“A vacation must for families with small children, but read the reviews & make sure this is right for you.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Franklyn D Resort & Spa

You added Franklyn D Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Franklyn D Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street, Runaway Bay 99999, Jamaica   |
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Wahiawa, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

Bottom line up front: this an old but very clean hotel and the nannies are as fabulous as everyone says. There is a sand beach to play on, but 2 feet into the water it is rocky and full of coral. You'll be disappointed if the main thing you are looking for in a vacation is white sand beach. If you are family with young children (mine are 2.5 and 15 months) and you are looking for a vacation that will allow to have great family time as well as romantic couple time and relaxing alone time, then this is the place for you. If you want ammentities, then the FDR will not be a good match.

We just returned from our trip 11-18 December 2010. I read all the reviews and was torn between FDR and Beaches. I selected FDR because of the nannies and the cost (it was 30% - $2000 less) than Beaches. This was the right decision for our family. First, it rained a lot which made the nannies even more of a godsend. I could have been at the nicest 5 star in Jamaica and it would have been miserable in the rain with 2 toddlers. The nannies kept my kids busy (thanks Lisa and Nicola!) and even got in the pool with my son in the rain. All while my husband and I sat under a large umbrella drinking pina coladas and reading until the rain stopped. My kids are in day care everyday and I would not have been happy dropping them at a kids club on vacation. With the nannies, they could be with us, go do a craft, come back, go to the beach, come back, pet the rabbits, come back. My 2 year old loved calling the shots and we loved the options having a nanny gave us.

Rooms. The huge rooms might not have been new but the were sparkling clean. We had the least expensive room and it was giant. 2 full baths, a large living room where the kids slept, seperated from the master bedroom by a galley kitchen. That separation allowed my husband and I to have some romantic time alone that a traditional hotel would not.

We were givien 2 nannies when we arrived. I found out later that most of the families with 2 under 2 were. The nannies basically do this for free when the resort isn't full in the hopes of earning a good tip, because that is what they live off. They are also hoping you will hire them for extra hours at night. I originally was going to have the nanny stay every other night, but when I realized that was how they made their money I decided to have one stay every night for 3 hours. It was the best decision I made. For $20 a day my husband and I enjoyed more child-free dinners in one week then we had in 2 years. Even at the family beach dinner my son got to stay with us and enjoy the show while the nanny walked our fussy baby. After dinner nanny would bathe and dress our kids for bed while we went and enjoyed a couple of drinks at the bar. Doing it every night made it even more of a treat and made our vacation extra special. TIPS: I polled most of the other familes and we were tipping our nannies $20-25 per day at the end of the week. You pay for babysitting each night.

The pools are old, but very clean. The tiles are slippery (as I am sure you will read in other reviews) but the owner, Frank (who is there everyday), is replacing them with textured concrete and non-slip tiles. What Frank really needs to do, though, is a complete rebuild of the main pool, toodler pool and adult jacuzzi. It is time for these to be re-done especially since the the resort does not have a swim beach. If the swimming pools were redone I would give the hotel 4 stars, instead of 3, for facilities.

Food. We enjoyed the food 80% of the time. One night the Italian restaurant was the only one open and that was disappointing. Had the seafood pasta been as described, it wouldn't have been so bad. The Jamaican restaurant was only open one night. It was excellent and we would have liked to eaten there again. The beach grill is very good and my kids enjoyed the children's dinner buffet. Servings are small, but feel free to ask for another entree or appetizer and they will happily oblige. Personally, I liked the small servings...I only gained 5 lbs instead of 10!!!

We had no complaints about the transfers to and from the hotel. Some of the seatbelts were misssing, but the van was clean, on time, driven carefully and we were able to buckle our kids.

The kids club, playground and most activities are designed for younger children. I would not recommend the FDR for families with children over 8, however the tweens who were there were having a great times. Several had been coming for years, a couple had special needs and preferred having the nanny to play with as the went crab hunting and played. Goat racing and crab racing were big hits. The goat race had been cancelled due to rain, but my husband went and talked to the manager and said "hey they are just goats, they live outside. It has been raining for 3 days and my kid has been promised goats," 20 minutes later the goats were there and every family came out in the rain to enjoy the game. Experiences like that make the FDR special and that is where they need to continue to focus.

My husband's perspective: a great place to relax. Don't look for action and adventure in the resort, but a quiet family break with excellent opportunities for couple time. If you are a gym rat, come with modest expectations. For the hungry husband, the staff is willing to let you double up on entrees and put a double shot in your drink. Great for extended families wishings to vacation together and groups of friends with kids.

We will be going back next year and we hope to travel with one or two other families. It is such a small resort and the groups that were there were having a fabulous time.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

We visited FDR in November with our three young children ages 4, 2 and half and 14 months. I had read all the reviews and had an idea of what to expect. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the accomdations. It was incredibley spacious and just what a family like ours needed. A kitchen, dining and sitting areas and two large bedrooms on the second floor with 2 large full washrooms.

Our vacation nannies were fantastic and took excellent care of not only our childrens needs but ours as well. I cant say enough about them or the staff in general. Everyone from the front desk to the restaurant hostess were extremely polite and friendly. The staff actually took the time out to learn my childrens names and greeted them whenever they saw them. I have never been to any resort where staff knew my name let alone my childrens names. The children were kept busy by planned daily activities and adventures. My kids had a blast!

The food was plenty and there was enough variety. The jerk food at the grill was very delicious. Being used to very flavourful and spicy food I did find the food a little bland but I assume that is to accomodate everyones palate. Drinks were great and the children really enjoyed the virgin pina coladas.

The only real negative I found was the access to the beach next door. The beach on the premises is a kids beach which is fantastic as its small enough to always keep an eye on your little ones. However if you are a beach lover such as myself its just not enough of a beach so you have go to the beach next door which is beautiful but very awkward to access. You simply can not walk onto it, you have to go pass a gate/wall then jump on rocks and sandbags etc. It was a bit tricky doing this with the kids in tow.

All in all it was a great vacation. I have taken my children on vacation with me and this was the first time ive actually been able to have a romantic dinner with my husband and just have nice meals as a couple everyday. I highly recommend this place to anyone with a young family, you will truly appreciate having the nanny ( I have a live in nanny and this was even better) .

We will defintely be returning to FDR.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Royal Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

We can't say enough great things about FDR! While it may not be the Ritz Carlton, the accommodations were comfortable, clean and kid friendly. The entire staff were extremely attentive to all our needs. The first suite we stayed in had a front porch facing the beautiful gardens, a bedroom and a large living room area with a kitchenette. We loved it, however, unfortunately, the air conditioner broke. Without hesitation the staff moved us to a 2-story, 2 bedroom suite overlooking the ocean. It was amazing! Our refrigerator was always stocked with pb&j, fruits, juices and more. Overall, the food was great too. Breakfast was a buffet consisting of pastries, eggs, breads, cereals, fruits, etc. The grill was available all day and served delicious jerk chicken! Dinner was either buffet or sit down depending on the evening and menu and there are two "adult only" restaurants. The Pier, served a delicious variety of Italian dishes while you enjoy the incredible beach/ocean scenery. The Overproof Restaurant was a great way to try some delicious Jamaican dishes. The Sea Cotton Beach Grill had a great variety of kid friendly foods AND the desserts were scrumptious. The bartenders, wait staff, and event staff were helpful, fun, attentive and really made it a great vacation. The pool was large enough to enjoy it and the slide/pool was so much fun. The beach was the perfect size for families with young kids. A relaxing spa, a glass bottom boat, a trip to Ocho Rios and more. THE BEST PART was our nanny. This was the first time we had a vacation and the kids had a vacation! Our nanny was wonderful! She figured out routines immediately, kept the kids busy all day long and was nurturing, caring and loving as if our kids were her own. At night we had her babysit for a few hours so we could enjoy the "adult only" restaurants. I can't say enough wonderful things about our nanny. Without her, we wouldn't have enjoyed our vacation in the same way. This is truly a vacation for all! As parents of young kids, mine were 4 and 2.5, we don't have the opportunity to have time to ourselves often and at FDR there is plenty of it! Our kids didn't want to leave and can't wait to go back. If you have young children and want to have a great vacation, this is the place for you!

Titusville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

I had a beautiful wedding ceremony here- it is my second marriage, and the ceremony was everything I had imagined! Trishawna Davidson was my wedding planner, and did a wonderful job with the decorated arch, table decor, cake, flowers and music. Lorenza Green was an awesome photographer. We had a ceremony with my 2 sons, 13 and 15. Our stay at FDR was excellent. The highlights were the morning power-walks up in the mountains across from the resort, followed by a swim in the ocean- and then breakfast!! We all enjoyed snorkeling-- the boat went out a few times a day-- and Capt Jack was funny and informative! We also enjoyed ping-pong and kayaking. My sons made lots of friends at the teen center and enjoyed nightly planned teen activities such as capture the flag, on the beach. The food was excellent, and i was glad to have a chance to sample authentic Jamaican dishes. The staff was friendly and a joy to be around! We were lucky to have stayed during the Jamaican Independence day celebration, and would like to return on our first anniversary next year. Our room was spacious and had a breathtaking view of the ocean. The stocked refrigerator was very nice to have. The beach was small and rocky, so when we went to swim we actually walked over to the area where the Breezes Resort had their beach, to swim where the beach was all sandy. Cant wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Cape Coral, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

We enjoyed our stay immensely. It is a bit more rustic than we are accostomed but the hospitality and warmth of the staff completely compensated for that.. Our nanny Andrene was fantastic. She was great with our 5 1/2 yo son and he took to her immediately.My husband and I felt as if she had been handpicked for our family it was such a perfect fit.
The accomodations were spacious and clean. The food was delicious and the staff was fantastic.Big Blue Slide is a blast and snorkeling everyday was delightful.
Did I mention the staff was great?!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

We had a great time and went with several other families. We have a 3 yr old and a 6 month old so we were a little hesitant at first, but like everyone else, after being there a few hours, we were very comfortable. We actually ended up getting a second nanny for $20 a day, and this the BEST decision we couldve made. They staggered their lunches and really helped make the trip truly amazing. We loved both of the nannies Kerise and Sophie and highly recommend them. They are best friends and work great as a team.. BIG Shout out to them both. The nannies are what truly MAKE this resort incredible. The resort upgraded us to ocean view rooms and we really enjoyed sitting out on the balcony in the morning watching the ocean. One thing I didnt like was how far the resort is from the the montego bay airport. It took over an hour to get there and that is hard when you have young ones... but still worth the drive for the experience at the resort.
A few things I would like to see is better equiptment at the resort.
Some of their toys, chairs, bikes, etc are really outdated. Also, I feel like they needed some better energy at the bars, the staff seemed a little bothered at times. The food is just ok. Good stuff for the kids. We loved the beach bbq that they did and they had a little talent show which we really enjoyed watching and participating in.
I would like to check out the beach next door if we do go back one day (which I am sure we will). I hear that it is a very nice beach. My son celebrated his bday there and they did a complimentarty bday party on the beach for him which was really nice. All the kids had so much fun. After going to this resort it will be very hard to go anywhere else with small children.. this is the way to go!!! One last thing, the pool area is extremely slippery.. I recommend that you bring good water shoes that have some grip on the bottom.
We miss you FDR and hope to be back soon!!!

Queens, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

Greetings from the Rose family,
My husband Raymond, my son Jaden and I (Tahirah) just returned from an 8 day vacation in beautiful Jamaica and we absolutely miss being spoiled already. We stayed at the Franklyn D. Resort which was a very warm and comfortable place to stay for the entire family, my son loved being in the pool and in the sea everyday, and the adults enjoyed the calaloo for breakfast and rum punch at the bar. But, the best and most memorable part of our trip was not Dunn's River like one would expect but of the warm and friendly staff members but in particular my son's nanny Althea Nelson who was the highlight of our trip. This woman made us feel special, comfortable and most importantly took care of my 2 year old son Jaden like he was her very own offspring. My son is still asking for her and cried when he said his goodbyes to her. "I wanna go with Althea in Jamaica" is his new slogan. My experience with Althea have guaranteed my family booking a trip next year and requesting only Ms. Althea Nelson to be with us.... We miss u Althea, muah xoxo.
Rose family.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Iberostar Grand Rose Hall

Been to Franklyn D Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!