“Most Change Is Good ;-)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
South Range, Wisconsin
“Most Change Is Good ;-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This somewhat rambling review is the product of a week of Red Stripe and sun. This was my third trip to the resort, first since Jewel took over. The airport transfer process was amazingly fast and efficient. What took an hour under Breezes, took 5 minutes under Jewel, and that's just the airport time. I was on the bus 5 minutes after checking in at the transfer booth. We waited for about 15 minutes for bus to fill, then we were off. (When you walk out the door, immediately to your right is a bar. Grab a couple red stripe or a tropical drink or two for the bus ride. It's about an hour and 20 minute ride, but you stop after about 25 minutes at a roadside bar for bathrooms and more red stripe.) It was 2 hours at the airport under Breezes one time before the bus even moved. When you get to the resort, they are ready for you. You get a clip board, you sit down, fill out a 5 minute form, and are ushered to your room. A HUGE improvement over Breezes. Kudos on the streamlined check-in. The front desk staff is amazingly efficient.

The room was clean and comfortable. The bedding appears to have been upgraded from when it was Breezes. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. The housekeeping did a great job of keeping the room up. The Bath and Body Works toiletries are a nice addition. The plunge pool was clean, and well-kept. Air conditioning worked great. Housekeeping was excellent, but you never knew when they were going to be there. Sometimes in the morning, sometimes late afternoon, no biggie, tho, they do a great job of keeping the room.

A half hour after checking in, I was sitting at the beach bar for my first Red Stripe of the trip. Keg is dry. No problem, I'll wander over to the infinity bar and get one. Nope. Keg is dry. Keron, said no problem, mon. He went to the lobby bar and brought back a tray of glasses of Red Stripe. I grabbed a couple and wandered. After a bit I returned to the beach bar, and they had bottles of Red Stripe available. Apparently the beer truck was in an accident and couldn't make the keg drop. Problem solved.

I ate the buffet for breakfast (only option really). The food is good, EggBoy is still doing his thing. I got the impression that there were a lot less options, though. There seemed to be some empty space. The quality of the food was quite good. Lunch was between the buffet and the beach grill. Buffet was good. Beach grill has more selections under Jewel, including nachos now. When I ordered a "jerk burger" I did get some confused looks at first, then I just said cheeseburger with jerk sauce. Also, the nachos are pretty plain, so I would have them put jerk sauce on the cheese sauce, and have jerk nachos. Suppers were all at Moonstone, the Italian restaurant. Nicole was my waitress the second night, and I stuck with her the rest of the trip. She is an excellent server. I would challenge her when I was unsure what I wanted, and would say "mix grill" or chicken, and see what happened. Over the course of the week, she paid attention to what I enjoyed, and what I didn't. By the last 2 nights, she was already planning my meal for me, and by the last night, I just sat back and waited to see what surprises she had for me. She did an amazing job of remembering my tastes, and working around dishes I may not have been impressed with. Ask for her, Nicole, challenge her, and trust her. She pays attention. Oh, and the food there is pretty darn good, too.

Tipping was an issue that I was concerned about. Breezes did not allow tips. Jewel does. From my observation, people were not treated differently if they didn't tip. The staff is professional, and appreciative of any gratuity. Remember, you are rewarding service, not buying a personal bartender. I highly recommend tipping those who deserve...and, on this trip, they all deserved. Bartenders Duval at the Lobby bar, Tomeik and Christopher at the beach bar, go above and beyond. Keron, went above and beyond. And Im not saying tip every drink or beer, but do take care of them.

Kids at the Jewel. This was the major sticking point for me. It was almost a deal breaker, but Scott Robbins, the General Manager (more about him later if I remember), convinced me to try it. And I'm glad he did. I was there January 22-29, a slow time for kids anyway, but I could count on one had, the number of kids there. A couple teens wandered about and participated in some of the activities. The activities have mellowed from when it was adults only, but certainly not a deal breaker. The kids were well behaved. It's the parents that HAVE to remember that the lifeguards are NOT babysitters. Nor are the other guests who felt compelled to stay poolside (ME) watching YOUR 5 year old was swimming in +5' deep water, struggling a bit, while you are with another kid on the other side of the world. Nuff said about that.

The Concierge Keisha is amazing. She know's the answers, she get's things done. And she was my "go to" lady when I had an issue. If you have an issue, go to her. If you don't, and complain about it on here, Scott Robbins, will call you to task. ;-) As he should. They will go so far out of their way to make your stay is enjoyable. They will go out of their way to fix things. Heck, I had a couple small issues that I brought up to Keisha, I can't even remember what they are now. If you can't take them to her, then don't bring them here. This place goes so far out of their way sometimes, it's actually ridiculous.

The General Manager Scott Robbins. I get the impression he really cares about the facility, and the guest's impression of it. He is often wandering the facility, checking on things, talking to people. He is more concerned about our impression of the facility than "being the boss". On several occasions, I observed him bussing empty glasses to the bar, instead of finding someone and telling them to do it. You can tell he is more concerned about the facility and our happiness, then "being the boss." This is a good way to manage people.

I can't say enough good about the new JRB. And quite honestly, I have no complaints what-so-ever. I recommend, and I will return. Do not hesitate to message me if you have any questions about the place, or people.

Room Tip: Plunge pool rooms are worth the extra, imho.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for not changing your reservation and staying with us at the Jewel. I am so glad that you enjoyed it as well as our staff who I agree are amazing. Thank you for all of your feedback and correspondence and I hope you continue to return and write us often.

1,566 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
peterborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

What an amazing “Jewel” this resort is!! Travelled as a family with kids 15/13/7 and everyone of us agreed this was the best vacation yet. From the minute we arrived at the resort until the time we sadly said goodbye we were planning our return visit. Check in was the easiest we have experienced to date, we were led to the lobby by Shurline (amazing woman) where she brought us our keys, information, and welcome drink. Our rooms where connecting as we had requested , one with doubles for the kids and the other had twins which with a very quick request to the front desk, was a king by the time we called it a night. Delighted to find “Bath & Bodyworks” toiletries in the room along with nice towels (changed twice daily) and very comfy duvets, flat screen televisions, they were perfect. As others have mentioned the size of this resort is perfect, for our family just small enough to be able to get around easily, the kids have a bit of freedom as there isn’t much chance of them getting lost (not that it would be possible because every staff member knew their names by the first day) and just steps to the beach, pool etc… Beach wonderful, pool great, activities ran for the most part on schedule (Barbie & Purple always had a smile and Bibeep is awesome at “S’s & O’s”), evening entertainment fantastic (especially the “Steel Birds” AMAZING SHOW! my hands hurt from clapping so hard and according to my 7yo the boys play a mean game of Foosball) Drinks plentiful and yummy (great red wine), service fast & with a smile everytime, food, OMG the FOOD, I’m super picky and found the food outstanding as did everyone else in the family I think my 15yo ate his weight in Jerk Chicken & fries (Thank you Kenroy at the grill!!) Our first night the kids stumbled across the “kids club” and from that night on we rarely saw our youngest daughter from the minute she woke up she couldn’t wait to go see her friends. All of these ladies went out of their way to make sure my kids had a blast (Toya, “Sparkle” (Mishka), Toni, “Sunshine” (Shanakai?? Sorry about the spelling) the older kids loved the laser tag, what a fantastic activity a shout out to the man who runs it he is doing a great job. One of the highlights for my 13yo was spending time painting with Clive at the arts hut on the beach, he spent time teaching her tips and tricks what a talented man! We only had to make one reservation for the Japanese which the lady at concierge did with a smile she even remembered our room number when I asked a question 3 days later. There were a few huts for shopping off the resort, definitely recommend taking the short walk we were initially intimidated and afraid we were going to get harassed, most were pushy but nothing a polite “no thanks” handled . The staff definitely makes this place; they are genuine, happy and fantastic at their jobs. I have only one suggestion, as much as I love the ability to exchange beach towels at leisure it was difficult to find a chair at the pool & beach as they were always “taken” with towels, here’s the thing… I’m not sure if people were actually reserving chairs or they just abandoned their towels there and moved on somewhere else. Thank you to all of the wonderful people at this resort (sorry if I’m forgetting anyone) for making this a memorable family vacation!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us as well as all of your great feedback.
We look forward to your return.
Regards,
Richmond VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We were here the week of January 20. This was our first all inclusive resort and we were a little worried we might be bored, but as soon as we arrived, we were greeted with a tropical drink and a long list of activities at the resort for that day. There was something for everyone! We went kayaking, snorkeling, played tennis, did yoga on the beach, danced, tried scuba diving, met people from all over the world, and napped in a shady beach cabana in a gentle tropical breeze. There was a great variety of good food (I'm a vegetarian and found nice choices at every restaurant). The water sports staff were first rate, and the evening entertainment was spectacular. They offered an orientation each day at 11 which we missed. If I go back next year I will do the orientation. All the staff were very professional, friendly and helpful. It was very relaxing and I would love to return.

Room Tip: There were two wings to the hotel. Our wing was very quiet at night-no noises but the tree frogs an...
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. We look forward to your return.
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My wife and I travelled to the jewel from Canada on the 5th of January. Upon arriving, everyone was more than kind and friendly to us. My Wife Beverly has a disablibity and the people at the desk gave us a beautiful room with a gorgeous view steps away from the party pool, all night snack grill ( Amazing food, especially Kamal's cookin!) and Buffet!
SO... Here me now , Mek me tell Yu!!!
Dis IS LOCK!!!!!!!
I LOVE EVERYONE AT THIS RESORT! Ivan, Frederick, Egg Boy... Wicked Cooks!!... Duval Sherene,Courtney, Dionne, Purple, Seymour, HULK, Shurline, Kadron and KAMAL! ... All these people made our vacation so warm and welcoming. Knew our names by the second day!!
Special Thanks To BARBIE!!! Wat a gwan, me know sey you a check dis!!! LOL :) Miss an love you all lots.
Anyways enough of that, besides the beautiful people the staff are, the resort itself is beautiful. I've travelled to much larger resorts and didn't like it as much as this one.. Usually Bahia, and Riu's i've stayed at but the Jewel is much cozier and feels like you fit right it..
Food is the best i've ever had.. Especially the jerk and oxtail, not to mention the curry goat!! If you don't like JAMAICAN food, don't go to Jamaica.. All these reviews about the food being repeatitive and not good... Bull $h^7! the only issue i may have had was that the a la carte restaurants weren't always open but meh, we got by just fine and partly it was bad timing on our part when we booked our excursions.
The room we had was gorgeous, full beach view,.. king size bed, second floor.. which is tottally worth it.. the plunge pool below sounded like a waterfall out the patio doors and was nice to wake up too.. If your considering getting a plunge pool for PRIVACY? not so much, people up top can see EVERYTHING ! LOL. Rooms were stocked daily with amazing coffee and the room attendants are very friendly!
My Wife Beverley says Hi to everyone there that touched our lives! we will never forget you!
So onto the reviews about Scott the Hotel owner and manager .. We read some bad reviews about him, i'm always a guy to see how someone treats me before passing judgment. Bev had here pitch fork out waitng to talk to Scott.. So let's lay some things to rest.. The man took Time out of his day to sit and talk to us, was very friendly , explained a lot of things and took our feed back.. He was a very nice guy and even went to get Bev a bottled water from his office. He's a guy that has taken over a Breezes resort that was being run into the ground and has down Phenominal things to it to bring it back to life. It was a pleasure meeting him.
Finally , top shelf liqoour will get you hammered if your not carefull, it's not mexico, they don't water it down and it's the same there as it is here in Canada! If your a jerk and expect people to wait on you hand and foot and your gonna be rude about it, then yes people would be more likely to give you worse service... Us , we are very polite people, had lunch daily with Barbie, and ate with some other hotel staff, laughed the whole time and made good friends, so we didn't have an issue in the least!
OUt of all my ventures to mexico, the states, Dominican and jamaica, This is the only resort i would travel back to.. ONLY if the same people that made our vacations special were all there!!
Miss And love you all!!
LOCK!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have a wicked view, ask for something closer to the beach
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Guest,
WOW! what can I say. It is easy to take care of people that want to be taken care of. You guys were great and my staff loved you. Simple as that. Thank you so much for coming and we do hope you visit us again.
Scotia, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I came to Jewel Resort to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. Everything was perfect. The staff was so friendly and helpful, the setting beautiful, food and entertainment top rate. Our only complaint was that we had to leave and go home to snow and zero temperatures. We are already planning on returning as soon as we can.

Room Tip: Beautiful sunrises from the oceanview rooms.
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us on your special occasion. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. We look forward to your return.
Rockville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have some suggestion to improve the resort rate ,

Please consider a resort map that shows the location of amenities that you have. for example the resort had a babysitting room for kids , but we did not know it until 2 days before we leave.

Please consider all entertainment activities on the schedule. forexample , i love to do yoga at the beach, but it was on the schedule only for one day. when i asked the yoga instructor, she said she teaches yoga everyday at 8 am at the beach, but it is not mentioned in the everyday schedule.

PLease prepare some juice and water everyday at the room refrigerator after house keeper cleans the room.

It would be great if we can use wifi internet at our room , not only at lobby!!!

TV is very important and it was disconnected for 2 days during our stay at the resort?!

please consider food VARIETY for breakfast, lunch , dinner. Eating same food every day was not a good experience.

please consider when Night singers do sing late night( 11pm) some people want to sleep. late night loud noise is annoying to sleep.

consider house keeper to clean every room every day, not every 2 other days!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Guest,
thanks you for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay. I am so sorry that you did not come to us with your challanges as we could have rectified them.
Thanks again we look forward to your return.
Deerfield, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Jamaica for the first time Jan 15-22.

THE SHUTTLE
The shuttle to and from the airport was very nice. Easy to find and quick service to the resort. Our shuttle did not stop along our route and we were the first ones to be dropped off. It was approx. 45 minutes on the way to the resort and about 60 minutes on the way back to the airport.

THE ROOM
Jewel Runaway Bay is incredible! We were greeted and seated by Shurline who took care of checking us in while a delicious tropic drink was prepared for us. WE DID NOT upgrade our room and after reading a lot of reviews I was nervous about this, but we were pleasantly surprised. Our premier room was wonderful, we had a fantastic view of the ocean and a stocked (water, champagne, red stripe and juice) mini fridge. The photos online are outdated as all of the lines have been replaced and their are wonderful white duvets on all of the beds. The towels were also top notch! The rooms are of course cleaned everyday, your fridge restocked and then the maid comes back and turns down your bed at night and changes out your towels again. This is so great! We loved our room and will request it next year.

The FOOD is so super good! We loved the jerk chicken wraps and freshly made nachos by the pool grill. Super good. We enjoyed the Japanese restaurant twice (chicken, steak, tuna, and shrimp). Bubba is very entertaining. The buffet is good always something different. We liked the starlight Mongolia grill, but it would be nice if you could put your names in late afternoon so you don't have to keep coming back to see if there is room. (just a suggestion). We also liked the Italian restaurant, but they have an interesting dress code. My husband was told to go and change his shoes (he had nice leather flip flops on). I found this interesting as he had on a nice dress pants while other dinners were allowed in with their white tennis shoes and we saw someone else in swim trunks. Kind of frustrating, but we're in Jamaica who cares!

THE DRINKS
Plenty of cold red stripe and red stripe light! The house red wine is great, the white not so much. We were pleasantly surprised to see Crown Royal! And of course there were plenty of yummy tropical drinks. Super great bartenders and Miguel will even bring you drinks on the beach.

THE GOLF
My husband golfed every day with Caddies Victor and David. Great guys with super great pointers! This course is long and fun. Very pretty and the grounds keepers are clearly out their every day. We brought our clubs which they gladly stored for us all week long.

EVERYTHING ELSE
We really enjoyed the manager's cocktail party. I won a 30 minute massage, which was so nice! We then enjoyed dinner by the pool listening to the sax player. Great food

The pools and swim up bar is wonderful, but we spent most of our days in the ocean or on the beach.

We recommend Chukka Cat for the Dunn's River Falls Tour. Those people really know how to entertain.

ALL AND ALL GREAT TRIP. We'll be back.....

Dear Guest,
thank you for staying with us as well as your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. We look forward to your return.
regards
Scott Robbins

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!