay fantastic.We will be going back next year!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong, But after looking at the water all day it was nice to go back, open up the d...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us at jewel runaway bay as well as taking the time to write your review. We look forward to your return.
Regards
Cobourg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed at the Jewel Runaway Bay from Feb 10-17 as part of a group of 120+ people. This was our first trip to Jamaica.
It is obvious that a lot of work is going into this resort. Lots of fresh paint, freshly groomed foliage can be seen around the resort. Our room was located on the 2nd floor as requested & was nicely decorated with no issues at all. Below our room was a plunge pool room – there is the constant sound of running water from these pools as they have a water fall feature. The housekeeping team was great.

We enjoyed all of the restaurants that we ate at. The Japanese and Italian restaurants were great and the buffet was very good with a good selection every day. The breakfast entertainment by Egg Boy was a definite highlight. Pizza hut was not open yet, but expected within a couple of days – maybe next time. We also enjoyed lunch at the grill. The drink selection was good with lots of variety. We enjoyed the entertainment throughout the day, including the steel drum band on our first night. All the staff was friendly & very helpful.

Wifi was available in the lobby at no cost. Computers were also available for guest to use in the computer room. The concierge desk was very helpful – able to answer all questions that we had.
We took the free glass bottom boat ride along the reef directly from the resort. There were hobby cat rides too. Just sign up at the hut. They offer snorkeling and diving as well.
The beach is very nice with lots of lounges and trees for shade. Hammocks and cabana huts are also available. Staff was removing and replacing lounges for cleaning and maintenance both on the beach and around the pools.
There are 3 pools – each just a little different – the pool with the swim up bar is an infinity pool – not very deep. The larger pool is a bit more conducive to swimming being a bit deeper. There is another smaller pool by the oceanview suites. Towels are available at the huts near the pools
The grounds are lush and very well kept – the hard work of the gardeners is very obvious.
We did the Dunn's River Falls excursion – lots of fun hiking up the falls. Enjoyed our shopping trip into Ocho Rios & really liked the Coyaba Gardens Tour. Ocho Rios Highlights is a tour worth taking if you don’t want a full day away from the resort – ½ day .
We prefer a smaller sized resort and loved the resort and the staff are amazing and couldn’t do enough for us. Thanks to Scott & his staff for a very memorable vacation. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Rooms in Building One nice and quiet. (East side of the resort.)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
We loved have you and your group at our resort. We would actually love to make it an annual thing. Hint Hint.
Thanks so much for your reveiw and we look forward to your return.
Babylon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was our first trip to Jamaica and we absolutely loved Jewel! The staff was so warm and friendly and always accomodated our every need. We loved the beach and did some snorkeling and saw a sting ray, so that was a bonus. We used the kayaks and went on the hobie. Loved the water sports! But I think the thing we loved best was the entertainment. There was always something going on, and the night shows and bands were great. It was just like you picture the caribbean, warm and fun with great music.
The food was excellent. Lots of variety and my kids were happy with the snack bar and with the self-serve ice cream.
I really have not a single complaint about this resort and we are frequent visitors to all-inclusives.

Room Tip: The water pool rooms are nice, with their own pools, but truthfully I did not see too many people in...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself at the resort. We look forward to your return.
Slidell, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was my first trip to St.Ann, Jamaica and at first I didn't want to stay so far from Montego Bay. After my initial shock on the distance of the resort from the Airport, I was just ready to have a good time. When we departed the van we were greeted with drinks and well wishes for a good time and, the stage was set! The resort has great beach front access, cabana's and shop's. The accommodations were nice and the staff was excellent, I will consider staying at the Jewel on my next trip out to Jamaica. Joel Ward, a cook was especially accommodating with my special dietary needs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay as well as your feedback. We look forward to your return.
Lapeer, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Just returned after a 5 night stay from 2/18-2/22/13 with my husband and 4 and 6 year olds. The Jewel is a well maintained property with super friendly staff. They were exceptionally caring and friendly towards my kids. Sorry for the long review, but I find the longer reviews more helpful than the short ones. :)

When we arrived, Donovan (a bellhop), was quick to help us with our things. My kids loved him and went to the lobby everyday to try and find him so they could say hi. When we checked in, we were given a complimentary upgrade to a plunge pool room (from our original water view room I originally booked because the website says kids aren't allowed in plunge pool rooms).

The room smelled of fresh paint, but with the patio door open, it quickly went away. We were given an extra twin bed so the kids didn't have to sleep together and it was quickly made up for us. My son checked out the plunge pool right away and it was cold!!!!!! The air worked great in the room and the bathroom was huge. The shower didn't work really well, but nothing big enough to call for repairs.

If we left the door hanger out that said maid service, they would come and mop and make the beds, but the bedding never got changed because sand from our kids feet was never removed from the sheets. It's our fault we never remembered to talk with the maids about the sheets until it was bedtime again.

Our mini fridge was always stocked. Odene (I'm not sure of the spelling) always made sure my husband had plenty of Cokes. He was so nice. The original pop in the fridge was expired, but we drank it anyways and it was fine. If rooms aren't used for a while, that should be checked.

The buffet was great for breakfast and dinner. We never ate lunch there because we were enjoying the burgers, jerk chicken nd nachos from the grill by the pool. The hotdog we ordered one day from the grill was like a Fluorescent pink color inside, so we stayed away from those.

We had pizza the first day the pizzaria it opened and it was amazing!!!! We ordered the pizza with 4 cheeses and had them add jerk chicken to it. Yum!!!!

The Japanese restaurant needs a reservation and it was ok. We didn't feel the need to go back to it for a second night.

The Italian restaurant was awful. It took forever to get a drink and our food. When we got our drinks, they weren't right. The lasagna was nasty and the soup was pure starch. My husband told her to forget bringing his ravioli since it took so long and he ended up eating what the chef made at the pasta station. I would reccommend ditching the menu and put in a handful of pasta stations. The waitress (can't remember her name) was really out of it and couldn't remember anything. The only thing that was good was the Cesar salad and hard vanilla ice cream. Not a restaurant we wanted to spend our last night in jamaica at.

The staff at the kids club was awesome!!! Toni took great car of our kids along with her friend (name started with an M). Toya was great, too. The only complaint is that when I went to get my kids twice, they were out and about in the resort and I couldn't find them. They have the schedule written on a big board, so I would check in the place that was on the board....with no luck. I even went to the front desk asking where they would be if the board said snack time. I went to all 3 restaurants with no luck. I finally found them on the tennis courts!!! Kind of frustrating when I didn't have sunscreen on them and didn't think I would need to since all the activities for that morning were supposed to be indoors. I would suggest that they have some sort of sign they can write on so parents know exactly where their kids are when they take the kids out of the building.

My daughter got her hair braided at the salon from Marsha. She did an amazing job. It took 2 hours, so I got the chance to talk to the 3 salon workers about life in Jamaica. Consider going to the salon even if it is for the cheapest service they offer. They don't get paid at all if they don't have a customer all day. They all have kids and school is not free for their children in Jamaica. Getting a service at the spa will make their day and yours!!!! I was talking with them about the pizza and they all said how they would love to try it just once but they aren't allowed to eat it or they will get fired for eating any resort food. Maybe a treat from management to the employees would be a pizza every once in a while. I would have brought them one, but they were way too afraid they would get caught.

The head of grounds was super nice!! He helped us get more palm fronds for Ivan on the beach who makes amazing hats out of them. He is there 3 days a week, so make sure you get a hat from Ivan.

Sherline was the sweetest employee in the whole resort. She is assigned to butler guests, but goes above and beyond to take care of everyone. She deserves a raise!!!!! My kids adored her!!!

The gift shop was nice, but I had a not so nice experience in there. I found 2 Christmas ornaments for $5 each. When I got to the counter, the Oman said "oh I have to make you a new price". I thought she was going to give me a deal, but instead marked each one up to $8 each!!!!! I couldn't believe it!!!! My husband met me in there and had a run-around with her about the change and she ended up changing them back to $5 each. Unreal!!!!! Don't buy sunscreen in there, either....the maids always have tons on their carts from guests who have left it behind.

Pools and beach were amazing!!!!! The hot tubs, not so much. The big one was just barely warm the first day we were there and the jets didn't work. We didn't bother going back to it. The tiny one was bubbling good, but it was scalding hot. I'm so glad my husband tried it before my kids got in or we would have had burnt kids. We told the front desk and the next day it was drained and being cleaned.

Pray you don't need to go to the nurse unless its just for a bandaid. We had to see him for our daughters' bad cough. He was not very confident and told us things that were so off the wall. We would have called the house call doctor if we stayed any longer, but luckily we didn't have to.

Overall, we had a great time, but probably won't return. Not that we didn't enjoy the trip, we just like to try out new places.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a plunge pool. Not really worth it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us a Jewel Runaway Bay and the great feedback that you have given us. I have passed it on to my team to obviously do better in everythng that we do.
Thanks again
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed for 14 nights ending 10th February. We didn't pay 5 star prices so we were not expecting perfection. What we got exceeded our expectations. Excellent beach, good room kept clean by our very hard working room maid. We found all the staff tried very hard and were always friendly. Food was ok but could be improved upon.
Being a tennis nut I was delighted to find the 4 courts all in playable condition with a competent tennis coach who turned up on schedule 6 days a week. The floodlights do work and this is all inclusive.
We also used the hotel's golf course and were suitably impressed by the course and it's driving range. You have to pay for a caddie and if you want a buggy you also have to pay for that, however the caddies are very knowledgeable and gave masses of coaching to the less proficient of us. Seymour A. Rose, the senior coach at the driving range was particularly excellent.

We also loved the glass-bottomed boat trip which was also included in the holiday. All in all a good holiday all round.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay as well as your feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the tennis and the golf. We look forward to your return.
Regards,
Scott Robbins

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!