My girlfriend and I just returned from the Jewel and we had a great time. Arrived on a Saturday and left on a Wednesday. Only complaint was that it was too short. Obviously.
Customs was a little long on Saturday afternoon so try for another day if you can. Attempting to get transportation from Montego Bay to the Jewel was interesting. Hold onto your luggage and don't let the men with carts take your bags because they just take them from the lobby of the airport to the curb and expect a tip. You can do that yourself.
The Jewel was the second stop on the approx. 1hr 10min bus ride but like others said on here, it's almost like a tour of the coastline. Grab some Red Stripes at the airport bar and enjoy the trip.
Checking in was SO simple and they greet you with the drink of the day. We were on the beach within minutes of getting off the bus. Shurline was awesome at moving the process along.
We had a premium guest room and it was fine. Before the trip we tried to upgrade because we were nervous about quality. Pretty glad we didn't spend the money on that. Stayed in the middle building on the second floor with ocean view. Room is slightly dated but Scott (GM) and the rest of the crew are working on it. Give them time. Friends of ours had a room similar to ours but the shower was updated with several jets. We were jealous. You aren't in your room enough to care what it looks like. Bed was comfortable, fridge was stocked with water and soda, turn-down service was a nice touch after dinner and drinks. Sounds from the connecting room were easily audible and made for some interesting entertainment. Take advantage of the free safe. All of our valuables were safe and secure in there.
Make friends with Marvin the lifeguard so he can reserve you some chairs and he'll get you towels. Just make sure to give him a few dollars each time. The better chairs fill up fast when the weather is ideal. Beach is always raked and clean. Bring / rent snorkel gear because the reef off the beach is great for inexperienced tourists like us. We tried to take the glass bottom boat (free) out but the ocean was too choppy for those endeavors. Heard it's pretty cool though.
Food is good. It's an all-inclusive so what more do you want?? Pizza place opened up while we were there and we had dinner there on the first night. Great brick oven pizza. Japanese place was great too. We ate there twice. Request Bubba as your chef. He is very entertaining. The grill was always nice for some in-between or late night snacks. They are open until 7am!! That's wild. Breakfast buffet was as expected. We suggest getting an omelette and making a breakfast sandwich on a toasted bagel. Italian place requires shoes.
Do yourself a favor and bring an insulated mug. Lots of guests had those Bubba brand keg mugs. The cups/glasses you get from the bars are small and require many trips to the bar. Best drink there = jamaican smile (strawberry daq / pina colada / rum cream).
Played golf across the street and was happy with the course. I wasn't expecting much being that it was a golf course in Jamaica but the greens were in nice shape and the caddy (Ryan) helped with pin placement and where to aim off the tee. Brought my own shoes, glove and golf balls but rented clubs. They were ok.
Weather wasn't good pretty much the whole time we were there but there is no one to blame unfortunately. Wish I could hold SOMEone accountable. The resort does a nice job of making entertainment available on cloudy/rainy days.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, one of the most complete all-inclusive resorts in the world. Located on 22 lush, oceanfront acres of Jamaica's famed north coast, this spectacular resort offers some of the best SCUBA and golf on the island. Unwind in our new plunge pool suites. Indulge in our new full-service spa. Dine around at up to 5 different restaurants and 5 different free-flowing bars including a swim-up pool bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club Hotel Runaway Bay
- Breezes Runaway Bay Resort And Golf Club
- Breezes Runaway Bay Jamaica
- Breezes Runaway Bay Hotel
- Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort Jamaica