“Looking forward to our 3rd visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | North Coast Hwy, St. Ann, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Woodbridge, NJ
“Looking forward to our 3rd visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

On Thursday, Sept. 13, we will be returning to the Runaway Bay Beach & Golf resort for the 3rd time and are so looking forward to it. We booked with Breezes, but are now looking forward to all that the Jewel has to offer. Scott has been so great at commenting on everyone's reviews, I am hoping that I may get some clarification before we arrive. One of the reasons for our return to the most beautiful spot on earth is for the complimentary scuba diving that was offered by Breezes. We were told that Jewel would be honoring the complimentary scuba diving to those of who booked through Breezes. I hope that's still true. Also, we loved staying in the 2000 building (specifically, room 2136), and I'm hoping to be able to get a room in that building when we arrive and that it's not under construction. Some of the reviewers noted that there were now mini-fridges in all rooms? That's a plus!! As for the dining options, we have never eaten at the Starlight Grill because it was closed during our last 2 visits. I'm hoping it be open next week and the week after? I'm so happy that some of our friends are still at the resort, like Keisha and Egg Boy, and we can't wait to get back to see them again! Also can't wait for our 3:00 volleyball game, the Gem of the day, and meeting Scott in person!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Guest,
thank you for coming to the Jewel.
You can contact me by Private Message on this website and leave me your email address and I will contact you.
Regards,
Scott Robbins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
Dalton, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My husband and I traveled to this resort last October when it was Breezes and we fell in love with the place. It was our 6th visit to Jamaica and our first time to book a second trip to the same resort. We are looking foward to going back Oct. 23rd for a week this year. And are hoping under new management we have the same wonderful experience. We hope to get the room we had last year. We stayed in the annex that held the nurses station on the bottom floor facing the back garden towards the end of the annex close to the buffet. It gave us a lot of privacy to enjoy early morning coffee. The room had a king size bed with a huge bath, closet and storage area. We loved all the storage space for housing our snorkeling equipment. The room also had a medical refrigerator we requested and a nice comfortable sofa, desk and chair, dresser and tv.

The staff was so efficient and brought us anything we needed. We enjoyed all the water sports. We do not plan to take life jackets this year as the resort provided those when going out on their boat. They also had fins and snorkels, but I see the resort suggests guests bring their own gear now.

All of the restuarants had delicious food and we look foward to seeing some of our favorite people there again like Sherene who made wonderful drinks for us in the lobby bar area.

We canj't say enough good things about this place. We are sad to see it will be a family resort starting in November as we enjoyed the peace and quiet of having no children around. My husband likes a place where he can get away from work and relax

Room Tip: We had a lot of privacy being on the back garden in the annex that had the nurses station
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guest,
thank you for commenting on your previous stay before Jewel took over. We look forward to your coming to the Jewel next month.
Ruidoso, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This was our third time to this resort, first time since it has been taken over by Jewel. The arrival at the Montego Bay airport was very easy and we were taken to our bus very quickly. The ride was enjoyable and stopped just once for bathroom break and red stripe. When we arrived at the resort we were greeted with Welcome Home and alot of the staff greeted us by name, remembering us from last year. Especially Kirk that greeted us at the front and took our bags to the room. He remembered us from last year. Great guy! Check-in was a breeze and we were handed the drink of the day. We were upgraded to a third floor plunge pool room, but declined because we had another couple with us, which this was their second time there and we like the second floor and wanted rooms next to each other. We did appreciate the upgrade!

The rooms were the same as last year, a little dated, but clean, spacious and comfortable. They are renovating, but that takes time. We were in rooms 1021 and 1022 and loved them. We did not have any problems with mosquitos in the room and slept great. The housekeeping staff is wonderful and friendly.

The food was good, but not great. It seemed to us that the meat patties were not the same as last year and were only in the buffet sometimes. Breakfast is fabulous! How can you find something wrong when you have Egg Boy cooking you eggs for you each morning??? The staff at the buffet is great, especially Shamille. They take care of you. The burgers, jerk chicken and the grilled jerk chicken sandwiches are excellent. We all did not go hungry. Our friends did try the Starlite Grill which they did not like, but they don't like stirfry. The buffet beach party food was just good and the gala dinner around the pool was good. There was a managers reception before hand, which was very, very nice where they introduced the staff and management. Very sad that I didn't win anything. Overall, you will not starve!

The entertainment staff is superb!!!!! They are the greatest and will keep you going and entertained, if you want to be. Just to mention a few names, Whoopi, Gizzy and Sassy. Always a delight and are never too busy to stop and talk with you. They knew us by name. Omar at the swimup pool bar also remembered us by name and is a hoot at the pool. He will work your booty!!! A big shout out to the bartenders: Prince, Nate, Lennox, Shaunesse, Sherenne, Kemar, Kerrol, Alshane, Aldean and Kino and Kenroy taking pics. What a fantastic group of people. Please keep them! We only stayed at the swimup bar pool, which was cleaned daily, which they all are and is alot of fun.

My friend and I had the best pedicure and manicure that we have ever had. Simply great, as is the staff there.

Last, but not least, is GM, Scott Robbins who we met on several occassions. He always had the time to stop and talk with us. He is doing a great job and has a hard job with all the renovations going on, so ease up on him. This takes time! Barbara is a joy and great person, who always greeted us by name. Also want to mention, Keisha at the conceirge desk that is always helpful and smiling. She also called us by name, but had to keep reminding her to call us by our first names, not Mr. and Mrs. (She'll remember this) All in all, had a great vacation and would love to return, but don't know since it is no longer going to be adults only. What I learned from Scott is that it is going to be fantastic for families and we may take our kids there and we stay at Jewel Dunns. Keep up the great work and staff! Thank you for a great and relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: Stay in block 10 which are newer rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
thank you so much for staying with us at the Jewel Runaway Bay as well as your feedback on the resort. I appreciate your mention of our team members who have made your stay special.
We do look forward to your return whether it is at Dunn's or here at Runaway Bay.
Walters, OK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Vacation was horrible. It was not the same hotel that was in the photos. We stopped at the Jewel down the road. That looked like the photos where we were supposed to day. The lobby and rooms at our hotel Runnaway bay was terrible and outdated. The walls boarded up in the lobby looked horrible. The staff was great is the only nice thing I can say about this hotel. We usually stay at RIU hotels which are 100 times better than this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not go here!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us from August 9th until the 13th. I am sorry to hear that you were dissapointed in your room. Even though we are renovation the lobby as well as the rooms if we hear of any complaint we do try and rectify it as fast as we can. On the 10th my concierge manager called you to see how your vacation was going so far as we do with all guests and you said that all was well. We can only fix what we know is wrong.
Thanks again for staying with us and do hope you return to see the improvements.
Regards,
Scott Robbins.
Queens Village, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

The resort was very nice. This was my husbands first time in Jamaica and my fifth time. I have stayed at other resorts, but this resort was very nice. I have to give a special thanks to, "Norcleff the Restaurant Manager",who said whatever you want we will make it for you, which he did there was a Jamaican dish for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Which at other resorts they don't have. Keisha made sure I got the dates I requested, and the all the staff was exceptional friendly and made the trip great. The only thing is that they have to have more non-motorized sports and bug spray, the mosquitoes ate me up......LOL, other than that the trip was great and will return and recommend friends to come visit the resort.

Room Tip: choose the pool view room, better view than the garden view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear Guest,
thank you for staying with us at the Jewel. My managers and staff are great and that is what I always say to guests, that if you do not see it or you have anything that you need, all you have to do is ask us and we will do our best to get it. This will ensure that you have a good time instead of going back home dissapointed and then complaining about it.
pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

As a native of Jamaica, my husband and I, my sister and her boyfriend and my parents decided that it would be nice to visit and stay at a resort again as we had a great exerience the year before. We initially booked at Breezes in Trelawny as we stayed there before and had a wonderful time. Everything at Breezes in Trelawny was immaculate and on the up and up!!! Never bored.. About 2 months before our vacation, we recieved a call from Breezes letting us know that the hotel in Trelawany was closing for renovations so they would move us to the one in Runaway Bay. When we arrived I must say that I was really impressed as to how well kept the grounds were. We were greeted right off the transporation bus with a drink and I must say that checking in was great and effortless!!

The activities were good except they were few and far in between. They would have an activity that begun at lets say 1pm and end at 1:30pm and then nothing again until 4pm. Basically there were huge gaps of boredom but we made the best of it. The entertainment staff I must say was among the best set of people I have ever met. Sassy, Whoopie, Gizzy, Seymour and Dowayne was so entaining, energetic and friendly that they will remain unforgettable in my book. Make sure if you visit you meet them as they are unforgettable!! Three of my favorite bartenders Sherene, Arlene and Alshane... They were ever so friendly and always kept you engrossed in conversation. There was never a dull moment when I was in their presence. My waitstaff ladies Shurlene and Shamille.. LOVE THEM!!! Make sure you sit where they are serving. They made my experience inforgettable as well. The staff at Jade Samurai who made my sisters engagement and my anniversary dinner all the more special, NUFF RESPECT.. As for the worst, Garnett and Prince as well as the staff at the jerk chicken hut were so unfriendly that I was uncomfortable in their presence...AVOID THEM IF YOU CAN!!

As for the food, I was not impressed. There was not much of a variety and the pickings were very slim. They did not supply you with a lot of Jamaican food for people to experience out cuisine. The cleanliness was all the way up there at 100%. The management staff were very nice but very stiff. They need to relax a little. All in all, good hotel but they just need to ramp up the activities and ramp up on the food!!! Breezes was far more of the Jamaican experience that I craved.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to your return.
Regards
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

When we initially booked this resort was a part of the Superclubs family known formerly as Breezes Runaway Bay. This trip was booked with Jamaica World Travel in Decatur, GA owned by Michele Kow who I would not reccommend to my worst enemy. A special thanks to Barbara, Stacy, Keisha, Angelia who helped fix many of the issues that we had with the travel agent and our bookings-heaven only knows what the travel agent/thief did with the funds that were to be allocated to the resort when they were paid for months prior. We were a group of 26 women from Atlanta, Fl, Chicago, & NY. I was hoping that whatever management issues (Jewel vs. Superclubs)there were that it would not impact our trip. I will say that the resort is nice...and it DOES have plenty of potential BUT there are issues that need to be addressed and it would possibly best to close the resort and fix all that needs to be fixed then reopen to the public. Airport transfers were ok but it was disappointing and a bit embarrassing to pull up at others resorts prior which had flowers outside, the resort name etc...then to have to pull up to the JRB resort and not see a sign or anything that said Jewel Runaway Bay anywhere but on the garbage bins. My roommate and others not in our group did not want to get off of the bus and perhaps thought that we were at the wrong resort because of this!! your clients/customers should never be impacted at all. The GM Scott did explain to us about why the sign was not there but I still feel that there SHOULD have been something out front to signify the resort name.

Overall we had a blast and the resort staff, front desk, concierge, entertainment crew were very pleasant and made us forget our worries. Some people did have issues but when spoken of they were addressed. There was construction being done but not to the point of it being a huge bother or distraction to us. As the resort is going to be a family oriented resort soon we probably will try to do our annual trip at another adult only resort. If traveling with family I would definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for spending time with us at the Jewel and I am glad to hear that you and your group enjoyed themselves on the property. We look forward to your return.
Scott Robbins

Been to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!